Pages:
Author

Topic: Obama or Romney ? - page 9. (Read 21126 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
October 17, 2012, 09:37:13 PM
They might be a net positive for the near term, but what about the future. The slave owners 200 years ago also thought it was a net positive to own black slaves, they didn't think their sons and daughters will one day be wage slaves to support a 25% unemployed black population that rely on welfare/food stamps.

The problem there is not the former slaves (or their descendents), but the programs themselves. Before welfare, Harlem was a relatively affluent area:
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003
October 17, 2012, 09:34:27 PM
I have seen them doing jobs that we can not fill in Maryland without them.  On the Eastern Shore we do not have enough Mexicans to pick the fields. 

Maryland is not unique. The same can be said about practically every state.

What are Mexicans doing this job?  If they can "make a living" from it, why can't Americans?  What's different?

M

Americans will not settle for working $7 an hour, in a hot field for 14 hours. If the wage was higher, the business would be unprofitable. Everyone has their price and the price of an American is too high.

That's false, if they can't find anyone to work the fields, that's because their pay is too low. It won't be unprofitable if everyone was paying higher wages and raising prices. Food is too cheap in this country, the waste of food is pretty disturbing to be honest (estimated 40% food produced go to waste).
legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 4543
diamond-handed zealot
October 17, 2012, 09:33:59 PM

Fuck you.  We're already paying 6% variable and the only likely direction is already up.  Your talking about a group of people for which 50% can't find employment that actually uses the skills they were promised were valuable.  Older people are working longer because of the tough economic times and so fresh graduates can't find jobs.  How much more burden do you expect us to bear?  Our "elders" have already given us a pile of steaming shit for a country when they were handed a land of opportunity.  We won't take much more abuse before you start seeing violence.  I personally am more anti-violence than almost anyone my age I know, but I can't control my peers.

whoa buddy, agree with you on the generational warfare, agree that times are tough, where exactly do you propose the money comes from?
legendary
October 17, 2012, 09:32:03 PM
I support feedom of movement, I would like to see the borders opened much more than they are now, and practical policies and procudures put into place for people to immigrate legally.

You don't see US states putting up border patrolls and inspection points, this freedom of movement has been a great boon to the US. Why would we not see similar benefits from having national borders unrestricted?

++

I'm glad my family immigrated when Ellis Island was open, it helped us a lot. I want others to have that same freedom. We obviously need to find ways to more productively integrate immigrants. Each person represents a tremendous potential both economically and socially. Only seeing the potential downsides to immigration seems un-american to me.

Immigration, illegal or otherwise, is only a problem when:

a) the country is getting too full
b) immigrants come for a free lunch

a isn't happening
b is happening from mexico because of government handouts.   get rid of the handouts "stealing from peter to pay paul" and you won't have this problem anymore.

M

B is irrelevant.    Yes, people have been given handouts, but Mexicans are not getting anywhere near what they put in.  They are a net positive to the economy.  We are FUCKING ourselves by encouraging hard workers to leave.  Maybe I am in an usual area (Maryland) but I have only seen Mexicans working hard on roads, picking crops and doing outdoor work.  I have seen them doing jobs that we can not fill in Maryland without them.  On the Eastern Shore we do not have enough Mexicans to pick the fields. 

They might be a net positive for the near term, but what about the future. The slave owners 200 years ago also thought it was a net positive to own black slaves, they didn't think their sons and daughters will one day be wage slaves to support a 25% unemployed black population that rely on welfare/food stamps.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
October 17, 2012, 09:21:38 PM
there is nothing, NOTHING! that will create "enough" revenue

not defense cuts, not social security, certainly not the more politically palatable pittances bandied about by one candidate or another

it is all smoke and mirrors now, until the wheels come off in earnest

That's ludicrous. While it is most likely that the problems will not be remedied, it certainly is possible with persistent focus and time to get out of the debt problem we have. Canada went from ~64% GDP public debt in 1997 to ~28% public debt in 2008. I don't think we WILL course correct, but its definitely possible.

While the debt servicing is still lower than the tax revenue there is still a posibility of reducing the debt by cutting spending. Once the debt payments rise higher than the tax revenue the only way to eliminate the debt would be to raise taxes or print more money. To anybody who is familiar with math, it should be obvious that we only have a short time to fix things (balance the budget, pay down debt, etc.) before the situation gets completely out of control.

What I would like to see happen: income tax should be flattened, exemptions and credits eliminated so there is a single tax rate for all income. At the same time, the spending should be drastically cut: Close oversea military bases, increase minimum social security receiving age, sell off national parks (preferably to states to make state parks or to non-profits who will care for them), raise the interest rate on student loans, give all federal employees a 10% paycut, and whatever else can be cut. After the tax revenue rises above the spending, the surplus can be used to pay down the debt, eliminating that huge chunk of the budget that goes to debt servicing. After the debt is eliminated, taxes should be lowered (still keeping it as a flat income tax so everybody benefits from the lowering) and governemnt services can be expanded.

Fuck you.  We're already paying 6% variable and the only likely direction is already up.  Your talking about a group of people for which 50% can't find employment that actually uses the skills they were promised were valuable.  Older people are working longer because of the tough economic times and so fresh graduates can't find jobs.  How much more burden do you expect us to bear?  Our "elders" have already given us a pile of steaming shit for a country when they were handed a land of opportunity.  We won't take much more abuse before you start seeing violence.  I personally am more anti-violence than almost anyone my age I know, but I can't control my peers.
October 17, 2012, 09:01:25 PM
No, there's nothing wrong at all. Different cultures have different tolerances.

Differences exist even from person to person.
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
October 17, 2012, 08:54:10 PM
I have seen them doing jobs that we can not fill in Maryland without them.  On the Eastern Shore we do not have enough Mexicans to pick the fields. 

What are Mexicans doing this job?  If they can "make a living" from it, why can't Americans?  What's different?

M

Americans do not want to pick fields.  The hourly price has exceeded $10 an hour here.  Higher then that and it gets too expensive to farm.  

Mexicans=food security.

There's something wrong with this picture.

M

No, there's nothing wrong at all. Different cultures have different tolerances.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004
October 17, 2012, 08:49:16 PM

M

Americans do not want to pick fields.  The hourly price has exceeded $10 an hour here.  Higher then that and it gets too expensive to farm.  

Mexicans=food security.

M

Maybe so, but it is reality in many places. 
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
October 17, 2012, 08:46:48 PM

M

Mexicans=food security.

M
legendary
October 17, 2012, 08:45:29 PM

M

Mexicans=food security.

Activity: 56
Merit: 1
October 17, 2012, 08:45:19 PM

M

Americans will not settle for working $7 an hour, in a hot field for 14 hours. If the wage was higher, the business would be unprofitable. Everyone has their price and the price of an American is too high.
legendary
diamond-handed zealot
October 17, 2012, 08:43:19 PM

M

they can, all they have to do is put down the bong and go bust fucking ass in the field for 14 hours a day
legendary
October 17, 2012, 08:37:25 PM

M
October 17, 2012, 08:34:03 PM

legendary
October 17, 2012, 08:30:29 PM
Why he hasn't disclosed which loopholes he want to close on the Federal level? because that would be too easy for Obama to steal, Obama has already stolen his idea of "closing loopholes" shown by yesterday's debate. Of course Obama has no idea which loopholes to close, since Obama has ZERO record of closing them after having the job for 4 years. Romney has the experience and the record, and that's good enough for me to believe him.

This post highlights the problem with politics in America.  Ideas on how to fix the country cannot be stolen.  If it is a good idea I do not care of Ron Paul, Romney or Obama it. 

There is no secret sauce, there is no secret idea that Romney has to fix the country.  The problem is not the ideas, it is the resolve of getting them done.  This requires BOTH sides to co-operate.  So far they do not seem to be able to do that. 

Sure it can be. In business, people steal ideas all the time, and Romney is 100% aware of it, this is why he don't want to give specifics. I disagree that idea is not important, idea is very important, it differentiates between the right way and the wrong way, if ideas are not important, then it's like saying being right or wrong is not important. Also even if everyone agrees on the right idea, it's still important who implements it. If Obama just steals Romney's idea and try to implement, I would say it'll probably fail, because Obama simply don't have the business sense, experience and intelligence to successfully implement Romney's ideas.

Sorry.  The only magic that Romney has is magic underwear. 

Romney is lying when he says he can do this without more taxes and without defense cuts. 

It IS possible to balance the budget and not kill the economy but cuts need to be across the board including defense.  And you can not do it while keeping both the middle class tax cut Obama gave us (the 2% off of fica) AND keeping the Regan cuts for the rich (top rate at 35% vs 39%).  Math is math.

This can only be done if both sides give in SUBSTANTIALLY. 
legendary
October 17, 2012, 08:24:02 PM
I support feedom of movement, I would like to see the borders opened much more than they are now, and practical policies and procudures put into place for people to immigrate legally.

You don't see US states putting up border patrolls and inspection points, this freedom of movement has been a great boon to the US. Why would we not see similar benefits from having national borders unrestricted?

++

I'm glad my family immigrated when Ellis Island was open, it helped us a lot. I want others to have that same freedom. We obviously need to find ways to more productively integrate immigrants. Each person represents a tremendous potential both economically and socially. Only seeing the potential downsides to immigration seems un-american to me.

a isn't happening
b is happening from mexico because of government handouts.   get rid of the handouts "stealing from peter to pay paul" and you won't have this problem anymore.

M

B is irrelevant.    Yes, people have been given handouts, but Mexicans are not getting anywhere near what they put in.  They are a net positive to the economy.  We are FUCKING ourselves by encouraging hard workers to leave.  Maybe I am in an usual area (Maryland) but I have only seen Mexicans working hard on roads, picking crops and doing outdoor work.  I have seen them doing jobs that we can not fill in Maryland without them.  On the Eastern Shore we do not have enough Mexicans to pick the fields. 
legendary
diamond-handed zealot
October 17, 2012, 08:15:32 PM

not defense cuts, not social security, certainly not the more politically palatable pittances bandied about by one candidate or another

That's ludicrous. While it is most likely that the problems will not be remedied, it certainly is possible with persistent focus and time to get out of the debt problem we have. Canada went from ~64% GDP public debt in 1997 to ~28% public debt in 2008. I don't think we WILL course correct, but its definitely possible.

While the debt servicing is still lower than the tax revenue there is still a posibility of reducing the debt by cutting spending. Once the debt payments rise higher than the tax revenue the only way to eliminate the debt would be to raise taxes or print more money. To anybody who is familiar with math, it should be obvious that we only have a short time to fix things (balance the budget, pay down debt, etc.) before the situation gets completely out of control.

What I would like to see happen: income tax should be flattened, exemptions and credits eliminated so there is a single tax rate for all income. At the same time, the spending should be drastically cut: Close oversea military bases, increase minimum social security receiving age, sell off national parks (preferably to states to make state parks or to non-profits who will care for them), raise the interest rate on student loans, give all federal employees a 10% paycut, and whatever else can be cut. After the tax revenue rises above the spending, the surplus can be used to pay down the debt, eliminating that huge chunk of the budget that goes to debt servicing. After the debt is eliminated, taxes should be lowered (still keeping it as a flat income tax so everybody benefits from the lowering) and governemnt services can be expanded.

thanks for the reasoned post...but

per my post above, the rubicon has been crossed, the time for these bold measures was two administrations ago, now the only exit is inflation
legendary
October 17, 2012, 08:11:41 PM

++

a isn't happening

M
Activity: 518
October 17, 2012, 05:54:16 PM

legendary
October 17, 2012, 05:36:54 PM
Why he hasn't disclosed which loopholes he want to close on the Federal level? because that would be too easy for Obama to steal, Obama has already stolen his idea of "closing loopholes" shown by yesterday's debate. Of course Obama has no idea which loopholes to close, since Obama has ZERO record of closing them after having the job for 4 years. Romney has the experience and the record, and that's good enough for me to believe him.

This post highlights the problem with politics in America.  Ideas on how to fix the country cannot be stolen.  If it is a good idea I do not care of Ron Paul, Romney or Obama it. 

There is no secret sauce, there is no secret idea that Romney has to fix the country.  The problem is not the ideas, it is the resolve of getting them done.  This requires BOTH sides to co-operate.  So far they do not seem to be able to do that. 

Sure it can be. In business, people steal ideas all the time, and Romney is 100% aware of it, this is why he don't want to give specifics. I disagree that idea is not important, idea is very important, it differentiates between the right way and the wrong way, if ideas are not important, then it's like saying being right or wrong is not important. Also even if everyone agrees on the right idea, it's still important who implements it. If Obama just steals Romney's idea and try to implement, I would say it'll probably fail, because Obama simply don't have the business sense, experience and intelligence to successfully implement Romney's ideas.
Pages:
Jump to: