Pages:
Author

Topic: Official FutureBit Apollo LTC Image and Support thread - page 62. (Read 49483 times)

legendary
Activity: 2061
Merit: 1388

Thermal cutoff is set at 84C.

Thanks. Is thermal cutoff software controlled?
So in theory, in future update, thermal cutoff can stop mining, spin the fans, and when temperature is back to normal, mining is resumed?
Or it's hardware based and unit just die and I need to power cycle it to make it work again?

No, thermal cutoffs are last line of defense, everything is shutdown if those are reached....that usually means something is wrong so its not a good idea to start it up again.

For example someone might have overvoltated/overclocked and set fan to 10% by mistake...or worse the fan fails or is not working properly....this will trigger a thermal cutoff eventually and you don't want to be stuck in a loop restarting, overheating and shutting down the miner every 10 min.

There is software hardware control, and in case the MCU fails there is a backup onboard cutoff which the regulator monitors to keep the thing from burning up.
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
Hi,

do you think guys this PSU enough to supply 2 Apollos in Turbo mode?
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Power/Plug-Type/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020178-NA

As far as I understood, 2 6-pin PCIE connectors are needed and should drawn around ≈ 250W

I would buy this  it is 5 bucks cheaper it is a 750 not a 650  and if you do the rebate  it is 25 dollars cheaper

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139233

or  upgrade to these

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139203

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139204

lastly I am in NJ I have multiple used psu's sitting in boxes that will work for you even cheaper
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
Okay dropped fan to 10%  rpm = 1575

temps are:

67.88c miner
 62.92c mcu

I have my fan set to auto

65.50 miner
61.53 mcu
it's running in a room that's 10c
Activity: 15
Hi,

do you think guys this PSU enough to supply 2 Apollos in Turbo mode?
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Power/Plug-Type/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020178-NA

As far as I understood, 2 6-pin PCIE connectors are needed and should drawn around ≈ 250W
Activity: 924
Merit: 175

Thanks. Is thermal cutoff software controlled?
So in theory, in future update, thermal cutoff can stop mining, spin the fans, and when temperature is back to normal, mining is resumed?
Or it's hardware based and unit just die and I need to power cycle it to make it work again?
legendary

Definitely agree with that. And for some reason it is better in Wattage, I don't have below 130W when Fan auto displaying 630 RPM:
- Fan auto ≈ 630-2040 RPM -> 130-133W ≈ 66°
- Fan 10% ≈ 1425 RPM -> 129W ≈ 56°

Same for me with fan at 15% i save 30W on 3 units and temp is between 35-40° (with outside temp at 2°)

Wow dude that's awesome!  Cheesy Grin I have mine running at 15% as well, temps 52-54° C, ambient is around 13° C

Yea its a trade off between "quietness" and "efficiency". The cooler an ASIC chip runs the more efficient it is due to thermal effects on the silicon/transistors.

For stock settings I chose being quiet over absolute efficiency, since most casual users running these on their desks wont care about an extra 10-20 watts.

Btw you don't have to really worry about "high" temps on these ASICS, they are rated for 90C continuous operation (this translates to about 80C pcb temp which is what is reported by the miner).  

What is thermal cut-out temperature? When my miner stopped this morning, it was really hot to touch, I bet fan was spinning at 5% or less for minutes and minutes without knowing it's too hot, it overheat and shut down. Unless there is different reason but I don't know what.

Definitely agree with that. And for some reason it is better in Wattage, I don't have below 130W when Fan auto displaying 630 RPM:

Same for me with fan at 15% i save 30W on 3 units and temp is between 35-40° (with outside temp at 2°)

Wow dude that's awesome!  Cheesy Grin I have mine running at 15% as well, temps 52-54° C, ambient is around 13° C

Yea its a trade off between "quietness" and "efficiency". The cooler an ASIC chip runs the more efficient it is due to thermal effects on the silicon/transistors.

For stock settings I chose being quiet over absolute efficiency, since most casual users running these on their desks wont care about an extra 10-20 watts.

Btw you don't have to really worry about "high" temps on these ASICS, they are rated for 90C continuous operation (this translates to about 80C pcb temp which is what is reported by the miner).  

What is thermal cut-out temperature? When my miner stopped this morning, it was really hot to touch, I bet fan was spinning at 5% or less for minutes and minutes without knowing it's too hot, it overheat and shut down. Unless there is different reason but I don't know what.
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
Okay dropped fan to 10%  rpm = 1575

temps are:

67.88c miner
 62.92c mcu
legendary

Wow dude that's awesome!  Cheesy Grin I have mine running at 15% as well, temps 52-54° C, ambient is around 13° C

Wow dude that's awesome!  Cheesy Grin I have mine running at 15% as well, temps 52-54° C, ambient is around 13° C
Activity: 181
Merit: 100

Activity: 6
Tried a be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 600W PSU but so far no luck getting the Apollo going.
Connected pins so it can start and PSU fan starts spinning. LAN-port leds turn on (orange, green) and the Apollo fan starts with a few spins but stops immediately, no front led light.
It will do this every time when PSU turns on so seems like some kind of protection from the PSU that shut its off. Maybe somebody has a better idea or experience?
With the Apollo attached and pins connected should normally be enough?
If nothing works I might just get one of the PSUs that seemed to work for others.

Do the LAN port LEDs flash a few times? If they come on and stay on that means its not booting from SD card (when it boots properly the LAN LEDs will flash a few times).

If they don't flash that means either your using an incompatible SD card, or something went wrong with your SD card image download/flash.

Ok, leds do stay on but don't blink. I'll try writing sd cards again without using dd. Tried both a 32 Gb and 64 Gb sandisk extreme plus, but both created in the same way with dd so makes sense to try different way or even using cheaper different card. Thanks, I'll report back.

Yea just use etcher it’s easy and gets the job done. You might be writing to a partition with dd and not the whole disk.

Yeah, used etcher and all working fine now, steady 100+ Mh/s, very nice!
You can extend it yourself, there is a script for it in /usr/lib/armbian/ directory.

run as root:
Code:
chmod +x armbian-resize-filesystem
./armbian-resize-filesystem start

Bear in mind that jstefanop will release it in "official" way soon, with one of the future updates. So if you don't want to risk anything, you can wait.
Anyway, I did it to mine two units and now I have all space allocated, works perfect.
Code:
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p1   15G  1.9G   13G  13% /

Yea thats the same type of SDXC UHS card as the 64 I tested, so I guess anything past 64 wont work. If anyone else has other 128GB or larger cards they can test let me know.

Either way 64 is more than enough when we release the full node/lightning update.

Hiya,

burnt a 64Gb SanDisk Extreme SD card with Apollo image.
Saw this information:
https://i.imgur.com/yTFxMeO.png

but doing a df gives:
https://i.imgur.com/d15PTjP.png

Any way file system runs out of space one day?
Will you extend it in future release, as mentioned above to run a full node?
Updates will need to burn another image on SD card?
One of my units experienced temperature cut-out I think.
It was hot to touch and not mining, miner offline and fan not spinning. This is a second time this happened. I power it off, after few minutes plugged back in, it started mining just fine. I am running Eco mode with Auto fan.

I really think we need to get Minimum fan speed option on Auto mode, so temperature is controlled in more stable way.

For now, I changed fans in both units to manual mode at 15%. It's still quiet and stable. Temperatures are 52-52 C instead of 70 C in Auto mode.

It could be silicon chip heat runway. Something observed with GekkoScience NewPac stick miners. More heat -> more current, because in hotter temperature chip uses more power to do same thing. More current = more heat and so on, if you don't apply more fan speed to blow it off at some point, you end up actually use more power to do same thing.
It was hot to touch and not mining, miner offline and fan not spinning. This is a second time this happened. I power it off, after few minutes plugged back in, it started mining just fine. I am running Eco mode with Auto fan.

I really think we need to get Minimum fan speed option on Auto mode, so temperature is controlled in more stable way.

For now, I changed fans in both units to manual mode at 15%. It's still quiet and stable. Temperatures are 52-52 C instead of 70 C in Auto mode.

For now, I changed fans in both units to manual mode at 15%. It's still quiet and stable. Temperatures are 52-53 C instead of 70 C in Auto mode.
legendary
Hello jstefanop, quick question:

I just had situation with one pool, where I was temp-banned because I generated lots of rejected shares (it was MiningRentals, rental order gave me wrong settings). My Apollo was disconnected, and it started mining on backup pool. But after some time, it did not returned to main pool, despite temp-ban being lifted and I could just mine there easily.

So, question is, At default settings, will bfgminer continuously try to reconnect to main pool? If not, how I can change that in bfgminer.conf?

That should be the default behavior. Could be something with the ban, since a new authorization would require a bfgminer restart.
Activity: 25
Merit: 1
When will we have a new bêta release ?

Please fix the wifi first !! ^^

Thanks for all jfstefanop Wink
Pages:
Jump to: