Pages:
Author

Topic: (Review/Guide) WhatsMiner M3 11.5 Th/s, 2000W Bitcoin (SHA-256) ASIC miner - page 3. (Read 33468 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 71
Just Getting Started...
hi anyone can help....
my miner have a problem,

on the SYSTEM
CGMiner Version : Unknow(waiting cgminer to start)

i have restart and reboot still same, what should i do ?
should i upgrade firmware ? and how to upgrade firmware on M3 ?

My M3s would do that every so often when the pool was misconfigured. Go to the main page and restart cgminer a couple of times if you are sure your pool info is right. Also, it can take several minutes for an M3 to get going so I'd walk away for 15 min or so then check.
Activity: 350
Merit: 158
#takeminingback
hi anyone can help....
my miner have a problem,

on the SYSTEM

I would not touch the firmware. The M3 firmware is pretty solid. Did you try the reset button? When you do, unplug your
network cable, press reset, then reconnect the cable. Check all of your connections on your controller too. I have 1 M3
that is fussy about the network cable for some reason, and that's what I had to do, to get cgminer to start up.

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest what NotFuzzyWarm suggested. However, leave the firmware stock.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
hi anyone can help....
my miner have a problem,

on the SYSTEM

Have you at least contacted them and opened a support ticket?
Whatsminer firmware page https://whatsminer.net/whatsminer-latest-firmware/
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
hi anyone can help....
my miner have a problem,

on the SYSTEM

copper member
Activity: 21
How did you wire this up? My M3 has six terminal leads on the PSU and the one listed from Amazon has the ten connectors....?
Activity: 504
Merit: 71
Just Getting Started...
Do you have a link or model for the PSU from Amazon? I cant seem to fine anything for Beleev.in....

Sorry here it is

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0795MTD7N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for sharing, now that it's 90+ deg F outside my garage is heating up and my M3s are pulling something like 2300W with the stock PSUs! I might give on of these a try and report back.

https://imgur.com/fvxakQ1
Activity: 51
copper member
Activity: 21
Do you have a link or model for the PSU from Amazon? I cant seem to fine anything for Beleev.in....
I've found with mine, it's the psu that makes most of the noise. The miner itself, is actually quieter, than my Avalon  841's.
Take a look at the thread below, for some sound control ideas, specifically for the M3. However, in your situation, being in
an apartment type area, ANY asic miner will be a noise problem. Goodluck!!!

Quote from Pangolinminer Thread:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.32688389

Actually I bought a PSU from amazon (I think it was Beleev.in) and my miner has been whisper quiet compared to the stock PSU, it's night and day difference.  Can even keep it indoors without soundproofing.  Also to the guy above, your freq might have to do with the PSU, i swapped mine out and its been working like a beast with best freq, could also be the amount of power the miner is getting, needs to be optimal.

Moderator's note: This post was edited by frodocooper to remove a nested quote and unnecessary whitespace.
Activity: 350
Merit: 158
#takeminingback

The noise is a deal breaker though

I've found with mine, it's the psu that makes most of the noise. The miner itself, is actually quieter, than my Avalon  841's.
Take a look at the thread below, for some sound control ideas, specifically for the M3. However, in your situation, being in
an apartment type area, ANY asic miner will be a noise problem. Goodluck!!!

Quote from Pangolinminer Thread:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.32688389
Activity: 8

I sold all of my Whatsminer units. Too power hungry and you won't even make a profit unless electric is $0.12 kWh or cheaper. At $0.12 you'll make $5/month profit.

I think I'm going to sell mine as well. I had hoped I could set them up in our place. The noise is a deal breaker though, even if everything worked out and it was worth keeping them. Maybe when I move into a different place.

Thanks for the advice on the outlets. I used normal household ones. I still live with my parents and I never really learned about the power in our apartment, outside of things not working the way they should every now and then haha.
Activity: 265
Merit: 232
I don't know if the miner is fully functional, since I can not make it connect to the web. This is related to electricity issues in our apartment though. Running the miner through the only available power socket will blow our apartments fuse.

What kind of outlet are you plugging it into and what's it rated for? These units will only work on 220~240V outlets unless using a transformer. At 240, each unit requires a little more than 8 amps. At 120, one of these can pop a 20 amp breaker if it's not dedicated. I sold all of my Whatsminer units. Too power hungry and you won't even make a profit unless electric is $0.12 kWh or cheaper. At $0.12 you'll make $5/month profit.
legendary
Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.
In most cases it is indeed a much better method to grab to connector instead of pulling the wires.
But this particular small 3-pin cable connector doesn't need that much of force to unplug,
so I was confident carefully wiggling it out by holding on the wires.
Can you please describe the manner you normally pull this cable out?

Sure.
Here is a short video in which I show how I first unplug and then plug the 3-pin cable to the controller board.

I pulled it out. Thank you man. You are my hero today.

I was always pulling the white plug itself. My mind seriously blanked when you just pulled the cables themselves. Isn't that bad? I somehow made it this far never pulling the cables, because somehow that was bad. Everything looks so fragile too, but we both just pulled it out perfectly intact.

Thanks again.
legendary
Can you please describe the manner you normally pull this cable out?

Sure.
Here is a short video in which I show how I first unplug and then plug the 3-pin cable to the controller board.

Link: https://mega.nz/#!BktD1LbA!8uYDTQjUWhhlvIH58ascdU4YBlj1HXcAwkrcSECA6Po
That's weird. I had zero issues with plugging and unpluggin the 3-pin cable from the PSU to the miner.

Is it damaged or burned in some way?

Thank you for your quick response!

The cable and plug are in normal condition. I managed to turn it on just fine as well. Fans running and lights on. I had a hard time getting the other cables out as well, everything fits really tight. But nothing like this one. Wiggling left and right and a lot more force than I was comfortable with did the trick, so they came out fine.
Can you please describe the manner you normally pull this cable out? The only option I see left, is trying the "right" way with the cable and using more force than previously. 

I don't know if the miner is fully functional, since I can not make it connect to the web. This is related to electricity issues in our apartment though. Running the miner through the only available power socket will blow our apartments fuse (I know from experience with other electronics that it's the apartments fault though, lots issues with several sockets). From other places I can't reach the Ethernet port of our router, due to short cable. But it turned on just fine.
legendary
That's weird. I had zero issues with plugging and unpluggin the 3-pin cable from the PSU to the miner.

Is it damaged or burned in some way?
I ran into some electricity issues in our apartment and now I need to remove the PSU from the miner again, but the "Power control wire" http://puu.sh/A5Ju6/8173b79b26.png is stuck.

How in the world do you get this off again? It's so tight down there, I can't get a proper grip with my fingers on it. I don't know what to do with this upstanding stick that is part of the miner - or how else you are supposed to use this cable. I tried pulling it gently with tongs and bending the plastic forward and backward a bit, with a tiny screwdriver whilst pulling, but the cable just remains as stuck as always. Sad

legendary
anyone know how to upgrade firmware? I have 3 of these and it seems the latest firmware one hashes better than the older firmware ones, hoping to see some improvement between them, otherwise they have been rock solid hashing away and free electricity means that they will be paid for alot quicker Cheesy
Pages:
Jump to: