Pages:
Author

Topic: Pre-order Bitcoin Magazine - Quality control, final revisions on proofs - page 47. (Read 93728 times)

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
Has anyone uploaded the digital copy to a Torrent site yet?   Grin  Grin
And actually, I was curious about this Matthew - what stance will you take on piracy?  Are you fine with people sharing the digital copy with each other, knowing that it will happen regardless?  Or are you going to attempt to fight it somehow?

I don't represent everyone at the magazine or BitTalk Media with the following comment, so take this with a grain of salt.

I personally think that if we have a magazine that is easily stealable, then it deserves to be stolen. We're not going to be giving out a pdf file for example.

On another note, I believe in the power of community. The only people ripping this magazine off would be those with absolutely no money and no thought of supporting the magazine- in which case they have their reasons and I appreciate that.

There is a dangerous line between print and digital though, and I want to make sure that the actions of digital release never complicate the print release. I have no problem with giving the digital away for absolutely free-- it's the fact that we'd have no revenue to print the physical issues that would be the problem.

Whatever we decide, everyone will find out at the same time as we're planning on Android, iPhone and general Web releases as well. I am also very open to suggestions for how to handle it (please, nothing like "Pay with a Tweet") and still keep the magazine alive.

Here is my question: If I purchase the print plus digital edition in what format will the digital edition be? If it is a .pdf file, that is not infected with DRM, which I can read with the operating system and software of my choosing  now and in the future then I am interested. On the other hand if I have to license specific propriety software and / or hardware from Microsoft, Apple, Amazon etc in order to be able to read it for a limited time, because of some DRM scheme that will in any case be broken within months if it has not already being broken than I am not.

As far as I am concerned DRM is a deal breaker on any digital product regardless of the currency used to pay for it. Yes it will be pirated with and without DRM, but that will not prevent the Magazine for being successful.
Activity: 496
Merit: 500
As for the issue with Schildbach wallet, that's a wallet I'm not familiar with.

That's the Bitcoin Wallet by Andreas Schildbach, one of the more popular Android wallets. It uses BitcoinJ and as far as I know, does not require you to be caught up with the block chain (nor received transactions to be confirmed?) in order to spend.
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

We have corrected the bug that caused the country information to get dropped.  For those that have already ordered, you can either send an email to [email protected] with your invoice URL and your country, or we'll contact you (if we cannot determine your country ourselves).

Thanks Steven! Appreciate following up!
Activity: 868
Merit: 1008
This looks great. I just ordered two copies.
I've never used bit-pay.com before, but I have a few problems:

First order was payed using the Schildbach wallet, and it deducted the bitcoins, but bit-pay still timed out. Realizing that if I get four copies instead of two that's fine, so I went ahead and ordered two more and using bitcoin spinner this time, the payment cleared and I got the confirmation email, but my address in the confirmation does not include the country (Denmark). Is this normal?

Looking foreward to my two (four) copies, and best of luck with future issues.

Thank you for bringing this issue up. I will forward this for you to [email protected]. We have absolutely no control over issues that arise with Bit-pay and they seem to be working very quickly to fix any problems we're having so I suggest everyone just e-mail Stephen directly at that e-mail address the next time there is an issue.

Thanks guys.
We have corrected the bug that caused the country information to get dropped.  For those that have already ordered, you can either send an email to [email protected] with your invoice URL and your country, or we'll contact you (if we cannot determine your country ourselves).

As for the issue with Schildbach wallet, that's a wallet I'm not familiar with.  We have to put a deadline on the payments because either we need to sell those bitcoins for our merchants, or the merchants themselves need to sell bitcoins.  And as everyone is aware, the bitcoin price can be volatile at times.  Some wallets won't deliver transactions to the network unless it's fully caught up with the block chain.  Some of the online wallets (and exchange accounts) also can have delays in sending a transaction.  I'll look into Schildbach wallet and see whether that might be the case.  Note, Bitcoin Spinner seems to be very good about prompt delivery of transactions.

Edit: Just realized Schildbach wallet is "The Bitcoin Wallet" on Android.  That is a full client (downloads block chain) if I'm not mistaken.  I'm not that familiar with it, but it's likely that it works like the main bitcoin client in that it won't send out a transaction unless it is caught up on the block chain.
Activity: 714
Merit: 504
^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.
OK cool. I ordered one. And hey: It's been cheaper in bitcoins  Grin
Ahaha yeah, for now Tongue
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
OK cool. I ordered one. And hey: It's been cheaper in bitcoins  Grin
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame
And actually, I was curious about this Matthew - what stance will you take on piracy?  Are you fine with people sharing the digital copy with each other, knowing that it will happen regardless?  Or are you going to attempt to fight it somehow?

I don't represent everyone at the magazine or BitTalk Media with the following comment, so take this with a grain of salt.

I personally think that if we have a magazine that is easily stealable, then it deserves to be stolen. We're not going to be giving out a pdf file for example.

On another note, I believe in the power of community. The only people ripping this magazine off would be those with absolutely no money and no thought of supporting the magazine- in which case they have their reasons and I appreciate that.

There is a dangerous line between print and digital though, and I want to make sure that the actions of digital release never complicate the print release. I have no problem with giving the digital away for absolutely free-- it's the fact that we'd have no revenue to print the physical issues that would be the problem.

Whatever we decide, everyone will find out at the same time as we're planning on Android, iPhone and general Web releases as well. I am also very open to suggestions for how to handle it (please, nothing like "Pay with a Tweet") and still keep the magazine alive.

Very professionally spoken.
+1
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
You said it ships on Feb 1st, so we could be expecting it Feb 2nd through... Feb 9th for US customers?

This one is scheduled for February release.

That's all I've said so far. I would never hammer it to an exact day. I learned by lesson with the BitTalk.TV Christmas Special.
Ah, my bad.  Well, I look forward to getting it sometime in February or March then.  :p

Has anyone uploaded the digital copy to a Torrent site yet?   Grin  Grin
And actually, I was curious about this Matthew - what stance will you take on piracy?  Are you fine with people sharing the digital copy with each other, knowing that it will happen regardless?  Or are you going to attempt to fight it somehow?

Makes sense, thanks for the response.

You said it ships on Feb 1st, so we could be expecting it Feb 2nd through... Feb 9th for US customers?

This one is scheduled for February release.

That's all I've said so far. I would never hammer it to an exact day. I learned by lesson with the BitTalk.TV Christmas Special.
legendary
And actually, I was curious about this Matthew - what stance will you take on piracy?  Are you fine with people sharing the digital copy with each other, knowing that it will happen regardless?  Or are you going to attempt to fight it somehow?
Activity: 630
Ordered the first issue. When I selected my country from the list and pressed the save changes, it reverted to USA, what I did was I wrote the country in the Region box, selected my country from the dropdown, saved, selected from the dropdown again, and then ordered. Hopefully that will work.

Yea, that seems simple enough.  Roll Eyes @ Bit-pay
Activity: 226
Merit: 100
Ordered the first issue. When I selected my country from the list and pressed the save changes, it reverted to USA, what I did was I wrote the country in the Region box, selected my country from the dropdown, saved, selected from the dropdown again, and then ordered. Hopefully that will work.
legendary

First order was payed using the Schildbach wallet, and it deducted the bitcoins, but bit-pay still timed out. Realizing that if I get four copies instead of two that's fine, so I went ahead and ordered two more and using bitcoin spinner this time, the payment cleared and I got the confirmation email, but my address in the confirmation does not include the country (Denmark). Is this normal?

Thank you for bringing this issue up. I will forward this for you to [email protected]. We have absolutely no control over issues that arise with Bit-pay and they seem to be working very quickly to fix any problems we're having so I suggest everyone just e-mail Stephen directly at that e-mail address the next time there is an issue.

Thanks guys.
legendary
Activity: 945
Merit: 1003

donator
Activity: 544
EDIT: If it's not showing your country at all then I'll need to communicate to Bit-pay about it. Which country is it not showing?
Let me amend the bug report.

The form shows a drop down menu with country. When I select mine (presumably others too), and then press "save changes", the country switches back to USA. When I click "Checkout now", it displays the invoice, but under "buyer information" it does not mention any reference to a country, it just shows the address without country.
donator
Activity: 853
Merit: 1000
Watching

Awesome work btw!
Looks well formatted. I just get a godaddy parking page when I click the link you provided though.

Get off godaddy.

#NoDaddy

Use namecheap.com (AntiSOPA) or internet.bs (sends DMCA to you, ignores threats)

+1

GoDaddy supported SOPA, boycott.

I didn't use GoDaddy. Where does it say GoDaddy? I have used Cinfu to register all domains except for Bitcoinmagazine, which I did not purchase myself. Are you suggesting I pay the money to transfer it out of the current registrar and over to CINFU?

Pages:
Jump to: