Pages:
Author

Topic: (Review/Guide) WhatsMiner M3 11.5 Th/s, 2000W Bitcoin (SHA-256) ASIC miner - page 16. (Read 33468 times)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0
Activity: 756
Merit: 560
2kw, 100% out of the range for any standard home miner in the United States.

All you have to do is set it up on its on 220 circuit with the proper breaker.

Also, home mining is dead, you may have not got the memo from a couple years back.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
It's great to see another Bitmain competitor Smiley

How can it be a Bitmain competitor with such huge power consuption? EBIT E9 PLUS looks to be much better.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2490
Evil beware: We have waffles!
Looks like the heat sink fins themselves have fins. Nice touch as that can easily double the effective surface area. Dragons did the same.

As for no-fans power-down cooking factor because of the large mass -- the A7's also use very large sinks and yes it is best to either stop cgminer so the miner has a chance to idle and cool down or - pull the data cable. Miner immediately goes into idle.

A couple times I just killed power while moving around and DAMN do the cases get hot! Ended up pointing them into the exhaust of some other miners to bring the temps down...
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129
Bitcoin FTW!
@leowonderful
I finally had some time and did a quick disassembly for the miner, took some pictures and then assembled it back together to continue the mining.

I have some close up pictures of the controller board and hash boards.  Smiley

I really like how it looks, seems quite robust to me when it comes to the cooling heat sink solution for example.

WhatsMiner M3 disassembled. Click for a bigger version. Picture taken by HagssFIN.

Controller board. Click for a bigger version. Pictures taken by HagssFIN.

Hash board. Click for a bigger version. Pictures taken by HagssFIN.
Thanks for the pictures, loving the controller board and heatsinks along with the simple design of the miners! Not sure how true Fanatic26's statement about the heatsinks are but at least the design is neat. They still have time to improve on the current design, part of the reviewing process after all if the heat issue arises. Seems like stability on the miners are great too, shame Bitmain doesn't do half as good of a job on their miners nowadays.
Eww that heat sink design is bad news imo.

Avalon did something similar with the A6 and what would happen is there is so much heatsink it actually acted as a collector and would cook things the second the miner shut down and the fan slowed. Thats one of the main reasons the A6 were so heat sensitive.
legendary
Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.
@leowonderful
I finally had some time and did a quick disassembly for the miner, took some pictures and then assembled it back together to continue the mining.

I have some close up pictures of the controller board and hash boards.  Smiley

I really like how it looks, seems quite robust to me when it comes to the cooling heat sink solution for example.

WhatsMiner M3 disassembled. Click for a bigger version. Picture taken by HagssFIN.

Controller board. Click for a bigger version. Pictures taken by HagssFIN.

Hash board. Click for a bigger version. Pictures taken by HagssFIN.
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 7701
'The right to privacy matters'
Still running well

about 104 hours  since 11-12 monday

https://www.nicehash.com/miner/16yLHLoeyuCLPMXkVpC3gyrRYvwRGwjKJr

i was paid  13 hours ago

I earned this in the last 13 hours   0.00154375    I am earning about 0.0027 btc a day before power

that is 20 usd - 5 usd for power =  15 usd  a day   since I paid 1200  I need 80 x 15 = 1200   80 days for roi

Activity: 355
Merit: 276
Just checked philipma1957 miner in 69 hours it has mined.  0.007885 btc
legendary
the 20th is a snap shot it fluxes

but  in 46 hours the machine has mined 0.00530320 btc  and  that is good

it comes to 0.002766 a day  which is 19.92 a day before power

10 cent power is 5.00 a day  so this is making about 15 a day after power.

Activity: 462
Merit: 300
Phil I just checked your  mining address  great numbers!

legendary
The one thing that scares me is the power supply. If its rated for 2100w and you are seeing a live power draw of almost 2200 at the wall that means they are pushing the crap out of their knockoff power supply. I worry about the longevity of it.

It is a possible issue.
The heat sinks are good quality which  should keep chips okay which should help psu.

My ideas are in a place like the solar array it is cold in the fall and winter.
So this gear should be fine.  But next June July August when it is hot this is going to struggle.

So Have it setup now in a cool spot and you will be fine.
The one thing that scares me is the power supply. If its rated for 2100w and you are seeing a live power draw of almost 2200 at the wall that means they are pushing the crap out of their knockoff power supply. I worry about the longevity of it.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
We are still too far from Bitmain killer or Avalon killer

While competition is always good, it isn't Avalon that requires it right now.

M
legendary
I did not get a chance to make a video at the solar array

I am going to show its earnings  at nicehash

More info  The miner has mined  for about 20 hours

so 0.002242/20 =  0.0001121 btc an hour

1 day would be       0.0026904
1 week would be     0.0188328
30 days would be     0.0807120
90 days would be     0.242136    x 6400 = 1549

50 kwatts a day x 90 = 4500 x 10 cents = 450

so  1100 back  in 90 days

as we all know  these projections  don't mean much  but  not so bad a deal. with 10 cent power  with 5 cent power a good deal for sure.

legendary
Wow, 2kw of power for 11.5Th/s.  That's a lot of power.

Maybe the next version will be a Bitmain killer? Smiley

Thanks for the review.

M
But considering the improvements to the 28nm process that’s very reasonable. Probably was made this way to be somewhat competitive to the S9 and other 14nm miners today. I wouldn’t be surprised if these guys actually beat bitmain at their own efficiency game at this point. Didn’t think there was still more to be squeezed out of 28nm.

Awesome video as always, Phil. Seems odd they would send you a EU plug even though your address was American... maybe they only had EU plugs on the PSUs?

It is actually a power cord with Type I plug, which is not used in EU area, but which is one of the plug types used in China.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

I got the same power cord as well.

I guess they have deciced to include a power cord with the psu, and since China is most likely the largest sell quantity target country, it is then a Type I power cord.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129
Bitcoin FTW!
Wow, 2kw of power for 11.5Th/s.  That's a lot of power.

Thanks for the review.

M
But considering the improvements to the 28nm process that’s very reasonable. Probably was made this way to be somewhat competitive to the S9 and other 14nm miners today. I wouldn’t be surprised if these guys actually beat bitmain at their own efficiency game at this point. Didn’t think there was still more to be squeezed out of 28nm.

Awesome video as always, Phil. Seems odd they would send you a EU plug even though your address was American... maybe they only had EU plugs on the PSUs?
legendary
these are raw shot videos today no editing. this is intentional as transparency is a desired detail

first  video will be live at:

https://youtu.be/fpHAYR1PjA8

https://youtu.be/zdIjX0cd9d4

https://youtu.be/_ppH5xHkrV4

Should you buy this

yes if you have a place for the sound it is really loud
yes if you have low cost power
yes if it ships quickly------- I got the demo fast

unboxing

Your video will be live at: https://youtu.be/CJaKc-2Isdk

It has been moved to the solar array

here is the gear at nicehash

A nice set of videos, hope you don't mind I added video links to the original review, as a chapter 10.  Smiley
Activity: 19
Merit: 14
Wow, 2kw of power for 11.5Th/s.  That's a lot of power.

Thanks for the review.

M

We are still too far from Bitmain killer or Avalon killer
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
Wow, 2kw of power for 11.5Th/s.  That's a lot of power.

Thanks for the review.

M
Pages:
Jump to: