Pages:
Author

Topic: Official FutureBit Apollo LTC Image and Support thread - page 35. (Read 49535 times)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0
Received my miner 8/5/19. Even though USPS beat the box up pretty bad and tape holding box closed was broken all was well inside. Set up and running in less than 30 min. Eco mode runs .5 HW errors. Balanced mode runs between 1.7 and 2.2 HW errors.
Would really like to experiment with custom mode ,but not knowing baseline voltage and frequency setting for balanced mode I am afraid of burning unit up.
Can we get standard values for balanced and turbo mode please?
Overall happy with miner except fact that included power supply will not run it in turbo mode.
legendary
Activity: 2117
Merit: 1397
Has anyone had a problem with your Apollo miner not coming online?? I can connect to the dashboard but cant get the miner to start. The miner powers up and then a solid red light. Mined for a day before this happened.

Try setting fan speed to manual at around 25%. There is a known issue with some batch 2 units where the auto fan function will trigger a fan issue and shut down the miner. Setting this to manual fan speed in settings is a workaround until we issue the next firmware update.
Activity: 159
My Apollo was having a hard time, hardware errors between 15-25% but luckily fixed with some tips in this topic. Re-image the sd-card. Now running like sunshine again.
Activity: 1
Has anyone had a problem with your Apollo miner not coming online?? I can connect to the dashboard but cant get the miner to start. The miner powers up and then a solid red light. Mined for a day before this happened.

yes. we have 2 Apollos. one works great. the other likes to red light constantly. not sure why. it will randomly give up after 24-48 hours. to get the problem unit back online, we have to reconnect it to ethernet (disconnect from wifi) and reboot it several times. also, trying to access the miner via http://futurebit.local/ doesn't always work. scan your network for a device called "futurebit" and try connecting directly to the IP of the miner. If you see an unnamed device on the network, that might be your miner. ours doesn't always display its "futurebit" label. if that happens, try connecting to that mystery IP http://xxx.xxx.x.xxx and hopefully, you should be back in business.
Activity: 4
Is it possible to use a 3rd party monitoring tool with the Apollo? I use EthMonitoring for my other devices.
Activity: 20
What sort of display did you have in mind?

The bfgminer api exposes most of the useful information so I suppose something like attaching an Arduino with a 7-segment display to the USB port and having a script to feed it for example the hashrate from the api could be one simple option. Replace that 7-segment display with some commonly used small OLED and you could fit a little bit more info there. Replace the Arduino with a ESP8266 or ESP32 and it could read the bfgminer api by itself without needing to be attached to the USB port.
I’m not sure what sort of display. I’m researching different options now. - But I’m wanting something small, probably around 4x6 inches or so. But I believe ideally, I’m wanting to display the command line process?

Not for any functional reason. But rather last night I had an idea to make sort of an art piece out of an Apollo. And I think displaying the code/hashing on a external display a requirement to make it worth exploring this little side project further.

If it had been a small status / monitoring display you were looking for then https://github.com/Qrome/printer-monitor is probably the closest that comes to mind that could be made Apollo compatible with some code changes (new output layout + bfgminer json parsing instead of octoprint json).

If with command line process you refer to the bfgminer console output then one possibility could be to modify the startup parameters a little bit and make it use a log file. Then you'd need some process to read that log and dump it to some display. As there's only a USB port available, you'd either need some USB->VGA converter (DisplayLink may be supported enough) + a small VGA display. Most likely the cheaper option would be to have an Arduino connected to the USB which would then become visible as a serial port. With some scripting, it would be possible to dump new lines from the log file to the serial port which would the be read by the Arduino and shown on some supported display (https://www.buydisplay.com/default/9-inch-arduino-touch-screen-shield-ssd1963-library-for-mega-due for example, the largest I could find). With the Arduino, you'd have full control on how to output the input text and that way make it as artistic as you'd want/can.

I haven't actually gotten my Apollos yet. They currently are scheduled for delivery next week. But I just went and looked around, and I think that the console output by bfgminer is exactly what I'm looking for. I found this sample output from their thread:

Sample output:
Code:
 bfgminer version 5.5.0 - Started: [2014-06-10 20:13:01] - [  0 days 06:15:32]
 [M]anage devices [P]ool management [S]ettings [D]isplay options  [H]elp [Q]uit
 Pool 0: ...ning.eligius.st  Diff:128  +Strtm  LU:[02:28:32]  User:1QATWksNFGeUJCWBrN4g6hGM178Lovm7Wh
 Block #305190: ...6e8ba4d9  Diff:11.8G (84.16P)  Started: [02:07:22]  I:1.04mBTC/hr
 ST:156  F:0  NB:31  AS:0  BW:[269/ 12 B/s]  E:1127.28  BS:21.8M
 5/24   63.0C | 94.10/98.68/95.60Gh/s | A:1974 R:2+2(.20%) HW:5729/2.6%
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 BFL 0: 54.0C |  8.11/ 8.10/ 7.65Gh/s | A:  62 R:1+2(4.6%) HW: 273/1.3%
 HBR 0: 63.0C | 22.91/22.85/21.55Gh/s | A: 208 R:0+0(none) HW:3022/5.4%
 TBF 0: 28.0C |  5.13/ 5.10/ 4.89Gh/s | A:  49 R:0+0(none) HW: 331/4.5%
 PXY 0:       | 27.85/30.23/29.84Gh/s | A: 358 R:1+0(.28%) HW: 450/1.0%
 RKM 0: 40.0C | 30.10/32.40/31.67Gh/s | A:1297 R:0+0(none) HW:1653/.92%
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 [2014-06-11 02:28:10] Accepted 00c819ef HBR 0d Diff 327/255
 [2014-06-10 02:28:13] Accepted 012058dd PXY 0  Diff 227/128
 [2014-06-11 02:28:15] Accepted 01778be1 RKM 0b Diff 174/128

I think if I could somehow display that as it happened, that would be perfect. Especially if it can be easily done. Because as much as I hate to admit it, I'm not the most technically savvy person there is.

But really, my goal with this display isn't anything more than to show "the process" of mining. - When the average person hears of "crypto mining" and sees a miner, they just think its a thing that takes up a lot of space, makes heat, and wastes electricity. And I figure if there's a way of showing "what" the miner is doing, maybe they'll realize about the whole decentralization thing.

(Also, I just haven't seen any good art influenced by crypto. So I figured why not make it myself)
Activity: 61
Merit: 4

The bfgminer api exposes most of the useful information so I suppose something like attaching an Arduino with a 7-segment display to the USB port and having a script to feed it for example the hashrate from the api could be one simple option. Replace that 7-segment display with some commonly used small OLED and you could fit a little bit more info there. Replace the Arduino with a ESP8266 or ESP32 and it could read the bfgminer api by itself without needing to be attached to the USB port.
I’m not sure what sort of display. I’m researching different options now. - But I’m wanting something small, probably around 4x6 inches or so. But I believe ideally, I’m wanting to display the command line process?

Not for any functional reason. But rather last night I had an idea to make sort of an art piece out of an Apollo. And I think displaying the code/hashing on a external display a requirement to make it worth exploring this little side project further.

If it had been a small status / monitoring display you were looking for then https://github.com/Qrome/printer-monitor is probably the closest that comes to mind that could be made Apollo compatible with some code changes (new output layout + bfgminer json parsing instead of octoprint json).

If with command line process you refer to the bfgminer console output then one possibility could be to modify the startup parameters a little bit and make it use a log file. Then you'd need some process to read that log and dump it to some display. As there's only a USB port available, you'd either need some USB->VGA converter (DisplayLink may be supported enough) + a small VGA display. Most likely the cheaper option would be to have an Arduino connected to the USB which would then become visible as a serial port. With some scripting, it would be possible to dump new lines from the log file to the serial port which would the be read by the Arduino and shown on some supported display (https://www.buydisplay.com/default/9-inch-arduino-touch-screen-shield-ssd1963-library-for-mega-due for example, the largest I could find). With the Arduino, you'd have full control on how to output the input text and that way make it as artistic as you'd want/can.
I have a bit of a strange question. But is it possible to somehow display the hashing process onto an external display?

Activity: 61
Merit: 4
I have a bit of a strange question. But is it possible to somehow display the hashing process onto an external display?

Activity: 748
Merit: 523
I had mine a LTC block at Litecoinpool with my Apollo number 2 a few days ago  Cool

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sv4x047bjrt5x25/Litecoinpool%20block.png?dl=0
Activity: 62
Merit: 1
Hi, currently how much they are mining a day ??

Day   0.0021   $0.20   

Thanks

As of this reply with a difficulty of 15930321 2 Apollos will get you approx. 0.004 cents/day. At that rate you're looking at $1.46/year, depending on the LTC price. Hope LTC price goes up. I shut my 2 Apollos down today until the LTC price goes up. My 5 Moonlanders have paid for themselves with the Apollos running but that was then and this is now.

Too bad litecoinpool.org doesn't reward finding a block.
Hi, currently how much they are mining a day ??

Day   0.0021   $0.20   

Thanks
Activity: 95
Merit: 2

Thats awesome...you guys should definitely blog/tweet/post about this stuff. This is the kind of things I envision people doing with a sub 200 watt home miner yet very few people still know about it.

Free power, eco friendly, decentralized mining! Cool stuff!

Finally got my solar setup running. Apollo is running on solar at eco setting. Excited to see how long my battery will keep it running at night. Need more batteries Smiley

what parts list is in ure solar set up, Going to start looking for solar set up need some ideas.
Thanks

I've been just playing around so far. I have 4 100 watt panels and just added 4 65 watt used panels. All all 12 volt. I have each group of 4 connected in series and then parallel connection to my 40 watt solar charge controller. I'm producing around 400 watts at peak. I only have one 12 volt battery right now. So I can run the Apollo off solar all day and about 4-5 hours into the night until the controller shuts down due to low battery.

Off the grid is nice. So I'm wondering:

[1] - How much do you have invested in your setup (or what would be the price if another had to buy everything)?
[2] - Do you think it will pay for itself - if so, at the current mining price - when would you break even?
[3] - I operate in balanced mode - would your setup support other than ECO?

I ask because the recent halving has totally taken away any concept of cost effectiveness unless the electrical cost can be zeroed.

When I started solar I wanted to be able to survive a power outage, in summer power the fridge and winter power the gas furnace. Now the Solar bug has got me so I thought I'd just hook up my Apollos and use up some of this emergency power I'm generating. I picked up the renogy panels for $80 each on amazon sale. Renogy controller was about $60. Used panels were $20 each. Battery was around $160. I'm still looking to get more batteries. A single Apollo cost me $8 to run a month so I'll never get my money back.

But, I bet if you searched craigslist and found some used or newer high voltage panels and could scrape up some deep cycle batteries with a decent controller you could run much cheaper.
Activity: 62
Merit: 1

Thats awesome...you guys should definitely blog/tweet/post about this stuff. This is the kind of things I envision people doing with a sub 200 watt home miner yet very few people still know about it.

Finally got my solar setup running. Apollo is running on solar at eco setting. Excited to see how long my battery will keep it running at night. Need more batteries Smiley

what parts list is in ure solar set up, Going to start looking for solar set up need some ideas.
Thanks

I've been just playing around so far. I have 4 100 watt panels and just added 4 65 watt used panels. All all 12 volt. I have each group of 4 connected in series and then parallel connection to my 40 watt solar charge controller. I'm producing around 400 watts at peak. I only have one 12 volt battery right now. So I can run the Apollo off solar all day and about 4-5 hours into the night until the controller shuts down due to low battery.

Off the grid is nice. So I'm wondering:

[1] - How much do you have invested in your setup (or what would be the price if another had to buy everything)?
[2] - Do you think it will pay for itself - if so, at the current mining price - when would you break even?
[3] - I operate in balanced mode - would your setup support other than ECO?

I ask because the recent halving has totally taken away any concept of cost effectiveness unless the electrical cost can be zeroed.
Activity: 95

Thanks

legendary
Activity: 2117
Merit: 1397
Got my Apollo LTC up and running today. I got the full package including power supply and pre-loaded Micro-SD card. Got it up and running pointing to litecoinpool.org in 5 minutes including unboxing. Currently inside the house due it is close to 95 F in the garage. Thanks FutureBit team.

Very cool! I was also impressed by how fast everything was to get up and running. Question, if you did not notice my post...is your power supply fan spinning? Can you tell how hot your power supply is? Mine is warm to the touch running balanced mode around 40C.

Yes fan on PSU only comes on over a certain temp, its normal if it never comes on in ECO mode in a colder room.
Activity: 55

This is what someone recommend me ...

Solar Energy via Panels
Your load is 120W x 24 hours =  2880 watt hours of loads

150 watt solar panel x 5 hours day energy in CA  = 750 watt hours energy

2880/750 3.84 panels = four 150 watt solar modules

Watt = Volts x amps
Solar Energy via Batteries & inverter
Your load is 120W x 24 hours =  2880 watt hours of loads 

2880wh / 12.6 volts (12v inverter) x .9  = 205 amps  x 2 = 411 battery amp hours required

Battery options are:

Two Battleborn 12v LiFeSO4 100ah deep cycle battery
Four 6V AGM 224ah sealed lead acid deep cycle batteries.
Activity: 55

Thanks
Pages:
Jump to: