Pages:
Author

Topic: Proof of Stake Investment - HBN/PHS/TEK/CAP and more - page 6. (Read 15492 times)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
I try to keep my wallet locked and closed most of the time.
Ill open it now and then and get my stake, but keeping it open 24/7 is asking for trouble.
Activity: 155
Full disclosure...

My BTC is where my mouth is. Here is a breakdown of my portfolio:
~22 BTC
40.3% HBN
16.3% NVC
8.1% PHS
20.5% TEK
15.5% Other

I am working to get the other down to less than 5% because most are in non-stake coins.

I know everyone is saying BTC is king. LTC is king...etc. But I honestly don't understand why people don't hold stake coins. To me it is strange that if you are just going to have a chunk of money sitting there, why not have it do work for you?   
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
What if I cant have the wallet running 24/7, how much inpact if I open the wallet lets say for 3 hours once every week ?

It lowers your opportunity to stake. Wallets need to communicate with the network to determine coin stake age, and probabilities are computed to see if coins will stake. Plus, once they stake they have to be communicated to the network or they will become orphans.

You can do this - once a week - but I would give a wallet a full 24 hours. It should not change your stake return perceptibly. 

In order for your coins to begin minting you must have an unlocked wallet that remains connected to the network for extended periods of time (for the highest probability of success 24/7 network connectivity is suggested). You can also allow your coins to age with the wallet offline, but keep in mind that once the wallet is back online the blocks will be competing with the rest of the blocks ready to stake on the network. When you bring coins back online and fully synchronize with the blockchain, your coins will have a high coin age and might be eligible for stake before other coins in the network.
http://wiki.hobonickels.info/index.php?title=Proof_of_Stake
What if I cant have the wallet running 24/7, how much inpact if I open the wallet lets say for 3 hours once every week ?

It lowers your opportunity to stake. Wallets need to communicate with the network to determine coin stake age, and probabilities are computed to see if coins will stake. Plus, once they stake they have to be communicated to the network or they will become orphans.

You can do this - once a week - but I would give a wallet a full 24 hours. It should not change your stake return perceptibly. 
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but with PoS, I don't recall it being a hard rule that you'll generate stake in a given time frame, just that your chances of generating a PoS block even out to what the coded return rate is throughout the given time frame. What are your thoughts on reconciling returns if it takes longer than usual?

You are right, there is no guarantee that stake will happen at minimum stake age. From my experience HBN, PHS & TEK will stake around their min stake - as long as your coins are in bundles bigger than ~100 coins. You have to keep track through coin control. TEK does not have coin control, but I've PMed the dev. Coins in larger bundles insure higher probability of stake.

There is no guarantee for NVC however. Again you need to have coin bundles greater than 100 coins, and that is difficult given the price. So NVC will take longer.

However, the percentage is a yearly percentage that is applied at the time of stake. Thus if coins take longer to stake, the percentage that you get will be greater. IF your NVC takes 3 months, when it does stake you will get 3X the monthly percentage.  
Activity: 127
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Are your calculations assuming that we aren't reinvesting stake?

That is correct. This is not assuming reinvestment/compounding.
Thanks for the clarification. I assumed that was the case after reading your rule #6, but I just wanted to be sure. Converting obtained stake (I guess it's okay calling them dividends, hehe) with each month into BTC would give this effect.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but with PoS, I don't recall it being a hard rule that you'll generate stake in a given time frame, just that your chances of generating a PoS block even out to what the coded return rate is throughout the given time frame. What are your thoughts on reconciling returns if it takes longer than usual?
You should also take a look at EBT if you haven't already. Could be a very good investment.

EBT is NOT a good stake opportunity.

Its stake is only 5%. It fails all of my qualifications. No one placing their BTC will EVER recover their value from stake. All it takes is one fall... Make the stake 100% yearly NVC and then maybe we'll talk.  
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
I don't understand why a coin called "HoboNickels" would be a good investment.

The name originally was targeted at itinerant workers but it has since become used to target the homeless (many of whom have mental health issues).

The name is kind of offensive really, so not the best grounding for a future.

Plus, the name effectively says the value is next to nothing anyway.

Research hobo nickels as a sculptural art form and the history behind it and you may come to a different conclusion.

That is correct. This is not assuming reinvestment/compounding.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
You should also take a look at EBT if you haven't already. Could be a very good investment.

The name originally was targeted at itinerant workers but it has since become used to target the homeless (many of whom have mental health issues).

Every name has a meaning. Hobonickel is not menat to be an offensive term, but an homage. Doing a simple google search...

The hobo nickel is a sculptural art form involving the creative modification of small-denomination coins, essentially resulting in miniature bas reliefs. The US nickel coin was favored because of its size, thickness and relative softness. However, the term hobo nickel is generic, as carvings have been made from many different denominations.

Due to its low cost and portability, this medium was particularly popular among hobos, hence the name.

HoboNickel Society - http://www.hobonickels.org/

legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Activity: 644

Main post updated with 2 possible stake portfolios...

StakeHunter Portfolios
I offer two possible portfolios for those beginning to dabble in stake. If you only had 1 BTC and wanted to "invest" in coins that provide stake, the following two portfolios would let you do so. One is High Yield and you risk capitol and return fluctuation do to coin price. The other is more conservative and it will be more price stable but the yield will be smaller.

StakeHunter Conservative Portfolio - 1BTC/80% yearly/6.7% monthly
Hobonickels - HBN - 0.25 BTC - 0.0148 BTC monthly stake
Novacoin - NVC - 0.5 BTC - 0.0188 BTC monthly stake
Philosopherstone - PHS - 0.1 BTC - 0.0042 BTC monthly stake
Tekcoin - TEK - 0.1 BTC - 0.0289 BTC monthly stake
Other - 0.05 BTC

StakeHunter High Yield Portfolio - 1BTC/131% yearly/11% monthly
Hobonickels - HBN - 0.5 BTC - 0.0296 BTC monthly stake
Novacoin - NVC - 0.1 BTC - 0.0038 BTC monthly stake
Philosopherstone - PHS - 0.1 BTC - 0.0042 BTC monthly stake
Tekcoin - TEK - 0.25 BTC - 0.0722 BTC monthly stake
Other - 0.05 BTC

As you can see, two separate ways to invest can yield two vary different returns. But these are the only ways 1BTC can be split. It all depends upon how much risk you want to assume. And what about the 0.05 BTC Other - that is for new coins and opportunities - for example Growthcoin or Fluttercoin. 
In a market completely saturated by shite, getting a dividend is not a reason to invest. Fair enough, some coins you mention are okay but I'd take my chances and just invest in BTC. I reckon my holdings (against USD) in 5 years compared to yours will be better (assuming we are not playing trade games).

You've got a good point. The market is ugly. And I'd contend just looking for capitol growth closes the door on other income opportunities. That's why I invest in dividend stocks - capitol plus dividend.   

I don't play trading game - I just invest money. And why I recommend to take profits. That is very important. I also invest in BTC stocks. Plus, I am putting money into BTC - not all my eggs in one basket.

It all depends upon adoption and awareness. But that's why I don't invest cautiously and do my homework.
Activity: 644
In a market completely saturated by shite, getting a dividend is not a reason to invest. Fair enough, some coins you mention are okay but I'd take my chances and just invest in BTC. I reckon my holdings (against USD) in 5 years compared to yours will be better (assuming we are not playing trade games).

Don't forget CGB, a child of Novacoin but further developed upon.

CGB is a gimmick coin. CGB's stake is 1% annual and it is driven by price fluctuation. A stake investor will never recoup any loss seen to price drop.

DO NOT invest in CGB for stake.
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1010
Don't forget CGB, a child of Novacoin but further developed upon.
Let me introduce you to my core stake portfolio. From the above list I have selected 4, and 4 only that I consider a core.

My criteria:
Market Cap
Stake Return
Dev team
Community

My 4 core coins are:
Hobonickels [HBN], Philsopherstone [PHS], Novacoin [NVC], and Tekcoin [TEK]

I believe any stake investor should hold these 4 coins.

Now, the ratio in which you hold them is determined by how much risk you are willing to take. It is the old risk vs. reward profile. A portfolio heavy in TEK and HBN will yield a lot more, but it will have to deal with a lot of price fluctuation and low liquidity. A NVC heavy portfolio will be stable in price and you'll have liquid assets, but your return will be lower.
Pages:
Jump to: