Pages:
Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 93. (Read 387491 times)

legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
August 14, 2014, 03:35:49 AM
Could this be implemented in xmr? It looks like a solution for blockchain bloat.

http://bitscan.com/articles/anonymity-why-dark-is-the-new-black

Why does that link want to use my computer's location?  Never saw that warning message before.

I think the website is one that tracks local Bitcoin businesses for you on a map.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
August 14, 2014, 03:25:53 AM
Could this be implemented in xmr? It looks like a solution for blockchain bloat.

Why does that link want to use my computer's location?  Never saw that warning message before.
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
August 14, 2014, 02:57:17 AM

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
August 14, 2014, 02:53:43 AM
When I was choosing between the two, I personally felt that both the block interval and coin generation schedule were better in BBR. But unfortunately all the other things were worse, with legitimacy on the top of the list.

Why only pick one, and not both?  Since CryptoNote is very new, both coins have a chance to be the sector leader.  BBR may get stuck being Pepsi to XMR's Coke, or become the dominant CN coin if there is an XMR catastrophe.  Those are both winning outcomes.

BBR may be the next BetaMax (better tech killed by QWERTY effect) but that's why I only spent 10% as much on them.

But BBR isn't even the next BetaMax, what the hell are you talking about? This is so frustrating!

BBR's changes are only to make it separate from monero and to build a cult around zoidberg. BBR's changes are questionable at best, this is Litecoin all over again, the fact that people can't see this just shows how many idiots are in Crypto!

I get it, I used to be one of those idiots, and I lost a lot for it, but I feel that I am different now, losing hundreds of Bitcoin changes you, makes you research well and apply logic.

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1004
August 14, 2014, 12:00:20 AM

Looks like a SlipperySlope.
Hah.

But really, where do you guys see this ending?

I don't really follow LTC.

In the longish fun (at least long for crypto), it seems pretty obvious to me that Litecoin will not be the #2 crypto. But that's always seemed obvious to me, and it's been #2 for longer than I expected... I tend to be early with my investment theses, thinking others will very quickly see what I see, but it often turns out to take painfully (and unprofitably) longer than I expect.

But I do think the tide is finally turning. There are now plenty of coins that actually do something different than bitcoin. Almost all will completely fail to gain any sort of traction (because their "innovation" proves false or of little value), but a couple that fill meaningful niches will likely shine through, ultimately. There's no reason for Litecoin, which does NOT fill any bitcoin-distinct technical niche whatsoever, to remain the dominant alt. Thankfully others are (finally) realizing this.

It's a shame that we actually had to plod through to two inevitabilities, which have been obvious since 2012, to trigger litecoin's decline, but we finally have them:

1) The production of scrypt ASICs
It's been apparent to anyone with at least 1/3 of a brain that any successful coin with a PoW security alg will eventually converge to industrial-scale mining dynamics. It all, eventually, comes down to energy cost and economies of scale. Litecoiners were very annoying for a year or two running their mouths about how the mining alg was different and ASICs wouldn't be a thing in litecoinland for many many years, if ever... Well, here they are. Obviously.

2) The introduction of *potentially* interesting features in various other coins. It was inevitable that this would happen, and now that people can see that empirically, it's tougher to find any meaningful technical arguments for litecoin.

I should note that I don't begrudge the existence of litecoin by any means; it was inevitable that someone would forktweak bitcoin, and litecoin did that first (with a fair launch, etc). It's been an interesting experiment. One that, IMO, has empirically demonstrated the potential for crowds and markets to act irrationally far longer than many theoreticians would argue should be the case. That in and of itself is a valuable lesson.
legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009
August 13, 2014, 08:49:14 PM
When I was choosing between the two, I personally felt that both the block interval and coin generation schedule were better in BBR. But unfortunately all the other things were worse, with legitimacy on the top of the list.

Why only pick one, and not both?  Since CryptoNote is very new, both coins have a chance to be the sector leader.  BBR may get stuck being Pepsi to XMR's Coke, or become the dominant CN coin if there is an XMR catastrophe.  Those are both winning outcomes.

BBR may be the next BetaMax (better tech killed by QWERTY effect) but that's why I only spent 10% as much on them.

Stumbled across this gem today on buttcoin.  I think it's relevant to Pepsi vs Coke in currencies

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2dfvoy/truth_you_dont_want_to_hear_bitcoin_price_matters/
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
August 13, 2014, 08:45:04 PM

legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019
August 13, 2014, 07:39:25 PM
MRO is shining because it has a value proposition (privacy), it has a community, and the coin is still 95% not mined and mineable by anyone (non GPU/ASIC). The competitor, DRK, is centralized, has half of the current supply instamined, and it a lot more expensive. This was an easy choice really.

I don't know XCP that's why haven't mentioned it. It is 100% premine so why should I care?
With a P2P exchange it would be useful to exchange BTC<>MRO as a method of making BTC anonymous. Even if MRO isn't used as a currency it could be valuable as a tool for BTC. Almost like an optional add-on.

Some long term Bitcoin weaknesses are:
- centralized mining (in only few pools),
- lack of fungibility (due to lack of privacy), and
- security hole in the elliptic curve (not in the hash algorithm).

CPU mining (GPU and ASICs resistant) is key to true decentralization. Any of you mining MRO can confirm that MRO is GPU resistant?

Cryptonote's MRO seems a good solution to bitcoin's lack of fungibility, and it's a feature that Bitcoin can hardly adopt. But it's not enough for an altcoin to succeed because, as dillpiklechips says, it could be useful simply to "wash" bitcoins.

Concerning the elliptic curve algorithm in MRO, I have not found any info.

MRO has 8x folded in just few days, and that's enough for me to stay apart.

Risto, what was your MRO purchase price?

No. Not true. NVIDIA GPUs can mine Monero

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7487737

http://www.cudamining.cc/url/releases/member/4

I can't seem to find a compiled version though.

Found it thanks to some help: https://github.com/tsiv/ccminer-cryptonight/releases
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Bitmark Developer
August 13, 2014, 07:15:49 PM
OK, how about the date when BitMark market cap surpasses LTC?

Now that, I'd be interested in Smiley

The two are quite distinct, Litecoin may yet do things which increase adoption and earn a higher price tag.

My personal target is not to beat Litecoin's market cap, but rather it's adoption, along with every other currency, combined.

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
August 13, 2014, 07:05:54 PM
I thought that LTC would rebound for sure with the next BTC rise but with whats happening with Monero I don't really see a reason why it should.  I think those funds will flow into Monero.

Hah.

legendary
Activity: 1498
August 13, 2014, 06:56:21 PM

zero or above? I'd be surprised if it went lower than zero.

Nice one, Coinsolidation...

OK, how about the date when BitMark market cap surpasses LTC?

Now that, I'd be interested in Smiley
Activity: 294
Bitmark Developer
August 13, 2014, 06:53:19 PM

zero or above? I'd be surprised if it went lower than zero.
legendary
Activity: 1498
August 13, 2014, 06:50:39 PM

Hah.

Activity: 686
Merit: 501
Stephen Reed
August 13, 2014, 05:34:10 PM
Unlike Bitcoin, Litecoin continues to collapse according to the resistance trendline from the November peak, dropping to below $5 today on BTC-e ...

Activity: 280
Who cares?
Activity: 448
Changing avatars is currently not possible.
August 13, 2014, 05:21:15 PM
What do you guys think about NXT?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
August 13, 2014, 03:48:59 PM
I think that XMR should change its algorithm.

My XMR blockchain was 6 days behind the network: 8600 blocks unsync-ed. It took me 40 minutes sync-ing the blockchain from 1h33 - 2h25 PM

That's a hash rate of 4/sec. Doubtful the PoW algorithm had much to do with this. What device is it?

PoW is not the only difference between BBR and XMR. Another is many more transactions on XMR. Or you may simply have been connected to slower peers.

Same laptop: Dell Inspiron 15 - Intel Core i5 - 4200U 1.6 Ghz - 6 GB RAM. XMR is always much slower than BBR on my laptop. I open XMR wallet more often than BBR one: every day or every 3-4 days. XMR daemon is slow all the time. It is strange that BBR can sync the blockchain much much faster than XMR

I have an idea. It might be frequency scaling. You will get poor performance with the quick bursts of CPU activity of verification but not mining. If this proves to be true we can probably at least optionally bypass scaling during resyncs. I'm interested in both the log data cryptozeidberg asked for as well as single thread mining speed.

Agree, also was thinking about this, that's why i asked for logs from blockchain storage, also it shows both time intervals - whole block processing time, and PoW calcalation time, so we could see how much time is spended for Pow and and how much transactions.

Although...in my experience syncing usually maxes out my CPU (which is faster than his) so that argues against scaling. I guess we need to dig into this some more. 
Activity: 976
Merit: 646
August 13, 2014, 03:43:13 PM

My XMR blockchain was 6 days behind the network: 8600 blocks unsync-ed. It took me 40 minutes sync-ing the blockchain from 1h33 - 2h25 PM

That's a hash rate of 4/sec. Doubtful the PoW algorithm had much to do with this. What device is it?

PoW is not the only difference between BBR and XMR. Another is many more transactions on XMR. Or you may simply have been connected to slower peers.

Same laptop: Dell Inspiron 15 - Intel Core i5 - 4200U 1.6 Ghz - 6 GB RAM. XMR is always much slower than BBR on my laptop. I open XMR wallet more often than BBR one: every day or every 3-4 days. XMR daemon is slow all the time. It is strange that BBR can sync the blockchain much much faster than XMR

I have an idea. It might be frequency scaling. You will get poor performance with the quick bursts of CPU activity of verification but not mining. If this proves to be true we can probably at least optionally bypass scaling during resyncs. I'm interested in both the log data cryptozeidberg asked for as well as single thread mining speed.

Agree, also was thinking about this, that's why i asked for logs from blockchain storage, also it shows both time intervals - whole block processing time, and PoW calcalation time, so we could see how much time is spended for Pow and and how much transactions.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
August 13, 2014, 03:30:37 PM

I have an idea. It might be frequency scaling. You will get poor performance with the quick bursts of CPU activity of verification but not mining. If this proves to be true we can probably at least optionally bypass scaling during resyncs. I'm interested in both the log data crypto_zoidberg asked for as well as single thread mining speed.
Activity: 976
Merit: 646
August 13, 2014, 03:20:53 PM
If you really respect my work, bother to explain and prove that Wild Keccak is broken. Have you found the way to hack it ?

Because if haven't - it's just a lie, once again.

"once again" - are you implying that I've lied about BBR before? You'd do well to think through your words before writing.

It wasn't addressed personally to you, sorry if it sounds like it was, but i've saw many times when from Monero team was said wrong or confusing things about BBR.

Pages:
Jump to: