Pages:
Author

Topic: Official FutureBit Apollo BTC Software/Image and Support thread - page 36. (Read 39595 times)

Activity: 562
Merit: 139
Thanks for the replies, after a day of pulling my hair out I finally figured out what the problem was - no space after my "," when inputting my DNS parameters; 8.8.4.4,8.8.8.8 does not work (which is what the tutorial shows). No error message pops up when setting this up in Ubuntu so after trying again for the 100th time I changed that up and it worked. I appreciate again the responses.

1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 Smiley
Activity: 11
Merit: 3
Thanks for the replies, after a day of pulling my hair out I finally figured out what the problem was - no space after my "," when inputting my DNS parameters; 8.8.4.4,8.8.8.8 does not work (which is what the tutorial shows). No error message pops up when setting this up in Ubuntu so after trying again for the 100th time I changed that up and it worked. I appreciate again the responses.
Activity: 882
Merit: 5818
not your keys, not your coins!
I've searched the the thread for help on changing the IP address on the machine and can't find what I need. I am following the standard Ubuntu instructions for changing to a static IP address, but after hitting "Apply" and toggling the switch the network settings don't change. Is there something particular about the Apollo setup that is preventing me from changing the IP address?
There shouldn't be anything Apollo-specific, no. For what it's worth, the device is running Armbian, so looking for Armbian-specific instructions may give you better results.
https://www.albertogonzalez.net/how-to-set-a-static-ip-on-armbian/
You may want to look into using your router dashboard to assign static IPs, if it doesn't work through your OS.
Activity: 1143
Merit: 925
I've searched the the thread for help on changing the IP address on the machine and can't find what I need. I am following the standard Ubuntu instructions for changing to a static IP address, but after hitting "Apply" and toggling the switch the network settings don't change. Is there something particular about the Apollo setup that is preventing me from changing the IP address?

I manually assigned a static IP to the Apollo via my router if that helps you any?
Activity: 11
Merit: 3
Is there a beta testing group?

Yes email hello at futurebit dot io and put beta test group in subject to be added to the external beta group. Internal testing is almost complete for next release and well push update to beta group probably later tonight.

Email sent, thank you. Looking forward to testing! Smiley
I've searched the forum, but couldn't find anything.  Is there any way to allow the miner to be monitored externally?   Something like the -api-allow switch?  If so, where and how is it done?
I would recommend searching using https://ninjastic.space/.

In this case:
https://ninjastic.space/search?content=API&topic_id=5340015

The first hit is your post and the second is one by jstefanop that explains how to access the 'API'.
Thank you.  I was hoping for something a little more straightforward so I could use awesomeminer to monitor the FutureBit as well as my other rigs for one consolidated view.  Maybe in a future release...
After the next release that will go out in the next few days you can port forward 80 and 5000 to your external IP address, and you'll be able to access the dashboard remotely. Latest release has security fixes that made our UI vulnerable to exploits that should be patched up now
Well, that's still not a REST API.. Cheesy Apparently edonaldson want to add the Apollo to their awesomeminer application, which would allow to monitor it in the same user interface as other ASICs.
I believe that would require building a 'proxy' type of service that offers a REST interface and makes use of /opt/apolloapi/backend/apollo-miner/apollo-miner.*.

@jstefanop

Good morning,

On Futurebit Apollo LTC, there is a switch in settings which give access to Api. ("api-allow"). Is there a similar feature on the interface of the Futurebit Apollo BTC?

Thanks in advance.

They use different software, so there's no api-allow option as far as I know in the Apollo BTC.

But if you're interested in reading the data from the miner, you can get that from a text file that gets written in the same folder of where the miner is. After you run the miner, a file with a name like this is created: apollo-miner.4A122E121471674B52383109. If you open it you'll see json encoded data in clear text. The "official" web UI uses that file to present it in a nice way in the browser. You can just read that file and you'll get similar data that the api in Apollo LTC sent.

Yes that file is essentially the Apollo-BTC api. You can just ssh and pull /opt/apolloapi/backend/apollo-miner/apollo-miner.* and parse the json and do what you like with it!
legendary
Activity: 2061
Merit: 1388

Yes email hello at futurebit dot io and put beta test group in subject to be added to the external beta group. Internal testing is almost complete for next release and well push update to beta group probably later tonight.
legendary
I've searched the forum, but couldn't find anything.  Is there any way to allow the miner to be monitored externally?   Something like the -api-allow switch?  If so, where and how is it done?

In this case:

The first hit is your post and the second is one by jstefanop that explains how to access the 'API'.

Thank you.  I was hoping for something a little more straightforward so I could use awesomeminer to monitor the FutureBit as well as my other rigs for one consolidated view.  Maybe in a future release...

After the next release that will go out in the next few days you can port forward 80 and 5000 to your external IP address, and you'll be able to access the dashboard remotely. Latest release has security fixes that made our UI vulnerable to exploits that should be patched up now
Activity: 14
Merit: 2

In this case:

In this case:

Activity: 14
Merit: 2
Activity: 4
Merit: 1
~snip~

FYI this has already been fixed in the next firmware image that should be released in the next few weeks.

Its a large update that fixes all remaining security and image issues and lays the foundation for big feature updates now that we finally have both unit production and image software at a mature state. We'll finally be able to launch our app ecosystem and we have been listening to all the feature requests and will start rolling these out in the next few months!
That's good to hear! Also great that this 'app ecosystem' is coming. But will it also allow people to update packages and operating system normally through their package manager?
Being able to use this as a 'desktop computer' has been one of its main selling points from day one, to be honest, so there are customers waiting for this update for literally years now.

And will it have the latest version of Armbian and nodeJS? Because the web dashboard as of now doesn't run on latest node..

There is nothing preventing you from installing any linux app on the desktop right now, but yes updating normally will no longer brick the system as long as you dont do anything crazy like a dist upgrade. Both the Armbian subsystem and linux kernel have been updated to 5.15.x

Are the new ones coming with the updated firmware already?
~snip~

FYI this has already been fixed in the next firmware image that should be released in the next few weeks.

Its a large update that fixes all remaining security and image issues and lays the foundation for big feature updates now that we finally have both unit production and image software at a mature state. We'll finally be able to launch our app ecosystem and we have been listening to all the feature requests and will start rolling these out in the next few months!
That's good to hear! Also great that this 'app ecosystem' is coming. But will it also allow people to update packages and operating system normally through their package manager?
Being able to use this as a 'desktop computer' has been one of its main selling points from day one, to be honest, so there are customers waiting for this update for literally years now.

And will it have the latest version of Armbian and nodeJS? Because the web dashboard as of now doesn't run on latest node..

There is nothing preventing you from installing any linux app on the desktop right now, but yes updating normally will no longer brick the system as long as you dont do anything crazy like a dist upgrade. Both the Armbian subsystem and linux kernel have been updated to 5.15.x

'Right now' as in 'in the next release'? Since the latest version on page 1 is still from December '21 and the following message is still up.

Known Issues

• Using the built in system update function will brick your system DO NOT UPDATE USING THE SYSTEM UPDATE we will periodically post updated images that have the latest system updates

FAQ

Q: I updated the system and now my Apollo won't boot
A: DO NOT UPDATE THE OS THROUGH THE SYSTEM UPDATE PROMPTS Even though the Apollo is a full linux desktop, its still an embedded system with multiple system level changes to make it work with our proprietary hardware attached to it. If you do a system level OS update these will be whipped and you will end up with a bricked system, requiring a full SD card reflash using the stock image. Any system/kernel level updates will issue here with updated SD card images.
legendary
~snip~

Second this! I did test for 0.3.1 and would love to be able to give the latest build a go and feedback should it be required
Activity: 562
Merit: 139
~snip~

legendary
Anyone tried running Home Assistant from their Apollo?

Figure if it's online 24/7 maybe I can use it to host a local Home Assistant server at the same time.

https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/

I would run it on a standalone PI and leave the miner SBC to do what it does.

Installing software on your Apollo will more often than not require you to update your existing packages using apt upgrade, which is heavily discouraged by jstefanop to avoid bricking the miner.

Known Issues

• Using the built in system update function will brick your system DO NOT UPDATE USING THE SYSTEM UPDATE we will periodically post updated images that have the latest system updates

FAQ

A: DO NOT UPDATE THE OS THROUGH THE SYSTEM UPDATE PROMPTS Even though the Apollo is a full linux desktop, its still an embedded system with multiple system level changes to make it work with our proprietary hardware attached to it. If you do a system level OS update these will be whipped and you will end up with a bricked system, requiring a full SD card reflash using the stock image. Any system/kernel level updates will issue here with updated SD card images.

If you want to install more software on it, I'd recommend installing a whole new OS on a new microSD (keep the original one for backup), that way you can also experiment more freely without fear of breaking anything in general.
Boot from microSD is honestly one of the greatest features of these single board computers, since it allows to do these types of experiments easily.

My guide explains how to install everything that comes with Apollo except the web GUI, which I'm still working on, plus Lightning and Electrum.
[Guide] Futurebit Apollo BTC Custom Linux Install - Base

Anyone tried running Home Assistant from their Apollo?

Figure if it's online 24/7 maybe I can use it to host a local Home Assistant server at the same time.

https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/

I would run it on a standalone PI and leave the miner SBC to do what it does.

Installing software on your Apollo will more often than not require you to update your existing packages using apt upgrade, which is heavily discouraged by jstefanop to avoid bricking the miner.

Known Issues

FAQ

If you want to install more software on it, I'd recommend installing a whole new OS on a new microSD (keep the original one for backup), that way you can also experiment more freely without fear of breaking anything in general.
Boot from microSD is honestly one of the greatest features of these single board computers, since it allows to do these types of experiments easily.

My guide explains how to install everything that comes with Apollo except the web GUI, which I'm still working on, plus Lightning and Electrum.
[Guide] Futurebit Apollo BTC Custom Linux Install - Base
Pages:
Jump to: