Pages:
Author

Topic: [Payout Updates] Bitcoinica site is taken offline for security investigation - page 55. (Read 156693 times)

legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000
Zhou repeatedly said that the money is there, so it's probably still there.

Nice to hear from genjix again. Finally, you are on the right track giving information more often. I believe transparency isn't just good for customers, but is in your own interest as well. I'm certain customers would have been much more supportive and understanding if you had tried to explain the confusion a little more, and a little earlier. If I were you, and I hadn't signed any papers yet, and realized I was blamed for something I wasn't even legally involved in at the time, I would have not been the first to take responsibility, either.

Nevertheless, let's get this over with so we can enjoy the summer and won't need to spend the rest of the summer reading this forum. Make Bitcoinica's customers good, even if it's only 80%, send more confirmation emails, give daily updates. Most will be satisfied and remember this as one big investment mistake, we can all go buy some ice cream, sit in a beer garden with public viewing and watch Italy, Spain and Russia make it to the semi-finals.

+1. I can only echo that genjix's more frequent communication is great in (re)building trust
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001
Zhou repeatedly said that the money is there, so it's probably still there.

Nice to hear from genjix again. Finally, you are on the right track giving information more often. I believe transparency isn't just good for customers, but is in your own interest as well. I'm certain customers would have been much more supportive and understanding if you had tried to explain the confusion a little more, and a little earlier. If I were you, and I hadn't signed any papers yet, and realized I was blamed for something I wasn't even legally involved in at the time, I would have not been the first to take responsibility, either.

Nevertheless, let's get this over with so we can enjoy the summer and won't need to spend the rest of the summer reading this forum. Make Bitcoinica's customers good, even if it's only 80%, send more confirmation emails, give daily updates. Most will be satisfied and remember this as one big investment mistake, we can all go buy some ice cream, sit in a beer garden with public viewing and watch Italy, Spain and Russia make it to the semi-finals.
Activity: 761
Merit: 500
Mine Silent, Mine Deep
How did you fill the claim form out?  Did you put all "exacts" or "approx."?  I filled out "approx" because I had no idea if I had like .005 BTC added on to any of my transactions and BTC total's in my account.  I just couldn't fill out "exact" b/c I didn't want to  be off by any amount.  

I used "approx." as interest was accruing daily on both my USD and BTC deposits, so I had no way of knowing the "exact" value. However all the significant digits on the left of the decimal point were exact and I provided references and transfer codes to back them up.
vip
Activity: 574
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
Oh look, 25 days since the last update on https://bitcoinica.com/.  Awesome.
Activity: 532
So now I understand that basically none of you are willing to accept responsibility as the GP of Bitcoinica, LP.

Basically, all of the involved people have apparently shirked their responsibility, and now are in possession of funds that they are unwilling to return to their rightful owners.

Sounds more and more like SOMEONE is scamming SOMEONE - and until we find out who is scamming whom, the only presumption we (as customers) can make is that all the parties involved in "Bitcoinica LP" are scamming their customers (through action or inaction)

So, which partner is trying to rip off which other partner? Squeeze them out at a loss? WTF is really going on?

This smells way more dirty than a bunch of fuckups who lost their data and can't figure out how to return some funds.

Why have you not contacted your customers? Why have you not actually been clear about the ownership of your company?

Why don't you PROVE that you actually have the funds. Put them in a trust - otherwise, I think we have to presume that you're running a scam, and either don't really have the money, or won't return it because you're using it to earn for your own company.

Show us the money already.
Activity: 1138
Merit: 523
why do you people not just kick Donald out? he seems like a jerk, first fighting with Zhou on the forum, then with Tihan by email.
what is wrong with this guy??? he is counter productive!

He's probably also the only thing keeping parties unnamed from pulling an Edison on other people's Tesla act

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla and http://theoatmeal.com/blog/tesla_response

legendary
Activity: 1050
You are WRONG!
@Maria:
BITCH PLEASE!

your money is not more important, then others money.
please stop spamming the thread.
legendary
Activity: 1050
You are WRONG!
why do you people not just kick Donald out? he seems like a jerk, first fighting with Zhou on the forum, then with Tihan by email.
what is wrong with this guy??? he is counter productive!
Activity: 832
Merit: 250
(And then this goes backwards and forwards with Donald asking for Andrew Thornhill's contact details, and Tihan saying we don't need them, as we are in charge. The issue being of course that Bitcoinica Consultancy is a non-existent/unformed company)

He also sent me an email asking me for the documents to complete the formation of Bitcoinica Consultancy, which is a bit weird as we're paying people back, and I don't have a spare day or two to go get my documents notarised.

Anyway I'm not sure who's right between Donald (being excessively "by the book") or Tihan (trying to limit his perceived involvement). But it does not matter who is legally in charge right now as the way forwards is clear and everyone is in agreement about what needs to be done. We will make the payments, we now have consolidated all the records and the money.

6325 + 9449 = 15,774 BTC

Current Mtgox Price is 5.60

USD 53,244  = 9449 BTC

Send My Money To: 1HJc5VLMpFCQJg2maP9wGuCo3NAgwaCJQj

Maria.
Activity: 661
For the sake of transparency - This morning I received a verification confirmation over email:

Your claim has been reviewed and deemed accurate but payments cannot begin until we've gone through more of them to get a big picture.

Has anyone else received similar confirmations?

No.  How did you fill the claim form out?  Did you put all "exacts" or "approx."?  I filled out "approx" because I had no idea if I had like .005 BTC added on to any of my transactions and BTC total's in my account.  I just couldn't fill out "exact" b/c I didn't want to  be off by any amount.  

How large was your BTC holding if you don't mind me asking?
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
rippleFanatic
Thanks for the update genjix. At least I now know who is at the top of my shitlist (Andrew Thornhill).
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076
This would also explain genjix statement:

Tihan denies being in charge, which means his parent company (Core Credit) has to authorise the payments. However Tihan is saying we don't need that.

Color me confused. What is going on and how does this benefit customers?

You should quote the entirety of my post:

It's pretty easy, Genjix, what are you working on today?  Right now.  What is Patrick working on?  What is Donald working on?  You are all hard working guys, and can't be just sitting around drinking coffee.  What exactly is it that you've spent the last four weeks doing?  Even if the answer isn't "writing cheques to repay you", just tell us.  It's not like you can be "incorrect" or "inaccurate" about what you're doing.

Until Saturday (or so), I was working on helping process the claims. Since then I've been working on libbitcoin and Electrum.

Now the thing is that for payments to be processed, we need legal authorisation from the person in charge. Tihan denies being in charge, which means his parent company (Core Credit) has to authorise the payments. However Tihan is saying we don't need that.

The problem is that Bitcoinica Consultancy only begun the process of being formed when the attack happened. The paper work was not completed and we weren't acting as GP. Tihan is asking us to finish completing the formation of Bitcoinica Consultancy first, while we are asking for legal authorisation to conduct payments on their behalf.

But I think the issue may be resolved now although I'm not sure of the specifics (I'm not a lawyer). Hopefully someone acting on proper legal representation can respond.

Anyway I'm going to avoid posting now, since the technical problems have been resolved, and the remaining things are legal. I've probably made a bunch of mistakes or inaccuracies above as I don't have a complete understanding of this and don't have a legal background.

Bitcoinica Consultancy registration was never completed. I for instance had not signed and my documents weren't notarised. Similar things for others. So there is no clear ownership here.

Tihan was asking for completion of the registration for Bitcoinica Consultancy, whereas Donald was asking for legal authorisation from Core Credit.

Tihan sent this email:

This is what I need from each of you today:

1) A sign of life that the claims processing has begun -- an announcement to that effect and/or actually paying people back

2) An email reply that you are acting as directors for the Bitcoinica LP general partner.

3) An email reply that you will supply the NZ Companies office with valid docs to reflect your director status at your earliest opportunity

I must consider anything less to be an abandonment of your legal obligations.

Donald, since you are the only one not in favor of moving forward, I will look for you to respond first.

Donald:

I've tried to contact Andrew Thornhill but haven't been able to. Do you have his contact? The question in my mind is if you had the authority to hand us the claims process and what that extends to- does it extend to actually making payments? I think your speculative judgements or opinions are worthless in this regard. You cannot say that we have the right to make them and that you are an advisor. We need to determine if we do have the right. It could potentially be a lengthy process but if you provide me with Andrew Thornhill's contact it can be resolved immediately.

Tihan:

I never had the authority to hand you the claims process. By my recommendation, that authority was handed to you by the legal owner (the investment fund) when you accepted responsibility as General Partners.

Quoting from the Bitcoinica limited partnership agreement...

"
4.1 Management
(a) The General Partner has exclusive responsibility for the management and control of the business and affairs of the Limited Partnership
4.2 Authority and Powers
Subject to and without prejudice to the generality of clause 4.1, in respect of the Business, the General Partner and its agents and delegates and their respective delegates have the full powers and the authority of the Limited Partnership and the power to bind the Limited Partnership without prior consulation with any of the Limited Partners

(And then this goes backwards and forwards with Donald asking for Andrew Thornhill's contact details, and Tihan saying we don't need them, as we are in charge. The issue being of course that Bitcoinica Consultancy is a non-existent/unformed company)

He also sent me an email asking me for the documents to complete the formation of Bitcoinica Consultancy, which is a bit weird as we're paying people back, and I don't have a spare day or two to go get my documents notarised.

Anyway I'm not sure who's right between Donald (being excessively "by the book") or Tihan (trying to limit his perceived involvement). But it does not matter who is legally in charge right now as the way forwards is clear and everyone is in agreement about what needs to be done. We will make the payments, we now have consolidated all the records and the money.
Activity: 761
Mine Silent, Mine Deep
For the sake of transparency - This morning I received a verification confirmation over email:

Your claim has been reviewed and deemed accurate but payments cannot begin until we've gone through more of them to get a big picture.

Has anyone else received similar confirmations?
Activity: 616
Merit: 502
Bitcoinica owners, (Zhou can be), you got my email message [email protected] (proof of ownership account, transaction history)? My data is in the process? I'm sorry for the translation.
EDIT Also, I apologize for any (possibly) inaccuracies in the data.
vip
Activity: 490
Well, one guy says they have less than 10% verified. A second guy says over 75%...

Less than 10% by the number of claims verified.
About 50% by the value of claims verified.
*At least* 75% of funds (without adjusting for fake entries) are present in an account that I can access.
I also donated pretty much the same amount to Wikimedia Foundation Inc. Alright, Wikipedia was the de facto owner of Bitcoinica back then.
What fuck is this?  Shocked Shocked Related things (one charterer?)? http://z-filez.info/story/wikileaks-tehnologii-informaciya-obshchestvo

I guess you mean "character".

Yes. Wikimedia Foundation Inc. is a non-profit that owns Wikipedia, Wikibooks, Wikiquotes, Wiktionary, and other assets. Not Wikileaks though.
there is an assumption that all these projects have one owner (a secret investor, a new political force)

Maria, I'm trying to find information on the parts of this thread,information about refunds, I was really hard to do this using graphic ..

legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
Neither Intersango nor Bitcoin Consultancy is involved in bitcoinica.

Some of the Intersango/Bitcoin Consultancy team members are, however posting about that in this thread is wildly inappropriate.

That is funny because Donald Norman, the CEO of Intersango/Bitcoin Consultancy claimed the following on 2012/04/24:

http://bitcoinmedia.com/first-licensed-advanced-trading-platform-for-bitcoin/

Searching NZ companies I don't see a "Bitcoinica LP".  I do see a "BITCOINICA CONSULTANCY LIMITED":
 - http://www.business.govt.nz/companies/app/ui/pages/companies/search?q=bitcoinica&mode=standard

So around April 21 there were the following entries in the NZ register:
  • "BITCOINICA CONSULTANCY LIMITED"
  • "CORE CREDIT LIMITED" (30/01/2012)
  • "BITCOINICA LP" (FSP) (22/03/2012)

However on May 30 the following happened:

• "BITCOINICA CONSULTANCY LIMITED" > registration withdrawn.
  • "CORE CREDIT LIMITED" > namechange >  "BITCOINICA CONSULTANCY LIMITED"

So correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that:
  • Intersango guys were the original BITCOIN CONSULTANCY LIMITED (General Partner)
  • Tihans investment fund was CORE CREDIT LIMITED. (Majority Limited Partner)
  • On May 30 the LIMITED PARTNER changed name to that of the GENERAL PARTNER.

This would also explain genjix statement:

Tihan denies being in charge, which means his parent company (Core Credit) has to authorise the payments. However Tihan is saying we don't need that.

Color me confused. What is going on and how does this benefit customers?

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say that we seem to be getting inconsistent reports of what's going on.  I'm content to let the claims process take as long as it needs to take, within reason, for claims to be as accurate as possible; but all this other stuff is eroding any faith I have that anything is really being done.
vip
Activity: 490
I also donated pretty much the same amount to Wikimedia Foundation Inc. Alright, Wikipedia was the de facto owner of Bitcoinica back then.
What fuck is this?  Shocked Shocked Related things (one charterer?)? http://z-filez.info/story/wikileaks-tehnologii-informaciya-obshchestvo

I guess you mean "character".

Yes. Wikimedia Foundation Inc. is a non-profit that owns Wikipedia, Wikibooks, Wikiquotes, Wiktionary, and other assets. Not Wikileaks though.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
Again Matthew, After you advised Zhoutong to sell our private documents without consulting, how much money did you make after the sale was completed?

Maria.

Jesus, are you 15? Sales of businesses happen all the time, within the last year I've gotten letters from my pharmacy saying it's shutting down and my records are being transferred to another company along with my dentist retiring and selling his practice. That's just my medical records being transferred, I'm sure there's dozens of businesses I deal with that have had changes of ownership in the last year. Zhoutong does not have to run his business in perpetuity because you don't like change.

Do you go whine on the internet when the banks you deal with merge or get bought out?
Pages:
Jump to: