Pages:
Author

Topic: OVERVIEW: BITCOIN HARDWARE WALLETS █████████████████ Secure your Coins - page 30. (Read 122206 times)

Activity: 644
Merit: 500
My goal is becaming a billionaire.
Damn, when I saw this thread bumping , I thought they most of those Hardware wallets which are under developement are finished .
Both wallets that I want to buy badly Mycelium Bitcoin card & CryptoLabs "Case" didn't finish from the develpement , wondering how much it would take more , anyone have any ideas please ?

~ Madness.
Activity: 623
CTO, Ledger
And whats wrong with ledger exactly? I dont leave it lying around or take it out in public even. I use all the precautions I use for my trusted home computer. I just consider it 2fauth for my wallet. pretty much what it is, isn't it?

it's more than 2fa as it allows you to check what is signed and actually does the signature

Quote from: gogxmagog
they dont get enough press, since "search" is disabled here, I have trouble finding their threads.

we're pretty active IRL, through conferences, partnerships, and so on

can someone tell me a "worst case scenario" "what could possibly go wrong?" sort of critique of their product? I've heard very confusing technical explanations as to why there are vulnerabilities with it, but can someone ELI5?

worst case scenario today is some specifically designed malware that would sniff enough data of the security card to be able to rebuild it after several transactions are done, and bypass this security. This issue will be closed by the new second factor method used in the upcoming firmware, using your smartphone as a secure screen and making the full transaction experience smoother, or if you don't have a smartphone or don't wish to use it, by being able to print multiple security cards.

security is important to me, should I be worried about my BTC in my ledger?

no concerns so far.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010
Ad maiora!
And whats wrong with ledger exactly? I dont leave it lying around or take it out in public even. I use all the precautions I use for my trusted home computer. I just consider it 2fauth for my wallet. pretty much what it is, isn't it?

they dont get enough press, since "search" is disabled here, I have trouble finding their threads.

can someone tell me a "worst case scenario" "what could possibly go wrong?" sort of critique of their product? I've heard very confusing technical explanations as to why there are vulnerabilities with it, but can someone ELI5?

security is important to me, should I be worried about my BTC in my ledger?
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002
I use a ledger, but looked at trezor first. Tbh I chose ledger because price, both seemed to be very secure.
Today on reddit I am seeing trezor running into some problems. They put their software on github; open source, and now some manufacturers in Asia are creating very cheap knock offs. Trezor wants to change their license now.
Boy am I glad I chose ledger. The very fact that trezor put their stuff out there as open source then turns around and complains that someone else is using it, this alone ruins any good will I might have had. If they didn't expect this to happen, what else are they not expecting?

its actually getting pretty nasty over reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2u1wea/trezor_code_no_longer_lgplv3_but_now_more/

Quote from: muchakka
First, my point is they tried to do it retro active by removing their newest code changes and added a license change to a previous tagged version. Looks a little shady.
Second, this is a bait an switch. I bought my Trezor under the impression I could modify the firmware and then run my modified version on my device. That is no longer the case under new license.

RIP Trezor
legendary
Ad maiora!
I use a ledger, but looked at trezor first. Tbh I chose ledger because price, both seemed to be very secure.
Today on reddit I am seeing trezor running into some problems. They put their software on github; open source, and now some manufacturers in Asia are creating very cheap knock offs. Trezor wants to change their license now.
Boy am I glad I chose ledger. The very fact that trezor put their stuff out there as open source then turns around and complains that someone else is using it, this alone ruins any good will I might have had. If they didn't expect this to happen, what else are they not expecting?
tss
Activity: 742
some great hardware there.  developers working hard but i think it may be a bit early for so many devices.  i guess theyre all banking on the bit rich to buy them up just as a novelty/to play with.  im sure most seasoned users just use regular plain paper wallets and bury them in their backyards.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

I am not an engineer, so I can only comment on my experiences with Trezor and Ledger.

I like them both!  On both I have done multiple transactions.  Set-up was easy enough.  I can recommend highly both of them.

The Ledger Wallet Nano is a bargain.  Should there be no bad reports in the coming months, the low price means I might favor the Ledger over the Trezor.  Both are cool though.
Activity: 360
Merit: 250
CEO, Ledger
Slides for Bitcoin hardware wallets security presentation by Ledger at London Bitcoin expo 2015
http://fr.slideshare.net/EricLarcheveque/bitcoin-hardware-wallets-security

A deep dive into Bitcoin hardware wallets security. Illustrating weaknesses of hardware wallets based on regular (not secure) microcontrollers.

Also, a recommended read about why smart card matters in Bitcoin security:
https://medium.com/@Ledger/bitcoin-security-why-smart-cards-matter-6ca0128562b2
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011
In Satoshi I Trust
Improvement proposals? Infos?  Smiley

Perhaps it makes sense to add in the review this one promising project ?

i will add this, thanks for that info.

edit: i wrote an email to the author of that wallet. when i get a response, i can add the device.

edit: i would love to add that device but it will not go in production anytime soon.  Undecided
Activity: 223
Merit: 100
All the unreleased wallets look great imo. Even if only some of them came to the market I would definitely be inclined to purchase one.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1021
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker [F.N.]
Improvement proposals? Infos?  Smiley

Perhaps it makes sense to add in the review this one promising project ?
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011
In Satoshi I Trust
Okay so after going over it, I think I am going to do a dual solution.

1. HW-1 for my active spending wallet
2. Trezor for a higher amount of storage wallet that I still want accessible
3. Paper wallet for savings so i can't get into it without withdrawing it all.

I will need a safer method for mobile spending so I will wait for case or the other card style wallet to come out. In the mean time I guess I will just scan my android before transferring a pocket amount.

its always good to have more than one place to store your BTC
Activity: 475
Merit: 250
I set up my ledger wallet, took not long, the longest part was writing down the 24 word recovery phrase. it works great. I have the deposit address saved on my multibit hot wallet, I can send money striaght to my ledger without even plugging in! I like this wallet!

After 2 years on this forum, I hope you are aware that you can send funds to any address without the corresponding wallet being "plugged in".
legendary
Ad maiora!
I set up my ledger wallet, took not long, the longest part was writing down the 24 word recovery phrase. it works great. I have the deposit address saved on my multibit hot wallet, I can send money striaght to my ledger without even plugging in! I like this wallet!
Activity: 623
CTO, Ledger
i am talking of if the ledgerwallet site goes down.

you can recover using the link posted above (not using the physical wallet), or fork the client to directly hit your favorite block explorer and still use the physical Ledger Wallet, or use a compatible wallet such as Electrum 2.0 and also still use the physical device
Activity: 960
Merit: 502
i have seen people saying both that Ledger is open and closed source. so if ti is closed what do i do with my coins, if Ledger nolonger exist in 5years and i want my coins from my wallet?

It is open source. You can restore even if you lost your ledger anytime. See https://ledger.groovehq.com/knowledge_base/topics/how-to-restore-my-backup-without-a-ledger-wallet .

P.S. Ledger's and BTChip's repo : https://github.com/LedgerHQ

~~MZ~~

i am talking of if the ledgerwallet site goes down.
Activity: 560
Merit: 506
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
i have seen people saying both that Ledger is open and closed source. so if ti is closed what do i do with my coins, if Ledger nolonger exist in 5years and i want my coins from my wallet?

It is open source. You can restore even if you lost your ledger anytime. See https://ledger.groovehq.com/knowledge_base/topics/how-to-restore-my-backup-without-a-ledger-wallet .

P.S. Ledger's and BTChip's repo : https://github.com/LedgerHQ

~~MZ~~
Activity: 960
Merit: 502
Activity: 58
Merit: 0
updated.

Thanks mate.
Our price is at 99 USD.

We will start taking orders around the end of Jan to Feb.

We will release beta test videos and reviews by Bitcoin community/ media in Feb.

Pages:
Jump to: