Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 575. (Read 5805546 times)

rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
I agree basing longpoll priority on absolute hashrate would be a real shame to all the smaller miners. The original bitcoin vision was that anyone connected to it could contribute a few cycles in a massively distributed computing power entity, and it's actually unfortunate that it is becoming such a "professional job" to actually earn something via mining. On the other hand, all it would take is some kind of nominal number of shares, say 1 in the last minute, to detect an active miner versus a backup miner. It would also kick botnets' arses.
I believe this is the case. At that link, you will see that Slush mentions CPU miners and says that this should deal with them. I assume that the priority doesn't apply to miners over a low rate such as 100mhash, and therefore implementing prioritization on EMC may not make a noticeable difference in load or such things.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
I agree basing longpoll priority on absolute hashrate would be a real shame to all the smaller miners. The original bitcoin vision was that anyone connected to it could contribute a few cycles in a massively distributed computing power entity, and it's actually unfortunate that it is becoming such a "professional job" to actually earn something via mining. On the other hand, all it would take is some kind of nominal number of shares, say 1 in the last minute, to detect an active miner versus a backup miner. It would also kick botnets' arses.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Well, it's basically up to over 6000 outbound connections at the same instant on one server right now... how does Slush determine who gets LP priority?
LP priority is based on hashrate.

EDIT: Link: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.611014
LP priority based on hash rate ... yeah right ... piss on the little guy Tongue
Slush is certainly on my ban list once I found out about that a while back (though I have never created a slush account ...)
I used to be 720MH/s (now 2.295GH/s) so I have plenty of sympathy for people with only one or 2 medium hashing ATI cards.
Of course setting a lower limit is fine (yes people should not be CPU mining) and that would also cover people using the pool as a backup but not mining, but everyone else should be random - and anyone mining BTC (and/or running a pool) should understand exactly what random means ...
rjk
1ngldh
Well, it's basically up to over 6000 outbound connections at the same instant on one server right now... how does Slush determine who gets LP priority?
LP priority is based on hashrate.

EDIT: Link: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.611014
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
rjk
1ngldh
I can't see a workable solution either at the moment, which is why I'm trying to just shore up the EMC servers to handle LPs better.  Maybe if there's some way to identify a "backup" LP request to the server, so the server can prioritize active LPs and backup LPs in a QoS fashion or something... that way LPs can be pushed out as best effort for the backup LPs.  It would obviously require some changes to pool software, but I don't think they'd be that drastic and it would help out everyone.

Slush prioritizes his LPs already, it sounds like a good idea.
Also, what is the bottleneck with many LPs? Is it processing power? Memory hog? Disk reads/writes blocking? Running out of sockets? I wonder if it could or should be offloaded onto a dedicated box, if it is that much of a load issue.
legendary
I can't see a workable solution either at the moment, which is why I'm trying to just shore up the EMC servers to handle LPs better.  Maybe if there's some way to identify a "backup" LP request to the server, so the server can prioritize active LPs and backup LPs in a QoS fashion or something... that way LPs can be pushed out as best effort for the backup LPs.  It would obviously require some changes to pool software, but I don't think they'd be that drastic and it would help out everyone.

legendary
Activity: 1795
Merit: 1208
This is not OK.
Kano,

From the code, I see that when saving a conf file through the API, a blank parameter will throw up a missing file error... could that be changed to save the default (in use) conf file? Would seem to be a sensible thing to do.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Cgminer hangs again. Could this be an issue with Sempron CPU's? Running a Sempron 145.

I doubt it, I've been running  rings on 145's for several months now.  Never had a cgminer hang that wasn't directly related to a card settings bork up.

You aren't trying to run it with an unlocked core or odd frequency settings by any chance?

I have a 5970 with one unstable core. I run it at 825 engine and 260 memclock. Any engine clock higher than that or memclock lower than that and the system freezes. The other core is happy at 875/220. SSH/screen other terminals are fine but unable to kill the cgminer process and restart.
Could it be other processes interfering with cgminer or confusing it? What would cause multiple sshd's to run, multiple udisk to run?

check the first core VRM temps ( the one closest to the dvi connectors ). the card is throttling because they are getting over 125C, when the card throttles itself this way it crashes cgminer. I have had the same problems, had to remove the heatsink and replace the pads on the vrm there.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
Longpolls are really up to the pool to return, and cgminer will wait for up to 60 minutes for one. There's no real way to say "yeah I want a longpoll, but it's fine if you delay it for a minute or so". It's basically pushed from the pool and the client just receives it whenever. It's probably not ideal for cgminer to get a longpoll from every single backup pool you have configured, but there are logistical reasons for why it's done that way, and is more indicative of just how many people use LOTS of backup pools, EMC obviously being a popular one. There are issues with only running one longpoll from the primary pool when work is gathered from multiple pools during periods of overload, and there is no way to "turn off" a longpoll once it's been requested if you decide to change pools, and some pools have extra longpolls for merged mining, blockchain variations (eg p2pool) and so on. It's virtually impossible to just "do the right thing" since there is no right thing. A longpoll from each pool is the best thing for a miner. As we've seen with EMC, though, the longpoll load can also be quite hefty, even if the rest of networking has become MUCH politer to pools since 2.4.0. I'll think about it some more, but I can't see a solution that is optimal for both miner and pool.
Activity: 807
Merit: 500
I'm not sure which reason accounts for the increase, but I have a feeling it's because EMC is used as a backup for a lot of people, so the latter is likely the more likely explanation.  Hit over 5000 LP watchers on one server last night during a few long polls.  We normally only have about 1000 active miners give or take a few hundred at any given time.
Maybe a less invasive method would be for cgminer to delay the getwork on backup pools by a few seconds (and do so randomly)?

So time 0 your would see your 1000 or so active users send getwork and then spread out over the next x seconds randomly requests would come from the other 4000 or so users. 
Does cgminer request work from the backup pools, or is the load caued by the number of connections and the fact that the longpolls (which are pushed, not requested) contain work?
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
I'm not sure which reason accounts for the increase, but I have a feeling it's because EMC is used as a backup for a lot of people, so the latter is likely the more likely explanation.  Hit over 5000 LP watchers on one server last night during a few long polls.  We normally only have about 1000 active miners give or take a few hundred at any given time.

Maybe a less invasive method would be for cgminer to delay the getwork on backup pools by a few seconds (and do so randomly)?

So time 0 your would see your 1000 or so active users send getwork and then spread out over the next x seconds randomly requests would come from the other 4000 or so users. 
legendary
Well, I think I am reporting the first casualty of the new LP handling method of CGMiner.  After struggling with my pool servers for the past few days, I've come to the conclusion that the new CGminer is "flooding" the server with LP requests.  Previously, before the LP changes, there would be ~800 or so LP watchers per server.  After the change, there is now more than 3000 LP watchers per server and the servers were struggling to keep up with LPs when they hit, causing stale shares and non/slow response until it was caught up.

I'm redoing the servers to handle LPs more gracefully (thanks to Luke-Jr/Eloipool!)... but I figured I'd make a post in case any other pool ops are suddenly struggling to figure out why their servers might be sluggish during LPs. 
Interesting.  Is this because each client is sending more LP requests, or is it just because anyone with EMC as a backup pool is now requesting a longpoll regardless of whether they're currently connected or not?

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
I just upgraded from 2.3.6 to 2.4.1.  I upgraded because I had annoying problem.  Every so often cgminer would forget I have a keyboard.  It would continually happily mine away, showing on the screen what it was doing.  But it no longer accepted keyboard commands.  To change, or quit, I'd have to terminate it, and restart it.  Then it would work fine again, until it once again forgot I had a keyboard.

On windows 7 64-bit.

Cgminer hangs again. Could this be an issue with Sempron CPU's? Running a Sempron 145.
legendary
This is not OK.
Yeah, Think the API should have it's own section detailing it's changes separately from CGminer.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Kano,
Do you have a list of each version of your API, and what it adds? Change log type thing?
NEWS file

I'm pretty certain I've changed the version number every time for a new release with new commands or new data.

Edit: also - it's highly consistent from one version to the next - new fields are added to the end - the order is never changed ... with CGMiner

Edit2: hmm looks like some of the NEWS descriptions don't say the actual API version numbers very often
(I guess I'll need to check the git why ...)
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

I doubt it, I've been running  rings on 145's for several months now.  Never had a cgminer hang that wasn't directly related to a card settings bork up.

You aren't trying to run it with an unlocked core or odd frequency settings by any chance?

I have a 5970 with one unstable core. I run it at 825 engine and 260 memclock. Any engine clock higher than that or memclock lower than that and the system freezes. The other core is happy at 875/220. SSH/screen other terminals are fine but unable to kill the cgminer process and restart.
Could it be other processes interfering with cgminer or confusing it? What would cause multiple sshd's to run, multiple udisk to run?
legendary
This is not OK.
Kano,
Do you have a list of each version of your API, and what it adds? Change log type thing?
Activity: 378
Why is it so damn hot in here?

legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1468
Is it possible to have an option like --computer-restart, to restart the computer when it detects a sick/dead card?
I a aware there is a gpu restart, but this would be a nice option for me too.

That's not possible in a cross platform way. It's not even possible to cleanly close cgminer once a driver has crashed (dead device). You need to use the API or log to monitor it happening and use an external program to do that.

AniceInovation,

If you are running cgminer on Windows, you could try my akbash watchdog.  It will do what you wanted (and more).
Jump to: