Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 108. (Read 907212 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night
I also believe that the biggest problem will be Apple loading off the fees on the credit cards company. They can't do this with Bitcoin. CC-companies will be gladly paying their share if they can be part of that potential revolution. Who will pay that for Bitcoin? Maybe Satoshi? The Foundation? Cheesy
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Apple adopting Bitcoin isn't even remotely likely. Simply put, it is impossible that Apple will adopt Bitcoin.

The term adoption when used in relation to Bitcoin is consistently misused. When merchants use a service that accepts Bitcoin from holders and converts it into fiat for themselves, they are not adopting Bitcoin. They are exploiting the popularity of the term and converting BTC into fiat. This is not a case of merchants helping Bitcoin but a case of Bitcoin helping merchants. Equally, overall fiat conversion into Bitcoin isn't increasing but decreasing.

Bitcoin is being stress tested and the question isn't which load will make it move faster but which push will make the load lighter. And I see no discussion regarding real Bitcoin development. NXT, Ethereum, Exocoin, NEM and maybe even to a certain degree Monero and Emunie are where development, not armchair discussions about development, is happening.

It is impossible to know which child will grow to be the greatest adult though even if we knew, we still would be left with a definition of great that may be incorrect.
Bitcoin has hit adulthood and is great but it is very limited. Trying to change the definition of 'great' only helps with making it impossible to call Bitcoin great without doing a single bit of work toward making it greater.

but by accepting bitcoin (even if they just sell it), they are advertising bitcoin, and increasing the utility.

Even if the short term effect is a downward pressure (which is probably not as severe as many of you make believe), the medium to long term effect is a price boom.

and in my opinion, bitcoin has barely even scratched the surface of childhood, it's not running, it's barely started standing up straight.

There is zero evidence that "the medium to long term effect is a price boom". Care to provide some?

Independently from what stage Bitcoin is, it definitely isn't standing nor is it straight.
Apple adopting Bitcoin isn't even remotely likely. Simply put, it is impossible that Apple will adopt Bitcoin.

The term adoption when used in relation to Bitcoin is consistently misused. When merchants use a service that accepts Bitcoin from holders and converts it into fiat for themselves, they are not adopting Bitcoin. They are exploiting the popularity of the term and converting BTC into fiat. This is not a case of merchants helping Bitcoin but a case of Bitcoin helping merchants. Equally, overall fiat conversion into Bitcoin isn't increasing but decreasing.

Bitcoin is being stress tested and the question isn't which load will make it move faster but which push will make the load lighter. And I see no discussion regarding real Bitcoin development. NXT, Ethereum, Exocoin, NEM and maybe even to a certain degree Monero and Emunie are where development, not armchair discussions about development, is happening.

It is impossible to know which child will grow to be the greatest adult though even if we knew, we still would be left with a definition of great that may be incorrect.
Bitcoin has hit adulthood and is great but it is very limited. Trying to change the definition of 'great' only helps with making it impossible to call Bitcoin great without doing a single bit of work toward making it greater.

Actually I would say BitsharesX is probably better than any other competitor to bitcoin that you have listed there.. its got alot of things going for it and I think it would tag along with bitcoin for a while as bitcoin would be used as a currency and bitshares used for well, everything else including anything that shares are issued for (stocks, bonds, any assets(voting, music, dns)).. NXT tries to do the same thing but doesn't do it quite aswell.. and the other ones I dont think are even close (yet). I think the winner will be the ones that will complement bitcoin not replace it.

The winner is never defined as the one who complements number 1. To be the winner a cryptocurrency has to necessarily replace Bitcoin.

The most basic reason why Bitcoin cannot and will not persist long term is that it requires large processing power as well as storage capacity but offers a tiny number of transactions per second at 7. The exponential nature of technology doesn't concern me when it comes to the processing power and storage requirements. What concerns me is how little it delivers for so much consumption. Meanwhile NXT which is an early 2.0  is over there featuring 100tps right now and eyeing 1000tps. SPV nodes don't really offset this either.

Another reason that comes to mind is the fact that satoshi and at least whoever has gox stolen coins holds hundreds of thousands of BTC. So much for not trusting FIAT and going to BTC because it is 'decentralized' as the useful idiots keep repeating. FIAT is magnitudes more decentralized than Bitcoin as it is currently distributed.

I understand that Bitcoin could be changed to handle more but that increase will cause a proportional increase in processing power and storage requirements which means it will keep being really slow.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

but by accepting bitcoin (even if they just sell it), they are advertising bitcoin, and increasing the utility.

Even if the short term effect is a downward pressure (which is probably not as severe as many of you make believe), the medium to long term effect is a price boom.

and in my opinion, bitcoin has barely even scratched the surface of childhood, it's not running, it's barely started standing up straight.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
they can't call it iWatch as that's the name of the program they gave to the govt to use with cctv cameras

Apple names things whatever they damn well please. They don't care if the name is already in use.

But they don't want mess with the government, so I highly doubt they would do that
legendary
Activity: 2044

Actually I would say BitsharesX is probably better than any other competitor to bitcoin that you have listed there.. its got alot of things going for it and I think it would tag along with bitcoin for a while as bitcoin would be used as a currency and bitshares used for well, everything else including anything that shares are issued for (stocks, bonds, any assets(voting, music, dns)).. NXT tries to do the same thing but doesn't do it quite aswell.. and the other ones I dont think are even close (yet). I think the winner will be the ones that will complement bitcoin not replace it.

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Despite the apparent simplicity of Apple Pay for the user (just put a finger in your smartphone screen and go), there are several problems:
- Apple only has 18% of the smartphone market, and falling.
- A free iPhone 6 cost, minimum 700€.
- If while paying your battery goes out of energy, you're fucked. Not so with plastic cards. And remember that the short battery life of iPhones is one of their major defects.
- Businesses need to install these payment terminals.

And like I said before, they may make the API public, which could benefit BTC.

Personally, my impression is that Apple is going to get hit by a train with Apple Pay and especially with Apple Watch (350€ the cheapest).
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
they can't call it iWatch as that's the name of the program they gave to the govt to use with cctv cameras

Apple names things whatever they damn well please. They don't care if the name is already in use.
Activity: 703
Merit: 502
Re: iWatch... I mean Apple Watch:

"It also comes with Apple Pay so you can use your watch like a credit card, and trust us, Apple will keep your banking information very secure; just like all those nude pics..."  Undecided

legendary
Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027
Re: iWatch... I mean Apple Watch:

"It also comes with Apple Pay so you can use your watch like a credit card, and trust us, Apple will keep your banking information very secure; just like all those nude pics..."  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265
i would buy applecoin if it had a limited supply.

I wouldn't. Not if tx are censorable by apple and/or my identity known to apple.

True. Also they know your location.

I can see someone standing in a shop wanting to buy a cup of coffee and the terminal says "Apple has disallowed this purchase, go to Starbucks it's around the corner". Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

I wouldn't. Not if tx are censorable by apple and/or my identity known to apple.

I'd be standing around when they are handing them out for free Wink
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

Activity: 144
I think the satoshi FUD is strongly related to the paypal announcement.

Agreed.

At least there is no doubt that we are talking about the highest stakes. To the above update, you may add:

Ebay, Apple, Alibaba, Google to compete for the global online payments market.

- Ebay/PayPal are actively pursuing the incorporation of Bitcoin.

- Apple is partnering with Visa/MC/AmEx. But should this solution prove to be less profitable than a Bitcoin-based one --it is a challenge-- Apple can switch, or it can add Bitcoin. In any case, for antitrust reasons (with recent MS precedent), Apple will probably not be able to shut out alternative payment solutions.

- Google's Wallet seems to lag. Google is still free to incorporate Bitcoin and appears to have contemplated it. Same goes for Amazon.

- Alibaba/Alipay seems more hindered to adopt Bitcoin given Chinese regulations. On the other hand, it is about to issue a very large IPO on the NYSE, I am not sure how being publicly traded on an American exchange impacts its regulatory framework wrt BTC.

Man apple is headed down in a hurry... Jobs would have adopted bitcoin long ago.

This.

Or Jobs would have decided to make his own Apple crypto.  He really liked to control things.

When I heard this:

Quote from: Jony Ive, Senior VP of Technology at Apple (Taken from The 65 minute mark at: http://www.apple.com/live/2014-sept-event/ )
It's driven Apple from the beginning: This compulsion to take incredibly powerful technology, and make it accessible, relevant, and ultimately personal.

I thought to myself: blockchain is an incredibly powerful technology. And we are all waiting for it to become accessible, relevant, and ultimately personal. Who better to do that, and do it well, than Apple? But I don't think they will be in a rush. They'll let other people futz around for a couple years, and then they'll find a way to incorporate it so that 1) it is user friendly and 2) it doesn't betray the fundamental principles of crypto. There are many instances (e.g. the mouse) where Apple was not the first to market; but they were the first to do it really well.

At least that's what I hope.

i hope one day apples does adopt though - that will be one awesome day
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106
jobs would have sued satoshi, accusing him of using apple source code.
legendary
Activity: 1512

Agreed.

At least there is no doubt that we are talking about the highest stakes. To the above update, you may add:

- Apple is partnering with Visa/MC/AmEx. But should this solution prove to be less profitable than a Bitcoin-based one --it is a challenge-- Apple can switch, or it can add Bitcoin. In any case, for antitrust reasons (with recent MS precedent), Apple will probably not be able to shut out alternative payment solutions.

- Google's Wallet seems to lag. Google is still free to incorporate Bitcoin and appears to have contemplated it. Same goes for Amazon.

- Alibaba/Alipay seems more hindered to adopt Bitcoin given Chinese regulations. On the other hand, it is about to issue a very large IPO on the NYSE, I am not sure how being publicly traded on an American exchange impacts its regulatory framework wrt BTC.

Man apple is headed down in a hurry... Jobs would have adopted bitcoin long ago.

This.

Or Jobs would have decided to make his own Apple crypto.  He really liked to control things.

Jobs would have made an apple app that allows you to pay with your bitcoin at the touch of your finger;
that would be a killer app
perhaps, one fingertip for each btc wallet, so you would be limited to 10  Smiley

He would have approached the CEO of bitcoin to make it Apple-only, when that would not work, he would have started an altcoin.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1001

Agreed.

This.

Or Jobs would have decided to make his own Apple crypto.  He really liked to control things.

When I heard this:

Quote from: Jony Ive, Senior VP of Technology at Apple (Taken from The 65 minute mark at: http://www.apple.com/live/2014-sept-event/ )
It's driven Apple from the beginning: This compulsion to take incredibly powerful technology, and make it accessible, relevant, and ultimately personal.

I thought to myself: blockchain is an incredibly powerful technology. And we are all waiting for it to become accessible, relevant, and ultimately personal. Who better to do that, and do it well, than Apple? But I don't think they will be in a rush. They'll let other people futz around for a couple years, and then they'll find a way to incorporate it so that 1) it is user friendly and 2) it doesn't betray the fundamental principles of crypto. There are many instances (e.g. the mouse) where Apple was not the first to market; but they were the first to do it really well.

At least that's what I hope.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Now im super bullish, paypal just energized the community, user data is up everywhere i look.  Think we might see a break out soon.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
Apple is too reliant on the way things are to touch bitcoin until the money supply/marketcap is much larger, in my opinion.

Apple has $160 billion liquid USD. Bitcoin is just about 6 billion right now, roughly 4% of the total dirty fiat money they hold.

I suspect they will come eventually but we will need another order of magnitude increase. They want to keep people spending money on their new products, their target market is not us Bitcoin fanatics. Yet.

Jump to: