Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 576. (Read 5805546 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician
Cgminer hangs again. Could this be an issue with Sempron CPU's? Running a Sempron 145.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
Well, I think I am reporting the first casualty of the new LP handling method of CGMiner.  After struggling with my pool servers for the past few days, I've come to the conclusion that the new CGminer is "flooding" the server with LP requests.  Previously, before the LP changes, there would be ~800 or so LP watchers per server.  After the change, there is now more than 3000 LP watchers per server and the servers were struggling to keep up with LPs when they hit, causing stale shares and non/slow response until it was caught up.

I'm redoing the servers to handle LPs more gracefully (thanks to Luke-Jr/Eloipool!)... but I figured I'd make a post in case any other pool ops are suddenly struggling to figure out why their servers might be sluggish during LPs. 
Interesting.  Is this because each client is sending more LP requests, or is it just because anyone with EMC as a backup pool is now requesting a longpoll regardless of whether they're currently connected or not?
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
just to hopefully explain why I asked. Wouldn't the numbers match on a machine with 1 single and nothing else if they are over the same time period with the same calculation rate? I ask because mine didn't match last night. Today it matches sometimes and others the top reads less then 500 to over 1200 the single unit line reads 856-858. So the actual calculation of the data is different maybe. I can only see two ways for the same data to give two answers.
Thanks
Slightly different. The first number on per-device is updated differently and is more a current average rather than over any particular time period. Even the global 5s value is not truly a 5s value, it just decays over 5 seconds.
Activity: 981
Merit: 500
DIV - Your "Virtual Life" Secured and Decentralize
just to hopefully explain why I asked. Wouldn't the numbers match on a machine with 1 single and nothing else if they are over the same time period with the same calculation rate? I ask because mine didn't match last night. Today it matches sometimes and others the top reads less then 500 to over 1200 the single unit line reads 856-858. So the actual calculation of the data is different maybe. I can only see two ways for the same data to give two answers.
Thanks
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
not the default log info up top. the per device info below it. You know generic all your craps info then a line
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
then something like BFL 0 56.2 811.1/796(avg) blah blah blah......
How long of a time is the 811.1 in my example calculated over? not the uppper one I can read it. the single Unit one.
Same.
legendary
Activity: 3583
Merit: 1094
Think for yourself
However I wonder if it's difficult to setup the configuration file so that I don't need to put in data manually every time I restart cgminer?

Personally I like the using the command line options and create a .bat file.  Look in post #1 and go to the executive summary section for common command line options/suggestions.

Once you get a configuration you like, I understand, you can then write that to a config file and get rid of the command line options.  But I don't do that.
Sam
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
However I wonder if it's difficult to setup the configuration file so that I don't need to put in data manually every time I restart cgminer?

start cgminer w/ options from command line.  when it loads click (S) for settings and then (W) for write config file.  You don't need to give it a name just press enter (default is cgminer.conf).  Open it up in notepad and verify for acuracy.  To start in the future just double click cgminer.exe (or put it in the startup folder) and it will load the default config automatically.

edit---> my A to R ratio is 2%, so 2% rejected, is that good?

Technically your R% is R / (A + R) but the difference is likely minor.
If you are sick 1 day and went to work 4 days you were sick 1 / (1+4) = 1/5th of the days (not 1/4). Smiley

Well technically technically what you really want to look at is ( R + SS ) / (A + R +SS)
although that is less of an issue now since I think cgminer submits all stales by default.

Activity: 196
I'm on windows 7 and use cgminer and it works flawless.

so currently I put in manually the server, username, password, engine, memory and intensitivty.

But if it's easy to do this things into the config file I would rather do that Smiley

There is option in there to save your configuration to file you can use that once you have everything in place and running to get a config file made for you.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
Well, I think I am reporting the first casualty of the new LP handling method of CGMiner.  After struggling with my pool servers for the past few days, I've come to the conclusion that the new CGminer is "flooding" the server with LP requests.  Previously, before the LP changes, there would be ~800 or so LP watchers per server.  After the change, there is now more than 3000 LP watchers per server and the servers were struggling to keep up with LPs when they hit, causing stale shares and non/slow response until it was caught up.

I'm redoing the servers to handle LPs more gracefully (thanks to Luke-Jr/Eloipool!)... but I figured I'd make a post in case any other pool ops are suddenly struggling to figure out why their servers might be sluggish during LPs. 
Activity: 154
I'm on windows 7 and use cgminer and it works flawless.

so currently I put in manually the server, username, password, engine, memory and intensitivty.

But if it's easy to do this things into the config file I would rather do that Smiley

-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Updated git tree:
I've added dynamic adjustment of intensity for usage on a normal desktop. This flag is enabled by default and tests to ensure the GPU is constantly available for desktop use and will scale intensity down when you are watching a movie, gaming or just about any other intense GPU usage, and scale it up when otherwise idle. This is best disabled on dedicated miners:
The difference can be quite dramatic in terms of how much smoother the desktop is, and how much higher the throughput is when it's idle.

I just switched over from Diablo on my work PC, and I have to say this is the one of the coolest things about cgminer.  I don't have to kill my miner whenever I'm doing graphic intense work (2x or 3x a day).  Kudos.

I'll send you some bitcents when next I access my wallet (from cold storage) Wink

Thanks for some great software!
Glad you appreciate it. I think it's one of the most underrated features myself too since most miners tend to just use dedicated rigs. Just remember you can also tune the intensity of the dynamic mode as well with the --gpu-dyninterval option.
Activity: 46
Merit: 0
Updated git tree:
I've added dynamic adjustment of intensity for usage on a normal desktop. This flag is enabled by default and tests to ensure the GPU is constantly available for desktop use and will scale intensity down when you are watching a movie, gaming or just about any other intense GPU usage, and scale it up when otherwise idle. This is best disabled on dedicated miners:
The difference can be quite dramatic in terms of how much smoother the desktop is, and how much higher the throughput is when it's idle.

I just switched over from Diablo on my work PC, and I have to say this is the one of the coolest things about cgminer.  I don't have to kill my miner whenever I'm doing graphic intense work (2x or 3x a day).  Kudos.

I'll send you some bitcents when next I access my wallet (from cold storage) Wink

Thanks for some great software!
not the default log info up top. the per device info below it. You know generic all your craps info then a line
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
then something like BFL 0 56.2 811.1/796(avg) blah blah blah......
How long of a time is the 811.1 in my example calculated over? not the uppper one I can read it. the single Unit one.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
I hate to waste your time with stupid questions but I think I need to. Sorry in advance. On the per device line how often is the first value calculated the one that shows me the non averaged speed of my device?
Thank you for all your help and wonderful software
Default is 5seconds (as it says Smiley)
That's:
--log|-l      Interval in seconds between log output (default: 5)

(I'm just answering the actual question ...)

Edit: however on that other page linked above you have set it to 2s - so I'm not sure why you are asking.
Activity: 807
I hate to waste your time with stupid questions but I think I need to. Sorry in advance. On the per device line how often is the first value calculated the one that shows me the non averaged speed of my device?
CK/Kano, I'm not answering this one because I'm not 100% certain on a couple of things.  In case you aren't watching the BFL thread, you might read this post: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.891966 before replying to his question.  I am not 100% certain an incorrect assumption isn't being made there, and if so, the answer to this question may not help regarding its root cause (just trying to save everyone a couple steps).
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1468
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Is it possible to have an option like --computer-restart, to restart the computer when it detects a sick/dead card?
I a aware there is a gpu restart, but this would be a nice option for me too.

That's not possible in a cross platform way. It's not even possible to cleanly close cgminer once a driver has crashed (dead device). You need to use the API or log to monitor it happening and use an external program to do that.
donator
Activity: 446
Merit: 262
Interesting.
Is it possible to have an option like --computer-restart, to restart the computer when it detects a sick/dead card?
I a aware there is a gpu restart, but this would be a nice option for me too.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
Go visit the ABCPool thread - ABCPool was dead last time I looked there a couple of hours ago.
Edit: OK someone posted that it's alive again (but it was dead for quite a while)

Kano:

I know, it wasn't the issue with ABCPool I was talking about, when ABCPool came back to life and my miner switched back as it is supposed to

It is the new feature in where a pool gets disabled by CGMiner when there are only rejects over a period of 3 mins.
CGMiner then checks on every new LP if the rejected pool is back up and is supposed to switch back when the pool is alive again
It never came out of the disabled state on 3 of my miners, while it did go back to mining on a few others.... It could be that the pool was never disabled because of rejects on the other miners in the first place

All I know is on the miners where CGMiner disabled the pool due to rejects, the pool was never re-enabled when it started accepting shares again

I am talking about Pool 0 (Bonuspool), not Pool 1

Jump to: