Pages:
Author

Topic: Official FutureBit Apollo LTC Image and Support thread - page 12. (Read 49483 times)

legendary
Activity: 2061
Merit: 1388
The only real answer to this question is that right now you can mine the most crypto from any given hardware in recent litecoin history. It is without the doubt the best moment to be mining, and people in a few years would kill to be able to mine .2 litecoin a month, just like people wish they could mine anything close to .2 bitcoin a month today on a small peice of hardware running on your desk  Wink

This is where I find the disconnect between BTC and LTC. BTC is actively being developed, but LTC feels abandoned by Charlie Lee and no one has really stepped up. I still like that pooler put in a lot of work with litecoinpool, cpuminer, electrum-ltc. And you jstefanop with this ASIC miner, bfgminer, etc.  Hard to say if LTC community can really step up with the coding side of it. I haven't seen any commits in over a year.

For the question on why I personally am working on BTC over LTC (even though BTC is in my pipeline  Wink ) is simply because thats how I got into crypto back in 2011-12, whats also more exciting for me is the fact that LTC is an order of magnitude smaller than BTC in terms of network hash power, community etc and thats a plus since the stuff im working on I dont need to sell 100's of thousands of units to have a material impact on the network.

As for the dev side of things, there is a lot of stuff happening in the background that you cant see simply from commits etc. Version 18 of the node is about to be released, and we are pretty close to testing the wimblenimble extension blocks on the network, which will be a huge update and set LTC apart even further from BTC.
Activity: 37
Merit: 0
If you having probs with heat from USB sticks get a male to female USB lead and proximity/heat issue gone. Simples
Activity: 84
Merit: 6
The only real answer to this question is that right now you can mine the most crypto from any given hardware in recent litecoin history. It is without the doubt the best moment to be mining, and people in a few years would kill to be able to mine .2 litecoin a month, just like people wish they could mine anything close to .2 bitcoin a month today on a small peice of hardware running on your desk  Wink

This is where I find the disconnect between BTC and LTC. BTC is actively being developed, but LTC feels abandoned by Charlie Lee and no one has really stepped up. I still like that pooler put in a lot of work with litecoinpool, cpuminer, electrum-ltc. And you jstefanop with this ASIC miner, bfgminer, etc.  Hard to say if LTC community can really step up with the coding side of it. I haven't seen any commits in over a year.

Any person with absolute lowest IQ (that would be me!!) should be able to connect the dots and says NO to LTC!

Announcement was all over the news and internet:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/20/litecoin-founder-charlie-lee-sells-his-holdings-in-the-cryptocurrency.html

How much and when? When it was as high as LTC boy figured his baby coin could reach!

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/litecoin/

So, it went UP UP UP ... the guy emptied his wallet to ZERO ... since then LTC has kept going DOWN DOWN DOWN ... because certainly developers do not give CRAP CRAP CRAP!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/codm8v/charlie_lee_admitting_that_leaked_chat_about_no/

FWIW, CL says he sold some and donated some ... but no one knows where he donated!!
Activity: 1176
Merit: 111

Activity: 4
Thank you for your answers. I still ordered an Apollo because this little ASIC interests me, and I plan to mine solo with it. More than waiting for it to arrive in France. Thank you again for your honest answers.
Activity: 9

On a different note, where are all the Apollo Full Node holdouts??? Were ~10 nodes away from being the #3 most popular node on the Litecoin network....grab a spare USB drive and fire up those nodes we should be in the hundreds by now!

I got hit by a tornado last Friday, so one node down is on me. Ripped the roof off, and had to cut power to the building.
Mining crypto and securing the network is never a loss, and thats even more true unless you somehow lose the coins you mined.

The only time you "lose" is if you are selling crypto for fiat, in which case you dont belong here and you should be making fiat some other way.

The reason I built sub 200 watt machines are so people never have to worry about how much fiat that are using to run one 24/7, because a cup of coffee a month almost anyone can afford, but the upside to what they are mining in crypto is almost limitless.

The answer I give most people when they bring up "but your mining at a fiat loss so why would you mine at all" is to go back to the beginning and realize why people were mining bitcoin when it was literally "worthless" against fiat.

The only real answer to this question is that right now you can mine the most crypto from any given hardware in recent litecoin history. It is without the doubt the best moment to be mining, and people in a few years would kill to be able to mine .2 litecoin a month, just like people wish they could mine anything close to .2 bitcoin a month today on a small peice of hardware running on your desk  Wink

On a different note, where are all the Apollo Full Node holdouts??? Were ~10 nodes away from being the #3 most popular node on the Litecoin network....grab a spare USB drive and fire up those nodes we should be in the hundreds by now!

First thing first: I was a fan - and still am of your hard work and bravery betting your time, energy and resources on LTC! I am sure you could've chosen any other crypto / coin and come up with similar idea / solution and implement it. But, you chose LTC! Why? I still don't know and you don't share what affected your decision.

Not our business ... it's your business!!

But I never said mining is wrong.

Looking at LTC foundation's in/activities which they don't even care to update their main web site with current year (still showing 2019) and their official forums with questions like "How often you visit dating sites" and etc, I say mining or even bothering with LTC is a loss.

What could change my mind with LTC is to hearing news like Atari's choice of LTC (https://www.theblockcrypto.com/linked/65840/litecoin-and-atari-team-up-in-anticipation-of-the-atari-tokens-launch) helps me not Zzzzzzzzz when someone talks about LTC!!

Yes, certain people at certain point of time do things that absolutely makes no sense to dummies like yours truly .... and years later I still kick myself why I wasted my time working my butt off at some highly paid IT company!!

But yesterday's ideas / solutions and or one of a kind life time opportunities come and go - and only ONCE! It would make feel even more stupid if I try to repeat what people used to do years ago and got huge returns.

I'd rather not waste my time on yesterday's brilliant ideas / dreams which became reality for some people! It's done  - gone - deal with it -> I'll try to keep my eyes open for the next unknown stupid idea similar to mining or buying bitcoin years ago!

Mining LTC though is not one of them ... their golden days are long gone.

As for mining and wasting electricity, YES, it is indeed waste of energy which can be used for a lot more critical things in the world ... like helping certain part of our world without power or super expensive!

But, I still do it! I mine ETH or ETC with only 1 RX 580 GPU 24x7 and pays for itself a lot quicker than mining LTC. More critical is the fact that ETH boys and girls are full of positive ideas / activities / updates etc which keep me sit straight, pay attention and take notes.

What I do appreciate your company is the fact that I purchased both your products (Apollo and Moonlander 2) NOT as money making machine but strictly for education and I learned a lot and helped me to open my eyes to this wonderful world of future.

One of the highlights of my short journey with Futurbit is that ASIC mining is even more wrong and it's interesting how many popular cryptos change / upgrade their networks / protocols to keep ASIC miners far away.

LTC is in hands of a few hundred major miners worldwide with thousands of devices in their farms so in fact LTC's future is in their hands! Why would I care to keep LTC network secure by running a node so they can benefit from increased security of LTC network which obviously would raise the LTC price and make even more cash for their LTC??

Your company didn't work so hard for over a year to just enable Apollo to work as a node and become #3 or #1 popular node out there.

I know why you did it but you should've thrown a bigger bone for little guys like me to get our attention to care. Wink
legendary
Hello, i'm a newbie and thinking to buy an Apollo.
I juste have 2 questions :
- what is the interest to run a full node ?
- what benefit i can expected / month with this Apollo

Many thanks.

Short answer; don’t bother.

If you even pay for electricity as low as .10 (USD), there will be loss.

Mining crypto and securing the network is never a loss, and thats even more true unless you somehow lose the coins you mined.

The only time you "lose" is if you are selling crypto for fiat, in which case you dont belong here and you should be making fiat some other way.

The reason I built sub 200 watt machines are so people never have to worry about how much fiat that are using to run one 24/7, because a cup of coffee a month almost anyone can afford, but the upside to what they are mining in crypto is almost limitless.

The answer I give most people when they bring up "but your mining at a fiat loss so why would you mine at all" is to go back to the beginning and realize why people were mining bitcoin when it was literally "worthless" against fiat.

The only real answer to this question is that right now you can mine the most crypto from any given hardware in recent litecoin history. It is without the doubt the best moment to be mining, and people in a few years would kill to be able to mine .2 litecoin a month, just like people wish they could mine anything close to .2 bitcoin a month today on a small peice of hardware running on your desk  Wink

Just got a new FutureBit  Batch 3 and my dashboard doesn't show us. It said: SyntaxError: Unexpected token in JSON at position 1476
Anyone can help me with that.
Thanks

Download the image again (don’t use whatever you already have) and build your SD card.
Activity: 1
Just got a new FutureBit  Batch 3 and my dashboard doesn't show us. It said: SyntaxError: Unexpected token in JSON at position 1476
Anyone can help me with that.
Thanks
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7t6lf5qwbpz0wv/Screenshot%202020-05-22%2009.55.52.png?dl=0

Many thanks.

Short answer; don’t bother.

Long answer; one of the most popular and trustworthy pools for LTC here:

https://www.litecoinpool.org/calc

If you even pay for electricity as low as .10 (USD), there will be loss.

Due to obvious reasons (google it!), the number of LTC miners are decreasing by day - first little guys / penny makers not wasting time / money and now big boys too. Sure the network difficulty decreases ... but the problem is LTC price also keeps going down affecting those who pay for power!

Hope, above answered your 2nd question!

As for your 1st question, absolutely nothing except helping network to become more secure thus helping the giant miners make more $$ - until LTC’s done - forever!

NOTE: as an owner of 1 batch 2 and about 8 or something Moonlander 2, I packed them all up and somewhere in the basement until I figure out what to do with them!! Also, above are my own thoughts based on extensive research on LTC / its founder’s activities.

However, perhaps some other experts on this fine board could share some behind the scene info not available anywhere else.

P.S If you are really interested to get in to this mining business (sort of making a few extra dollars and education), I recommend GPU mining. Check out whattomine.com for detailed info.
Activity: 2
I figured it out.   The package from Futurebit had the 64gb drive underneath the 8gb micro SD card.  Tricky packaging Wink
Activity: 2
Hello all. I have a couple Batch 1 Apollo miners.  I ordered the MCU upgrade kit for both and node for one of them.  I received my upgrade order and received an 8GB USB.   I thought we were supposed to use at least 64GB for the node.  Please clarify.  Thanks!
Activity: 4

Many thanks.
Activity: 11
I found my FULL node locked up this morning similar to JOTA_US, in my case I have the Apollo full version from FutureBit so wonder HW setup is not an issue perhaps. Would you think something happenned to some FuutureBiot nodes while interacting with the Litecoin network to cause this?

In my case, I was able to log in to the appollo and browse both minr and node dashboards, try to re-start things but nothing worked until I power off/on the box. I noticed I had to start the node again after the miner started doing its thing.
Activity: 15
Hi,

got one of my Apollo's PCIE connector overheated this night.
2x Apollos powered by a Corsair VS550 80 PLUS White, both in Balanced mode.
Both Apollos ran for 1.5 years with no issue.

Does any one of you already got this? Do you think I can use the last PCIE connector?
Thanks for advice.

https://imgur.com/a/ibawGmw

Wow never seen one that bad. This is why I stress to always check your connectors once in a while to see if they are hot, and to never run off one plug if your using a third party PSU.

You can use the other connector, but I would not run it past eco mode otherwise you risk doing the same thing to that plug.

thanks for advice. Yeah I made an error having only one connector used in Balanced Mode with third party PSU. As you can see in image, second plastic line of my plug totally melted!
I switched my second Apollo back to Eco mode and will order guaranteed FutureBit PSU!

https://imgur.com/a/07diR8t
legendary
Is anybody experiencing this? What can be the cause? It seems like since I upgraded to node I have a lot of problems because it was running for almost a year with no issue.

I had a couple of lockups in beta because the USB stick I was running was a bit temperature sensitive. I had to up the fan to keep the MCU cooler, and didn't have a problem after that.

I've got a Samsung USB for it now.

I have a Samsung USB as well, one that was recommended.

Yea the proximity to the miner most likely effects the USB drive if you get one that’s more sensitive to heat and don’t have good airflow near the unit.

I was going to only recommend SSD and USB drives with cables but these flash drives were a good compromise of cost vs performance, and of course they look super clean plugged into the Apollo  Grin
legendary
So something really strange is happening.
- Last week (I posted this earlier): The miner stopped mining but was still online (with hashrate at 0). This somehow corrupted the node's blockchain so I had to retransfer it to the usb and everything was back to normal.

- Last week end at one point the fan went at 100% for no apparent reason (I was in balanced mode), the temperatures were not too high but the dashboard was unresponsive and the fan was at 100% so I had to reboot the Apollo with the switch. This time it did not corrupt the blockchain because the node went right back up.

- Yesterday it went offline for some time (my pool tells me when the miner is offline) but I was not home so I figured there was a glitch with Internet because when I got back home it was mining like nothing had happened.

- Today it went offline again but this time I was home and Internet did not go out so I don't know what happened I just restarted it with the dashboard and it was working again. Later today the Apollo actually turned off (LED off) but the PSU was on. I actually thought it had fried.
Did a manual reboot, without the USB though because I want to test it for a few days just mining not running the node. It's mining now.

Is anybody experiencing this? What can be the cause? It seems like since I upgraded to node I have a lot of problems because it was running for almost a year with no issue.

Some instability is to be expected when your running a full node, especially if your running of an older usb drive. The controller is near its memory limit when running a full node. My test units some have been running for two months straight and others reboot every few days.

Just comes down to the quality of the drives and each controller unfortunately.
Activity: 44

I had a couple of lockups in beta because the USB stick I was running was a bit temperature sensitive. I had to up the fan to keep the MCU cooler, and didn't have a problem after that.

I've got a Samsung USB for it now.

I have a Samsung USB as well, one that was recommended.
legendary
Hi,

got one of my Apollo's PCIE connector overheated this night.
2x Apollos powered by a Corsair VS550 80 PLUS White, both in Balanced mode.
Both Apollos ran for 1.5 years with no issue.

Does any one of you already got this? Do you think I can use the last PCIE connector?
Thanks for advice.

https://imgur.com/a/ibawGmw

Wow never seen one that bad. This is why I stress to always check your connectors once in a while to see if they are hot, and to never run off one plug if your using a third party PSU.

You can use the other connector, but I would not run it past eco mode otherwise you risk doing the same thing to that plug.
Pages:
Jump to: