Pages:
Author

Topic: [Payout Updates] Bitcoinica site is taken offline for security investigation - page 54. (Read 156693 times)

Activity: 661
Merit: 500
That was a response to the claim. (and no, idiots I didn't make a claim to this crew over /email/ All I did was respond "Gox USD plx kthxbai"

It had the Claim ID in it  It was foolishly not GPG signed.

You don't seriously think I would believe ANYTHING that came from bitcoinica.com, do you? That domain has been compromised. I wouldn't have responded if it HAD come from bitcoinica.com. TBH, I would chucked it if it came from hushmail.com - but somehow, riseup didn't raise my hackles.

Phantomcircuit contacted me on IRC immediately after I announced there I'd received this email - that lent serious credibility to the email. I did not ask him if it was legit.

neofutur also has received on of these same emails. He posted in #bitcoinica his email receipt was not questioned there.

The emails do appear to be legit.

EDIT: just so I don't cause confusion: I have received the email, but have not received any actual funds. While I don't actually expect them for a few days, I will belay any real optimism or celebration until that time, should it occur.

I will post here when I do receive the funds.

Sorry, dumb question, but how do you get this IRC thing you guys are always talking about?  I am way out of the loop on this.  Is there like an official bitcoin / bitcoinica chat room or something?

Thanks,
vip
Activity: 490
Merit: 502
That was a response to the claim. (and no, idiots I didn't make a claim to this crew over /email/ All I did was respond "Gox USD plx kthxbai"

It had the Claim ID in it  It was foolishly not GPG signed.

You don't seriously think I would believe ANYTHING that came from bitcoinica.com, do you? That domain has been compromised. I wouldn't have responded if it HAD come from bitcoinica.com. TBH, I would chucked it if it came from hushmail.com - but somehow, riseup didn't raise my hackles.

Phantomcircuit contacted me on IRC immediately after I announced there I'd received this email - that lent serious credibility to the email. I did not ask him if it was legit.

neofutur also has received on of these same emails. He posted in #bitcoinica his email receipt was not questioned there.

EDIT: just so I don't cause confusion: I have received the email, but have not received any actual funds. While I don't actually expect them for a few days, I will belay any real optimism or celebration until that time, should it occur.

The domain was not compromised. The hacker directed the domain to other site because he changed the load balancer settings to act as a reverse proxy. The domain name itself was safe.

The DNSSEC errors were because our previous registrar GoDaddy supported DNSSEC and we didn't disable it before transferring to another registrar that doesn't support DNSSEC. So some users from certain ISPs may have difficulties accessing the site.
Activity: 532

It had the Claim ID in it  It was foolishly not GPG signed.

Activity: 568
Nor for me. As disorganized as this process seems to be, I can't imagine they would be giving claims status from anything other than an official Bitcoinica email account.

Suggest you don't send your claim ID...
Activity: 60
Merit: 10
Looks good. I only google genjix and all I got was some wiki results, "email protected" and bitcoinmedia which I can imagine someone could fake easily (for example sending them email with faked message and hope they'll publish it, modifying wiki and so on).

Sorry for that. It seems we have payouts then. Unfortunately, no payouts for me.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 204.13.164.18 as permitted sender) client-ip=204.13.164.18;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 204.13.164.18 as permitted sender) [email protected]
Received: from fulvetta.riseup.net (fulvetta-pn.riseup.net [10.0.1.75])
   (using TLSv1 with cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits))
   (Client CN "*.riseup.net", Issuer "Gandi Standard SSL CA" (verified OK))
   by mx1.riseup.net (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 86AE05397D
   for [email protected]>; Sun, 10 Jun 2012 16:23:52 -0700 (PDT)

Yeah, and what is the riseup.net domain? It does not belong to genjix, nor to bitcoinica, ZT or someone I know of. It seems to be some generic webmail. Sorry to be suspitious, but I'd expect official communication to be at least from well known address and gpg signed.

Maybe somebody can confirm that it's genjix' email.

[ignore this if the email above is fake]If it is true and payouts are really starting, there should be announcement on the bitcoinica.com saying "first 10% of claims has been verified and asked for payment methods. Payments will be processed tomorrow" or stuff. Do you know how this one cheap sentense (with a few trusted people sayit it's true and their accounts are the ones that are paid) would have helped your reputation?[/ignore this if the email above is fake]
genjix and been associated with that domain before. the mail i got, also included my claim id, which is hopefully only known to bitcoinica and me.

email is highly likely to be real
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
Activity: 60
Merit: 10
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 204.13.164.18 as permitted sender) client-ip=204.13.164.18;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 204.13.164.18 as permitted sender) [email protected]

Yeah, and what is the riseup.net domain? It does not belong to genjix, nor to bitcoinica, ZT or someone I know of. It seems to be some generic webmail. Sorry to be suspitious, but I'd expect official communication to be at least from well known address and gpg signed.

Maybe somebody can confirm that it's genjix' email.

[ignore this if the email above is fake]If it is true and payouts are really starting, there should be announcement on the bitcoinica.com saying "first 10% of claims has been verified and asked for payment methods. Payments will be processed tomorrow" or stuff. Do you know how this one cheap sentense (with a few trusted people sayit it's true and their accounts are the ones that are paid) would have helped your reputation?[/ignore this if the email above is fake]
Activity: 607
Not for me, unfortunately Sad

(I have had an account there from day one, and supplied exact amounts of my balance/positions).
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!
YES! the payouts has begun!
But, then I don't really expect most people to understand that to diametrically opposing statements cannot simultaneously be true.

I'm sure most everybody understands that.  But what should be just as obvious is that two people can make two contradictory claims and neither one be lying.  It could be the case that both are merely mistaken.

In some of the conflicting statements, you'd sure hope no one is mistaken. TBH, I would think that worse than lying.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
But, then I don't really expect most people to understand that to diametrically opposing statements cannot simultaneously be true.

I'm sure most everybody understands that.  But what should be just as obvious is that two people can make two contradictory claims and neither one be lying.  It could be the case that both are merely mistaken.
I have received an email from genjix

We have verified the initial round of Bitcoinica customers and you have
been deemed eligible for the payout as specified in your claim

Would you mind pasting the headers? I am curious if someone is just fucking with you (completely possible).

Delivered-To: ME [email protected]
Received: by 10.112.41.8 with SMTP id b8csp35420lbl;
        Sun, 10 Jun 2012 16:23:53 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.68.218.7 with SMTP id pc7mr17177451pbc.88.1339370633321;
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from mx1.riseup.net (mx1.riseup.net. [204.13.164.18])
        by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id sp1si7920571pbc.230.2012.06.10.16.23.52
        (version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=OTHER);
Received: from [127.0.0.1] (localhost [127.0.0.1])
   (Authenticated sender: [email protected])
   with ESMTPSA id 19EB819F
Received: from localhost (127.0.0.1)
        (SquirrelMail authenticated user genjix)
        by fulvetta.riseup.net with HTTP;
        Sun, 10 Jun 2012 16:23:52 -0700
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 16:23:52 -0700
Subject: guruvan - SOME MONEY USD
To: ME YO @guruvan.net
User-Agent: SquirrelMail/1.4.21
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Importance: Normal
X-Virus-Scanned: clamav-milter 0.97.3 at mx1
X-Virus-Status: Clean

Hello,

been deemed eligible for the payout as specified in your claim:
Probably? Sorry, none of these guys' words are good enough. Not a one of them has shown that they can tell the truth 100% without fail. So, no "probably" isn't good enough. If there was a single example of one bitcoinica employee/owner/partner/consultant or Whatever, that had told us the FULL truth when first asked then maybe if would be the case that we should (or rather, could) believe them. But, despite repeated questioning, we still don't have the truth on most of the issues.

Proof is what's in order - and really - what is in order is Bitcoinica, LP, putting the funds in a trust that earns interest FOR THE CUSTOMERS instead of hiding it where it earns interest for bitcoinica.

A bunch of unverifiable statements just aren't helping the case here. Looks really scammy guys. More so with each and every day.

Guruvan can you please be a bit more careful with your assumptions and responses?

Almost every post from you shows you drawing wildly and far fetched conclusions and then getting angry based on you own conclusions, not the facts. Please learn to distinguish what is your impression from what has been actually stated!

Without doubt, this situation is annoying and bears a lot of uncertainties. We had quite some badly lacking official communication. But I am not aware of anyone lying to us. There was only partial disclosure (which is a common business practice), but any of the details provided later on did fit into the partial image available beforehand. Please go back an read the official statements on this forum. And read them carefully and try to distinguish from your "impression". Even Zhoutong always indicated what he "thought" should be done or what he "proposed" and on the other hand there are some facts he really knew, and he indicated so, and other people like genjix confirmed those.

The situation is uncomfortable for any of us, but by steering emotions we just help the dishonest and unfair people present in this thread, just waiting for their chance to seed fear, uncertainty and doubt.

-- Ichthyo

PS: if anyone wants to take legal action, please behave like real business people, talk to you lawyer, draw your conclusions on other business partners for yourself, privately, but stop creating noise and hot air here on the forum publicly.

No one from that company has really been 100% forthright, and yet you're still bitching at me about saying they're lying while I simply state the fact that when asked, the principals at bitcoinica refused to answer who is the General Partner  - Frankly, I think that's seriously dishonest, and at best completely disingenuous. But, you can think what ever the hell you want - I'm personally sick of having smoke blown up my ass from one side of the other  (and all the sides of bitcoinica represented in this thread CAN'T be telling the truth, because they don't fucking agree!)

Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

Would you mind pasting the headers? I am curious if someone is just fucking with you (completely possible).

I was requested to reply with my preference for repayment (GOX-USD or Bitcoin) - and offered other (possible) repayment options if those would not work for me.

I requested GOX-USD. I stated that I would like to know whether the repayment would be 100% of the balance, or not, and the closing price of my open position.

I did not provide ID verification, but as posted earlier in this thread, I did post my OTC key on my personal website, and on my 2 google profiles, all of which confirm my "ownership" of this nickname, also used on my bitcoinica account. My google profiles lead to my real identity, which is not in any way secret. My website domain is the same as my nickname. (srsly a passport would be redundant)

However, I have not as yet received response or payment (nor do I really expect one for a few days)

For the moment, I will shut up and await further word from the team. I look forward to that, and then I will look forward to a complete and full explanation of the entire situation once all legal/financial obstacles have been cleared.

It would be good to finally understand why this has gone so horribly wrong, so that the proper reputations may be restored (and vice versa if appropriate)

legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
Probably? Sorry, none of these guys' words are good enough. Not a one of them has shown that they can tell the truth 100% without fail. So, no "probably" isn't good enough. If there was a single example of one bitcoinica employee/owner/partner/consultant or Whatever, that had told us the FULL truth when first asked then maybe if would be the case that we should (or rather, could) believe them. But, despite repeated questioning, we still don't have the truth on most of the issues.

Proof is what's in order - and really - what is in order is Bitcoinica, LP, putting the funds in a trust that earns interest FOR THE CUSTOMERS instead of hiding it where it earns interest for bitcoinica.

A bunch of unverifiable statements just aren't helping the case here. Looks really scammy guys. More so with each and every day.

Guruvan can you please be a bit more careful with your assumptions and responses?

Almost every post from you shows you drawing wildly and far fetched conclusions and then getting angry based on you own conclusions, not the facts. Please learn to distinguish what is your impression from what has been actually stated!

Without doubt, this situation is annoying and bears a lot of uncertainties. We had quite some badly lacking official communication. But I am not aware of anyone lying to us. There was only partial disclosure (which is a common business practice), but any of the details provided later on did fit into the partial image available beforehand. Please go back an read the official statements on this forum. And read them carefully and try to distinguish from your "impression". Even Zhoutong always indicated what he "thought" should be done or what he "proposed" and on the other hand there are some facts he really knew, and he indicated so, and other people like genjix confirmed those.

The situation is uncomfortable for any of us, but by steering emotions we just help the dishonest and unfair people present in this thread, just waiting for their chance to seed fear, uncertainty and doubt.

-- Ichthyo

PS: if anyone wants to take legal action, please behave like real business people, talk to you lawyer, draw your conclusions on other business partners for yourself, privately, but stop creating noise and hot air here on the forum publicly.

I agree that we ought to be careful about accusations of lying.  However, given all the inconsistent reports offered by the various bitcoinica representatives, at the very least some of the representatives are misinformed about the subject of their own reports.  And that has only served to weaken my faith in any of their reports, including their consistent claim that people will get some of their money back.
Activity: 602

-- Ichthyo

Zhou repeatedly said that the money is there, so it's probably still there.

And has repeatedly failed to prove this to the rest of us.

Activity: 686
Bitbuy
Zhou repeatedly said that the money is there, so it's probably still there.

Nice to hear from genjix again. Finally, you are on the right track giving information more often. I believe transparency isn't just good for customers, but is in your own interest as well. I'm certain customers would have been much more supportive and understanding if you had tried to explain the confusion a little more, and a little earlier. If I were you, and I hadn't signed any papers yet, and realized I was blamed for something I wasn't even legally involved in at the time, I would have not been the first to take responsibility, either.

Nevertheless, let's get this over with so we can enjoy the summer and won't need to spend the rest of the summer reading this forum. Make Bitcoinica's customers good, even if it's only 80%, send more confirmation emails, give daily updates. Most will be satisfied and remember this as one big investment mistake, we can all go buy some ice cream, sit in a beer garden with public viewing and watch Italy, Spain and Russia make it to the semi-finals.

Couldn't have said it better. Thanks for this post Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: