Pages:
Author

Topic: Putting your money where Pirate's mouth is. - page 4. (Read 73367 times)

legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
September 06, 2012, 07:32:17 PM
Most of your posts appear to be "pro-pirate". I tend to wonder why as should others here on this forum.

How was that pro-pirate?  In fact, it wasn't a comment about pirate at all, rather how someone is an op in -otc.  If it was based purely on ratings, sturles or myself would have been ops long ago.  It bothers me to see people criticize wot as being this sham of mechanism, when it isn't intended to be the be all, end all.  Its just another tool when figuring out whether you want to do business with someone. 

Where did I ever say that that particular post was "pro-pirate"?

I said most of your posts appear to be "pro-pirate".

Get your facts straight.
vip
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
September 06, 2012, 07:26:01 PM
Most of your posts appear to be "pro-pirate". I tend to wonder why as should others here on this forum.

How was that pro-pirate?  In fact, it wasn't a comment about pirate at all, rather how someone is an op in -otc.  If it was based purely on ratings, sturles or myself would have been ops long ago.  It bothers me to see people criticize wot as being this sham of mechanism, when it isn't intended to be the be all, end all.  Its just another tool when figuring out whether you want to do business with someone. 
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
September 06, 2012, 07:05:49 PM
pirate was rated highly by a bunch of other highly-rated people. everyone can see how easy it was to game that whole channel. is pirate still an op there?

As crazy as this sounds, ops aren't determined by their wot status.  There are several ops with barely any rating and others with a very high rating.  Nanotube is the sole arbiter of who gets ops and when and he tends to be slow, calculating, methodical with all of his decisions.  Just because pirate hasn't had his +o flag removed to date, doesn't mean it won't happen.  I'd suggest you talk to nanotube if its an issue for you.

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
0xFB0D8D1534241423
September 06, 2012, 06:43:41 PM
Yep. People really trust the OTC, wayyy too much. I can downrate you by the color of your skin if I wanted. What kind of a bullshit rating system is that?

Pirate's reputation is quite amusing too. He has a "+5 paid for my burger" making up for several "-1 stole my life savings and murdered my dog". No sense of proportion whatsoever. But if know the community I guess you can get a good idea. A common pattern is building reputation with small things and then "breaking bad", you can see several such users. Creating another one is just a matter of time and patience.
I gave him a -10 for "defaulted on large loan."
donator
Activity: 980
September 06, 2012, 06:38:58 PM
Yep. People really trust the OTC, wayyy too much. I can downrate you by the color of your skin if I wanted. What kind of a bullshit rating system is that?

Pirate's reputation is quite amusing too. He has a "+5 paid for my burger" making up for several "-1 stole my life savings and murdered my dog". No sense of proportion whatsoever. But if you know the community I guess you can get a good idea. A common pattern is building reputation with small things and then "breaking bad", you can see several such users. Creating another one is just a matter of time and patience.
vip
September 06, 2012, 06:34:14 PM
pirate was rated highly by a bunch of other highly-rated people. everyone can see how easy it was to game that whole channel. is pirate still an op there?

As crazy as this sounds, ops aren't determined by their wot status.  There are several ops with barely any rating and others with a very high rating.  Nanotube is the sole arbiter of who gets ops and when and he tends to be slow, calculating, methodical with all of his decisions.  Just because pirate hasn't had his +o flag removed to date, doesn't mean it won't happen.  I'd suggest you talk to nanotube if its an issue for you.
Activity: 784
0xFB0D8D1534241423
September 06, 2012, 05:04:14 PM
The WoT is next to worthless now anyway. after all, pirate had the highest rating. Is he still an op in #bitcoin-otc? lol

That's not how you use it. This ain't Ebay, there is no "global highest rating". You have to check out *who* rated people highly, and it needs more time to let trusted users make a reputation.

It's trivial to spam 50 small accounts and have them all rate someone 10. Is the resulting 500-rating worth anything? Not really. But the WoT displays much more than that, and this is very useful and should become even more useful with time. Gribble also has a feature to find out how people you trust rated someone.

Its not about the raw rating, but instead the L2 rating.  How well is the person trusted by the people you trust?

That's why you only ever use the "gettrust" command.
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
September 06, 2012, 04:22:46 PM
The WoT is next to worthless now anyway. after all, pirate had the highest rating. Is he still an op in #bitcoin-otc? lol

That's not how you use it. This ain't Ebay, there is no "global highest rating". You have to check out *who* rated people highly, and it needs more time to let trusted users make a reputation.

It's trivial to spam 50 small accounts and have them all rate someone 10. Is the resulting 500-rating worth anything? Not really. But the WoT displays much more than that, and this is very useful and should become even more useful with time. Gribble also has a feature to find out how people you trust rated someone.

Its not about the raw rating, but instead the L2 rating.  How well is the person trusted by the people you trust?

legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
rippleFanatic
September 06, 2012, 04:13:10 PM

Activity: 686
Merit: 564
September 06, 2012, 04:09:33 PM

The default rating displayed seems to be the global one. In any case, I believe that pirateat40 had positive ratings from a number of trusted members of the community including nanotube. The problem is that the fact that someone's carried out small Bitcoin-Paypal exchanges honestly doesn't mean they're trustworthy to handle a 500,000 BTC investment that looks strangely like a Ponzi. I believe various Silk Road customers may also have discovered this problem with ratings the hard way.
vip
September 06, 2012, 04:06:57 PM

legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002
September 06, 2012, 03:34:34 PM

legendary
Merit: 1001
rippleFanatic
September 06, 2012, 02:25:24 PM
Happy days, is Vandroiy already in control of his well-deserved earnings?

No, nanotube says he currently has no access to his offline wallet. Give him some time, I doubt he'd dump the WoT over 10k BTC. Wink

vip
September 06, 2012, 12:22:06 PM
You've got 5000 BTC coming to you and you're "worried" about 250BTC? That's....umm

So basically he trusts Nanotube with 5000 btc more than you with 250 btc..  Shocked
September 06, 2012, 11:45:06 AM

No, nanotube says he currently has no access to his offline wallet. Give him some time, I doubt he'd dump the WoT over 10k BTC. Wink

I'm more worried about _matthew_'s (Matthew's?) payment though. The bet with hgmichna does not run up to the 9th, but ended with nanotube's decision on this bet. Now, does he not have access to 250 BTC, or is he not paying "just because"? Both those explanations don't sound very reassuring given that he has a lot of bets timing out soon.

You've got 5000 BTC coming to you and you're "worried" about 250BTC? That's....umm
September 06, 2012, 11:42:16 AM
Considering I don't know you -at all- I would say most know me better lol

I am certainly hoping that you have a good reputation and want to keep it. Smiley
I have a reputation as a troll first and foremost.
Sounds a lot like "never trust a pirate"  Shocked

You can trust a pirate to pirate. Just as you can trust a thief to steal and a troll to troll. It's not whether or not they are a trustworthy person, but if you are smart enough to expect the right things from them.
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002
September 06, 2012, 11:19:54 AM

I'm more worried about _matthew_'s (Matthew's?) payment though. The bet with hgmichna does not run up to the 9th, but ended with nanotube's decision on this bet. Now, does he not have access to 250 BTC, or is he not paying "just because"? Both those explanations don't sound very reassuring given that he has a lot of bets timing out soon.
Activity: 560
I am the one who knocks
September 06, 2012, 09:01:47 AM
Considering I don't know you -at all- I would say most know me better lol

I am certainly hoping that you have a good reputation and want to keep it. Smiley
I have a reputation as a troll first and foremost.
Sounds a lot like "never trust a pirate"  Shocked
September 06, 2012, 03:45:20 AM
...when he will have paid out...
Now where have I heard that before?

Second verse same as the first.

Ha---llelujah! Ha---llelujah! Hallelujah. Hallelujah. Halle----lujah!!!!
Activity: 169
Merit: 100
Firstbits : 1Hannes
September 06, 2012, 03:44:09 AM
...when he will have paid out...
Now where have I heard that before?

Second verse same as the first.
Pages:
Jump to: