Pages:
Author

Topic: Official FutureBit Apollo LTC Image and Support thread - page 38. (Read 49535 times)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0
Thankyou for asking this question and answering.
Could not understand why I could not run a multi strategy or mine two different coin, like lite coin and block chain note NTBC
it seems it is one or the other

Hello guys! As with a lot of people here I'm brand new to mining. In fact, the ease of the Apollos is what got me hooked. My question is more pool-related and not hardware related. I am pointed to nicehash as a primary and litecoinpool and a secondary. I find that my equipment fails over to litecoinpool just about daily. Is that normal?  Is that something on the pool side, or should I look at my hardware?

Unfortunately you cant mix multipools with other pools on bfgminer . What happens is that bfgminer accepts block updates from even secondary pools connected to other coins, so it screws up the main pool while mining litecoin for example.

For secondary pools you have to make sure the backup pool is running the same coin your primary pool is running (ie if your running litecoin as your main pool dont have your backup pool connected to a mutipool or some other coin).

If you want to run on a mutlipool it has to be the only pool configured (ie no backup pool, and you have to run off donation pool) for it to work correctly.
legendary
Activity: 2117
Merit: 1397
Hello guys! As with a lot of people here I'm brand new to mining. In fact, the ease of the Apollos is what got me hooked. My question is more pool-related and not hardware related. I am pointed to nicehash as a primary and litecoinpool and a secondary. I find that my equipment fails over to litecoinpool just about daily. Is that normal?  Is that something on the pool side, or should I look at my hardware?

Unfortunately you cant mix multipools with other pools on bfgminer . What happens is that bfgminer accepts block updates from even secondary pools connected to other coins, so it screws up the main pool while mining litecoin for example.

For secondary pools you have to make sure the backup pool is running the same coin your primary pool is running (ie if your running litecoin as your main pool dont have your backup pool connected to a mutipool or some other coin).

If you want to run on a mutlipool it has to be the only pool configured (ie no backup pool, and you have to run off donation pool) for it to work correctly.
Activity: 2
Activity: 61
Merit: 1
One thing i noticed I'm seeing HW errors.  Is this normal? 

[147 accepted   1 rejected    108 HW error]       

Yes. Stock settings (eco, balanced, turbo) all allowed for about 5% HW errors, if I recall correctly. It seems high (compared to other ASICs), but jstefanop insists it's normal for the chips he used.
Activity: 51
Hey everybody!

(just imagine that in Dr. Nick's voice, ha, now it's stuck there)

Just curious if anyone had experimented with auxiliary fans or ducting to move air out and away from your Apollo's.
I have a couple L3's that I've finally perfected some duct work with an exhaust fan and was thinking about trying to tie in the Apollo as well.
Be glad to hear thoughts, concerns, and suggestions on the build idea.
That being;
Removing the cover, side plates, and stock fan.
Putting a 120mm on the heat sink and attaching it...somehow.
Zip-ties are great.
Running that off a 12v power supply that is running my exhaust fans, which are also 120mm, and has an adjustable output to control the speed.
Attaching a 4" shroud to duct into the existing work.
One of my major concerns is that because the 120mm fan is a bit larger than the heat-sink, it will not pull enough air "through" the actual heat-sink because of its super sweet design and just pull air from the sides.
A possible fix for this would be mounting an fan with a shroud on both sides of the fan to restrict the air flow to the actual cutout of the existing fan exhaust on the cover plate.
jstefanop, is there a fan sensor safety like the L3 have or just the temp sensors?
Just to be clear, I have zero problem with the noise levels, its minimal anyway, or actual heat coming off of the Apollo.  This is just messing around.  I live in Austin so always tinkering with ideas during the summer time.
The next project will be taking on littleless's solar power setup.
Thanks y'all,
Happy Mining.
Activity: 40
I skimmed thru the forum and didn't see the answer i was looking for.  Sorry if this is a repeat.  

I just got my Apollo today and will use my spare 550 PSU for now till i get futureBit PSU.  Anyway my question is that do i use 2 separate PCIE cables from PSU to Apollo or will i be fine w/ using 1 PCIE cable on both power terminals on Apollo?

One thing i noticed I'm seeing HW errors.  Is this normal? 

[147 accepted   1 rejected    108 HW error]       
I haven't been on here in a while, and I'll read back too see if I can find info. I ordered one of the new power supplies for the Apollo a few months ago and haven't heard anything from Futurebit. Are they still coming?

There is a post three spots above yours that explains that not only is this the wrong place to ask that question, but also has an explanation of shipping timeframes.
when hooking up the Apollos to the breakout board, does it matter which they are connected to?

No. All connectors on the breakout board provide the same power.
Activity: 16
I haven't been on here in a while, and I'll read back too see if I can find info. I ordered one of the new power supplies for the Apollo a few months ago and haven't heard anything from Futurebit. Are they still coming?
Activity: 20
Quick question; when hooking up the Apollos to the breakout board, does it matter which they are connected to? I'm assuming it doesn't, but I want to be sure before the Apollo
s arrive (next week hopefully)

PSU+Breakout board i have:
https://www.parallelminer.com/product/platinum-psu-kit-hp-1200-watt-x8-for-asic-gpu-miner/
Activity: 206
Merit: 100
Assuming jstefanop et. al. get it running on the Orange Pi Zero, the biggest limitation is the storage space; my node is currently using 24G to store the blockchain, so you'll need a sizable SD card.

It could be more practical to store the blockchain on some USB flash stick since there's an USB port available anyway. That way the SD card size wouldn't matter that much and updating the firmware by fully erasing the card content wouldn't reset the blockchain back to zero (or to some other older snapshot the firmware possibly provides).

Yea this is the main issue we are still trying to figure out with the full node (other than the memory limitations we are still working through). We still want to make it that the whole node runs on the current hardware with nothing extra, but based on how bad the node wears down SD cards we might need to provide an external USB drive solution for better reliability.

Almost done with getting Batch 2 out the door, and my full attention will turn to this...

So pleased to hear that the full node is in the works following the Batch 2 being on their way. Been waiting what seems like ages for this - I want to solo mine my Apollos from now on and mining against a node on the rig is the best scenario (I had considered a VM on my NAS, but I like the thought of this better).

FWIW and for those interested, I was one of the guys running L3's until last week, and with the price action on LTC, I decided to shut down 75% of my capacity and run only my Apollos from here on out. It hurt, but LTC is losing ground immensely and without privacy solution ready for mainnet, I don't think LTC is going to gain ground on BTC.

With the halving and price slumping, I foresee an immediate 25% reduction in hashrate, and 50% over the next six months, unless Charlie Lee pulls mimblewimble out of his hat.
Activity: 344
Merit: 251
Wrong thread. But here's your answer

quote from jstefanop

Here is the update email for anyone that ordered and didn't see it (which was about 25% of you, and instead of calling me pathetic a 5 second inbox search you would have found it). Im also pretty active on twitter and on here with updates if you miss the email.

https://mailchi.mp/f44e011db3c1/introducing-the-futurebit-apollo-383755

Also I understand the frustration when you order something that is not cheap and dont get it on the expected timeframe, but two weeks late in the pre-order world is pretty outstanding. I do my best to estimate when my supply chain will have everything ready, but the Apollo has dozens of different parts from diffrent vendors and its impossible to sync all of them perfectly, especially since we took the time to redesign the case and many other parts of the overall customer experience (not to mention n completely new power supply design which I spent more time than I care to admit on).

Obviously I need to work on this and want to get to the point where Im shipping early, but its a far cry from the 90% of project on here that dont ship anything or months late (I think those are more a fair designation for pathetic). And to be clear, I operate FutureBit as essentially a non-profit to get as much hardware out to as many people as possible...this means I dont have a budget for marketing, sales, customer support, and time to write up updates every day...wish I did but then I would be charging 600 bucks for the same product (or selling my soul to greedy investors).

BTW All PCBs are done at our factory, and now its just a matter of getting in all our cases and assembling/testing and shipping them out. First units are going out in the coming days, and PSU is due in at the end of next week which is when the full package orders will start going out

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036.460
Activity: 2
Hello, I ordered Batch2 back in may and in the anouncement it was called to be delivered end of june. Until today I did not recieved the miner and even no shipping informations.

Can anybody give me a update how long it will take to get the miner delivered?
Activity: 3
I got my answer. a solar controller has 3 connections, solar panel, battery and output to miner. I was just wondering if a ac inverter was used but I'm just going to hook miner directly to miner DC connection. Can't wait to try this.
My miner connected directly to charge controller through 15A kill-switch(as a fuse) and works absolutely fine without any other voltage conversion.  But when connect miner to charge controller's "load" output, make sure it can handle (should be written in manual), my miner in eco mode consumes up to 10A @ 10.8V.

Thats awesome...you guys should definitely blog/tweet/post about this stuff. This is the kind of things I envision people doing with a sub 200 watt home miner yet very few people still know about it.

Free power, eco friendly, decentralized mining! Cool stuff!
It's true amazing stuff, but still slightly expensive... all set up cost me ~ £600 + miner cost(another ~£360). In today's reality it makes me ~£0.2 daily. Most bloggers say: ...it's easier to buy crypto and HODL... Cheesy So as a hobby it is a very great thing, but no more...
Activity: 95
Merit: 2
My solar setup: 2x300w solar panels, eSmart 3series 60A MPPT charge controller, 12V 200Ah AGM battery. Miner connected to controllers load terminal through 15Amps dc trip-switch(works as a fuse) and controller set up to shut load when battery voltage drops to 10.8v. The miner consumption @this setup never exceeded 10A (miner setup eco mode)   Due to location of solar panels miner works only 15-17Hrs when sunny day. Need to put panels on the roof, now it is on the ground and I miss ~50-70w in production and ~1.5hrs of sun in evening. When will fix all that, should be enough to run it 24h when sunny
Maybe what dwood443 is also asking is did u connect it to the controller direct to the Apollo with or without a power supply ..

I got my answer. a solar controller has 3 connections, solar panel, battery and output to miner. I was just wondering if a ac inverter was used but I'm just going to hook miner directly to miner DC connection. Can't wait to try this.
Activity: 55
My solar setup: 2x300w solar panels, eSmart 3series 60A MPPT charge controller, 12V 200Ah AGM battery. Miner connected to controllers load terminal through 15Amps dc trip-switch(works as a fuse) and controller set up to shut load when battery voltage drops to 10.8v. The miner consumption @this setup never exceeded 10A (miner setup eco mode)   Due to location of solar panels miner works only 15-17Hrs when sunny day. Need to put panels on the roof, now it is on the ground and I miss ~50-70w in production and ~1.5hrs of sun in evening. When will fix all that, should be enough to run it 24h when sunny
Maybe what dwood443 is also asking is did u connect it to the controller direct to the Apollo with or without a power supply ..
legendary
Activity: 2117
Merit: 1397
My solar setup: 2x300w solar panels, eSmart 3series 60A MPPT charge controller, 12V 200Ah AGM battery. Miner connected to controllers load terminal through 15Amps dc trip-switch(works as a fuse) and controller set up to shut load when battery voltage drops to 10.8v. The miner consumption @this setup never exceeded 10A (miner setup eco mode)   Due to location of solar panels miner works only 15-17Hrs when sunny day. Need to put panels on the roof, now it is on the ground and I miss ~50-70w in production and ~1.5hrs of sun in evening. When will fix all that, should be enough to run it 24h when sunny

Thats awesome...you guys should definitely blog/tweet/post about this stuff. This is the kind of things I envision people doing with a sub 200 watt home miner yet very few people still know about it.

Free power, eco friendly, decentralized mining! Cool stuff!
My solar setup: 2x300w solar panels, eSmart 3series 60A MPPT charge controller, 12V 200Ah AGM battery. Miner connected to controllers load terminal through 15Amps dc trip-switch(works as a fuse) and controller set up to shut load when battery voltage drops to 10.8v. The miner consumption @this setup never exceeded 10A (miner setup eco mode)   Due to location of solar panels miner works only 15-17Hrs when sunny day. Need to put panels on the roof, now it is on the ground and I miss ~50-70w in production and ~1.5hrs of sun in evening. When will fix all that, should be enough to run it 24h when sunny
Activity: 95
Hi, I run one of solar. My charge controller gives up to 14.4v when bulk charging and when works on batteries I set up to run it all the way to 10.8v(~50% of the batteries). Miner runs perfect in this condition and consumes about 9-10Amps @ 10.8v(eco mode). The only thing I added 15Amp circuit breaker just to be on safe side. P.S. I'm not electrician, this is just my experiment.

Could you give me more info on your solar setup? Panel and controller size. Did you connect the Apollo directly to the controller with maybe a fuse in between? What kind of battery do you use
Right now I only have a couple 100 watt solar panels and a small 30 amp controller but I'm really interested in doing this too.
Sorry for all the questions and appreciate any help you can offer.
Hi, I run one of solar. My charge controller gives up to 14.4v when bulk charging and when works on batteries I set up to run it all the way to 10.8v(~50% of the batteries). Miner runs perfect in this condition and consumes about 9-10Amps @ 10.8v(eco mode). The only thing I added 15Amp circuit breaker just to be on safe side. P.S. I'm not electrician, this is just my experiment.
Pages:
Jump to: