Pages:
Author

Topic: Official Thread: AMT - page 3. (Read 678322 times)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
April 13, 2014, 04:48:53 PM
This is pic of 1 of my boards that doesnt run. you can see the bent copper heat sinks and paste all over.

I don't understand the heat sink configuration here though?

Why are the heat-sinks on the A1 chips so small?

What is the bigger heat sink on the other side connected to?
Because 30 % of the heat can be disposed from one side of the chip
70% from the other
This seems to be done right
CONGRATS.  AMT Grin
This is useless of course as all my other posts right?
CPU and GPUs have their heat sinks on the side of the chip and there is a conduction path from chip thermal paste to heat sink.

I don't understand this kind of a configuration,  there is no conduction path from the chip through the board to the massive heat sinks.  

There is a thick copper "Ground Plane"  and the small holes are called "vias" the ASIC chips are designed to pass 80% of their heat (watt dissipation) thru the board to the large sink. CPU and GPU Dissipate thru the Tplate or Top Plate covering the silicon.
Those tiny copper H/S are failsafe, and do 20% of the work.

The Vias fill with solder when chips are mounted, completing the heat transfer part.
legendary
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!
April 13, 2014, 04:43:29 PM
One of the conversations I recall having with Josh in the parking lot of this office is that he was having trouble finding the right thermal paste to work, thus being aware that an issue was at-hand.

In the CPU space you can easily get failures if you don't put the right amount of thermal paste and have it securely attached using screws with springs.  For something that is supposed to run 24 hours 7 days a week, these tiny heat sinks that are secured just using thermal paste doesn't look like it'll work.

Every high end design like CPUs and GPUs have the heat sink attached from the top of the package and never via some conduction on the PCB as some other claim to work.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
April 13, 2014, 04:27:24 PM
This is pic of 1 of my boards that doesnt run. you can see the bent copper heat sinks and paste all over.

70% from the other
CONGRATS.  AMT Grin
CPU and GPUs have their heat sinks on the side of the chip and there is a conduction path from chip thermal paste to heat sink.

I don't understand this kind of a configuration,  there is no conduction path from the chip through the board to the massive heat sinks.  

yeah there is. bitfury chips are the same type of package. there are thermal vias going through the pcb that dissipate most of the heat out the back .

The design isn't ideal as there are multiple points of failure, especially those tiny heatsyncs on the bottom (shown in the picture) - it wouldn't take much time with a fan down, for those to get incredibly hot and burn up the chip.

How are the copper sinks mounted to the board? I dont see any clips or fasteners.

dude have you seen my pic of my only working board. it cooked itself to death using the fans supplied with miner. the heat sinks are stuck on with thermal paste
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
April 13, 2014, 04:11:58 PM
Hitting the IP address with my browser and I'm in. I've configured cgminer with a few addresses.

Next up, I will use a power supply and go one by one, blade by blade.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
April 13, 2014, 04:11:47 PM
I pried open the USB and got a keyboard to work.

Using the information posted on this thread.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6193870

I got the following.

See if this would help: (keyword: Yocto)

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5801001

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6120818
April 13, 2014, 03:53:57 PM
I pried open the USB and got a keyboard to work.

Using the information posted on this thread.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6193870

I got the following.

legendary
April 13, 2014, 03:44:06 PM
It would probably be wise for everyone that is upset with their damaged/non working miners - to go ahead and pack them up correctly and ship them back to AMT (at your expense). This way they can't fight giving you a refund.

Waiting for RMA parts from this circus known as AMT just doesn't seem worth it.

These miners have incompetence written all over them. Hard to believe anyone with technical skills would of been able to ship these out in this condition. QA my ass. Thermal paste, loose screws, missing cables, damaged boards and bent cases. Everything that could of possibly gone wrong, has - and now it's time for AMT to rectify this situation.

AMT you should be honoring refunds NOW. People have waited, and now they are FUCKED. Tell me how anyone WOULDN'T be eligible for a refund after you've mailed them busted hardware after months of delays?

Again folks do not sign on delivery just refuse. The chance to get your money if there is still any chance not in court is bigger
Ps
Thermal paste is not an issue assuming it is non conductive
But amt are full of surprises always Grin

This is true, the thermal paste doesn't conduct electricity - it being smeared everywhere wouldn't cause an issue, it's just sloppy manufacturing is all.

If they used a brand of thermal paste with silver in it, it might conduct VERY LITTLE electricity - not enough however to short something out. The silver stuff is usually more expensive, so I highly doubt AMT went with it.

One of the conversations I recall having with Josh in the parking lot of this office is that he was having trouble finding the right thermal paste to work, thus being aware that an issue was at-hand.
Activity: 1148
Merit: 252
April 13, 2014, 03:43:22 PM
It would probably be wise for everyone that is upset with their damaged/non working miners - to go ahead and pack them up correctly and ship them back to AMT (at your expense). This way they can't fight giving you a refund.

These miners have incompetence written all over them. Hard to believe anyone with technical skills would of been able to ship these out in this condition. QA my ass. Thermal paste, loose screws, missing cables, damaged boards and bent cases. Everything that could of possibly gone wrong, has - and now it's time for AMT to rectify this situation.

AMT you should be honoring refunds NOW. People have waited, and now they are FUCKED. Tell me how anyone WOULDN'T be eligible for a refund after you've mailed them busted hardware after months of delays?

I still believe these were intentionally packed poorly for insurance claims. These miners are probably riddled with heat/power issues, even when they aren't smashed in shipping. We just have to wait and see how long someone can run one of these at the full 1.2TH STABLE, without it burning out.

Speaking of CIRCUS, check out Joshua Zipkin's Amazon for Group Buying: http://www.thedealfair.com/

https://angel.co/the-deal-fair

The Deal Fair
Amazon for Group Buying
Philadelphia · E-Commerce · Social Commerce · Deals

"Prior to the deal fair, Joshua stole purses from little old ladies on the street".

I feel bad for everyone that tried to remain positive and see this through. Now they have been ultimately burned by this jackass.
April 13, 2014, 03:40:51 PM

70% from the other
CONGRATS.  AMT Grin

yeah there is. bitfury chips are the same type of package. there are thermal vias going through the pcb that dissipate most of the heat out the back .

The design isn't ideal as there are multiple points of failure, especially those tiny heatsyncs on the bottom (shown in the picture) - it wouldn't take much time with a fan down, for those to get incredibly hot and burn up the chip.

How are the copper sinks mounted to the board? I dont see any clips or fasteners.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022
Anarchy is not chaos.
April 13, 2014, 03:36:15 PM

70% from the other
CONGRATS.  AMT Grin

April 13, 2014, 03:34:14 PM
I will definatley be packaging mine back up and shipping it off back to amt with a letter requesting a full refund. And i will seek advice here in the uk at the office of fair trading to see if they can help with this matter.
April 13, 2014, 03:34:04 PM
OK. Plugged in the HDMI and at first it did not work but did a power cycle with the HDMI plugged in and success.

Now I have to pry open the damaged USB port and get a keyboard working.

April 13, 2014, 03:33:23 PM

Again folks do not sign on delivery just refuse. The chance to get your money if there is still any chance not in court is bigger
Ps

This is true, the thermal paste doesn't conduct electricity - it being smeared everywhere wouldn't cause an issue, it's just sloppy manufacturing is all.

If they used a brand of thermal paste with silver in it, it might conduct VERY LITTLE electricity - not enough however to short something out. The silver stuff is usually more expensive, so I highly doubt AMT went with it.
legendary
Activity: 1610
April 13, 2014, 03:22:50 PM

Ps
April 13, 2014, 03:19:51 PM

I still believe these were intentionally packed poorly for insurance claims. These miners are probably riddled with heat/power issues, even when they aren't smashed in shipping. We just have to wait and see how long someone can run one of these at the full 1.2TH STABLE, without it burning out.
legendary
Activity: 1610
April 13, 2014, 03:19:38 PM
Did you know that AMT had a Manny working in the office at one time?

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18560800&page=125

Got a reply and have asked for a guarantee re a refund prior to delivery and exactly when the point of no return is from their perspective!

Reply:

Sent: 02 January 2014 17:57
To: Me!
Subject: Re: 1.2 TH/s miners

Thank you for your inquiry.

We currently cannot accept CC payments on our larger miners, we are only accepting CC payments on the 80 gh and 120 gh miners.

We do not offer guarantees, the lead time on the 1.2 th/s miners are 6-8 weeks, and you can cancel your order anytime up to the delivery of the unit.

All the best, Manny

so what happens when a miner is finally delivered and its faulty like mine?
RNA in best case scenario unfortunately when it gets delivered you are fucked because amt formally made thir part of contract and by signing and getting the miner you formally have agreed to take the crap
I am not a lawyer though
April 13, 2014, 03:17:12 PM

Got a reply and have asked for a guarantee re a refund prior to delivery and exactly when the point of no return is from their perspective!

Reply:

We currently cannot accept CC payments on our larger miners, we are only accepting CC payments on the 80 gh and 120 gh miners.

We do not offer guarantees, the lead time on the 1.2 th/s miners are 6-8 weeks, and you can cancel your order anytime up to the delivery of the unit.

All the best, Manny

so what happens when a miner is finally delivered and its faulty like mine?
legendary
April 13, 2014, 03:12:19 PM

Reply:

All the best, Manny
April 13, 2014, 03:09:57 PM
plug a hdmi into it and then to a monitor. other wise you need to get the ip and type it in your web browser to get the amt control page.   username= admin  password= admin

I will try plugging it into a monitor.

As I've said, I tried the IP route.
April 13, 2014, 03:08:21 PM
Or the screws *were * there and are now rolling around in the packaging or delivery truck. Don't suppose the screws have star-washers so they can't shake loose do  they?

Found these under the flap at the bottom of the box.

Hopefully the blades banging each other during shipping didn't damage them too much.

They need to be using something like these machine screws w/star-washers that are part of them http://www.mcmaster.com/#95345a047/=riqrv4  also available with sheet metal threads.

Not true. Even with Star Washers, tightened case screws DON'T just pop out in transit.

This was either intentionally done (damaged on purpose to blame Fedex) or these weren't tightened at all and fell out due to vibration in transit.

Hard to believe.
Pages:
Jump to: