Pages:
Author

Topic: Octominer B8PLUS 8 PCIe Slot Mining Board (Motherboard, integrated CPU) - page 22. (Read 35234 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 502
The CPU fan spins at 100% making a high pitched sound louder than all my GPUs so is there a way to reduce it?
Is this not possible?
If it's not possible with software, where can we get a low noise adapter cable?
I can't find any 2 pin low noise adapter so I'm thinking of using a 4 pin low noise adapter <> 3 pin to 2 pin adapter <> fan. My rigs run headless and normal motherboards prevents the system from booting when it detects no fan is connect to the CPU fan header so will this do the same?
Activity: 630
Merit: 502
The CPU fan spins at 100% making a high pitched sound louder than all my GPUs so is there a way to reduce it?
Is this not possible?
If it's not possible with software, where can we get a low noise adapter cable?
Activity: 25
Merit: 0
I finally got it to work! reinstalled windows 10, disabled updates, changed a bunch of things windows settings and now i have x6 1070's. running,  a bit toasty at 65 C... I will keep moving that down, 65 is too hot I think.

OC:

Power Limit: 79
core clock +114
memory clock +650

Has been stable for 2 hours.

Glad to hear that you got everything running smoothly.
What was the issue before that caused instability when you added more than 5 GPU's ?

I could not figure it out, I had to do a clean OS install, blocked all windows updates and it worked.

It sometimes beeps 5 times when I restart it but now it does boot (we were troubleshooting by chat yesterday) to get it to boot i just kept restarting the mobo several times, there probably was some sort of software bios glitch or who knows, but got sorted out flashing bios a few times and restarting the system a few times.
Activity: 248
Merit: 8
I finally got it to work! reinstalled windows 10, disabled updates, changed a bunch of things windows settings and now i have x6 1070's. running,  a bit toasty at 65 C... I will keep moving that down, 65 is too hot I think.

OC:

core clock +114
memory clock +650

Glad to hear that you got everything running smoothly.
What was the issue before that caused instability when you added more than 5 GPU's ?
Activity: 1246
Merit: 274
Octominer has yet to reply to my request for this information, so could someone who has this board please send me a simple drawing of its mounting hole locations.

Thanks!
Rich

I'll see if I can trace out the mounting holes with measurements. We'll be in the market for a frame if you can make one to fit this motherboard. Smiley

I just sent you a pm with a tracing + measurements for the mounting holes.

OC:

core clock +114
memory clock +650

Just got mine.

Is there a trick to powering up the server (non ATX) power supply?  Mine is completely dead.  I tried a couple of different power cords, so that's not it.

Did you figure it out? you have to "jump start" the psu. Google PSU JUMP it is easy and tons of youtube videos on how to do it.
Guys I am having issues connecting 5+ gpus.

I have their mobo, 128 ssd, 8 gb ram and their ATX PSU. For some reason windows is giving me a freaking hard time getting more than 4 GPUS STABLE, 5 gpus and windows gets choppy, 6 and it wont even load. Suggestions?

I have been installing one by one, turning the rig on, off, next gpu, on, off, and does not work. I change them slots, connectors, not sure what is going on here. any ideas would be appreciated. THANKS.!

Have you increased windows' virtual memory? http://1stminingrig.com/best-windows-setup-configuration-tweaks-for-mining/

Yes I did. I just hooked up my 6th gpu and it ran, very slow, in the desktop i can move the mouse but I cant open anything. I try Start, and it does nt open, i try nice hash, and it loads for a bit and closes itself... weird. i pressed cntrl alt delete and gave me an error: failure to display security and shut down options. the sign in process couldnt display security and sign in options when ctrl alt delete was pressed. if windows doesnt respond, press Esc or use the power switch to restart....
Activity: 47
Merit: 1

I have their mobo, 128 ssd, 8 gb ram and their ATX PSU. For some reason windows is giving me a freaking hard time getting more than 4 GPUS STABLE, 5 gpus and windows gets choppy, 6 and it wont even load. Suggestions?

I have been installing one by one, turning the rig on, off, next gpu, on, off, and does not work. I change them slots, connectors, not sure what is going on here. any ideas would be appreciated. THANKS.!

good luck, I also could not get windows to cooperate with more than 4 gpus.   I have been running rock solid in linux however (hiveos and smos both tested)
Activity: 349
Merit: 102

Have you increased windows' virtual memory? http://1stminingrig.com/best-windows-setup-configuration-tweaks-for-mining/

Activity: 558
Merit: 194
I don't see how the front panel power button is going to do anything when the only thing connecting the server PSU to the motherboard are 2 couple of 6-pin power connectors.

At any rate, I pulled out one of my spare Delta 2400W PSU's and the board posted and I'm installing the OS now.

It ain't pretty, but you gotta do what you gotta do.  Smiley

Octominer has already reached out regarding the PSU.  In fact I just got done chatting with Harry and he has already issued me a refund for the PSU and the portion of the shipping charge that was related to the PSU.  Amazing service!  Fortunately I had another PSU I could use until I decide what I want to do long term.  I have until after the Chinese New Year to make up my mind. Smiley
Activity: 74
Just got mine.

Is there a trick to powering up the server (non ATX) power supply?  Mine is completely dead.  I tried a couple of different power cords, so that's not it.

By default, the MB will boot as soon as power is available.  If powered down, the power switch (front panel header) will turn it back on.
Activity: 558
Merit: 194
Just got mine.

Activity: 248
Merit: 8
Got my board today, had to pay customs duty of around $45, but thats fine. Wish it was declared even lower.

One question, how many 6 pin ports we need to pin for minimum 1 card start for trial? There are total 5 in Mobo.

Also if I use pendrive to boot, no space for both keyboard and mouse, guys what are you using. Any tips.

We use small USB hubs when we have multiple items plugged into the USB and need more ports.
Also, the case we sell has 2x extra USB ports in the front.
Test setup:

Octominer motherboard
* Crucial 4GB DDR4 SODIMM
* No storage.  Using PXE netboot.
1x HD 7950 Monica BIOS 1
HP 656364-B21 1200W Common Slot Platinum Plus
PSU breakout board
VGA-plus-USB Ethernet KVM
Ubuntu Server 14.04.5 LTS - Kernel 4.4.0-78
Radeon 15.12 Linux drivers

Results:

Hooking up the PSU was fairly straightforward.  I simply connected every 6-pin plug on the motherboard to be sure it was getting enough power.  I'm certain all of them were not necessary for this test, so I can try fewer connections to see where the limits are.

I enabled PXE boot, and configured my PXE/DHCP server with its MAC address.  

Switched on power.  Got 5 beeps.  Did not stop it from posting, though.

Linux started, and everything appears to work the first time.  I am reusing a disk image from an AM3+ build.

Power draw with no GPUs.
* 20 Watts @ idle from the wall.
* 6 Watts when the motherboard is powered down.  The PSU does not turn itself off.  I will experiment with this later.

I will try fitting some more cards this weekend.  There is roughly 50 mm between slots (PCB to PCB).  

So far, good stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/LG7EjBQ.png

https://i.imgur.com/ilTWmLP.png

https://i.imgur.com/kVknbvq.png

https://i.imgur.com/B7yOGVP.png
Activity: 1
I bought the case and motherboard.  I'm running 4 x 1080 TIs and 1 x 1070 TI.  There may be space for one more 2 slot card (possibly an FTW3 or Duke) They were too long to fit into the case with the intake fans attached, so I moved the fans to the outside of the case.  The fans are amazing, but loud!  They're so loud, that I can't stand the noise and currently have only a couple running at 7V.  Temps are good.  I'm waiting for a DC-to-DC buck to arrive and will then adjust the voltage using the potentiometer. Hopefully, I can run them at 5 or 6V.
legendary
Activity: 1457
Merit: 1014
got mine today to, so lets see how that will work out Wink
Picked up the boards today.  Starting my tests.
Activity: 10
Got my board today, had to pay customs duty of around $45, but thats fine. Wish it was declared even lower.

One question, how many 6 pin ports we need to pin for minimum 1 card start for trial? There are total 5 in Mobo.

Also if I use pendrive to boot, no space for both keyboard and mouse, guys what are you using. Any tips.

Pages:
Jump to: