Pages:
Author

Topic: [Proposal] Mining Co-Op - page 10. (Read 11272 times)

Activity: 562
Merit: 506
We're going to need a bigger heatsink.
September 07, 2015, 10:35:04 PM
Just heard from a hoster, bump.

UPDATE: I've talked to a hoster that's given me a fee schedule as long as I keep their name a secret until we start the buy. I've dealt with them before, and you will know who they are before this kicks off, if this ever gets off the ground.
50KW @ $58/KW ($0.08/KWh)
100KW @ $55/KW ($0.076/KWh)

As for time frame, I'm thinking we wait and see for new miners to enter market from avalon/SP-TECH, so prices can come down to something reasonable.
September 06, 2015, 10:30:36 PM
I'd offer to handle hosting and whatnot, but I could only hold about 25KW and GND has me beat for rate.

right now gnd is best if you are usa or canada.

But if we got 50- 100 s-7's  from people on forum  had a bigger account from GND would they drop price to 7 cents?

That's the idea! The more people who are in, the lower our costs.
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
September 06, 2015, 10:07:59 PM
I'd offer to handle hosting and whatnot, but I could only hold about 25KW and GND has me beat for rate.

right now gnd is best if you are usa or canada.

But if we got 50- 100 s-7's  from people on forum  had a bigger account from GND would they drop price to 7 cents?

legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
September 06, 2015, 03:10:44 AM
September 05, 2015, 10:48:19 PM
Well, I don't trust my skills in hosting many tens/hundreds of KW of hardware, I'd rather leave that to a good hosting company. After all, we wouldn't want a repeat of the cowboyminers fire in Thailand.

I think going with GND's hosting up in labrador would be best, considering how industrial power in that area is sub $0.025 per KW/h. Their hosting rate is $0.0833 per KW/h (including tax and all other fees), and that rate drops with big contracts. There is a 5% customs duty, though, in Canada.

Personally I've had equipment with 3 different hosting companies--and I've done a fair bit of research, and I think those guys are the best option for a big group-buy.
Activity: 142
Merit: 60
September 05, 2015, 07:12:36 PM
I suggest you set up hosting yourself and eliminate one less person you need to trust, as the hoster can also be the trusted third party.  Then you need only lease a facility and host yourself.  I suggest hosting in Eastern Washington.  They have the lowest electricity rates in the country and are among the lowest in the world at $.05 per KW/h for industrial rates.  Furthermore, there is no VAT in the US, unlike most of the rest of the world--this saves you 15%-25% right off the top.  Nowhere else will you find the sweet spot with low electric rates and no VAT.  Rents on facilities are reasonable in Eastern Washington on top of this.  I was actually considering setting up a hosting site in a warehouse there but thought it too much of a hassle to maintain miners if they go offline or whatnot.
September 05, 2015, 03:06:27 PM
Thread is out of date.

Most hosting companies give pretty big discounts for bulk buyers, and you can get small bulk discounts from most hardware manufacturers. Why don't we take advantage of that in a simple, transparent way?

Updated game plan as of 2015.09.25:
  • Pool funds in a 4 of 6 multisig address with keys held by trusted members of the community.
  • Negotiate a purchase of hardware.
  • Buy the hardware and pay the hoster up front for a lengthy contract (6 months to a year).
  • Have the hardware shipped directly from the manufacturer to our hoster.
  • Mine at Kano's CKPool, enable reward splitting between addresses. Payouts go directly to participants--there's little risk here.
  • At the end of the term we can sell the hardware or renew the contract.

If we follow this plan step-by-step we only have to trust three entities: The manufacturer, the hoster, and a 4/6 vote of the "committee". After the miners have been deployed, we only have to trust the hoster (and they tend to be the most trustworthy of the three).
Feel free to discuss this below!

UPDATE: I've talked to a hoster that's given me a fee schedule as long as I keep their name a secret until we start the buy. I've dealt with them before, and you will know who they are before this kicks off, if this ever gets off the ground.
50KW @ $58/KW ($0.08/KWh)
100KW @ $55/KW ($0.076/KWh)

I've also been told by a hoster that if we can get a huge amount of hashrate, our rates can get as low as $45/KW--but that's only going to be an option in a few months. It seems like the SP50 is only going to be selling around then anyways, so the best time to buy is when that miner starts selling to the public.

Feel free to discuss this below!
Pages:
Jump to: