Pages:
Author

Topic: Official FutureBit Apollo BTC Software/Image and Support thread - page 69. (Read 39468 times)

Activity: 12
Merit: 5
I restored my configuration from a backup.  The node is up and downloading the blockchain.  The miner is up, but inactive and the original pool information seems to be stuck in the settings, despite changing to my new one.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Try restarting in the miner software. Seems a hard restart sometimes does not restart right

That did it, thank you.  I'll let it run in eco mode until the chain syncs-up.

To upgrade to a larger M.2 SSD without an enclosure, I first got a second SD card and imaged it using the resources from the first post. That was more of a precaution than a necessity.

Then, since my node was fully in sync on the original SSD, before I replaced the M.2 SSD I use the full node's file manager app to connect to a valid SMB file-share target on my home network and copied the node's data-files to it. It's way faster copying ~400 GB of data on your home network than it is to wait for the node to re-sync from scratch. Then I shut everything off and replaced both the SD card and the M.2 SSD. Upon bootup the OS formats the M.2 and starts to sync the node, which will take days. So, that's the time to stop the node, reconnect to the file-share and copy the data-files you backed up onto the new SSD, overwriting whatever the node just recently created with what we know to be complete data files. Then all ya have to do is re-start the node and it'll sync any changes that occurred while you were working on the full unit. That'll take minutes, as opposed to days.

HTH
legendary
Activity: 2061
Merit: 1388
I restored my configuration from a backup.  The node is up and downloading the blockchain.  The miner is up, but inactive and the original pool information seems to be stuck in the settings, despite changing to my new one.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Try restarting in the miner software. Seems a hard restart sometimes does not restart right

You can run in Turbo mode immediately. Bitcoin Node synchronizing has nothing to do with miner itself, it's just more CPU time on OrangePi 4. Miner process itself use barely any CPU time and RAM, regardless of Eco or Turbo mode.

Problem of running turbo while syncing is not CPU bottleneck, its thermals. The CPU could overheat and shutdown if its running at 100% while syncing, and the hashboard is in turbo mode.
Activity: 924
Merit: 175

You can run in Turbo mode immediately. Bitcoin Node synchronizing has nothing to do with miner itself, it's just more CPU time on OrangePi 4. Miner process itself use barely any CPU time and RAM, regardless of Eco or Turbo mode.
Activity: 31
Merit: 0

Activity: 91
Merit: 2

Literally swap them out. You can clone the data so you don't have to resync the blockchain but if you have a decent internet connection I'd just let it go redownloading everything from scratch

Hey, thanks.  I have gigabit service to the house and I believe my initial sync took a few days.  I can get the ssd for $89.  The cloning device adds another $100 to the bill - and I only received my miner last month.  I don't need to format or anything?  I was under the impression that the image needed to be installed first.

Just reflash the image to stock state, then put the freshly imaged SD card and new SSD and it will auto formate and set everything up. Well have a button in settings that does this instead of needed to reflash in the next update.

Well, reflashed the SD with the appropriate image using Balena Etcher.  Installed new SSD and re-inserted SD.  Put power to the unit and it appears to have booted and the indicator light is flashing at the proper cadence.  I am currently unable to access the dashboard or SSH in to the IP.  Is there a considerable wait time for the dash to reappear as the new drive is being formatted?

IP might have changed. Did you get IP from router? Same, or new IP? If it reports as online and active in your router, you should be able to connect it immediately.

That was it.  I had a static IP assigned via Wifi.  I just got in via Ethernet.  Thanks for the reply.
Literally swap them out. You can clone the data so you don't have to resync the blockchain but if you have a decent internet connection I'd just let it go redownloading everything from scratch

Hey, thanks.  I have gigabit service to the house and I believe my initial sync took a few days.  I can get the ssd for $89.  The cloning device adds another $100 to the bill - and I only received my miner last month.  I don't need to format or anything?  I was under the impression that the image needed to be installed first.

Just reflash the image to stock state, then put the freshly imaged SD card and new SSD and it will auto formate and set everything up. Well have a button in settings that does this instead of needed to reflash in the next update.

Well, reflashed the SD with the appropriate image using Balena Etcher.  Installed new SSD and re-inserted SD.  Put power to the unit and it appears to have booted and the indicator light is flashing at the proper cadence.  I am currently unable to access the dashboard or SSH in to the IP.  Is there a considerable wait time for the dash to reappear as the new drive is being formatted?

IP might have changed. Did you get IP from router? Same, or new IP? If it reports as online and active in your router, you should be able to connect it immediately.

Activity: 1143
Merit: 925

Any update on that new release mate? Been a bit quiet on that front for a while, would love some little teaser
legendary
Activity: 2061
Merit: 1388

Hey, thanks.  I have gigabit service to the house and I believe my initial sync took a few days.  I can get the ssd for $89.  The cloning device adds another $100 to the bill - and I only received my miner last month.  I don't need to format or anything?  I was under the impression that the image needed to be installed first.
Looks like my node needs to have its drive upgraded since I only have 12.2% remaining as the blockchain consumes 421.23 GB.  Can anyone provide me with some guidance as to what drive to purchase and perhaps some instructions on how to set it up?

Many thanks,
-C

EDIT: I found https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.57091052 at the beginning of this thread.  Is that all there is?  I'm assuming I need to wait a bit for the blockchain to reload or use a cloner.  Still a little unclear.

Looks like my node needs to have its drive upgraded since I only have 12.2% remaining as the blockchain consumes 421.23 GB.  Can anyone provide me with some guidance as to what drive to purchase and perhaps some instructions on how to set it up?

Many thanks,
-C

EDIT: I found https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.57091052 at the beginning of this thread.  Is that all there is?  I'm assuming I need to wait a bit for the blockchain to reload or use a cloner.  Still a little unclear.
Asking again because I looked at the forum messages and couldn't find anyone else that asked this question but is it possible to add the SBC to a Standard Unit to make it a Full Node?  Which SBC is it?

What is SBC? Single Board computer? Of course you can. You can install whatever you want under the skirt of standard miner, as long as it fits. But you have to use USB cable between Apollo miner and your custom SBC, as jstefanop uses proprietary GPIO connection protocol in Full node miner, so you can't use GPIO pins.

If you are planning to use exactly the same SBC - OrangePi 4 - this is possible. Full node and standard miner are exactly the same, one just has Orange Pi4 via GPIO and NVMe installed and other one doesn't. And full unit has different one side panel to accommodate HDMI and the likes on OrangePi.
I know as I replanted OrangePi successfully from one full node unit to standard unit, because USB port on standard unit was broken off when I opened the box!  Shocked  Cry So I removed OrangePi and bits and installed in that standard unit, making it a full node. It works, miner now works via GPIO not via USB port which was broken. Didn't wanted to claim warranty to jstefanop team and waste a month time, it was not worth it when I was already almost certain that it would work. And it did. Former full node is now stripped standard miner and it works as a slave to upgraded master miner.  Wink
Asking again because I looked at the forum messages and couldn't find anyone else that asked this question but is it possible to add the SBC to a Standard Unit to make it a Full Node?  Which SBC is it?

I'm sure it's possible; the board that is in there currently is an Orange Pi
Activity: 5
Asking again because I looked at the forum messages and couldn't find anyone else that asked this question but is it possible to add the SBC to a Standard Unit to make it a Full Node?  Which SBC is it?
Activity: 2492
Merit: 621
Yea I have upgraded the drive to a 1tb capacity of the same model (Crucial P2?). Just put the drive in and let it sync. Obviously shut it down and power it off, swap the drive for the new one and switch it back on.

Thanks! So the drive is only storing a copy of the blockchain and everything else (OS, wallets etc) is on the SD card?

Not sure about Wallets (never seen anyone mention wallets on here). OS is on the SD Card, AFAIK only the blockchain is on the M.2 drive.
Activity: 3
Yea I have upgraded the drive to a 1tb capacity of the same model (Crucial P2?). Just put the drive in and let it sync. Obviously shut it down and power it off, swap the drive for the new one and switch it back on.

Thanks! So the drive is only storing a copy of the blockchain and everything else (OS, wallets etc) is on the SD card?
Activity: 2492
Merit: 621
Pages:
Jump to: