Pages:
Author

Topic: Official FutureBit Apollo BTC Software/Image and Support thread - page 38. (Read 39595 times)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

I am running a standalone on a RPi 4 and here are the steps that I went thru to get it running.

How to Install 64-Bit OS on RPi 4 (4Gb) and get FutureBit Apollo BTC Standalone miner working

Get 64-Bit Raspberry Pi Image
https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspios_arm64/images/
Image with Pi Imager
Have to use Custom Image option for now as 64-bit version is not listed.
Raspberry Pi Imager Tool (https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ )

Boot RPi with new card
Perform normal settings (SSH, Wifi, password, etc.)
Optionally:  sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade to get all updates applied.

Download RPi software from:
https://github.com/jstefanop/Apollo-Miner-Binaries/releases/
Get the aarch64 files and download and expand to folder of your choice
These are the Apollo miner executable along with start/stop scripts
Scripts will need editing for the user’s pool information, otherwise your mining power will benefit someone else.   

Install Prerequisites for Apollo Miner
Sudo apt-get install screen
Required for the Start_all script

Update Libstdc++ code
Append a line to file “/etc/apt/sources.list”
Type: Sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list to edit the file.
Add this line:    deb http://deb.debian.org/debian sid main
Ctrl-w, Ctrl-x to save and exit.
Then run
sudo apt update
sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade libstdc++6

Confirm your Standalone Apollo-BTC is visible:
ls /dev/ttyACM*
You should see this form of output for each attached standalone miner:  /dev/ttyACM0

Cd into your miner folder and type this to get started:
sudo ./start_apollo.sh
Or this if you have more than one unit:    sudo ./miner_start_all.sh 

I documented this as I was going thru sorting out the issues that I had, but I think it will get you up and running..

Thank you for these detailed steps! I found your post because I get this error:

sudo: ./start_apollo.sh: command not found

Even after following your instructions, I still get this error. What do you think I'm doing wrong?
Activity: 7
I have a Full Apollo with 2 standards hooked up.

Is it possible to add additional standards to my Full package with a USB hub?

Thank you kindly  Grin
legendary
Activity: 2061
Merit: 1388
Finally have all 16 online!  Grin

Each "workername" has a "Full" version with 3 Standards attached!

85% power and 60 Frequency!

"workername": "x.ApolloBTC1",
   "hashrate1m": "13T",
   "hashrate5m": "13T",
   "hashrate1hr": "13T",
   "hashrate1d": "12.9T",
   "hashrate7d": "6.08T",
   "lastshare": 1655261006,
   "shares": 1150554964,
   "bestshare": 1067318666.263625,
   "bestever": 1067318666
  },
  {
   "workername": "x.ApolloBTC2",
   "hashrate1m": "13.1T",
   "hashrate5m": "13.8T",
   "hashrate1hr": "13.2T",
   "hashrate1d": "13.1T",
   "hashrate7d": "6.13T",
   "lastshare": 1655261008,
   "shares": 1160196367,
   "bestshare": 5705086819.772847,
   "bestever": 5705086819
  },
  {
   "workername": "x.ApolloBTC3",
   "hashrate1m": "15T",
   "hashrate5m": "13.9T",
   "hashrate1d": "13T",
   "hashrate7d": "6.09T",
   "lastshare": 1655261007,
   "shares": 1149377795,
   "bestshare": 1561958236.972086,
   "bestever": 1561958236
  },
  {
   "workername": "x.ApolloBTC4",
   "hashrate1m": "14T",
   "hashrate5m": "13.2T",
   "hashrate1hr": "12.3T",
   "hashrate1d": "6.96T",
   "hashrate7d": "3.09T",
   "shares": 581432584,
   "bestshare": 2545683025.957528,
   "bestever": 2545683025

Lets see a pic of that setup!
Activity: 882
Merit: 5818
not your keys, not your coins!
Thanks a lot! Is the GPIO protocol anything 'special' or just internal USB? Because if it was, maybe someone can come up with a kernel patch to apply to an arbitrary Debian or other Linux installation Smiley
I can only guess they used some special library, that's completely unnecessary.
Hey kano, little necro-followup: the binary that is used for controlling the Apollo via USB is the exact same one used in 'Futurebit OS'. It checks whether a serial device is found on serial port 2, which is inactive by default on the Orange Pi 4. You also can't easily activate it.

To get GPIO working easily, I just copied the compiled device tree file from the Futurebit OS, but I'm sure with enough time, someone interested can go through original Armbian and Futurebit dts files and write down just the differences so people can do it themselves.
But in essence, from first glance, it appears that port 0 and 2 are swapped and some other little changes are made in the device tree.

When jstefanop says:
Unfortunately the GPIOs require kernel level changes to make coms work with the board, so its not an easy change.

These kernel level changes are basically a few edits to the device tree, from what I can tell.
Activity: 952
Merit: 938
~snip~
it fixed itself thanks
if i wanted to add some extra cooling to the units where should i place the fans top,bottom or sides?

It doesn't really matter that much, the thing that matters is that you need to keep the flow moving from A to B.

That is, don't point two fans into the miner for example, instead, put them one after the other so that the flow continues.

Visual representation:

Code:
Do this:
~~> MINER ~~>

Don't do this:
~~> MINER <~~

You can try different configurations, top/bottom, left/right, etc, and then measure how fast is the internal fan spinning after you changed something (look at the RPMs). Keep changing configurations until you get the lowest RPMs
Activity: 12
I currently have 2 btc miners one has stopped working, just a solid red light this is the one with the node and the other one is plugged in via usb and is working....I've tried restarting it many times fan comes on for a few seconds then nothing.

they have been running flawless for months and both are in balance hashrate

Have you checked if it's connecting to the pool?

Maybe there's an issue with connectivity and there's no work delivered to the miner.

You would need to give more details for anyone to be able to help.

What's the output of the miner?, is it connected?, mining?, what does the dashboard say, etc.

it fixed itself thanks

if i wanted to add some extra cooling to the units where should i place the fans top,bottom or sides?
Activity: 952
Merit: 938
I currently have 2 btc miners one has stopped working, just a solid red light this is the one with the node and the other one is plugged in via usb and is working....I've tried restarting it many times fan comes on for a few seconds then nothing.

Have you checked if it's connecting to the pool?

Maybe there's an issue with connectivity and there's no work delivered to the miner.

You would need to give more details for anyone to be able to help.

What's the output of the miner?, is it connected?, mining?, what does the dashboard say, etc.
Activity: 12

Activity: 562
Merit: 139
Does anyone know how to remove one of the hashboards from the GUI?

As I mentioned I have a controller and 3 standards running (one on each rack) however I moved one around and I still have the hashboard listed as inactive under it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
Disregard it appears to have resolved itself!  Embarrassed
Since Batch 4 is being released, is there going to be an updated firmware and will lightning node be added?
I'm working on a 'community OS' for this device which has Lightning and everything you'd want in a full node, there's a guide right here. However I have build issues with latest nodejs for the web GUI. If that's not important for you, you can follow the guide; it even keeps the blockchain download. If you install it on a secondary microSD, you can even switch back to the one Futurebit provided you if there are any issues.

This is awesome; following it with interest! Thank you Smiley

Thank you very much in advance for doing that, I think a lot of us would appreciate it.

When will be able to run a lightning node and how would i connect my storage wallet to my node?

FYI; the guide is online and I walked through it a second time, following line by line & it works except of the web GUI install. I will take another look at it, but right now discourage installing it as it requires an outdated version of nodeJS.

Activity: 562
Merit: 139
Finally have all 16 online!  Grin

Each "workername" has a "Full" version with 3 Standards attached!

85% power and 60 Frequency!

"workername": "x.ApolloBTC1",
   "hashrate1m": "13T",
   "hashrate5m": "13T",
   "hashrate1hr": "13T",
   "hashrate1d": "12.9T",
   "hashrate7d": "6.08T",
   "lastshare": 1655261006,
   "shares": 1150554964,
   "bestshare": 1067318666.263625,
   "bestever": 1067318666
  },
  {
   "workername": "x.ApolloBTC2",
   "hashrate1m": "13.1T",
   "hashrate5m": "13.8T",
   "hashrate1d": "13.1T",
   "hashrate7d": "6.13T",
   "shares": 1160196367,
   "bestshare": 5705086819.772847,
   "bestever": 5705086819
  },
  {
   "workername": "x.ApolloBTC3",
   "hashrate1m": "15T",
   "hashrate5m": "13.9T",
   "hashrate1d": "13T",
   "hashrate7d": "6.09T",
   "lastshare": 1655261007,
   "shares": 1149377795,
   "bestshare": 1561958236.972086,
   "bestever": 1561958236
  },
  {
   "workername": "x.ApolloBTC4",
   "hashrate1m": "14T",
   "hashrate5m": "13.2T",
   "hashrate1hr": "12.3T",
   "hashrate1d": "6.96T",
   "hashrate7d": "3.09T",
   "shares": 581432584,
   "bestshare": 2545683025.957528,
   "bestever": 2545683025
Activity: 721
Merit: 504
~snip~
Nothing is working, though all lights seem to be on whenpowered. not even hooking up orange pi as if i wanted to use it with ubuntu. I fear its the controller. Looking for options?
Can I send it in for service?

You will probably save time and money if you make sure the miner itself is working by connecting it with a USB cable to any PC or a Raspberry Pi. Then just execute the binary with your settings and see if it works.

If the miner doesn't work then yeah, you might need to send it all back. But if the miner works, then the rest can probably be solved with a new image, or just some remote troubleshooting. Or you can just use your PC anyway.

Hooking up via usb cable to a pc  computer/ Linux too, works with binaries. Prefer the controller setup. Orange Pi is bad

......the end............
As long as Bitcoin Core is stopped entirely (the systemd service), you can just copy the /mount/nvme/Bitcoin folder with something like rsync. Then modify the service / Bitcoin config file to point to the new drive and start the service back up.
This may be more accessible / more practical than a whole drive clone (e.g. in case you don't want certain other data that was also on the drive or something like that).

It's just important that Bitcoin Core isn't running when you start the copy, because if there's a single 'unsaved change' it will reindex the whole drive (been there, done that).
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
I have the complete controller with a 512 GB memory. Can I just swap that out with a 1TB card without any problems? Can someone suggest which one/type to use?

Thanks in advance!

I did it and is was not that easy. I cloned it then the 1tb was cut off at 512gb so I expanded the partition to 900gb leaving 100gb empty , It should be good for at least 3 -4 years

I used a crucial since my gear came with a crucial.

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-NAND-NVMe-PCIe-2400MB/dp/B089DNM8LR/ref=sxts_rp_s_1_0?

$85 at amazon

or 2tb for 170

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-NAND-NVMe-PCIe-2400MB/dp/B08GVDNTGJ/ref=sxts_rp_s_1_0?th=1

You dont need to clone it. Just swap out the SSD then press the format button in settings section of the UI.

I had already downloaded entire block chain took 3 days. So I did not want to start from scratch cloning was under 2 hours time.

gear has worked great since  late may of 2021
legendary
Activity: 2061
Merit: 1388
I have the complete controller with a 512 GB memory. Can I just swap that out with a 1TB card without any problems? Can someone suggest which one/type to use?

Thanks in advance!

I did it and is was not that easy. I cloned it then the 1tb was cut off at 512gb so I expanded the partition to 900gb leaving 100gb empty , It should be good for at least 3 -4 years

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-NAND-NVMe-PCIe-2400MB/dp/B089DNM8LR/ref=sxts_rp_s_1_0?

$85 at amazon

or 2tb for 170

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-NAND-NVMe-PCIe-2400MB/dp/B08GVDNTGJ/ref=sxts_rp_s_1_0?th=1

You dont need to clone it. Just swap out the SSD then press the format button in settings section of the UI.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'

Thanks in advance!

$85 at amazon

or 2tb for 170

Activity: 62
Merit: 1

Thanks in advance!
Activity: 1143
Merit: 925
Since Batch 4 is being released, is there going to be an updated firmware and will lightning node be added?
I'm working on a 'community OS' for this device which has Lightning and everything you'd want in a full node, there's a guide right here. However I have build issues with latest nodejs for the web GUI. If that's not important for you, you can follow the guide; it even keeps the blockchain download. If you install it on a secondary microSD, you can even switch back to the one Futurebit provided you if there are any issues.

This is awesome; following it with interest! Thank you Smiley
Activity: 59
I think I need to repeat my question Smiley at the moment my units run with Raspberry PI4 and I don't like it because of more cables flying around.
Can I replace Orange Pi4 with Orange PI4 LTS and flash it with publicly available Apollo BTC image? Will it work?
Nope, it won't work. It's compiled for a different chip.

What kind of PI board is installed in last batch of full units? Orange PI4 seems to be not available anymore.
Orange Pi 4. At least in batch 3, since that's what I have. I also don't think they changed it in batch 4, otherwise there would be binaries available for a new SBC in the mega folder.

Apollo BTC SD Card Image/OS Download and Install

Folder for all Apollo BTC Image Releases: https://mega.nz/folder/ZlxnwYZb#ZN77cDAcXa6dN_2QKSdT_Q
[...]

Batch 4 will use our custom version of the LTS board, so we will be providing an image that should also work with the generic LTS board as well.
Pages:
Jump to: