Pages:
Author

Topic: [OLD] Eligius: ASIC, no registration, no fee CPPSRB BTC + 105% PPS NMC, 877 # - page 8. (Read 458150 times)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0
Thats good ...but why my last payout from Eligius stays Immature Huh

Because you're paid directly from the mined coins (most secure, as pool doesn't get to touch your coins) and mined coins take 120 confirmations before they can be spent (immature).  This is normal.

I really like Eligius pool for going out of your way to make sure that everything is as straight as it gets. Smiley

Thanks!
legendary
Activity: 1223
Merit: 1006

Because you're paid directly from the mined coins (most secure, as pool doesn't get to touch your coins) and mined coins take 120 confirmations before they can be spent (immature).  This is normal.
Activity: 8
Eligius has hit 2000TH/s  Shocked

congratulations  Grin

Must be Reyhs' rigs.

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
So I took my NMC from when the pool was down and traded it, and have been playing around a bit on CoinEx - I doubled it buying and selling MOON. Thanks WK!

congratulations  Grin

Must be Reyhs' rigs.
Activity: 574
1.21 GIGA WATTS

congratulations  Grin
Activity: 1246
Merit: 501
Personally I am glad to have some heavy hitters in the pool.

This.  Plus the faster they mine, the quicker we find blocks, which means quicker payouts as Eligius pays out on the block.
Activity: 616
I got Satoshi's avatar!
I have a question about the pool contributors and I am not trying to be troll or stir up a shitstorm. There is one contributor that tops the chart and takes 20% of the earnings every round. Does this not hurt everyone else? Or is it helping everyone else? Would the pool be significantly hurt without them or would everyone's shares and payouts go up without them. It would seem logical that everyone would see a jump in earnings without them. Remember it's just a question not any accusation. Thanks

That's actually a good and genuine question. And Baddw gave a great answer.

they are paid 20% for 20% of the pool's hashrate. without them your income would be the same but with higher varience
i.e. having more power = shorter rounds = more consistent payouts.

I would think it could be a slight advantage to having them in there rather than not as they can handle most of the heavy work that others would take hours to slog through and with more shares being submitted per second it increases the chances of finding a block sooner.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
I have a question about the pool contributors and I am not trying to be troll or stir up a shitstorm. There is one contributor that tops the chart and takes 20% of the earnings every round. Does this not hurt everyone else? Or is it helping everyone else? Would the pool be significantly hurt without them or would everyone's shares and payouts go up without them. It would seem logical that everyone would see a jump in earnings without them. Remember it's just a question not any accusation. Thanks

they are paid 20% for 20% of the pool's hashrate. without them your income would be the same but with higher varience

legendary
Having more hash power reduces everyone's variance. So it is more beneficial to have them.
Activity: 351
Merit: 250
Activity: 700

They get 20% of the payouts, but they create 20% of the coins generated by the pool.  This is how pooling works: everybody contributes in the same proportion that they take away.  My rig might be 1/1000th of the power and I receive 1/1000th of the coins generated.  It's the same for everybody.  (EDIT: Although it can vary slightly, depending on the payout scheme.  The CPPSRB is the fairest scheme around, IMO, but still has a tiny amount of variance.)

If they left, theoretically we would all earn the same as we do now.  Personally I am glad to have some heavy hitters in the pool.
Activity: 351
Merit: 250

Activity: 24
Thanks WK for the hard work this last weekend and the explanation!
I got Satoshi's avatar!
[EDIT]
OK, so I had a read and a dejavu coz I'd read it a while ago and think I'm still correct in the assumption that an increase in pool luck could be responsible for a larger payout due to more shelved shares being released, but perhaps I'm incorrect in assuming that round time has anything to do with pool luck? I know it's not strictly PPS, but it should work out to almost PPS over a longer time period and an increase/decrease in pool luck would affect that daily payout sizes... no?
[/EDIT]

Round time is directly proportional to pool luck.  At the moment, based on pool size compared to the overall BTC network, expected round time is a little more than 1 hour.  If the round time is less than that, then Luck % is higher.  If it is more than that, then Luck % is lower.  See the blocks page for examples.  You can see that, e.g. the round ending with block #281888 took 1:06 and was 99.1% lucky (indicating slightly longer than expectation).  The round ending in block #281919 took 21:19 and was 306% lucky (indicating roughly 3x faster than expectation).

http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/blocks.php
Yes and that would also make it proportional to the number of shares per round because longer rounds have more shares submitted so there's lower likelihood of shelved shares being payed out and a higher likelihood of shares being shelved... so a bunch of short (lucky) rounds would result in fewer shares being shelved and more of the previously shelved shares to be paid out and that would create a spike in the payout that Slesh noticed... imho
Activity: 700
[EDIT]
OK, so I had a read and a dejavu coz I'd read it a while ago and think I'm still correct in the assumption that an increase in pool luck could be responsible for a larger payout due to more shelved shares being released, but perhaps I'm incorrect in assuming that round time has anything to do with pool luck? I know it's not strictly PPS, but it should work out to almost PPS over a longer time period and an increase/decrease in pool luck would affect that daily payout sizes... no?
[/EDIT]

Round time is directly proportional to pool luck.  At the moment, based on pool size compared to the overall BTC network, expected round time is a little more than 1 hour.  If the round time is less than that, then Luck % is higher.  If it is more than that, then Luck % is lower.  See the blocks page for examples.  You can see that, e.g. the round ending with block #281888 took 1h:06m and was 99.1% lucky (indicating slightly longer than expectation).  The round ending in block #281919 took 21m:19s and was 306% lucky (indicating roughly 3x faster than expectation).

http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/blocks.php
I got Satoshi's avatar!
Also, CPPSRB is *not* a straight PPS system.  Under a straight PPS system, you would get paid for every share regardless of whether the pool has found enough blocks to cover the costs of doing so.  Straight-PPS is a pool-takes-all-of-the-risk system.  CPPSRB is designed to be as close to Straight-PPS as possible, and lower miner reward variance as much as possible, but may or may not come out to the same earnings as straight PPS.  Long term averages put CPPSRB at paying out just under 99% PPS, with 0% fees, which is better than any other pool with a fee can say.  For some more details on CPPSRB, see the CPPSRB FAQ page.

CPPSRB is *not* proportional.  You do not just "get your percentage of the block reward."  It has been proven that proportional reward systems are exploitable/hopable.  CPPSRB is not.  If you are a constant miner who has been through some of Eligius's more unlucky periods, you may have enough shelved shares so that the estimated earnings work out to appear close to proportional, but this is just the system catching up your shelved shares.  Once they're caught up this won't be the case.  Again, for some more details on CPPSRB, see the CPPSRB FAQ page.

Hope this helps.

-wk

P.S. - Seems everyone has a hindsight horror story about the rise in BTC/USD..... don't we all Sad
Thanks for the clarification WK, I'll take a read through the FAQ now.

And thanks again for getting the stats back up, I can swear my hashrate stabilizes and increases slightly when I stare at the graph and refresh every 5 mins  Wink

[EDIT]
[/EDIT]
legendary
Round = block? right?

Not quite, my understanding is that a "round" is blocks found by Eligius pool.  So if we find 2 blocks in a row, the round will be short.  If we go several blocks without finding one, it will be a longer round.

E.g. at the moment, last block found by Eligius was #281910.  Current block on the network is #281917.  If we find block #281917 (actually, we just did), this "round" will be blocks #281911 - #281917.

In a basic PPS system, each share is worth a given BTC.  Since we expect 1,789,546,951 shares = 25 BTC, each share = 1.397*10^-8 BTC.  Every share that you put in is worth that much.  However, you can't always get paid on those, because the pool doesn't always find the blocks.  So your older shares get put on the "shelf" to get paid out when the pool is lucky.  I am not sure where the cutoff is to be put on the shelf vs. being included in the current round.  (I understand PPLNS better than I do CPPSRB, but I know that the Eligius system is pretty much the best / most consistent.)

I am also a newb, this is just my understanding, and I welcome any corrections.

This post came in as I was writing my previous.

This is mostly accurate.  The "cutoff point" for what gets shelved and what doesn't is a matter of how far back into the CPPSRB share log can be paid 100% PPS.  If it takes us less than the network-difficulty number of shares to find a block (> 100% luck), then every share submitted since the last block found will be paid, plus some shares that were "shelved" in previous rounds.  If the block takes us more than the network-difficulty number of shares to find (luck < 100%) then the most recently submitted 25 BTC worth of shares are paid 100% PPS (generally the latest network-difficulty number of shares), and the rest remain in the share log "shelved."

This results in much lower variance for the miner because no share is ever forgotten by CPPSRB, where with other systems such as PPLNS, shares in unlucky times are simply underpaid or lost entirely.

-wk
legendary
Catching up on the thread here...

KnC miners can still use stratum.mining.eligius.st:12234 - I have not verified that this helps with newer firmwares over the main server, though.

As for NMC, there are no stats for it currently.  NMC payouts happen roughly daily.  I have plans to make some stats for NMC, but that particular item on the TODO list is not a high priority.  Also, Eligius is able to pay 105% NMC because a) not all users choose to merge mine NMC and NMC earnings for users without an NMC address setup are not tracked, and b) this has built up a buffer of namecoin that is unlikely to be depleted even by paying out 105% NMC PPS.

Increasing the minimum work difficulty to 8 will have no effect whatsoever on anyone mining at ~8Gh or above.  For people with less hash rate than this, it will result in slightly higher variance on the pool stats pages, but that is it.  Earnings are unaffected.

Also, CPPSRB is *not* a straight PPS system.  Under a straight PPS system, you would get paid for every share regardless of whether the pool has found enough blocks to cover the costs of doing so.  Straight-PPS is a pool-takes-all-of-the-risk system.  CPPSRB is designed to be as close to Straight-PPS as possible, and lower miner reward variance as much as possible, but may or may not come out to the same earnings as straight PPS.  Long term averages put CPPSRB at paying out just under 99% PPS, with 0% fees, which is better than any other pool with a fee can say.  For some more details on CPPSRB, see the CPPSRB FAQ page.

CPPSRB is *not* proportional.  You do not just "get your percentage of the block reward."  It has been proven that proportional reward systems are exploitable/hopable.  CPPSRB is not.  If you are a constant miner who has been through some of Eligius's more unlucky periods, you may have enough shelved shares so that the estimated earnings work out to appear close to proportional, but this is just the system catching up your shelved shares.  Once they're caught up this won't be the case.  Again, for some more details on CPPSRB, see the CPPSRB FAQ page.

Hope this helps.

-wk

P.S. - Seems everyone has a hindsight horror story about the rise in BTC/USD..... don't we all Sad
Pages:
Jump to: