Pages:
Author

Topic: [OLD] Eligius: ASIC, no registration, no fee CPPSRB BTC + 105% PPS NMC, 877 # - page 81. (Read 458255 times)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500
Weird, the site just asks for a password when you hit it now. I guess it is under maintenance presently?
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
wizkid057 did announce he'd be doing upgrades to it today...
Activity: 142
Merit: 100
Hive/Ethereum
I went to give this pool a try and all I get is pages cannot be displays and convoluted URL's that look like someone set this up off one of their folders off their shared hosting package. Last error just received:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~gateway/miners/cgminer on this server.

Apache/2.2.16 (Debian) Server at eligius.st Port 80

Even the main/default URL is down. Is there is maintenance going on, than that's what should be displayed on ANY of the domain pages. Information is key here. Back to old my pool. I can't afford a pool's backend not working properly. Good luck.

Website != "backend"

In any case, the former is back online
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Personal text my ass....
I went to give this pool a try and all I get is pages cannot be displays and convoluted URL's that look like someone set this up off one of their folders off their shared hosting package. Last error just received:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~gateway/miners/cgminer on this server.

Apache/2.2.16 (Debian) Server at eligius.st Port 80

Even the main/default URL is down. Is there is maintenance going on, than that's what should be displayed on ANY of the domain pages. Information is key here. Back to old my pool. I can't afford a pool's backend not working properly. Good luck.

Activity: 602
Merit: 501
Why do I get signature fails when I try to put in Namecoin address for merged mining?

Because your signature is wrong? Check if there aren't any whitespaces at the beginning or at the end of your address. Sometimes copy/paste doesn't work that well
Activity: 360
Merit: 250
Can anyone please explain the namecoin payout method on eligius?

I'm mining there with ~500GH for the last 3 days.
I've setup a namecoin address on my account, but can't see any namecoins in my stats, nor receive namecoin payments. 
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
Drunk Posts
Please don't mistake my posts as complaining, I'm only posting to notify people of the issue. No rush about stats being down as long as the pools still working Grin
Activity: 552
Donations to WizKid057 stats development is 1StatsgBq3C8PbF1SJw487MEUHhZahyvR , this guy has been working around the clock to fix and optimize things, me and others have also provided some thoughts on optimizations, which well as he states he also has a full time job.

You can look at the code here https://github.com/wizkid057/wizstats if your a php developer of a sql db guru any suggestions are appreciated, one person can not do this all the time, so if you cant donate, maybe donate your time if your good at php, sql, memcache, etc.. cheers..

and as always come to the irc channel #eligius if you have any questions or want to help out.
Activity: 256
On a side note, I think people need to realize that I work on this pool constantly, for many hours per week, FOR FREE.

I don't get paid for this, yet I still try to keep everything going for you guys. I have a full-time job with a 90-120 minute daily commute, and occasionally I sleep.

He's got a girlfriend too... I think that the Eligius miners is a real tough crowd. They've found the best pool out there by far, and might have found Eligius in a search for no fees, sharing the tx profits, and an honest pool that finds frequent blocks (P2Pool variance sucks).
They're not asking for anything, kick 'em a little something if you haven't already... Most (if not all) of us are in the red, and they work harder than you.

Luke-Jr is not getting anything either, and he's a HUGE player in the mining world... Hell, he has pretty much founded, nurtured, and gave us GBT... ASIC mining is now possible because of Luke-Jr's awesome BFG Miner contributions. When the next big mining set of hardware comes out, you'll be expecting some awesome free tool to hook into a free pool that gives you everything... You can at least give back to these guys.

Even if each person that uses the pool/tool/stats just gave a one time donation of 0.01 to wiz and Luke-Jr ... It add's up and would at least show some kind of appreciation.
legendary
Activity: 1063
Merit: 1048
Hey, I have more hashing power on the table now (about 65GH/s total) my difficulty keeps jumping around now from 16 to 32 at one point it was 4 for a long time but my hash rate is fairly consistent. Is this expected and if not let me know what your thoughts are.

Yeah, mine jumps around a lot too.  Maybe there should be a little more hysteresis added to the formula for switching difficulties?

I asked awhile back how the pool determines a miners difficulty, below is wizkid057's response. I just didn't expect it to jump around so much. Now that I know it's not just me I'm sure it's expected.

The pool targets 32 shares per minute.  So, sticking with that...

(hashrate_in_hashes_per_second/4294967296)*60 = difficulty_1_shares_per_minute

Difficulty 2 would be triggered at 64 shares/min, Diff 4 @ 128, Diff 8 @ 256, etc.

So for you,

(10,000,000,000/4294967296)*60 = ~140 difficulty 1 shares/min

Then divide by 32 to get difficulty ~4.36 for 32 shares/min.  Round down to the nearest power of two >= 1, and you get difficulty 4.

Yeah, I expected a calculation like that.  Since the hashrate seen by the pool varies, though, you can find yourself straddling a 'border', so to speak, so you keep switching back and forth between two difficulties.

For example, if you are hashing pretty close to exactly 512 shares per minute, you will probably find yourself switching between diff 16 and diff 8 if your shares-per-minute varies from say 495 to 530 spm.

This could be changed such that you need to get to 512 spm to get diff 16, but after that you won't switch back to diff 8 unless you go below some threshold, say 480 spm.

That way you don't oscillate back and forth.  This is done in lots of devices you are familiar with, like thermostats, for example.  If your furnace was set to keep the temperature at exactly 70 degrees, it would just turn on and off constantly when the temperature gets to 70 degrees.  Hysteresis prevents this.
Activity: 714
Coin Generator
Why do I get signature fails when I try to put in Namecoin address for merged mining?
Activity: 476
Hey, I have more hashing power on the table now (about 65GH/s total) my difficulty keeps jumping around now from 16 to 32 at one point it was 4 for a long time but my hash rate is fairly consistent. Is this expected and if not let me know what your thoughts are.

Yeah, mine jumps around a lot too.  Maybe there should be a little more hysteresis added to the formula for switching difficulties?

I asked awhile back how the pool determines a miners difficulty, below is wizkid057's response. I just didn't expect it to jump around so much. Now that I know it's not just me I'm sure it's expected.

The pool targets 32 shares per minute.  So, sticking with that...

(hashrate_in_hashes_per_second/4294967296)*60 = difficulty_1_shares_per_minute

Difficulty 2 would be triggered at 64 shares/min, Diff 4 @ 128, Diff 8 @ 256, etc.

So for you,

(10,000,000,000/4294967296)*60 = ~140 difficulty 1 shares/min

Then divide by 32 to get difficulty ~4.36 for 32 shares/min.  Round down to the nearest power of two >= 1, and you get difficulty 4.

legendary
Activity: 1063
Merit: 1048

Yeah, mine jumps around a lot too.  Maybe there should be a little more hysteresis added to the formula for switching difficulties?
Activity: 476
Quick question, out of pool hosting, stats dev and pool management, which would you prefer donations to?

That I would like to know as well.

Activity: 742
wizkid,

just want to say that, as you may have noticed, that there are a lot of newcomers like me that really enjoy the pool, that find the stats page awesome and that are largely silent. I really appreciate the effort and I'm sure others do too! Would love to donate some to lighten a tiny bit the burden but way too deep in the red right now... maybe when orange (green is impossible in mining now-a-days).  Embarrassed

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1029
Quick question, out of pool hosting, stats dev and pool management, which would you prefer donations to?

edit: eligius gonna overtake ghash.io soon:D
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1029
P.S. -

On a side note, I think people need to realize that I work on this pool constantly, for many hours per week, FOR FREE.  Heck, at a loss actually.  (I've been paying out of pocket for several Eligius hosting related items, and no, donations don't cover an appreciable percentage.)

I don't get paid for this, yet I still try to keep everything going for you guys. I have a full-time job with a 90-120 minute daily commute, and occasionally I sleep.

I do my best to respond to all of my "something isn't right with the pool" alerts, but I can't always drop everything and do so immediately.

Again, Eligius is designed so that no one ever loses out as long as the pool is accepting shares.  The stats can always be caught up, share log rebuilt, and payouts done to catch up from any stats or reward system failure/failsafe.

I just ask that you folks please cut me a break when it comes to the stats pausing while I'm sleeping or at work or whatever.  The pool is still working when stats are screwed up, and all will update as soon as I get to it.

Some kind folks have donated specifically to help improve the stats server and such so that these problems won't keep happening, and I appreciate that.  100%+ of donations have been going to server improvements.

And I'm late for work because I'm here fixing Eligius and ranting about being under appreciated....

-wk

Dude, we LOVE you, seriously. Your work is appreciated Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1223
Merit: 1006
P.S. -

On a side note, I think people need to realize that I work on this pool constantly, for many hours per week, FOR FREE.  Heck, at a loss actually.  (I've been paying out of pocket for several Eligius hosting related items, and no, donations don't cover an appreciable percentage.)

I do my best to respond to all of my "something isn't right with the pool" alerts, but I can't always drop everything and do so immediately.

Again, Eligius is designed so that no one ever loses out as long as the pool is accepting shares.  The stats can always be caught up, share log rebuilt, and payouts done to catch up from any stats or reward system failure/failsafe.

I just ask that you folks please cut me a break when it comes to the stats pausing while I'm sleeping or at work or whatever.  The pool is still working when stats are screwed up, and all will update as soon as I get to it.

Some kind folks have donated specifically to help improve the stats server and such so that these problems won't keep happening, and I appreciate that.  100%+ of donations have been going to server improvements.

And I'm late for work because I'm here fixing Eligius and ranting about being under appreciated....

-wk
legendary
Activity: 1223
Merit: 1006
Well, some folks donated to help beef up the servers.  I have that in the works for tonight.

The stats freeze is due to a database-lag failsafe.

I put a patch in for it to be more lenient for the moment.

The failsafe is in place to prevent the double payout issue that happened a couple of months ago.  Its much better to have this in place than to risk a database slowdown causing issues.

Stats/auto-payouts should be back to normal within the hour.

-wk
Activity: 281
Looks like the payout queue and Unpaid Balance has dropped dead again  Cry
Pages:
Jump to: