Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 572. (Read 5805546 times)

rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
Win32/Coinminer is virus?

My windows defender reported that this was harmful, googling it lead to sites saying it steals the wallet.

Now is this something to worry about?
I have removed it when the window popped up.

Now it removed cgminer.exe, wery wierd??
read me said the readme

so It is then false alarm then?
Didn't see anything about Win32/Coinminer but this I found in readme:

"Q: Is this a virus?
A: Cgminer is being packaged with other trojan scripts and some antivirus
software is falsely accusing cgminer.exe as being the actual virus, rather
than whatever it is being packaged with. If you installed cgminer yourself,
then you do not have a virus on your computer. Complain to your antivirus
software company."
Yes as long as you downloaded it from the link in the first post of this thread, you are safe. You should be able to make an exception for it in your AV software.
Activity: 481
Merit: 500
Using 3 cards with Win7, there are times that the cards stop mining and everything on the desktop disappear except the background. Tried disabling the OC of the cards but the problem remained.

Went back to 2.3.6 and been running 3 days now without hiccups, except for a slight increase in stales.

Try reducing the hash rate of the main card (the card connected to the display, usually the one closest to the CPU).
Activity: 154
Merit: 100

My windows defender reported that this was harmful, googling it lead to sites saying it steals the wallet.

read me said the readme

so It is then false alarm then?
Didn't see anything about Win32/Coinminer but this I found in readme:

"Q: Is this a virus?
A: Cgminer is being packaged with other trojan scripts and some antivirus
software is falsely accusing cgminer.exe as being the actual virus, rather
than whatever it is being packaged with. If you installed cgminer yourself,
then you do not have a virus on your computer. Complain to your antivirus
software company."
Activity: 173
Using 3 cards with Win7, there are times that the cards stop mining and everything on the desktop disappear except the background. Tried disabling the OC of the cards but the problem remained.

Went back to 2.3.6 and been running 3 days now without hiccups, except for a slight increase in stales.

-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/

read me said the readme

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
I've got an Icarus pull request up that should increase performance:
https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer/pull/204

The gain would be due to it running the Icarus much closer to when it becomes idle
The code change is rather extensive since it now includes a new (hidden) option --icarus-timing
If you have an Icarus device (that works the same as Icarus and has 2 FPGA) then this option will allow you to use that device also and at optimum performance (also e.g. if you have an Icarus with a faster bitstream)
For more details see the new FPGA-README in the pull request
(the code is extensively commented also)

The new default MH/s calculation is actually a VERY slight underestimate
(at the 5th digit the default time to do a single hash is rounded up)
So the increase seen should actually be valid (assuming no bugs Smiley)
This calculation only comes into play when a piece of work is aborted at the new 11.2s (or due to an LP)
legendary
I have a strange issue with cgminer... After a day or two of work hash rate starts to slowly drop from usual 440 Mhash/s and reaches 340 Mhash/s within 30-40 minutes where it stops. Restarting cgminer brings hashrate back to usual values. Any ideas why this happens?
Right now I have a script which checks hash rate periodically and restarts cgminer when needed.
Ubuntu Linux 12.04, Catalyst 12.4, HD7870.
At a guess ... 12.4 is your problem ... since I heard it would often just pack up and die for no reason with cgminer.
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1468
Check the debug log file.  Sometimes ADL does return -1 from fan speed/temp APIs.  I've had people reporting it with 6000 series cards (not cgminer, my akbash watchdog) BTW, -1, is "Most likely one or more of the Escape calls to the driver failed".

Not sure why, maybe it is "not always supported" (as their ADL docs says) ?!?. I raised this issue with AMD support. Waiting for their response.

Not sure how re-order would help, ADL APIs use adapter index, not opencl gpu #.

The lack of RPM for the one 5970 has to do with how it died. The GPU that failed was the one closest to the output, so this card isn't capable of outputting an image, or controlling/reporting on fan speed. The fan is just always pegged at 100.

Possible, on dual cards maybe just some adapters are reporting, other do not.
legendary
Activity: 3583
Merit: 1094
Think for yourself
I have a strange issue with cgminer... After a day or two of work hash rate starts to slowly drop from usual 440 Mhash/s and reaches 340 Mhash/s within 30-40 minutes where it stops. Restarting cgminer brings hashrate back to usual values. Any ideas why this happens?

Does the utility drop too?
Sam
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Right now I have a script which checks hash rate periodically and restarts cgminer when needed.
Ubuntu Linux 12.04, Catalyst 12.4, HD7870.
legendary
Has anyone else noticed that the order of temperatures and fan speed is incorrect sometimes? For instance, this is a rig with 3 cards; a 6870, a 5970 and a 5970 with one bad GPU.

It's not just this configuration of cards either, I've noticed this before with 4 GPUs in the system but the cards in different orders.
Have you tried using the --gpu-reorder flag?
No, I haven't. What does the flag do?

It maps opencl gpu #s to ADL adapter indexes, or vice versa. I've seen ADL fan/temp fail without using opencl.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
It will cut off at 60, but it uses the temp target to re-enable the mining, so best to set that lower or it will keep enabling and disabling it.

This.

Also remember if you specify nothing for a param then cgminer uses the default.  I alway prefer explicit values rather than suprises due to implicit values.   I just have it set at target & overheat @ 58, and cutoff @ 60.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
What should temp-cutoff and overheat be to avoid card throttling down in speed?

I have watercooling and want the app to shutdown if core reaches 60c.

I found this in my cgminer.cfg
"temp-cutoff" : "95",  This I put to 60c
"temp-overheat" : "85",  This I can keep at 85?
"temp-target" : "75",     This I can keep at 75?
^^^^^^^ There is no fans controlled by GPU, it's radiator with fans.

So MAX temps on my 7950 is: Core MAX 52c, VRM MAX 65c.

I'm assuming just changing the  "temp-cutoff" to 60 and hysteria at 3 and not changing other stuff incase of waterpump failure the GPU once it reaches 63c will turn off the mining then?
It will cut off at 60, but it uses the temp target to re-enable the mining, so best to set that lower or it will keep enabling and disabling it.
legendary
Has anyone else noticed that the order of temperatures and fan speed is incorrect sometimes? For instance, this is a rig with 3 cards; a 6870, a 5970 and a 5970 with one bad GPU.

GPU 0 is the 6870, the one with the exceedingly low temperature and no fan speed is the one with the bad GPU.
The GPU order corresponds with what I see in clocktweak.
Reading data:
Adapter#:0 Temp:75 Load:99 Fan:67 Level:2   CoreL0:250 CoreL1:399 CoreL2:900 MemL0:198 MemL1:799 MemL2:800 mVoltL0:950 mVoltL1:999 mVoltL2:1150
Adapter#:3 Temp:62 Load:99 Fan:NA Level:2   CoreL0:250 CoreL1:500 CoreL2:750 MemL0:198 MemL1:199 MemL2:200 mVoltL0:950 mVoltL1:999 mVoltL2:1000
Adapter#:4 Temp:43 Load:99 Fan:NA Level:2   CoreL0:157 CoreL1:399 CoreL2:750 MemL0:198 MemL1:199 MemL2:200 mVoltL0:950 mVoltL1:999 mVoltL2:1000
Adapter#:5 Temp:60 Load:99 Fan:86 Level:2   CoreL0:157 CoreL1:400 CoreL2:750 MemL0:198 MemL1:199 MemL2:200 mVoltL0:950 mVoltL1:999 mVoltL2:1000

In this case, I changed the clock speed on the 5970 with only one GPU (Adapter #4) to 400MHz, and as you can see the hashrate of GPU1 when down instead of GPU2.

It's not just this configuration of cards either, I've noticed this before with 4 GPUs in the system but the cards in different orders.

Check the debug log file.  Sometimes ADL does return -1 from fan speed/temp APIs.  I've had people reporting it with 6000 series cards (not cgminer, my akbash watchdog) BTW, -1, is "Most likely one or more of the Escape calls to the driver failed".

Not sure why, maybe it is "not always supported" (as their ADL docs says) ?!?. I raised this issue with AMD support. Waiting for their response.

Not sure how re-order would help, ADL APIs use adapter index, not opencl gpu #.

What should temp-cutoff and overheat be to avoid card throttling down in speed?

I have watercooling and want the app to shutdown if core reaches 60c.

I found this in my cgminer.cfg
"temp-cutoff" : "95",  This I put to 60c
"temp-overheat" : "85",  This I can keep at 85?
"temp-target" : "75",     This I can keep at 75?
^^^^^^^ There is no fans controlled by GPU, it's radiator with fans.

So MAX temps on my 7950 is: Core MAX 52c, VRM MAX 65c.

I'm assuming just changing the  "temp-cutoff" to 60 and hysteria at 3 and not changing other stuff incase of waterpump failure the GPU once it reaches 63c will turn off the mining then?
legendary
Activity: 1795
Merit: 1208
This is not OK.
Another this I've noticed:
When you change the priority of a pool to the top (via the API) and you save the config file, the order of the pools in the config file remains unchanged from is original. Maybe this should change to match the current priority order?
However, if your main pool has a temporary outage, then it may be moved from the top position.
So it would have to take that into account also ...

Unlucky to hit save at that moment, but yeah, possible. Not so sure that's something to worry about.

Just an idea/suggestion anyway.
legendary
When you change the priority of a pool to the top (via the API) and you save the config file, the order of the pools in the config file remains unchanged from is original. Maybe this should change to match the current priority order?
However, if your main pool has a temporary outage, then it may be moved from the top position.
So it would have to take that into account also ...
legendary
Activity: 1795
Merit: 1208
This is not OK.
Activity: 46
Merit: 0
Updated git tree:
I've added dynamic adjustment of intensity for usage on a normal desktop. This flag is enabled by default and tests to ensure the GPU is constantly available for desktop use and will scale intensity down when you are watching a movie, gaming or just about any other intense GPU usage, and scale it up when otherwise idle. This is best disabled on dedicated miners:
The difference can be quite dramatic in terms of how much smoother the desktop is, and how much higher the throughput is when it's idle.

I just switched over from Diablo on my work PC, and I have to say this is the one of the coolest things about cgminer.  I don't have to kill my miner whenever I'm doing graphic intense work (2x or 3x a day).  Kudos.

I'll send you some bitcents when next I access my wallet (from cold storage) Wink

Thanks for some great software!

Finally got around to sending those cents.  You should see them in the next block.  Thanks again for the great contribution to the community.  I'd send more if I was richer. Wink
Jump to: