Pages:
Author

Topic: [REFUND PROCESSING COMPLETED] K1 Nanos - Big Picture Mining Cooperative - page 8. (Read 30757 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 501
Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Further update on the 2.0 vs 3.0 USB and the K1 particularly the reference that BKKCoins made ' -specify an alternate reg and inductor allowing 3A power (not for USB 2.0 ports)'

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2753267

I asked: "There have been a number of questions regarding the (not for USB 2.0 ports) reference BKKCoins. Can you explain in a bit more detail, only if you have the time, about this reference? Pardon my ignorance I just want to make sure people are clear about the reference."

A USB 2.0 port only needs to provide a max. of 500mA @ 5V. And sometimes they cannot do even that if all ports are drawing near max.  Good USB hubs like the Anker ones provide enough juice that you may be able to draw more, but it's beyond spec. USB 3.0 hubs seem to be better as their spec has a max of 900mA. Some ports can provide more when operating as battery charger mode, but aren't required to when operating as data ports. And then you have issues regarding the RasPi not working with 3.0 hubs, and cgminer having problems on RasPi with running multiple devices at once. So there is many factors to determine what you can actually do, or get away with, beyond what "should" work. Some threads on this forum discuss these issues but I haven't kept abreast of the latest details.

I've been running on RasPi for a couple days non-stop at 330MHz with around 0.6% errors, and no issues at all. I'll be boosting to 340 soon to see how that works. I'm waiting for the new boards to do a full-populate and test. I'll not solder the ASICs by hand this time so it will be all 16 at once in the oven.
Thanks for the quick reply.  When you get them with heatsinks and weigh them please let me know.
I'll keep an eye out here anyway.

The will be very much like this...

and dimensions are smaller now then when I calculated the weight before. Heat sink 32mm x 25mm x 10mm. If you want I bet you can do the calculation pretty easily.

If you note above we have set the numbers of K1s per Kg as well as based on the space available and the minimum weight that DHL calculates. So I doubt the numbers for the K1s in the packaging will change based on slight weight variations I calculated. The best per unit shipping cost is for 500 K1s... so get your friends into a group buy and split that cost.
legendary
Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004
Thanks for the quick reply.  When you get them with heatsinks and weigh them please let me know.
I'll keep an eye out here anyway.
Can you tell me what the weight of one K1 is and where they would be shipping from to get to the US?
Thanks!

My guestimate... based on the density of Aluminum was that the boards are under 100 grams...but I have never weighed one with a heat sink so we overestimated just in case. We will have the board, heat sinks and a small plastic facia put on the K1 Nanos with our logo. But yes I think 100 grams.

Batam, Indonesia to the US of A.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Batam+Indonesia&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x31d9bce8c054ce05:0x3039d80b220cbb0,Batam,+Riau+Islands,+Republic+of+Indonesia&ei=sALnUeW3G8iHrgfQi4CABw&ved=0CNYBELYD

Two of our members in the COOP live in Batam and are only minutes from the fabricator.

​PT Venturindo Jaya Batam (VJB) was established in 1993, with their main production area spanning 6,800 square metres or 68,000 square feet.

They are an Electronics Manufacturing Services (EMS) company that provides a comprehensive "One-Stop" EMS solution, in preparation to fill an unmet need for the Multi-National Companies (MNC) both in Batam-Indonesia and the region.

legendary
Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004
Can you tell me what the weight of one K1 is and where they would be shipping from to get to the US?
Thanks!
No shipping prices as of yet have been added to the site. We are able to ship worldwide.

We have only rough numbers from DHL at this time and will likely change. We have a few COOP members from Canada, US and others in Batam working on getting finalized information from DHL, unfortunately taking longer to get that up on the site than we would like. For now here are the rough numbers based on Batam DHL offices. My apologies for my lack of skill setting the table properly.

Cost of Express International Shipping from Batam, Indonesia - USD (boards include heatsink)                                                                                                                                         

Code:
                  1Kg = 10K1's            5Kg = 50K1's              10Kg = 100K1's           50Kg = 500K1's

Jakarta                  8.03                  18.26                  31.04                       133.27
Auz/NZ             60.65                 253.02                 434.47                      1437.47
Thailand           52.02                 203.67                 354.35                      1285.20
Central Europe          69.95                 283.89                 486.77                      1713.61
Central USA     69.56                 283.32                 480.11                      1700.02
Canada             69.56                 283.32                 354.35                      1285.20

We are getting quotes for similar bundles using: Indonesia POS International Express Parcel service, will update later.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
.. although we are still working on the details for the shipping.

what's up with that?  no shipping to US?
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2748156

Latest notes about K1 Revisions... we are waiting patiently for his tests of these revisions for next week.

I haven't updated the K1 files yet. The new board revision will use the 2G02 but it's not pin compatible so you can't place that on the old board.

Here's a brief list of changes I'm doing for the K1:

- replace NOR gate with DUAL NOR gate
- add Schmitt inverter package
- chg PIC to QFN
- add thermistor for temperature sensing
- add 2 holes for mounting a heat sink
- Make both LEDs flashable (tied to PIC pins)
- make I2C non-thru hole SMD header type pads
- use 2mm board thickness for USB compatibility
- specify an alternate reg and inductor allowing 3A power (not for USB 2.0 ports)

I'm part way thru this now but have been sidetracked today by work on the web store (which is up now but not tested yet). Yay!

Note: Our website is ready to take payments in BTC... although we are still working on the details for the shipping.
Moving forward...

The website should be live tomorrow. As always we are keen to supply larger numbers of K1s to groups or coops. Drop me a PM or an email.
You could we have already done that over and over again with 15 people.

Again what I said holds a lot of value.

Get a group together and make our COOP an offer we can't refuse you might find that all your negativity constructive armchair pricing has little merit given you are actually interested in buying in numbers. So point blank, how many do you want? If you don't want any xyzzy099 then time to move along. Asked and answered your concerns and have given you every opportunity to make an offer. I take it you are not interested in buying K1s in bulk. If you want some in future and are serious about larger numbers for better prices then please contact me directly via email.
legendary
Activity: 1063
Merit: 1048
I agreed with your point.

I value your point.

I just think there is a lot more value in supporting these units over "proven" ones especially given the effort put into giving away everything as open source.

If you had priced these at (cost + reasonable profit + royalty to BKK) I would agree with you, but you guys have chosen to go for the gold.

This is where we disagree particularly when you have little or no frame of reference of the costs both in components shipped to the fabricator, the time and resources allocated by the members of the cooperative to get to this point. Again we priced according to the market and offer much lower costs than block erupters. Buy 50 with others in a group buy problem solved. Heck get hundreds and you might even see a bigger savings. Yes so let us leave it there given you wouldn't want to speculate and you have already wished us luck.

Let me leave off with again. Feel free to source your K1 components, Avalon chips and order some K1 boards and DIY that is the best solution for the DIYer.

You're right.  I have no idea how much money and effort you may have wasted in your endeavors, nor do I feel any obligation to help you recoup them.

I COULD speculate somewhat on what the costs might be to a well-run organization that might compete with you, but I won't have to, as the market is already working on that, and competing prices will be the proof sooner than you probably anticipate.

I value your point.

I just think there is a lot more value in supporting these units over "proven" ones especially given the effort put into giving away everything as open source.

If you had priced these at (cost + reasonable profit + royalty to BKK) I would agree with you, but you guys have chosen to go for the gold.

This is where we disagree particularly when you have little or no frame of reference of the costs both in components shipped to the fabricator, the time and resources allocated by the members of the cooperative to get to this point. Again we priced according to the market and offer much lower costs than block erupters. Buy 50 with others in a group buy problem solved. Heck get hundreds and you might even see a bigger savings. Yes so let us leave it there given you wouldn't want to speculate and you have already wished us luck. Also I might be pricing a bit higher just recoup the 4 heatsinks, the IR gun and the Bitcoin I personally donated to BKKCoins for the the scope to aid the development... lol then again I must be just digging for gold right?

Let me leave off with a plea to the DIYers again. Feel free to source your K1 components, Avalon chips and order some K1 boards and DIY that is the best ROI solution for anyone. There is a whole thread for that very reason. Oh look who the OP is: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2392400 Funny I thought he was going for the gold? Why would he tell people build their own and consolidate multiple threads to make it easier for the community to get the information?

All kidding aside we priced pretty much so that people will join together and buy in much larger quantities. Feel free to start a group buy... that is what I would do if I were you.
legendary

I value your point.

I agreed with your point as it is "unproven" but no it is not overpriced. We are offering lower prices for group buys as we said. If you want 1 K1 Nano and do not want to pay that price. Get one chip, get a board and diy. I believe that is a great idea so much so a few K1s will be featured in my schools curriculum and the middle school students will be building these K1s. That is available check that out if you want a much better ROI. We are offering fabricated, tested, burned in, packaged units shipped worldwide.

I value your point but I don't agree the K1 should considered something of a lesser product especially how we hope to get our version to market. We are keen on having something that could overclock as well... we will see given the latest post by BKK it is possible to do just that with some minor component changes.  

I just think there is a lot more value in supporting these units over "proven" ones especially given the effort put into giving away everything as open source hardware and the software as well, that is something that has a lot more value beyond the ROI. It will help the community fund more of these projects. We are looking beyond the K1 to other projects as well but let us support the DIY developers. Alten, Burnin and BKKCoins. Our K1s are just one offering there are many others.
legendary
http://bigpicturemining.com/  <--- still not ready for orders as we are trying to get accurate numbers on the shipping from Batam via DHL. In the meanwhile you can have a look around the site for now.

perhaps this is another dumb question, but is pricing of 0,99 BTC final?

Price: BTC0.99 1-9
10 or more BTC0.89
50 or more BTC0.79

Also no it is not the highest price we could have chosen. We are trying to price these to compete with asicminer

The Asicminer design is a proven design.  This board is not.

As a confirmed Capitalist, I believe that you should charge whatever the market will bear; however, if I have a choice between a proven device like a Block Erupter, and an experimental device like this at the exact same price, I will go with the more market-proven device every time.

Good luck with your sales.

Once bkkcoins complete testing in 3-4 days the k1 will also be a proven design and if you buy the k1 in a group buy you can pay 0.79 per k1 instead of 0.99-1.10 for a asicminer device that gets hotter has a horrible heatsink and has a higher hw error%.

There is a world of difference between passing initial prototype testing, and being widely market-tested.

I sincerely hope the K1 turns out to be a better device than the BE, but I have no reason to believe it is at the moment, and neither do you.

Sounds like a bet... go post it.

We have the confidence that the K1 Nano will be a functional unit and it will easily equal the Block Erupter.

Will we be right? Given the testing that has been done and is being done we feel pretty confident with these units.

So again yes .99 BTC seems to be a fair price for a few units.

And we have opted to given larger breaks for those wishing to purchase larger volume.

No technology being sold can be considered at the same level or quality as say an Apple or a Sony so basically you have to put your faith, hopefully educated faith, on these people developing the units.

I would say Asicminer, Avalon are proven.

Avalon chips are proven.

Will the K1 Nano we fabricate reach that level? Maybe given the work you are seeing out of BKKCoins. I think anyone in the community with technical skills is quite comfortable backing BKKCoins and his units. Not seen any negatives directed at his approach and I take that as a sign that his design will work first time out of the gate.

But your definitely correct it is "unproven".

The only point I am trying to make is that this board is overpriced in the current market context.

Anyone interested at all in ROI will have already noticed that they can get 16x hashrate of a K1 for ~2x your price in a K16 from Terrahash and many others.  The only reason ASICMiner has been able to sell the BEs at this price point was because it was the only game in town for most people - but that all ends now.

Additionally, this board can (and therefore will) be produced and sold profitably at a considerably lower price point.  Maybe you can make a few BTC by being first to market.

In any case, that's all I have to say on this.  Good luck.
http://bigpicturemining.com/  <--- still not ready for orders as we are trying to get accurate numbers on the shipping from Batam via DHL. In the meanwhile you can have a look around the site for now.

10 or more BTC0.89
50 or more BTC0.79

Also no it is not the highest price we could have chosen. We are trying to price these to compete with asicminer

The Asicminer design is a proven design.  This board is not.

As a confirmed Capitalist, I believe that you should charge whatever the market will bear; however, if I have a choice between a proven device like a Block Erupter, and an experimental device like this at the exact same price, I will go with the more market-proven device every time.

Once bkkcoins complete testing in 3-4 days the k1 will also be a proven design and if you buy the k1 in a group buy you can pay 0.79 per k1 instead of 0.99-1.10 for a asicminer device that gets hotter has a horrible heatsink and has a higher hw error%.

There is a world of difference between passing initial prototype testing, and being widely market-tested.

I sincerely hope the K1 turns out to be a better device than the BE, but I have no reason to believe it is at the moment, and neither do you.

Sounds like a bet... go post it.

We have the confidence that the K1 Nano will be a functional unit and it will easily equal the Block Erupter.

Will we be right? Given the testing that has been done and is being done we feel pretty confident with these units.

So again yes .99 BTC seems to be a fair price for a few units.

And we have opted to give larger discounts as it were for those wishing to purchase larger volumes.

No technology being sold can be considered at the same level or quality as say an Apple or a Sony so basically you have to put your faith, hopefully educated faith, on these people developing the units.

I would say Asicminer, Avalon are proven.

Avalon chips are proven.

Will the K1 Nano we fabricate reach that level? Maybe given the work you are seeing out of BKKCoins. I think anyone in the community with technical skills is quite comfortable backing BKKCoins and his units. Not seen any negatives directed at his approach and I take that as a sign that his design will work first time out of the gate.

But your definitely correct it is "unproven" however it has VALUE even if it is unproven. It is a risk as is any purchase of an Erupter or K16 or say BitBurner XX or Alten's offering. But you know what we as a COOP really want to put our backing behind a guy who has literally put out a free design for the community. We want to support that. That to us is the intangible. Maybe crazy to put your money into a K1 Nano but you know what given how open the design process has been there is a lot more VALUE in supporting a K1 that is "unproven" merely to show respect the developer, but more so to say as community YES we support your efforts and we want more designs to be open source.
legendary

10 or more BTC0.89
50 or more BTC0.79

Activity: 630
Merit: 501
Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.

10 or more BTC0.89
50 or more BTC0.79

Pages:
Jump to: