Pages:
Author

Topic: PRISM - Who else is disgusted by this? - page 16. (Read 41124 times)

Activity: 199
Merit: 100
June 11, 2013, 07:35:25 PM
If you live in a city or apartment building, change your wireless network name to NSA.gov
Activity: 104
Merit: 10
June 11, 2013, 03:55:13 PM
VPN, Bitcoin, Tor, PGP. 

This is the world we live in and those are the tools you have to fight back.

Don't forget Ghostery http://www.ghostery.com/download to stop cookies from tracking.

Maybe we should have a separate thread with all the ways to protect oneself and how they work.
Activity: 85
Fortune favors the bold and brave
June 11, 2013, 03:08:52 PM
VPN, Bitcoin, Tor, PGP. 

This is the world we live in and those are the tools you have to fight back.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
June 11, 2013, 03:00:18 PM
legendary
Activity: 1540
June 11, 2013, 02:17:56 PM
do not trust statistics you didn't forge yourself  Smiley
ding ding!  The poll question was probably something like "When it comes to known baby-killing terrorists, should the government track their phone and internet activity?"

You also have to take into account when these morons use percentages is what the percentage is out of, I'm shit at percentages and this is the most classic trick they use, they'll usually take a poll of about 1000 people or something and then claim it's 'everybody' or in this case 'A percentage of all Americans' chances are most people are as outraged as you and the media is just trying to smooth it over.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
June 11, 2013, 02:07:28 PM
The US should be cut off from the European internet.

Not possible, untill american govt wants that and i don't think they will ever do that.
they want to monitor whole world.
legendary
Activity: 966
- - -Caveat Aleo- - -
June 11, 2013, 01:58:26 PM
Connection between PRISM revelations and bitcoin:

http://www.coindesk.com/prisms-effect-on-bitcoin-prices/

legendary
Activity: 868
ADT developer
June 11, 2013, 01:57:36 PM
I tried to search more on this and my browser crashed. Im scared.

same hapend to me
legendary
Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013
Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952
Activity: 260
Merit: 250
June 11, 2013, 01:53:03 PM
do not trust statistics you didn't forge yourself  Smiley
ding ding!  The poll question was probably something like "When it comes to known baby-killing terrorists, should the government track their phone and internet activity?"
Activity: 98
June 11, 2013, 01:52:33 PM
The US should be cut off from the European internet.

Let them have their own internet protected by the Great Firewall of America, similar to what the Chinese do with their Great Firewall of China.

"The Golden Shield Project (Chinese: 金盾工程; pinyin: jīndùn gōngchéng), colloquially referred to as the Great Firewall of China[1] (防火长城) is a censorship and surveillance project operated by the Ministry of Public Security (MPS) division of the government of the People's Republic of China. The project was initiated in 1998 and began operations in November 2003." ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Firewall_of_China )
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007
June 11, 2013, 01:44:26 PM
do not trust statistics you didn't forge yourself  Smiley
Activity: 104
June 11, 2013, 01:42:52 PM
What's really frustrating, more than anything I've read about this, is the fact that the majority of Americans are OK with it. I wish I could find the article I read this morning, but it stated that 60% of Americans have no problem with what the NSA is doing because they feel safer knowing they're using it to stop terrorism.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
Touchdown
June 11, 2013, 09:05:07 AM
2005 says hello.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/21/politics/21nsa.html

Seriously, what do people think the NSA does?  What did Snowden think when he took the job?
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
June 11, 2013, 12:10:50 AM
I'd hoped never to see it confirmed, but it's a US problem only I hope:

Documents leaked by NSA contractor Edward Snowden[6] in June 2013 describe the PRISM program as enabling in-depth surveillance on live communications and stored information. It provides for the targeting of any customers of participating corporations who live outside the United States, or American citizens whose communications include web content of people outside the United States. Data which the NSA is able to obtain under PRISM allegedly includes email, video and voice chat, videos, photos, voice over IP conversations, file transfers, login notifications and social networking details.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)

I would say it is more targeted at non-US citizens.

So what? Are foreigners not people who deserve privacy?

I'm not saying it is right.  I'm just noting that it is ostensibly directed at non-US citizens and communications with them.
I am reminded here of a number of things.  Like picking out a place to sit down in the grass and avoiding one where there are a couple ants.  Because there are never "a couple ants."   There's a huge swarm of them of which I saw a couple.

It's the little bit pregnant type of a problem.

Inside the US, the uproar is about monitoring of US citizens.  Simply put, it is expected that NSA and like organizations will monitor non-US citizens.  As a US citizen, I am pissed that my activities are stored on an NSA computer.  As a non-US citizen, I would be pushing my government very hard to shut down the ability of the US to monitor the rest of the world's internet.

Longer term, this is just plain ugly.  The innocence of the internet is gone.  We had whispers before but this exposes the entire darkness of internet enabled surveillance.

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
June 10, 2013, 11:34:38 PM
I'd hoped never to see it confirmed, but it's a US problem only I hope:

Documents leaked by NSA contractor Edward Snowden[6] in June 2013 describe the PRISM program as enabling in-depth surveillance on live communications and stored information. It provides for the targeting of any customers of participating corporations who live outside the United States, or American citizens whose communications include web content of people outside the United States. Data which the NSA is able to obtain under PRISM allegedly includes email, video and voice chat, videos, photos, voice over IP conversations, file transfers, login notifications and social networking details.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)

I would say it is more targeted at non-US citizens.

So what? Are foreigners not people who deserve privacy?

I'm not saying it is right.  I'm just noting that it is ostensibly directed at non-US citizens and communications with them.
I am reminded here of a number of things.  Like picking out a place to sit down in the grass and avoiding one where there are a couple ants.  Because there are never "a couple ants."   There's a huge swarm of them of which I saw a couple.

It's the little bit pregnant type of a problem.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1021
June 10, 2013, 09:23:47 PM
so how would they deal with 6 billion dissenters anyway? we're the one who feed them.

I doubt they could, but it is going to take a lot more poking and prodding of the people before the general populace stands up against this crap. Many people are just too dumb to realize, or too apathetic to care. As Edward Snowden said, they are content living mundane lives and not giving  one single shit about the fact that they are under complete surveillance and lack any sort of privacy whatsoever.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1021
June 10, 2013, 09:21:00 PM
Not only disguted by what the us govt. is doing. Just to let you know. I am from hong kong, we got a bit of liberety here. And that guy who leak that thing is in hong kong and waiting for icelands' approval. Bad new that our hong kong govt have signed a treaty with america that if what he did is also violating hong kongs law. He could be orced to be brought back to america. Revealing national security sensitive data is not one but those computer havking is one of those.

For what i am more disgusted with. Is what China is doing. You see the walls they built (not the great wall but the great cencorship wall) and how they peek on QQs and im. Filter ou shit like the 4/6 tiananmen incident and those. Amd see how they treat the one who is leading and striving for a more liberative China. 
Reviewing what president Xi of china had said. We both (us and china) are dreaming the same dream. But for all of us on ghe world got liberty. Like you americans and we hing kong people. This dream is the beginning of the nightmare. All we hope is that prosm isnt the overture. But the finale of this

Sorry for typo. On my iCrap 4. Srsly i predict Apple rolls out ahit tonight

Glad to hear you share my sentiment on the issue. The internet should be a bastion of freedom for all mankind. It's turning in to a death trap. I understand a large majority of internet traffic routes through the US, but it doesn't give our government literal ownership.

It feels good to know that blind patriotism doesn't exist here, and even though people like you are halfway across the world from myself, we have a common goal and are united in the interest of preserving freedom and the basic rights of humanity. The sad thing is, I think these policies will get much worse before the tide turns for the better.

Can't say I'm an Apple fan  Wink , but then again I'm not much of a Google or Microsoft fan anymore either since they gladly hand themselves over to the PRISM project.....
Activity: 658
Merit: 250
June 10, 2013, 01:29:09 PM
i am disgusted
the oligarchs control the world by controlling governments and corporations
we are debt slaves to a small group who rule with hidden tyranny

bread and circuses , look it up
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007
June 10, 2013, 11:51:32 AM
so how would they deal with 6 billion dissenters anyway? we're the one who feed them.
Pages:
Jump to: