Pages:
Author

Topic: Official FutureBit Apollo LTC Image and Support thread - page 39. (Read 49535 times)

legendary
Activity: 2117
Merit: 1397
Hi I have purchased one of these and I want to run it off my solar...I have a PCie splitter and I am intending on turning the other end into one + and one - to the 12v outlet from the battery bank. My question is... the actual unloadded voltage from the battery bank is 14v not exactly 12... if I hook this up anyway, will I blow the unit?

Disclaimer - I'm not a electrician or elec engineer. I'm looking into running one of these off a solar controller as well. The specs for my APW3++ show the output for the PCIE connector is DC Voltage 12.15 V.

I was going to measure voltage and current at one of the PCIE connectors when running but have not found time to do that yet.

The regulators and caps are rated for up to 16v input. Everything is tuned for 12v obviously, but you wont "fry" the board if you run it at 14v...I just wouldn't go any higher since once you approach the limits of the caps things will start getting unstable.
Activity: 95
Merit: 2

so how long of a time frame were u mining to get 15% of the block, and were u just using one apollo.
im a newb , have a apollo batch 2 on pre-order

I've been running three Apollos since batch one, few months I guess. Just got lucky and found a shared block. With three miners running med speed my time to find block is 4 years average.
Activity: 55
Hi I have purchased one of these and I want to run it off my solar...I have a PCie splitter and I am intending on turning the other end into one + and one - to the 12v outlet from the battery bank. My question is... the actual unloadded voltage from the battery bank is 14v not exactly 12... if I hook this up anyway, will I blow the unit?

Disclaimer - I'm not a electrician or elec engineer. I'm looking into running one of these off a solar controller as well. The specs for my APW3++ show the output for the PCIE connector is DC Voltage 12.15 V.

I was going to measure voltage and current at one of the PCIE connectors when running but have not found time to do that yet.

Let us know if u get i running, i would like to go solar myself.Im in san francisco and i pay .22 a kilowat. A solar alternative for me would be great.
Activity: 55

Definitely not...the donation pool only mines on litecoinpool.org. If your solo mining you would get 100% of the solo block, nor would I ever take a solo block from someone even if the donation share fell on it. Sounds like an issue with zerg pool, but seems like he deleted the posted so I'm guessing it was resolved by them.

Congrats on the solo block either way Cheesy

I deleted the post when I realized just because I have my settings to mc=LTC,m=solo, it does not really mean I am just solo mining. The pool seems to be a bit buggy as I still do some shared mining. Just lucky enough to be mining only LTC and enjoyed a 15% piece of a shared block. So I immediately ordered another Apollo Grin

so how long of a time frame were u mining to get 15% of the block, and were u just using one apollo.
im a newb , have a apollo batch 2 on pre-order

Activity: 61
Merit: 1
Do you think its something worth doing every once in a while as preventative?

SD cards have a finite lifespan. The more you write to them, the shorter that lifespan becomes.
Activity: 1
Merit: 0

Yea this is the main issue we are still trying to figure out with the full node (other than the memory limitations we are still working through). We still want to make it that the whole node runs on the current hardware with nothing extra, but based on how bad the node wears down SD cards we might need to provide an external USB drive solution for better reliability.

Almost done with getting Batch 2 out the door, and my full attention will turn to this...

you've mentioned how reformatting/re-imaging the SD card fixes problems but I don't know if its the SD cards I bought (amazon) but I've never had an issue where I thought I needed to re-image the card. Do you think its something worth doing every once in a while as preventative? Is there any value to it, efficiency, etc...?
legendary
Assuming jstefanop et. al. get it running on the Orange Pi Zero, the biggest limitation is the storage space; my node is currently using 24G to store the blockchain, so you'll need a sizable SD card.

It could be more practical to store the blockchain on some USB flash stick since there's an USB port available anyway. That way the SD card size wouldn't matter that much and updating the firmware by fully erasing the card content wouldn't reset the blockchain back to zero (or to some other older snapshot the firmware possibly provides).

Yea this is the main issue we are still trying to figure out with the full node (other than the memory limitations we are still working through). We still want to make it that the whole node runs on the current hardware with nothing extra, but based on how bad the node wears down SD cards we might need to provide an external USB drive solution for better reliability.

Almost done with getting Batch 2 out the door, and my full attention will turn to this...
Merit: 4
Assuming jstefanop et. al. get it running on the Orange Pi Zero, the biggest limitation is the storage space; my node is currently using 24G to store the blockchain, so you'll need a sizable SD card.

It could be more practical to store the blockchain on some USB flash stick since there's an USB port available anyway. That way the SD card size wouldn't matter that much and updating the firmware by fully erasing the card content wouldn't reset the blockchain back to zero (or to some other older snapshot the firmware possibly provides).
Anyone privy to if that would be supported OR would that core only be accessible by that one Apollo?

I don't see any reason why you couldn't 'share' a node from an Apollo. That's the whole idea behind running a node anyway. Assuming jstefanop et. al. get it running on the Orange Pi Zero, the biggest limitation is the storage space; my node is currently using 24G to store the blockchain, so you'll need a sizable SD card. The rest is just network use.
Decisions decisions...

I'm looking at some Linux boxes to install a Litecoin core. My idea is to (network) connect my Apollos and Moonlanders to a single local core. I considered a VPN but it would introduce network latency which I don't want.

However - if Futurebit is promising the next Apollo version will support a Litecoin core I might forget the above and just use that - IF I will be able to point my current Apollos and Moonlanders to that core. Anyone privy to if that would be supported OR would that core only be accessible by that one Apollo?

Huh
This would be great if possible to do. Then I can point my old Apollo’s to me new Apollo’s instead of swapping out the memory board
Activity: 62
Decisions decisions...

I'm looking at some Linux boxes to install a Litecoin core. My idea is to (network) connect my Apollos and Moonlanders to a single local core. I considered a VPN but it would introduce network latency which I don't want.

However - if Futurebit is promising the next Apollo version will support a Litecoin core I might forget the above and just use that - IF I will be able to point my current Apollos and Moonlanders to that core. Anyone privy to if that would be supported OR would that core only be accessible by that one Apollo?

Huh

Definitely not...the donation pool only mines on litecoinpool.org. If your solo mining you would get 100% of the solo block, nor would I ever take a solo block from someone even if the donation share fell on it. Sounds like an issue with zerg pool, but seems like he deleted the posted so I'm guessing it was resolved by them.

I deleted the post when I realized just because I have my settings to mc=LTC,m=solo, it does not really mean I am just solo mining. The pool seems to be a bit buggy as I still do some shared mining. Just lucky enough to be mining only LTC and enjoyed a 15% piece of a shared block. So I immediately ordered another Apollo Grin
legendary
It sounds like the mining power of my 2 Apollos will be reduced to effectively just one.

With all other variables unchanged, the only difference is that the block reward is half as large as it is before the halving.

There are a lot of things to consider, though. Halving causes a sort of scarcity, which generally results in an increased value, so the market should compensate with a higher price per coin. Whether or not the halving gets negated by price changes remains to be seen, but it's possible the "reward" (in USD for instance) is similar, or the same, after the halving as it is now.

Regardless, your chance of finding a block is entirely based on your hash rate vs network hash rate and difficulty, which is not *directly* affected by the halving, so saying that your given effectiveness now (your two Apollos) will be half as effective after is not at all accurate.

The above is correct. Dont forget that EVERYONE on the litecoin network gets their devices "halved". All Apollo users are in better shape than everyone else since they are currently still up there as the highest efficiency scrypt devices.

I would also not be surprised if a lot of L3 farms shutdown after the halving. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 25% difficulty drop shortly after halving.
legendary
I hit LTC block 1662207 mining solo today on Zerg but only got 3.9 LTC. while I am happy for the 3.9 LTC how do I investigate where the rest went? I asked on the ZERG forum too.

You must have had donation mode activated, and the rest went to jstefanop.

/s

It sounds like the mining power of my 2 Apollos will be reduced to effectively just one.

With all other variables unchanged, the only difference is that the block reward is half as large as it is before the halving.

There are a lot of things to consider, though. Halving causes a sort of scarcity, which generally results in an increased value, so the market should compensate with a higher price per coin. Whether or not the halving gets negated by price changes remains to be seen, but it's possible the "reward" (in USD for instance) is similar, or the same, after the halving as it is now.

Regardless, your chance of finding a block is entirely based on your hash rate vs network hash rate and difficulty, which is not *directly* affected by the halving, so saying that your given effectiveness now (your two Apollos) will be half as effective after is not at all accurate.
Activity: 62
Now I hear a Litecoin halfing will take place in less than 30 days. It sounds like the mining power of my 2 Apollos will be reduced to effectively just one. If I understand this event it means we'll have even a less chance of finding a block. I think if the price were to double the effective payout would remain the same although the amount of LTC mined would be 1/2.

Would like to get 2 more Apollos but my four would be just like having 2. Am I understanding this right?

https://www.litecoinblockhalf.com/
I hit LTC block 1662207 mining solo today on Zerg but only got 3.9 LTC. while I am happy for the 3.9 LTC how do I investigate where the rest went? I asked on the ZERG forum too.

You must have had donation mode activated, and the rest went to jstefanop.

/s
I Still cant figure out the IP address for my first Apollo... this one is plugged in - not going wireless seemed the easier way to test it out.  I downloaded a program and nothing stuck out as future bit or Apollo ... any tips would be great (I'm almost there!)

The answer is going to depend entirely on how your network is setup. Check these things in order.

1. Open a browser tab, and go to http://futurebit.local. Under some conditions (though, not many, unfortunately), this will take you to the device, automatically.

2. Do you have access to your router/switch that it is plugged into? Log in to the administration panel, and it should be listed among the assigned DHCP addresses. I don't remember the default hostname, but it should appear as "futurebit" or "apollo". Some routers don't show, or have trouble capturing hostnames, and will just show an asterisk "*".

3. Plug your computer or laptop into the same router/switch as the Apollo (with a cable). Determine the IP address that the router assigned to your computer. It's probably similar to "192.168.1.100" or "10.0.0.100" or "172.16.0.100". You can then trial-and-error the IP of the Apollo. Keep the first three numbers the same, and change the last number sequentially, trying each address in your browser until you find it. For example, if your router assigned your laptop/computer "192.168.1.100" you would try "http://192.168.1.99", then "http://192.168.1.98", ... and so on...
Pages:
Jump to: