Pages:
Author

Topic: Official FutureBit Apollo BTC Software/Image and Support thread - page 71. (Read 39166 times)

Activity: 924
Merit: 175
@jstefanop is there any reason (except maybe the sleekness of the device) to use the GPIOs? Maybe better hashrate?
For keeping the device's sleek design, but allowing users to run own OS, it might be cool to offer the GPIO connection software as a package to install! Smiley

I don't know for sure, but this must be for aesthetics only. Everything fits under miner skirt. No extra USB cable required.
Hashrate is the same in both cases, I've tried that, no differences in performance. Functionality also seems to same, hashrate readings, speed, fans, temps, power use.
So feel free to give your Full unit a USB cable so you can install system of your choice. You can always revert to Futurebit system if you don't like it, by reformatting SD card and removing USB cable.
legendary
Activity: 2061
Merit: 1388
FYI

After having units running from Batch 1 and units from batch 2 I have found a difference in temps and fans speeds from the two batches.
Although I was concerned I'm not to concerned now, just for fan longevity of batch 1 fans.

It all started when I added a batch one unit to my batch 2 setup
Batch 1 Setup https://imgur.com/a/A0KMm1H
Batch 2 Setup not as fancy, https://ibb.co/s9S5NVc

All batch 2 unit temps were 68c-69c and fan speeds 2800-2900rpm constant across the 7 units from batch 2
When I added a batch 1 unit to the other 7 units one unit was 62c-63c and fan speed 3000-3100rpm (so lower temp with faster rpm)

The question to myself was why is one unit so far apart from the others (originally didnt know it was the batch 1 unit yet)

Through process of trouble shooting I isolated the lower temp unit and swapped the fan for one of the others of the consistent temps and fan speed like the others. I found out that it was not the unit but the fan itself as the lower temp and faster rpm followed the fan from unit to unit.

I further looked at the fans closer and notice a distinctive difference.
Batch 1 (4 units) I got had these fans with smaller gauge wires and a different wiring pattern.

Blue yellow red black
https://ibb.co/GTGwJkH

Batch 2 units had larger gauge wires
Black red yellow blue
https://ibb.co/NZkKXWB

Both fans do have the same order at the plug to the board just different going into the fan. (different brand of fan I take it)

In conclusion the difference between the fans from Batches is quite noticeable so if your seeing this too, here is what I found.  

There are a few differences between batches and even units within batches. We have multiple van vendors and their PWM curves are not exact match, so some fans will be faster.
Activity: 14
Merit: 2
FYI

After having units running from Batch 1 and units from batch 2 I have found a difference in temps and fans speeds from the two batches.
Although I was concerned I'm not to concerned now, just for fan longevity of batch 1 fans.

It all started when I added a batch one unit to my batch 2 setup
Batch 1 Setup https://imgur.com/a/A0KMm1H
Batch 2 Setup not as fancy, https://ibb.co/s9S5NVc

All batch 2 unit temps were 68c-69c and fan speeds 2800-2900rpm constant across the 7 units from batch 2
When I added a batch 1 unit to the other 7 units one unit was 62c-63c and fan speed 3000-3100rpm (so lower temp with faster rpm)

The question to myself was why is one unit so far apart from the others (originally didnt know it was the batch 1 unit yet)

Through process of trouble shooting I isolated the lower temp unit and swapped the fan for one of the others of the consistent temps and fan speed like the others. I found out that it was not the unit but the fan itself as the lower temp and faster rpm followed the fan from unit to unit.

I further looked at the fans closer and notice a distinctive difference.
Batch 1 (4 units) I got had these fans with smaller gauge wires and a different wiring pattern.

Blue yellow red black
https://ibb.co/GTGwJkH

Batch 2 units had larger gauge wires
Black red yellow blue
https://ibb.co/NZkKXWB

Both fans do have the same order at the plug to the board just different going into the fan. (different brand of fan I take it)

In conclusion the difference between the fans from Batches is quite noticeable so if your seeing this too, here is what I found.  

Activity: 49
Merit: 5
I’ve tried to search through the threads and did a search and really didn’t find anything but has anyone tried to add sha256 usb miners to the Apollo?

It probably isn’t worth it in terms of extra electricity usage but I have 2 Ttbit sha256 usb miners lying around and is wondering if I can hook it up to the Apollo rig.

Has anyone tried something like that?
Activity: 49
Merit: 5

GPU miner here, been running dual PSUs for last decade. My typical rig consists of one motherboard, 6 or 8 cards, two PSUs 650-850W each, for total of 1100-1200W per rig. They are running for years on end, without any reboots.
I presume you just speaking from what you heard, not real experience?
I agree, that running two PSUs on one electrical device (like one Apollo or one GPU) is a no no. But don't extrapolate that to "One should NEVER try to run ANY sort of PSU's in parallel" (your quote), because that's BS.

Are you running your PSUs in parallel or in series though?  It seems you have one set of things powered by one and another set of things powering separate items. The current only flows through one path in a series setup.

Exactly, I Previously had 2 gpu-mining rigs, one running 12 cards the other with 5 cards. Having 2 power supplies is fine as long as you have it set up correctly. First you’ll need a piece of hardware like add2psu which connects the 2nd-slave psu to the master, you can also use a paper clip if you’re willing to take that risk. The main thing is
 to connect the peripherals to 1 psu and not both. For example for mining rigs the gpu riser and gpu will be connected to 1 psu so both pull from the same power source. You should never connect the riser to one and the gpu on it to another, that would cause problems. So I’m terms of the Apollo don’t plug 2 separate power suppliers into 1 machine..

My old rig ran 24/7 for around 3 years straight never had any serious problems or fire related incidents, you just need to know what you’re doing
Activity: 882
Merit: 5814
not your keys, not your coins!
~ snip ~
Interesting, you're the first one I come across that reinstalled the OS from scratch on an Apollo. I'm wondering then, how you got the miner working? I understood that we're not supposed to do anything with the system, not even package upgrades, since it could break something in the driver for the hashboard or something like that.

Yes, that's right, if you do Ubuntu updates, it may break mining. Jstefanop use third party software package to enable miner communication via GPIO pins on top of the Orange Pi. There is some incompatibility in this software if you update system by hand.
I worked around that by connecting miner via USB cable to itself. Every shipped miner can work either via GPIO or USB.
Oh yes, this makes so much sense! After all, the standard unit is basically an Orange Pi and a 'Only Hashboard' in one single case. I think I would then also just omit the GPIO connector and add a small USB cable; that way I can run my own OS Smiley

@jstefanop is there any reason (except maybe the sleekness of the device) to use the GPIOs? Maybe better hashrate?
For keeping the device's sleek design, but allowing users to run own OS, it might be cool to offer the GPIO connection software as a package to install! Smiley

Things done:
Orange Pi 4 (Apollo's controller) 7mm fan increased to full 5V, it was overheating before

Did you replace it with the Pi 4? Because mine appears to have a Pi 3.

No, my full package Apollo came with Orange Pi 4, 6-core, 4GB RAM.

Code:
$ inxi -F
System:    Host: orangepi4 Kernel: 5.10.63-rockchip64 aarch64 bits: 64 Console: tty 3
           Distro: Armbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Machine:   Type: ARM Device System: OrangePi 4 details: N/A serial: 
CPU:       Info: 6-Core (2-Die) model: N/A variant-1: cortex-a53 variant-2: cortex-a72 bits: 64 type: MCP MCM
           Speed: 1800 MHz min/max: 408/1416:1800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1416 2: 1416 3: 1416 4: 1416 5: 1800
           6: 1800
~ snip ~
Interesting, you're the first one I come across that reinstalled the OS from scratch on an Apollo. I'm wondering then, how you got the miner working? I understood that we're not supposed to do anything with the system, not even package upgrades, since it could break something in the driver for the hashboard or something like that.

Yes, that's right, if you do Ubuntu updates, it may break mining. Jstefanop use third party software package to enable miner communication via GPIO pins on top of the Orange Pi. There is some incompatibility in this software if you update system by hand.
I worked around that by connecting miner via USB cable to itself. Every shipped miner can work either via GPIO or USB.
legendary

I'm not sure if I'm the only one that is experiencing this but searching this thread is a nightmare, I'm finding that every few days my standard hashboard unit will fade off leaving only my main controller unit working. Obviously, this takes my hashrate from 4.5 to 2.0'ish but for no apparent reason.

My 2 boxes are in an air conditioned environment, I've run Bitmain ASIC's in that same room with no issue and they are on a UPS for power consistency.

The fix is simple, reboot the boxes and I'm up and running but now I'm finding that I'm having to play babysitter.

Is this something that anyone else is experiencing?

Thanks!
ML

This is a known issue that will be fixed next update. Its caused by an unstable internet connection, so you can improve this if your on wifi, but if your ISP is causing it there is not much you can do until we issue the fix.
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
Hi, been mining away happily for nearly a week, now seeing : There is a problem fetching system stats (Internal error) tried restart, message still the same.

2.47 Th/s
Current hashrate
15 Min Avg: 2.47 Th/s
158 Watt
Miner power usage
Watts per TH/s: 64
0.4%
Hardware errors
Rejected: 3
2 hours
Miner uptime
Last share: a few seconds ago
Hashboards
Status   ID   Hashrate   Temp   Fan Speed   Power   Voltage   Error   Active ASICs
Active
HASHBOARD #0
 2.47 Th/s
60°c   1738 rpm   158 W   8.09 v   0.4%   44

Any clues please?

Thanks in advance :-)

Also 2.03 Th/s
0.00°C
Activity: 5

I'm not sure if I'm the only one that is experiencing this but searching this thread is a nightmare, I'm finding that every few days my standard hashboard unit will fade off leaving only my main controller unit working. Obviously, this takes my hashrate from 4.5 to 2.0'ish but for no apparent reason.

My 2 boxes are in an air conditioned environment, I've run Bitmain ASIC's in that same room with no issue and they are on a UPS for power consistency.

The fix is simple, reboot the boxes and I'm up and running but now I'm finding that I'm having to play babysitter.

Is this something that anyone else is experiencing?

Thanks!
ML
Activity: 13
Currently have mine on slushpool. After I have enough to receive a payout can anyone recommend a solid P2Pool with a lower hashrate that is finding blocks?
Activity: 100
Merit: 6
I seen a standard unit on eBay with a broken usb c port what would it take to get that repaired?
legendary
Hey
what can I do, when a hashboard ramps up sending shares (only ~700 Gh at ~60 Watts) and seconds later stays at 0 hashes?

With "screen -r" I can see:

Code:
Pool in-service, we can send shares!

Found boards:   1
Broken SPI:     1

EVENT: 2021-09-30 12:47:34 ::: PWC_RESTART ::: brd=0, pwc=0/0
EVENT: 2021-09-30 12:47:35 ::: PWC_RESTART ::: brd=0, pwc=0/2

Can provide full logs if you need more details.

Thank you  Smiley

Reply to your order email with the full log, and well check whats up.
Activity: 4

Things done:
Orange Pi 4 (Apollo's controller) 7mm fan increased to full 5V, it was overheating before

Did you replace it with the Pi 4? Because mine appears to have a Pi 3.
Activity: 8
Merit: 1
Hey
what can I do, when a hashboard ramps up sending shares (only ~700 Gh at ~60 Watts) and seconds later stays at 0 hashes?

With "screen -r" I can see:

Code:
Pool in-service, we can send shares!

Found boards:   1
Broken SPI:     1

EVENT: 2021-09-30 12:47:34 ::: PWC_RESTART ::: brd=0, pwc=0/0
EVENT: 2021-09-30 12:47:35 ::: PWC_RESTART ::: brd=0, pwc=0/2

Can provide full logs if you need more details.

Thank you  Smiley
legendary
Any news on updated miner binary?

Should have something by end of the week.
legendary
This is for @Gags... Thank you for your post it is awesome to see other members chime in and be helpful to us noobs... lol... To @philipma to you bro I dig your videos and follow your hardware reviews and recommendations and yes I agree let's all go buy I TB crucial NVME cards and replace them in these beautiful Futurebit miner/nodes cause yea I can see the current 500GB drives not sufficing...this is in no way taking away from the beautiful creation by @jstefanop and his team... ideally he will in future releases install the larger 1 TB size NVME cards for due to Bitcoin size the 500 GB will not suffice within 2 years time... by the way philipma a question I pose to you is whether to clone our node drive we have installed currently or to start a fresh node install on what would be the new 1TB drive...and finally @crypto_curious thank you as well for your post every bit of input from the membership is appreciated

To the man who is at the heart of this all...JSTEFANOP...I cannot stop praising you and your team's creation...it is just gorgeous and the Node and Miner Dashboard are just awesome to view and to take in the information displayed on them...please keep up the outstanding work...you have gained a lifelong devotee and client...I so look forward to the second miner that I just ordered and hopefully expect delivery by year's end...and of course, look forward to seeing what new and amazing devices you and your crew design in the near future... Smiley Wink Grin Cool

Thanks that means a lot! Of course I have this whole community to thank just as much, none of all this grass roots non-VC funded work would be possible without all of you. Now the next step is to get the Apollo and devices like it to millions of BTC users, we need projects like this to scale if we want to take Bitcoin back from the institutional grip thats starting to take hold.

Tweet at all the influencers, drop emails to crypto news sites etc...no one has really covered us yet and we dont have a budget to spend 10s of thousands on PR.
Activity: 12
Any news on updated miner binary?
Activity: 91
Merit: 2
rebooted my two miners today and both not showing stats and says inactive in web GUI?. Strange as these have been running just fine for the last couple months. But solo.ckpool shows they are actively mining. Both on 0.3.1 firmware. The node status still shows up too

Just an FYI if John still working on a fix

EDIT, I did a miner restart in the Web GUI and stats showing again. When I first rebooted I powered off at the unit because I could not access via IP (router upgrade)
Pages:
Jump to: