Pages:
Author

Topic: Putting your money where Pirate's mouth is. - page 10. (Read 73367 times)

zyk
Activity: 224
Merit: 101
Telling people to put their money where their mouth is is not pressuring them to gamble, it's pressuring them to stop being a douche.

Matthew, do you still want to bet that pirate will pay back his debt? I can't believe this, but if you really want, I'll bet.

Let's use the Vandroiy bet terms. They are well thought out and have been finely honed over the course of a week, if I remember that correctly. If Vandroiy wins his BTC5,000, then you will pay me. If Vandroiy loses, I will pay you. I think that is a fair offer, and I also think that everybody here will recognize it as one.

How much do you want to enter? Anybody else joining in? Unlikely, but the world (not to mention myself) is probably better off if anybody who believes that the pirate is an honest man loses his money.

I appreciate that some here tried to be protective against pressuring somebody into a bet (thanks!), but in my personal case there is no problem, because I think that bets can be useful tools to either stop people spouting nonsense or uncover that they are not serious and don't really mean what they say.

Would you bet with me? I give you 200BTC if he doesn't pay, and you give me 100BTC if he pays. What do you say?

(i'm dead serious)

I take this one as dead serious and offer the 100 if Vandroi looses........put up or not so serious anymore??

Cheers Zyk
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
Every day, Pirate is losing the value of this bet, BTC5000, to additional interest he has promised lenders, assuming his total obligations are BTC500k.
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
I am the one who knocks
… use the Vandroiy bet conditions, because they are clearly laid out and fine-tuned. If Vandroiy wins his BTC5,000, you pay me, if Vandroiy loses, I pay you. …

I accept your conditions. I'm betting 10,000BTC already in another thread however, although at the moment of writing this, 4995.89114457 BTC has been bet leaving me with 5004.10885543 BTC left to bet with. Name your bet please.

Let's leave it at BTC250 then. That's about my limit without escrow.

This is my offer. If you accept it, we have a deal.

Agreed. For my own accounting purposes I will add it to the same spreadsheet as I use for other betters of the betting thread, but I concede publicly that it is in fact a separate bet entirely and an exact mimc of the strict guidelines in Vandroiy and Pirate's bet. Good luck!
Witnessed
Activity: 695
That's ok, go ahead Smiley  Luckily for me, I've not once denied that this whole thing could be a ponzi, not have I ever attempted to convince anyone to join it.  I've merely stated that what a person does with their own money is their own business.

You, on the other hand, have been extremely vocal about this being a ponzi, without a doubt, so the onus is indeed on you to now prove your convictions.

You now have, so good for you.  

I think the conviction counts for little, as you can see here all around. People have all kinds of more or less crazy convictions.

Surely it is good if somebody stands by his conviction and not just spouts stuff he himself does not value higher than nonsense. This is where a bet helps.

But the really interesting question is whether somebody is able to see the truth through the fog. 50-50 does not count. Interestingly, the people who are able to do that are often less sure of themselves, because they also know their own limits.

To recognize a picture-book Ponzi scheme, however, should not really be tasking the brain.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Telling people to put their money where their mouth is is not pressuring them to gamble, it's pressuring them to stop being a douche.

Matthew, do you still want to bet that pirate will pay back his debt? I can't believe this, but if you really want, I'll bet.

Finally.

I would like a bet with you particularly. The cleanest way is to use the Vandroiy bet conditions, because they are clearly laid out and fine-tuned. If Vandroiy wins his BTC5,000, you pay me, if Vandroiy loses, I pay you.

How much is your opinion worth? Let's say, BTC250? Or do you want it higher? Since you are so very keen on my bet, I am sure you will agree.

Howdy,

No thanks, I already have a bet with Dust, and that's more than really want to risk considering I'm only 50-50 on the outcome.    Luckily for you, Matt already has a whole giant thread with almost 5000BTC worth of other people who think just like you do.  I'm sure you'll be fine putting your money into that.   Looking forward to seeing you in that thread.

You are lucky to have an eloquent excuse, because otherwise you would probably have heard some nasty comments about brain fitting in mouth or some such.

That's ok, go ahead Smiley  Luckily for me, I've not once denied that this whole thing could be a ponzi, not have I ever attempted to convince anyone to join it.  I've merely stated that what a person does with their own money is their own business.

You, on the other hand, have been extremely vocal about this being a ponzi, without a doubt, so the onus is indeed on you to now prove your convictions.

You now have, so good for you.  
… use the Vandroiy bet conditions, because they are clearly laid out and fine-tuned. If Vandroiy wins his BTC5,000, you pay me, if Vandroiy loses, I pay you. …

I accept your conditions. I'm betting 10,000BTC already in another thread however, although at the moment of writing this, 4995.89114457 BTC has been bet leaving me with 5004.10885543 BTC left to bet with. Name your bet please.

Agreed. For my own accounting purposes I will add it to the same spreadsheet as I use for other betters of the betting thread, but I concede publicly that it is in fact a separate bet entirely and an exact mimc of the strict guidelines in Vandroiy and Pirate's bet. Good luck!

Deal. Thanks!

One day you should explain why you made such new bets in this situation.
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

Finally.

I would like a bet with you particularly. The cleanest way is to use the Vandroiy bet conditions, because they are clearly laid out and fine-tuned. If Vandroiy wins his BTC5,000, you pay me, if Vandroiy loses, I pay you.

How much is your opinion worth? Let's say, BTC250? Or do you want it higher? Since you are so very keen on my bet, I am sure you will agree.

Howdy,

No thanks, I already have a bet with Dust, and that's more than really want to risk considering I'm only 50-50 on the outcome.    Luckily for you, Matt already has a whole giant thread with almost 5000BTC worth of other people who think just like you do.  I'm sure you'll be fine putting your money into that.   Looking forward to seeing you in that thread.

You are lucky to have an eloquent excuse, because otherwise you would probably have heard some nasty comments about brain fitting in mouth or some such.
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

Finally.

Finally.

Howdy,

No thanks, I already have a bet with Dust, and that's more than really want to risk considering I'm only 50-50 on the outcome.    Luckily for you, Matt already has a whole giant thread with almost 5000BTC worth of other people who think just like you do.  I'm sure you'll be fine putting your money into that.   Looking forward to seeing you in that thread.

Finally.

Finally.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

Let's use the Vandroiy bet terms. They are well thought out and have been finely honed over the course of a week, if I remember that correctly. If Vandroiy wins his BTC5,000, then you will pay me. If Vandroiy loses, I will pay you. I think that is a fair offer, and I also think that everybody here will recognize it as one.

How much do you want to enter? Anybody else joining in? Unlikely, but the world (not to mention myself) is probably better off if anybody who believes that the pirate is an honest man loses his money.

I appreciate that some here tried to be protective against pressuring somebody into a bet (thanks!), but in my personal case there is no problem, because I think that bets can be useful tools to either stop people spouting nonsense or uncover that they are not serious and don't really mean what they say.

Would you bet with me? I give you 200BTC if he doesn't pay, and you give me 100BTC if he pays. What do you say?

(i'm dead serious)

legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1333
If I had 20k BTC in a Bitcoin Max account, I either end up with 20k BTC if pirate pays out, or 0 BTC if pirate defaults.

Apparently I could sell it for 70% of its value.  That's what people are paying for them.  So I could sell it for 14k BTC.

If I then took 10k BTC worth of bets at 100% (x2) evens 100% ROI like Matthew is trying to do, I would end up with 14+10k = 24k BTC if pirate pays out or 14-10k = 4k BTC if pirate defaults.

Either way I end up with 4k BTC more than if I hadn't sold my account and made the bets.
rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
Yes exactly. theft can be of any asset of value, even bitcoins. Lack of research does not mitigate the crime of theft. If Pirate does not return people's money in a reasonable amount of time then he should be prosecuted for theft and fraud. Contacting the District Attorney is definitely the right thing to do. I would recommend have a few spokesperson's and gathering as many names as you can for submission to the DA's office. If nothing else it may create a little pressure on pirate to speed up the refunds if he really intends to do so. If not the sooner action is taken the sooner the damage can be mitigated before the coins are cashed out and Pirate is sipping rum on beach, located in a country without extradition to the US.

You couldn't even get a scummy debt collector to touch this until 30 days have passed. 
vip
Activity: 574
Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.
Yes exactly. theft can be of any asset of value, even bitcoins. Lack of research does not mitigate the crime of theft. If Pirate does not return people's money in a reasonable amount of time then he should be prosecuted for theft and fraud. Contacting the District Attorney is definitely the right thing to do. I would recommend have a few spokesperson's and gathering as many names as you can for submission to the DA's office. If nothing else it may create a little pressure on pirate to speed up the refunds if he really intends to do so. If not the sooner action is taken the sooner the damage can be mitigated before the coins are cashed out and Pirate is sipping rum on beach, located in a country without extradition to the US.

You couldn't even get a scummy debt collector to touch this until 30 days have passed. 
Activity: 630
If you lost money in pirate's ponzi scheme, you can contact the Collin County District Attorney Special Prosecution Division. They deal with financial fraud. Pirate (aka pirateat40) is

google infos

Nice job, you know how to use Google. woo

?

And you know English! What's your point?

You're going to call the DA and say what exactly?  "I gave this guy I don't know that I met on the internet a bunch of electronic 'money' and he has been paying me interest.  Over the weekend he announced he was closing.  I think his high rate of return and refusal to reveal his business to me makes him a ponzi but I have no proof.  I know I didn't bother to research before sending him the 'money', but I care now. kthnxbye"

If we all stick to this script and call now, he will have dozens of voice mails FORCING him to pay attention when he comes to work tomorrow morning.

Activity: 560
I am the one who knocks
It's not that difficult:

"There is a guy named Trendon Shavers, who lives in McKinney Texas, that has been running a ponzi scheme since November (or whenever it was). The scheme has finally collapsed, and his has bilked his investors out of around $5 million."

You don't have any sympathy for the people he ripped off, and that's ok. But he has (allegedly) committed a serious crime. People don't need proof to file a complaint. They just need to make the D.A. aware of it, and he will find the proof (if there is any).

They'll ask you how you sent the funds.  You'll say bitcoin. They'll say what? You'll have to prove value.  Then you have to prove you actually sent it.  Then he spends all this time researching and by the time he gets around to it, pirate's already paid people back.  They don't take kindly when you stretch the facts. 
They you have to pay taxes on the bitcoins you do still own (because now you were so helpful to prove the value to the gov'ment)
Pages:
Jump to: