Author

Topic: [POOL][Scrypt][Scrypt-N][X11] Profit switching pool - wafflepool.com - page 157. (Read 465668 times)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0
Still not a single share lost after the switch (which is about 50 min now) on any of the cards, I'm cool with that Cheesy
Activity: 413
Merit: 10
Hey Waffle, is there an API for individual miner stats?
Since that Android widget went pay-only, I want to make my own simple one. Do people just grep the HTML for the miner stats or is there an API you would prefer me to use?
Activity: 322
Merit: 254
Alrighty guys.
...new code...rejections...optimisation
OK, forgive me if these are daft questions but as I'm new I'll ask... Smiley
1) I know I can see the rejections in cgminer (A: xxxx R: yyyy for each card) but is there somewhere I can easily see the totals / % from the pool's point of view or do I need to add them all up across all my cards?  In other pools they have a stat which shows your total rejects but I don't know if I we have anything like this on WP
2) At what level should I start to take action?  What sort of % would you suggest should cause me to reduce intensity?
3) What action to take? Smiley  Now I know that seems like a silly question in that if the % is too high I need to reduce intensity but I assume I need to knock it back 1 or 2 at a time and then wait to see the impact on rejections but how long to wait?  Is it a pretty instance cause and effect or is it sensible to leave it for 1 hour or 1 day etc?  Or is there somewhere to go to see what intensity works for my cards?

I just want to make this as profitable for me and everyone else as possible and don't want my lack of knowledge to get in the way!  Especially as you're doing such hard work for us all Smiley

1) I'll be adding to the miners page shortly (it was never high enough to really put on there)
2) Its not % based unfortunately, its % compared to increase in hash power.  For example, early on bumps in intensity (say 8 to 9) will yield a TON more hashpower, for a very small increase in rejects (say +10% shares, +0.1% rejects, very obviously worth it).  Later intensity increases will yield a small bump in hash power, for a larger increase in rejects (say +1% shares, +2% rejects, probably not worth it).  It has to be done on a per miner basis unfortunately.  Typical ranges for rejects are around 2-3%, and aren't terribly worrysome.  10%+ is probably worrysome.  It also depends a lot on your latency to the stratum server...
3) Back off intensity, or try to use a "closer" (ping-wise) stratum endpoint.  If you're in asia, and you're using the USEast endpoint, you're probably doing it wrong Smiley
Activity: 42
Took a bit longer than I wanted it to, but the new stratum server is up and running 100% of EU (still gotta move the others).  Its looking _really_ good.  Extremely fast, slightly higher than previous reject rates, but not outside of what was expected (2-3%).  Short-term profitability looks better for EU compared to others, which makes me think its going to help overall, but could just be a luck-bump at the exact time that I look at it (of course it would be..)

Looks really good, i did reset counters when new stratum came alive, 0% rejected so far.
Activity: 55
Alrighty guys.
...new code...rejections...optimisation
OK, forgive me if these are daft questions but as I'm new I'll ask... Smiley
1) I know I can see the rejections in cgminer (A: xxxx R: yyyy for each card) but is there somewhere I can easily see the totals / % from the pool's point of view or do I need to add them all up across all my cards?  In other pools they have a stat which shows your total rejects but I don't know if I we have anything like this on WP
2) At what level should I start to take action?  What sort of % would you suggest should cause me to reduce intensity?
3) What action to take? Smiley  Now I know that seems like a silly question in that if the % is too high I need to reduce intensity but I assume I need to knock it back 1 or 2 at a time and then wait to see the impact on rejections but how long to wait?  Is it a pretty instance cause and effect or is it sensible to leave it for 1 hour or 1 day etc?  Or is there somewhere to go to see what intensity works for my cards?

I just want to make this as profitable for me and everyone else as possible and don't want my lack of knowledge to get in the way!  Especially as you're doing such hard work for us all Smiley

Many thanks

Miles
Took a bit longer than I wanted it to, but the new stratum server is up and running 100% of EU (still gotta move the others).  Its looking _really_ good.  Extremely fast, slightly higher than previous reject rates, but not outside of what was expected (2-3%).  Short-term profitability looks better for EU compared to others, which makes me think its going to help overall, but could just be a luck-bump at the exact time that I look at it (of course it would be..)
Activity: 18
Any one having any regrets for not mining at dedicated litecoin pool? Litecoin is rising fast on huobi news.

Sure we regret not making the maximum amount of money possible from our rigs but if we could know the future we would not be mining at all.
We would already be rich... so no point in crying over spilled milk. Just use some of your earned btc and buy LTC before it "goes to the moon".

Frankly, just cause it's getting a pump doesn't mean it's going to the moon. For the longest while, I kept pool hopping coin to coin, watching and trying to guess where the next pump was going to occur, but frankly it's pretty much impossible to correctly guess the next pump (you need inside info).

If anything, the pump on litecoin right now might be bad for it in the long run: Each and every coin wishes for stability not volatility, whether it's for becoming an asset or actual currency replacement. A pump on litecoin with no relation to other coin market values going up just means to me that there is a whale pumping, and an unfortunate dump is on its way.

*Edit*
To whit, it's probably gonna happen right now:
http://i.imgur.com/YJLRrgP.png
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001
Any one having any regrets for not mining at dedicated litecoin pool? Litecoin is rising fast on huobi news.

Sure we regret not making the maximum amount of money possible from our rigs but if we could know the future we would not be mining at all.
We would already be rich... so no point in crying over spilled milk. Just use some of your earned btc and buy LTC before it "goes to the moon".
Unconverted piling up, exchanges slow again?
when a coin switch happened, or when a new block was found, and we sent new work to the miner, the miner would be forced to do a pipeline flush (read "stop working" for a very short bit).  During that time, these jacked up miners would submit the shares they hadn't submitted yet.  We would accept them because they were coming in just after a switch, and we were being forgiving.  However, in most cases (block changes are far more often than coin switches), these shares had a 0% profitability (they were stale).

I am new to mining, ....

Doesn't "difficulty" also have the same effect? Didn't you set the minimum difficulty to 512?

On faster coins, these block changes are every few seconds, and that delay makes a huge difference in profitability.

So, let's say that with a difficulty of 512, I am submitting shares every 4 seconds. Wouldn't that make most of my shares stale?

Not the same at all.  Difficulty will give you how long on average it takes to find a share (essentially).  When those shares come in is completely random.  If you randomly find them all between block switches, you'd have 100% accepted rate (regardless of difficulty).  If you randomly find them all during block switches, you'll have a 0% accepted rate.  Has nothing to do with difficulty.
when a coin switch happened, or when a new block was found, and we sent new work to the miner, the miner would be forced to do a pipeline flush (read "stop working" for a very short bit).  During that time, these jacked up miners would submit the shares they hadn't submitted yet.  We would accept them because they were coming in just after a switch, and we were being forgiving.  However, in most cases (block changes are far more often than coin switches), these shares had a 0% profitability (they were stale).

I am new to mining, ....

Doesn't "difficulty" also have the same effect? Didn't you set the minimum difficulty to 512?

On faster coins, these block changes are every few seconds, and that delay makes a huge difference in profitability.

So, let's say that with a difficulty of 512, I am submitting shares every 4 seconds. Wouldn't that make most of my shares stale?

Any guess on the share submission rate per 1MH/s with a difficulty level of 512?

1.5-2 shares per minute
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
when a coin switch happened, or when a new block was found, and we sent new work to the miner, the miner would be forced to do a pipeline flush (read "stop working" for a very short bit).  During that time, these jacked up miners would submit the shares they hadn't submitted yet.  We would accept them because they were coming in just after a switch, and we were being forgiving.  However, in most cases (block changes are far more often than coin switches), these shares had a 0% profitability (they were stale).

I am new to mining, ....

Any guess on the share submission rate per 1MH/s with a difficulty level of 512?
In the test we've been running here over the last 2 hours (small portion of the pool), we're seeing the reject rate at roughly 2.6% (a bit higher when mining small coins, lower when mining big coins).

Going to start the transition to the new servers now, your miners will likely disconnect/reconnect in the process, possibly multiple times. Nothing to worry about Smiley
Activity: 26
It sounds like shares after "Pool 0 stale share detected, submitting as user requested" will now be rejected.  I think this will make the rejected shared on my setup around 5% (if it is similar to Clevermining) to up from 0.2%. I am running intensity 20 on my R9 290. I'll try lowering it once the new stratum server code is put into production.
Activity: 249
Merit: 250
sooo how do i configure my miner correctly if my reject rate goes up?

Lower your intensity setting.
Activity: 94
sooo how do i configure my miner correctly if my reject rate goes up?
Activity: 545
Merit: 500
Activity: 84
insert the long new info here
Just trying to lower the length of the page!
Great to hear! So I'm getting a little mixed up I think, so if you're getting some rejects now you'll get more with the new server and you'll have to retune. But if you're already gettingn a very low amount, I think I'm getting maybe .3% of 24+ hours, would I need to do much tuning with the new server? Or would I be set to go.
Thanks! Your pools been great, its getting hard to follow what coin is most profitable when you're busy with school and a girlfriend!
Activity: 49
So happy about it. I'm always fan of optimal configuration with the minimum possible intensity (currently using xi:4 on 7950s doing 660 for example). Hiding rejected is actually a bad thing, always better to see the real state and optimize for the best, than be blinded about it, switch to the new code already Cheesy
Alrighty guys.

I spent all of yesterday frantically hacking out a new stratum server.  It looks to be stable, looks to be a TON faster than our existing one, and should allow us to increase profitability overall.

That last part needs some explaining.  And I want to make sure everyone reads this closely and fully understands the reasons behind what is going to change before spewing out the comments that I know will follow.

Our previous (currently running) stratum server had a bit of forgiveness built into the share rejecting algorithm.  This came to be as a way to handle shares that were submitted on the boundary of switching coins.  So when we switched coins, if you submitted a share immediately following a chain switch, we would still accept the share and check against that chain.  This had the unfortunate (but seemingly minimal) effect of allowing shares in split second after seeing a new block on the same coin chain as well.  Didn't seem like a major thing, so it was left (and everyone was happy with the lower reject rates).

While testing the new stratum server, it has become apparent that this may have had a decent bit of effect on our profitability (especially in regards to being able to mine smaller coins).  What this bit of leeway did, was make it so that miners could crank up their intensity on their miners to a point where the miner would be so busy looking for new shares, that it would delay the submitting of found shares by a slight margin ("slight" being undefined here).  However, when a coin switch happened, or when a new block was found, and we sent new work to the miner, the miner would be forced to do a pipeline flush (read "stop working" for a very short bit).  During that time, these jacked up miners would submit the shares they hadn't submitted yet.  We would accept them because they were coming in just after a switch, and we were being forgiving.  However, in most cases (block changes are far more often than coin switches), these shares had a 0% profitability (they were stale).

This became extremely apparent when watching share timings with the new stratum endpoint.  Assuming normal mining, shares should be submitted at a very even rate over time, with slight drops in valid shares immediately following a work restart (new block, coin switch), and a bump in stales during that time.  With the new server (which rejects these stale shares by default), we see a reasonably even amount of shares, and a huge bump (30-40%) of shares submitted immediately following a block change.  On faster coins, these block changes are every few seconds, and that delay makes a huge difference in profitability.

So, while everyone had lower reject rates due to this, miners taking advantage of it were getting more than their fair share of shares, and were dropping our profitability of the whole pool by not submitting shares as soon as they were found, as well as making mining small coins exponentially less profitable.

What does that mean for you?
When the new stratum servers go into production, you will see a bump in rejected shares, however this bump in rejected shares will be across the entire pool.  And in a PPLNS environment, all that matters is your rejected rate compared to everyone else's.  The second part of this is that miners that are currently taking advantage of the pool will either have insane reject rates, or need to configure their miner to actually submit shares on time, causing our overall profitability to go up.

I'm going to bet a lot of the miners doing this don't actually know they're doing it (and neither did I until recently obviously), they've most likely kept pushing their device further and further, and since they never got higher reject rates, everything seemed fine.  If you're one of these miners, when the new servers go live, you'll likely see a decent bump in reject rate (more in line with other pools).  You'll need to re-tune your miner to aim for more accepted shares (rather than just raw number of shares).

This new stratum server is in testing, and will likely be released later today/tomorrow assuming everything goes fine.

Let the hate spewing begin.
Jump to: