Pages:
Author

Topic: Octominer B8PLUS 8 PCIe Slot Mining Board (Motherboard, integrated CPU) - page 21. (Read 35234 times)

Activity: 106
Merit: 0
Can someone confirm that this is actually a 4u rack mount case, with a cover? From what I'm seeing, it appears to be too small for the cards + power cables and power supplies? (I ordered 1 server PSU and 1 atx PSU, was assuming both would fit.
Activity: 25
So this morning I took the time to move my 4 1080tis from biostar 12 GPU board (which was a pain to get all 4 cards working) to the octominer board.

It was very easy to get up and running and I'm impressed.  A little troubleshooting, but no pulling out my hair trying to figure out why the cards wouldn't work with risers.  Also, I didn't have to make any modifications to the octominer board bios before I started hashing.  Right now running Windows 10 with Awesome Miner, (using a SATA SSD) but might try hiveos sometime.

Only have 4 cards and left a space between them, but I could see it be quite tight with all 8 cards.

Would be interested in hearing folks that are using all 8 1080ti cards "open air" without a case - how are you getting rid of the heat? Right now I just have a box fan on top.

Here's a pic of my setup (pardon the mess)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nlwimn63m5l8grb/octominer.jpg?dl=0

it depends on which 1080 tis you are talking about. I have 6 1070 zotac minis and 2 1080 ti aus strix oc.

I have to run the fans on the 1080s at 70% and they stay under 70c. Running no external fans, but I do have a few extra case fans I might start running to lower the gpu fan RPMS.
Activity: 53
So this morning I took the time to move my 4 1080tis from biostar 12 GPU board (which was a pain to get all 4 cards working) to the octominer board.

It was very easy to get up and running and I'm impressed.  A little troubleshooting, but no pulling out my hair trying to figure out why the cards wouldn't work with risers.  Also, I didn't have to make any modifications to the octominer board bios before I started hashing.  Right now running Windows 10 with Awesome Miner, (using a SATA SSD) but might try hiveos sometime.

Only have 4 cards and left a space between them, but I could see it be quite tight with all 8 cards.

Would be interested in hearing folks that are using all 8 1080ti cards "open air" without a case - how are you getting rid of the heat? Right now I just have a box fan on top.

Here's a pic of my setup (pardon the mess)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nlwimn63m5l8grb/octominer.jpg?dl=0

Activity: 5

Thanks, I don't know how I managed to overlook corsair. Is it safe to use a dual head cable to connect both motherboard slots, or 2 gpu's from one PSU outlet?
legendary
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8075
'The right to privacy matters'
Anyone know the exact power requirements for the motherboard? The case only really seems to have mounting brackets for ATX form PSU's, and I've yet to find a PSU from a reliable manufacturer that has 10 pci power cables for 8 cards + 2 for the motherboard. Using multiple power supplies defeats the purpose of the 4u rack mount case, so I was hoping to power the motherboard with some combination of molex to 6 pin connectors. Is there a safe and electrically sound way to do that, or do I need to roll the dice with a lower quality PSU manufacturer?

the hi end  corsair  has 10 pcie jacks  which  can do dual head cables  this means 20   6+2 pin  pcie cables

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/ax1600i-digital-atx-power-supply-1600-watt-fully-modular-psu-na

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/ax1500i-digital-atx-power-supply-1500-watt-fully-modular-psu

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/type-3-flat-black-ribbon-cable-pcie-6-2-pin-dual-connectors-compatible-with-all-type-3-pin-out-psu
Activity: 5
Anyone know the exact power requirements for the motherboard? The case only really seems to have mounting brackets for ATX form PSU's, and I've yet to find a PSU from a reliable manufacturer that has 10 pci power cables for 8 cards + 2 for the motherboard. Using multiple power supplies defeats the purpose of the 4u rack mount case, so I was hoping to power the motherboard with some combination of molex to 6 pin connectors. Is there a safe and electrically sound way to do that, or do I need to roll the dice with a lower quality PSU manufacturer?
Activity: 10
My mobo is not posting. It beeps 5 times as i power on, but nothing after that.

Please help.

bad ram  try a different stick or reseat  the stick you may get lucky

Thanks, tried all. After that contacted their support chat, seems like Mobo is dead, they will ship out another one after holidays on 25th Feb. Great support from octominer.
legendary
I'm up and running with 8 cards under windows with no issues.  I never did anything in the BIOS except tell it to boot from USB the first time to do the windows install.  I downloaded the latest ISO directly from Microsoft, stripped out all the bloat to make a light "miner" version.  I then installed into 120GB Msata from USB using the built in VGA port.  Once it was installed, I let it go out and grab all the latest updates.

I then installed a single GPU and installed the latest Nvidia drivers (all done with VGA monitor still connected to the mobo).  Once that was done, I shut down and added 7 more cards and started back up again.  It took Windows about 20 minutes to properly see and load the drivers for those additional 7 GPUs.  Once that was done, I installed Afterburner, Afterburner Remote Server and Awesome Miner Remote Agent.

Went into Awesome Miner on my workstation, added the Octominer, and away I went mining.  Very smooth from start to finish.

Hashing away with nice low temps despite running with no lid:

And some pics of the rig.  I'm running a 2400W Delta PSU temporarily until I decide what I want to put in it.  I'm also running 4 hybrid 1070's for right now since they needed a home and I'm still waiting on some other mobos to come in.  It will be converted to all air cards soon, but I didn't want to leave any cards sitting around not hashing.  Smiley

I'm overall pleased with the Octominer, but do have a few minor gripes as follows:

1. The silk screen showing the front panel pin-out is obscured by the mSATA device.
2. The polarity for the front panel HDD header is missing.
3. The Delta fans are nice 4 wire (PWM control), but both the RPM and PWM wires were cut off, leaving only GND and 12V.  It would have been nice if those wires had been left intact in case I wanted to ever use those fans in another application.  A 4-pin fan header to 2-pin Molex plug would have been ideal.
4. There is no provisionings for screwing down the Octominer server PSU within the "ATX PSU" space.

I know, very miner gripes, but I wanted to mention them.   The key thing is that the board itself is very stable and works well, even with Windows.  The board was able to to detect my Logitech USB Bluetooth dongle for my wireless keyboard and mouse, something that I cannot say was true with either my Onda nor Coloful mobos.

where did those good looking waterblocks come from? Grin

they would work good on a four slot biostar  z170 mobo Grin

To be on topic  this look like  a good setup  if noise is not an issue.

The deltas will cool well enough but it is more a warehouse build not a basement build
Activity: 248
Merit: 8
Hi, was wondering when the rest of the orders for the 4U case were going out? I placed it on Feb 3 (chassis, msata, RAM and 2200w ps).
Thanks, and Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Hey!
The remaining orders for the case will be sent out right after the Chinese New Year Holidays end.
Happy new year! Smiley
legendary

Please help.

bad ram  try a different stick or reseat  the stick you may get lucky
Activity: 106
Hi, was wondering when the rest of the orders for the 4U case were going out? I placed it on Feb 3 (chassis, msata, RAM and 2200w ps).
Thanks, and Gong Xi Fa Cai!
Activity: 10

Please help.
Activity: 248
Merit: 8
Got mine parcel yesterday - 2 boards + 4GB RAM and 60GB SSD. Boards have different CPU. 3855U - with Octominer logo on CPU fan, and 4405U was on board without Octominer logo. Installed Hive OS on both without GPU. Will install 8 1060 6 GB Asus Strix later from my rig. So far so good. Thank you for great support.

During the QC process some of the CPU cooler fans were defective and were replaced by coolers without Octominer logos. Also there was a shortage of 3855u CPUs during production and we chose to use upgraded CPUs on some of the boards. Otherwise we would have not had time to finish the production of that batch and get everything shipped out on time.
Activity: 558
Merit: 194
I'm up and running with 8 cards under windows with no issues.  I never did anything in the BIOS except tell it to boot from USB the first time to do the windows install.  I downloaded the latest ISO directly from Microsoft, stripped out all the bloat to make a light "miner" version.  I then installed into 120GB Msata from USB using the built in VGA port.  Once it was installed, I let it go out and grab all the latest updates.

I then installed a single GPU and installed the latest Nvidia drivers (all done with VGA monitor still connected to the mobo).  Once that was done, I shut down and added 7 more cards and started back up again.  It took Windows about 20 minutes to properly see and load the drivers for those additional 7 GPUs.  Once that was done, I installed Afterburner, Afterburner Remote Server and Awesome Miner Remote Agent.

Went into Awesome Miner on my workstation, added the Octominer, and away I went mining.  Very smooth from start to finish.

Hashing away with nice low temps despite running with no lid:

And some pics of the rig.  I'm running a 2400W Delta PSU temporarily until I decide what I want to put in it.  I'm also running 4 hybrid 1070's for right now since they needed a home and I'm still waiting on some other mobos to come in.  It will be converted to all air cards soon, but I didn't want to leave any cards sitting around not hashing.  Smiley

I'm overall pleased with the Octominer, but do have a few minor gripes as follows:

1. The silk screen showing the front panel pin-out is obscured by the mSATA device.
2. The polarity for the front panel HDD header is missing.
3. The Delta fans are nice 4 wire (PWM control), but both the RPM and PWM wires were cut off, leaving only GND and 12V.  It would have been nice if those wires had been left intact in case I wanted to ever use those fans in another application.  A 4-pin fan header to 2-pin Molex plug would have been ideal.
4. There is no provisionings for screwing down the Octominer server PSU within the "ATX PSU" space.

I know, very miner gripes, but I wanted to mention them.   The key thing is that the board itself is very stable and works well, even with Windows.  The board was able to to detect my Logitech USB Bluetooth dongle for my wireless keyboard and mouse, something that I cannot say was true with either my Onda nor Coloful mobos.
Activity: 2
Got mine parcel yesterday - 2 boards + 4GB RAM and 60GB SSD. Boards have different CPU. 3855U - with Octominer logo on CPU fan, and 4405U was on board without Octominer logo. Installed Hive OS on both without GPU. Will install 8 1060 6 GB Asus Strix later from my rig. So far so good. Thank you for great support.
legendary
Activity: 1457
Merit: 1014
I finally got it to work! reinstalled windows 10, disabled updates, changed a bunch of things windows settings and now i have x6 1070's. running,  a bit toasty at 65 C... I will keep moving that down, 65 is too hot I think.

OC:

Power Limit: 79
core clock +114
memory clock +650

Has been stable for 2 hours.

65 is cold, 75 is also no Problem, in the 80is its getting tricky.
Activity: 630
Merit: 502
The CPU fan spins at 100% making a high pitched sound louder than all my GPUs so is there a way to reduce it?
Is this not possible?
If it's not possible with software, where can we get a low noise adapter cable?
I can't find any 2 pin low noise adapter so I'm thinking of using a 4 pin low noise adapter <> 3 pin to 2 pin adapter <> fan. My rigs run headless and normal motherboards prevents the system from booting when it detects no fan is connect to the CPU fan header so will this do the same?
Right now it's winter with the ambient temperature being only a few degrees and average CPU temperature being in the teens so I decided to unplug the CPU fan. Booting with CPU fan unplugged does not hang the system.
Activity: 122
Merit: 1
Disappointed with my order. First off I paid for the 4415U CPU but got shipped the 3855U (some people got the reverse of this which is great but for me it sucks as I paid extra for nothing!)

Secondly nearly all the Delta fans in my case are used only 1 of them appears to be new. I've got a photo of one of the fans and you can see the label looks like it has been around for years! Most of them have built up brownish dust.

Only good news is my server PSU is new and I got all the cables etc.

EDIT: octominer got in touch they were helpful with the mistake in motherboard and refunded me the difference - good customer service! They also said the fans are 100% new they came that way from the factory (probably in storage a long time?) anyway I checked with them and if there's any issues with the fans they will replace them no problem so another tick from me)
Activity: 630
Merit: 502
The CPU fan spins at 100% making a high pitched sound louder than all my GPUs so is there a way to reduce it?
Is this not possible?

Check for a BIOS setting, failing that try: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
The 2 pins are just for voltage without a 3rd for monitoring or 4th or PWM control. BIOS is old style with blue screen and keyboard only to where I didn't see any fan options and I'm not sure if this boards supports fan voltage control so a physical voltage resistor seems to be the only other option.
Activity: 349
Merit: 102
Is this not possible?

Check for a BIOS setting, failing that try: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
Pages:
Jump to: