Pages:
Author

Topic: Religious beliefs on bitcoin - page 19. (Read 22398 times)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500
May 31, 2013, 08:54:23 AM
Religion as well as science are based in reason. The truth stands out clearly from falsehood.

You are confused. Religion is the absence of reason.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001
May 31, 2013, 07:49:57 AM
I have no doubt that Hitler wanted to seem Christian, but actions speak louder than words. But, in case that's not enough, here's some words too:

"I'll make these damned parsons feel the power of the state in a way they would have never believed possible. For the moment, I am just keeping my eye upon them: if I ever have the slightest suspicion that they are getting dangerous, I will shoot the lot of them. This filthy reptile raises its head whenever there is a sign of weakness in the State, and therefore it must be stamped on. We have no sort of use for a fairy story invented by the Jews."

WTF.

What has this to do with anything?

In case you are trying to say that Hitler was an atheist, even if he was. So what? Atheist are not a group.

Unless you are trying to say not belonging to a group makes you a group as well. Hitler also didn't collect post stamps, so that not post stamp collectors hobbies is a really bad thing, or what?

In addition, Hitler declared Nazism the state religion and the Bible was replaced by Mein Kampf in the schools.

Now you are just making stuff up.

And religions indoctrination, no matter which, should have no say in schools anyway.

The bible belongs in schools the same as the necronomicon. Personal believe system (personal choice) are not something that should be teached by using state funds.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
Capitalism is the crisis.
May 31, 2013, 02:22:27 AM
I was a post-atheist, progressive, Taoist, channelling, divining, manifesting OOB junky and was delivered in one day.

If you were a Taoist, channeling, divining, and manifesting (no idea what OOB is), then you were never an atheist. You simply exchanged one brand of bullshit for another.

Not how I see it, but fair enough, you kinda had to be there. I'm confident that if I could write a long enough book I could demonstrate just how seemingly logical of a progression it was. That stuff is a lie, but also just real enough to be incredibly dangerous.

ktttn, I'll prayerfully ponder whether there's anything more I can say or do to express the deepest sense of truth and joy I've found in Christ, hoping to maybe somehow kindle your hope.  AB&C are the textbook hangups for satanists, but you're likewise one of the least abrasive and most grounded ones I've encountered.  Not to flatter, but its true. And I'm no intellectual rockstar (you should meet my pastor), just walked enough hot coals to appreciate the soothing water I find holding me up as I walk with my saviour. Also I find nothing patriarchal in that I am a part of the bride of Christ.
I need to be more abraisive. My attempts to scrub the jesus off you haven't succeeded yet.
More fucking cursewords?  Bigger flames?
EDIT: I will consentually mouthfuck your pastor with my 14" studded strap-on until he quits his job and becomes a buddhist monk.
Christian nuttery is more dangerous than Taoism or manifestig.
You need to re read some marx dawkins or lavey, or at least a list of atheists.
May 31, 2013, 02:14:22 AM

I questioned why he had allowed me to go through some horrible things as a very young child.  One day I cried out to Him for help and he showed me that he pained by the abuse too.

If he ever tells you why he allowed for your abuse to happen despite it paining him, and what his plan with all that was, please let us know.

Good question.  I think the fact that I felt God

WAIT... WAIT! NOW HOLDYERHORSES SLOW DOWN TH-
show me that He was sad

Activity: 70
Merit: 10
May 31, 2013, 01:40:13 AM
Ok, just typed up a post, and lost it Sad

Here goes again:

I have no doubt that Hitler wanted to seem Christian, but actions speak louder than words. But, in case that's not enough, here's some words too:

"I'll make these damned parsons feel the power of the state in a way they would have never believed possible. For the moment, I am just keeping my eye upon them: if I ever have the slightest suspicion that they are getting dangerous, I will shoot the lot of them. This filthy reptile raises its head whenever there is a sign of weakness in the State, and therefore it must be stamped on. We have no sort of use for a fairy story invented by the Jews."

In addition, Hitler declared Nazism the state religion and the Bible was replaced by Mein Kampf in the schools.

Moral relativism:
The uncle wishes to continue the rest of his (2 year) life in pain, while making everyone miserable at the same time. Is it morally wrong to kill him, and on what basis?

Religion was invented to justify and legitimize child abuse.
Child abuse does not need religion to continue, the bible certainly does not legitimize child abuse in any way.
Activity: 220
Getting too old for all this.
May 31, 2013, 01:19:58 AM
I was a post-atheist, progressive, Taoist, channelling, divining, manifesting OOB junky and was delivered in one day.

If you were a Taoist, channeling, divining, and manifesting (no idea what OOB is), then you were never an atheist. You simply exchanged one brand of bullshit for another.

Not how I see it, but fair enough, you kinda had to be there. I'm confident that if I could write a long enough book I could demonstrate just how seemingly logical of a progression it was. That stuff is a lie, but also just real enough to be incredibly dangerous.

ktttn, I'll prayerfully ponder whether there's anything more I can say or do to express the deepest sense of truth and joy I've found in Christ, hoping to maybe somehow kindle your hope.  AB&C are the textbook hangups for satanists, but you're likewise one of the least abrasive and most grounded ones I've encountered.  Not to flatter, but its true. And I'm no intellectual rockstar (you should meet my pastor), just walked enough hot coals to appreciate the soothing water I find holding me up as I walk with my saviour. Also I find nothing patriarchal in that I am a part of the bride of Christ.
legendary
Activity: 1148
May 31, 2013, 01:19:41 AM

I questioned why he had allowed me to go through some horrible things as a very young child.  One day I cried out to Him for help and he showed me that he pained by the abuse too.

If he ever tells you why he allowed for your abuse to happen despite it paining him, and what his plan with all that was, please let us know.

Good question.  I think the fact that I felt God show me that He was sad about the abuse was enough for me to understand that even though I might be hurt by people in this life, God really does care.  Could God have intervened and kept the guy from abusing me?  I question that and I still often why He did not do that at the time.  But perhaps He was giving the guy a chance to repent of his sins?  God is patient, more so than I will ever be.  He gives us all the ability to choose each day if we are going to love or hurt each other. It is out gift of "free will" and we abuse it sometimes in the choices we make.

In spite of that I have learned many things through the experience.  I have been able to help others that have gone through similar things.  I have a faith that is strengthened because I know that God will help me through anything I have to go through.  I had a pastor once say,  "This life is the closest to hell we will ever be."  That is comforting a strange way.  I know that could start a whole different debate on hell.  But as a Christian, with my world view, it makes sense to me that we are going to suffer on this earth but it is a short lived time when thinking of Eternity.  
May 31, 2013, 01:07:46 AM
Good cop / bad cop?
Am I imagining things or can this work?
legendary
May 31, 2013, 01:04:51 AM
Trust me when I tell you that it is not very popular to be a Christian anymore it seems so I would not think anyone would "fake it" to "fit in."

Are you fucking kidding me?! You only have something like 80% of the US population, all the prior and current presidents, 98% of the politicians, most of the news reporters, most of the school teachers and administrators... This country is steeped in religion/Christianity. Christmas decorations go up in October, all the religious holidays are very overtly celebrated, it's unthinkable for the president to not do any prayer or religious type of ceremony, those who point out that religious icons on public property are unconstitutional get persecuted and receive death threats... Atheists are the ones who are not very popular. Watch any news reporter interviewing an atheist. It's as if they are interviewing some weirdo with cancer.

Perhaps you are right. I guess my feeling is that many people call themselves Christian in this country but just because they say they are does not mean they actually live it like they should so I often questions those numbers. 

That said, I do feel like there is a movement towards Christianity being less accepted, or popular, in our society than it used to be.  This is my own perception of course. 
legendary
May 31, 2013, 12:56:47 AM

Neurobox and BitChick are both badass intelligent rockstars IMO. Sort of. K I'll give them head n shoulders above most theists.
Christians can be great people sometimes. That post was directed at the whole thread.
I still have a monsterous, overwhelming frustration with ABC) in my last post, and hope some of the assertions take root as true somewhere subcon.
That hope doesn't detract from how much I appreciate the hell out of those two people's semi faned consideration.

Thanks Ktttn. This means alot.  Seriously.  Smiley

It is cool to be able to debate in a healthy respectful way.  Hopefully I am able to.  Sometimes I probably say things that tick people off, but I really am not trying to.  
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
May 31, 2013, 12:11:48 AM
I think most people have a difficult and painful childhood. I'm pretty sure most end up healing without the help of a religion. I know I didn't need it. On the contrary, I only started to heal when I realized it was a crutch that I didn't need, and that was used to beat me down. Rejecting god, and then coming to realize that it's all nothing but a fairy tale was the best thing that has ever happened to me, and I have been happy ever since!
Religion was invented to justify and legitimize child abuse.

God is nothing more than the ultimate hypocritical, petty, narcissistic, abusive parent. Bad parents like to hold their children accountable to rules they violate with impunity themselves, so they invented an imaginary being who does the same thing and then tell their children that kind of behavior represents the highest moral good. He also serves as a convenient scapegoat: "It's not that I'm just an immature asshole who likes to punish people smaller than myself because I can - the divine creator of universe and the source of all that is good told me to do it!"
May 30, 2013, 11:49:39 PM
However I am invoking Godwin's Law, in the case that a bunch of people get together and decide that the earth would be a better place by wiping out the Jews (because they thought the Jews were destroying Germany) what right would you have to tell them they're wrong?

Science that says Jews are no different from any other people, and that there is no evidence that they are destroying Germany? Hitler was a devout Christian and believed in some f'ed up prophesy and BS, so it was easy for him to believe in other ignorant and hateful things. Thus, it was easy for him to believe unsubstantiated stuff like "Jews are destroying Germany."

Also, second argument, an argument against utilitarianism:
Suppose you have an uncle who owns a business, and has many workers for him. Your uncle has developed a terrible disease which causes him much pain, yet he continues along with his job, instead of listening to doctors. Because of his condition he is very miserable, and so makes all his workers miserable as well. You know that once your uncle dies you will inherit a large fortune, as well as the company, so you could improve the workers' lives.

The most logical choice you decide, is to attempt to kill your uncle, after all, you empathize with his pain. If you were in such pain, a terminal illness at that, wouldn't you want an easy way out? Not only would you be improving your uncle's life, but all the workers', and as well as your's as per the inheritance.

The above would be completely moral by your view.

If death was the uncle's wish, then yes, it would be moral to help him do what he has asked for, since he owns his life and is the only one who can decide what to do with it. If you kill him despite him wanting to continue to work and live his life, then that's not moral, not by the bible's standards, and not by any other set of ethics (including atheist).
Just taking this oppurtunity to clarify that Naziism is its own distinct religion, somewhat informed by norse and roman paganism, highly catholic, and entirely enamored with the state.
Also to mention that Tekkna is confirmed for super batshit insane ignorebuttonbaitcorefodder.

Trust me when I tell you that it is not very popular to be a Christian anymore it seems so I would not think anyone would "fake it" to "fit in."

Are you fucking kidding me?! You only have something like 80% of the US population, all the prior and current presidents, 98% of the politicians, most of the news reporters, most of the school teachers and administrators... This country is steeped in religion/Christianity. Christmas decorations go up in October, all the religious holidays are very overtly celebrated, it's unthinkable for the president to not do any prayer or religious type of ceremony, those who point out that religious icons on public property are unconstitutional get persecuted and receive death threats... Atheists are the ones who are not very popular. Watch any news reporter interviewing an atheist. It's as if they are interviewing some weirdo with cancer.
Thank you. All of my +1.
I lold audibly. Wishing we could all hear the alarmlike sound that actually just came from my mouth.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
May 30, 2013, 11:45:50 PM

Quoted For Absolute and Undeniable Truth!
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
May 30, 2013, 11:41:17 PM

I questioned why he had allowed me to go through some horrible things as a very young child.  One day I cried out to Him for help and he showed me that he pained by the abuse too. 

Knowing this was the start of a miraculous healing of my heart.  Now I know that He is with me no matter what I am going through and He has been faithful to me.  He would do the same thing for you, or for anyone that asks.  I believe that to the core of my being.

That's a rather classic Christian conversion/projection story: "I was screwed up, god helped me. Since I was screwed up without god, that obviously means others who are still without god are screwed up too, and the only way they can get better is by accepting god, too." I've heard it countless times: "I used to be a bad person into drugs and alcohol, but Jesus saved me. He can ase your pain and save you too!" and multiple variations thereof. I think most people have a difficult and painful childhood. I'm pretty sure most end up healing without the help of a religion. I know I didn't need it. On the contrary, I only started to heal when I realized it was a crutch that I didn't need, and that was used to beat me down. Rejecting god, and then coming to realize that it's all nothing but a fairy tale was the best thing that has ever happened to me, and I have been happy ever since!
legendary
May 30, 2013, 11:35:24 PM
However I am invoking Godwin's Law, in the case that a bunch of people get together and decide that the earth would be a better place by wiping out the Jews (because they thought the Jews were destroying Germany) what right would you have to tell them they're wrong?

Science that says Jews are no different from any other people, and that there is no evidence that they are destroying Germany? Hitler was a devout Christian and believed in some f'ed up prophesy and BS, so it was easy for him to believe in other ignorant and hateful things. Thus, it was easy for him to believe unsubstantiated stuff like "Jews are destroying Germany."

Suppose you have an uncle who owns a business, and has many workers for him. Your uncle has developed a terrible disease which causes him much pain, yet he continues along with his job, instead of listening to doctors. Because of his condition he is very miserable, and so makes all his workers miserable as well. You know that once your uncle dies you will inherit a large fortune, as well as the company, so you could improve the workers' lives.

The most logical choice you decide, is to attempt to kill your uncle, after all, you empathize with his pain. If you were in such pain, a terminal illness at that, wouldn't you want an easy way out? Not only would you be improving your uncle's life, but all the workers', and as well as your's as per the inheritance.

If death was the uncle's wish, then yes, it would be moral to help him do what he has asked for, since he owns his life and is the only one who can decide what to do with it. If you kill him despite him wanting to continue to work and live his life, then that's not moral, not by the bible's standards, and not by any other set of ethics (including atheist).
May 30, 2013, 11:33:54 PM

Amen.
Neurobox and BitChick are both badass intelligent rockstars IMO. Sort of. K I'll give them head n shoulders above most theists.
Christians can be great people sometimes. That post was directed at the whole thread.
I still have a monsterous, overwhelming frustration with ABC) in my last post, and hope some of the assertions take root as true somewhere subcon.
That hope doesn't detract from how much I appreciate the hell out of those two people's semi faned consideration.
Until they grow into what I happen to feel is a more mature and realistic state of reflection about the neccessity and pitfalls of ABC) in their personal development, and redefine the language of that external revelation they described as an entirely internal one, I'll still point out flaws with as much gusto as I can muster.
I am very, very angry at the consistent hateful actions, scorn for science, disowned hipocrisy, and blind core untheory of theists in general. It's a good, righteous anger I feel everyone needs to have to do well and have working values.

Fookin bitcoiners, yo.
legendary
May 30, 2013, 11:27:41 PM

legendary
May 30, 2013, 10:21:13 PM
A)Calling your god a 'He' is dumb
B)Talking about your god in a way that requires the reader to make a leap of faith to even finish reading one of your premises is dumb.
C)Claiming matter of factly that your god did this, does that, ect is dumb.

These things are dumb because you really know, deep down, the only reason you talk like that is to fit in.
Whether you were raised by enthusiastic consumers of churching or found that later in life it was easier just to play along until you internalized the motions, you know deep down that youre faking it and being dumb.
Everyone else can tell, and suspects that the act is only there to cover up some missing depth or longing for substantial meaning.
Ive done this debate before. The reasonable people always get sick of the neurosis and leave, losing. Religion must not be based in simply refering someone to a vastly overquoted book. We must think for ourselves.

Lots of folks still have faith in the obsolete lie that is the dollar. IN GOD WE TRUST. NOPE.
I left that lie a long time ago as well.
My religion requires that I be sincere, enflamed in prayer, and unforgiving of the sort of monocultural, white supremacist, patriarchical garbage that passes as religious thought.

I know this was directed at Nuerobox, but I will interject here.

Trust me when I tell you that it is not very popular to be a Christian anymore it seems so I would not think anyone would "fake it" to "fit in."   I think for many of us that have experience a true conversion, we could never think of turning from Him.  Why, because we have felt God's amazing grace and have been changed by the awareness of His love for us.  It changes us from the inside out. 

I have been reading many of your comments.  You seem very angry with Christians and at God for some reason.  I wonder if that anger is misdirected?   I ask that because I too was frustrated with God at one point when I was younger. (I still often wonder what His plan is in many things but I am learning to trust Him in spite of that)  I questioned why he had allowed me to go through some horrible things as a very young child.  One day I cried out to Him for help and he showed me that he pained by the abuse too.  Knowing this was the start of a miraculous healing of my heart.  Now I know that He is with me no matter what I am going through and He has been faithful to me.  He would do the same thing for you, or for anyone that asks.  I believe that to the core of my being.

That said, we could do cognitive gymnastics debating these things endlessly and you would mostly likely win.  You are obviously extremely intelligent and well read, more so than I could ever dream of being!  However, " God has chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise." 
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
May 30, 2013, 10:19:34 PM
Back.

So you've chosen #2, that your god is evil. And yet you still follow him. Nice.
No, I've selected an option you did not state, that did not fit into your initial argument. You athiests are very skilled at manipulation of words. Nice.

Well now you're just descending into fundamentalist pamphlet talk. If his laws are what make morality and he doesn't follow them, then he is immoral. You're just gonna state "god is good" while all evidence points to the contrary? This is just about checkmate it seems.
All evidence does not point to the contrary, the point is there are things that God can do that we can't, similar to how the Government has the ability to sentence people to death.

I'm confused. You're describing relative morality, where sometimes murder is OK. I'm looking for your examples of absolute morality.
Now you're just being ridiculous, of course there is a separation between murdering someone, and sentencing someone to death because they have murdered.

The whole use of the word moral is a religious shell game. People use it as a weapon; those with morals know what is right and those without do not. Of course that is complete horseshit.

Your god, if he did exist, would be the most capriciously violent and vengeful being in the universe yet somehow he's great to worship because "might makes right" for you, whether the lich you worship is actually "evil" or not. It doesn't matter if he's a vile bastard to you, and that is twisted. Along your line of reasoning, if inside your mythology Satan had cast God out of Heaven you'd follow Satan just as gladly, as long as people sang songs calling Satan's torture of others "love".

Meanwhile you deem atheists amoral because you believe they don't follow any of the "moral laws" in your book of rules. Again, horseshit. We don't need a book to tell us not to kill people, not to steal from others, etc.
Morals are not created by those using the moral system (first point), God is still good(second point), and empathy is not a valid source of morality(third point). I suppose I could take three paragraphs to say what I just said, but that would be a waste of space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
I was trying to avoid Godwin's law however you've opened the can of worms, not me. Your argument concerning the "danger" of relative moralism with regard to Hitler falls flat. The point of relative morals is NOT "whatever each individual finds right is A-OK", it is that while we each individually need to determine right from wrong in our own loves (personal morals), these will continually be evaluated and adjusted against family (clan) morals, social, government and worldwide morals. And all of these morals continue to evolve worldwide as the various groups employ empathy to hopefully understand one another, groups and cultures.
Intentional invocation of Godwin's Law was intentional.
So multiple people get together and decide what is moral? Like the German government?

The rest of your argument is "the ten commandments are bad, your morals are bad". The ten commandments are good, a 10th grade could not create a better 10 commandments, and moral relativism = utilitarianism, both are evil, an 10th grader could make a better ideology than moral relativism.

The Code of Hammurabi, which came well before the bible, was carved into stone to preserve it longer. You'd think a god would know that, eh? I love that people claim prophecy and omnipotence for this god and the dude can't even stop his "revelation" for a second to say, "oh yeah, before I forget, papyrus might not be a good idea to record this. Try stone."
The choice of writing material is a human one,. God shows a clear preference for stone in the creation of the ten commandments. The amount of effort put forth by the Jews in their preservation of the Torah is quite incredible, stone sounds fun, until you realize the practical limitations of it. You need a good source of well hewn stone, you need enough stone to write the Torah, and finally you need more effort to record in stone than papyrus.

The law of God was meant to be used by the people, and stone is not very practical.

There's just no way around it -- anyone who thinks 2 consenting adults pile driving the Hershey highway does not requires death is quite simply a big juicy turd of a human. It's a completely irrational belief, has zero a lot to do with right or wrong, and is miles away from anything worthy of such a punishment. But what more can we expect from athiests the most immoral book on the planet?
Ok.

18 If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard.” 21 Then all the men of his town are to stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.
This is not being simply naughty, this is flat out rebellion by the child. And do not assume young child either, glutton and drunkard are listed as well.

Furthermore this passage is more a protection to the child, in that the child must be taken to the elders of the city to determine whether of not the child's rebellion deserve death, I would imagine this was not a common occurrence. This is not a commandment to stone all rebellious children. Due to the patriarchal system, this stops the parents from simply stoning the child.

I can't imagine this being common at all, as most parents love their children enough not to stone them :/

Slavery
Slavery in the context of the bible is very widely misunderstood. First, when you say slavery, everyone get's the image of the enslavement of the Africans, however man-stealing in the bible is clearly punishable by death. I imagine this would have been a counter-cultural thing to say.

Exodus 20:16: “Whoever steals a man and sells him, and anyone found in possession of him, shall be put to death.

Slavery was allowable in the bible, such as in the repayment of debts or captives in war. However all slaves were granted freedom in the year of jubilee, every 49 or 50 years (at regular intervals of time, if a slave was captured 10 years from the year of jubilee, they were granted freedom 10 years later). Furthermore, all hebrew slave were to be let free 7 years after their enslavement.

Doesn't this basically translate people (also you!) only act moral because they fear punishment.
If you follow the law based only on fear, you've missed the point.

A human being is able to imagine the consequences of it's actions for another being, morals are the decision that no being should experience consequences that I deem unpleasant, compared to the actual value of this experience (work for example is unpleasant for many, yet necessary).
There are people born without empathy, and there are those that are born with a lesser sense of empathy.

legendary
May 30, 2013, 09:43:52 PM
I seriously don't have time to get into what's wrong with every single sentence you just wrote, but they don't jive with what makes me tick.

I was a post-atheist, progressive, Taoist, channelling, divining, manifesting OOB junky and was delivered in one day. With no pressure from anyone, just a crack in the door when I let Jesus in. I dropped every worthless thing at his feet, and he changed my heart for the better that day, thank God. I had been a wreck. That trash was destroying me, and you know what led me to it all? Indiscriminate curiosity and that drive to see behind the veil. God has an answer to that. The enemy answers it with a million ego-inflating lies, and it leads to ruin. That's my truth. If I said differently, I'd be lying, pretending, trying to fit in. I can't do that.

a) Jesus was a He, and most fathers are.
b) I'll talk about him in the way that he revealed himself. Sorry, no cheating.
c) I'm claiming matter of factly that I am utterly convinced of what God has done, and you'd need a pretty whacked conspiracy theory or two to explain away any one case. Of course that isn't going to convince you. It's foolishness.

EDIT: Also, goodnight.

Smiley  It is a miracle what Jesus can do if we let Him in!
Pages:
Jump to: