Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 128. (Read 907212 times)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Is there life on Mars?
Thank you for taking care of my castle. The manor dates back to the 1200s and the walls of the current building from 1600s. It was enlarged to its current glory in 1880, after which it functioned nearly a century as a private and public building without major repairs. The owner prior to me, bought it in 1999 and spent about 1 million dollars to the structural renovation, for which reason the inside of the building mostly resembles a bunker now. It will be restored to a greater glory than ever, as soon as I feel it is prudent to allocate the $5-10 million towards the effort.

There will hopefully be pictures about our current summer retreat soon in the instagram page.

That's a great thing you've got those plans for your castle. But I still hope you don't depend on the Bitcoin price to rise even more in order to hold the castle as is it currently already exists! It would be a pity to lose that symbol of Bitcoin wealth!
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
Thank you for taking care of my castle. The manor dates back to the 1200s and the walls of the current building from 1600s. It was enlarged to its current glory in 1880, after which it functioned nearly a century as a private and public building without major repairs. The owner prior to me, bought it in 1999 and spent about 1 million dollars to the structural renovation, for which reason the inside of the building mostly resembles a bunker now. It will be restored to a greater glory than ever, as soon as I feel it is prudent to allocate the $5-10 million towards the effort.

There will hopefully be pictures about our current summer retreat soon in the instagram page.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Is there life on Mars?
I have found another castle for you rpietila!!

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/08/this-cheap-1-2m-castle-in-scotland-will-cost-you-less-than-a-flat-in-london-4824671/

I think it also needs a bit of work.. but all the same. It's a nice castle! Perhaps supernode 2?

That's a great castle! It would be a great place for another Bitcoin embassy, if only those castles weren't so far off any major city! But a castle itself is a great symbol. It stands for money, safety, royalty... This is what we need!
Activity: 728
Merit: 500

In case of a global Ebola outbreak...Sound money will be weapons, ammo, canned food and medicines. The odds for survival in such a situation are more in favour of the most cruel and fittest men than in favour a bunch of bitcoin nerds...

It's not a zombie apocalypse.  More like the spanish flu epidemic.

Get a grip dude.  You watch too much Hollywood.

Lol Cheesy

The original author was talking 30-60% population reduction, which I can't see happening without subsequent mass fear, hiding, suspicion, riots, revolts, pillaging and the like.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1003
WePower.red
So, it seems SecondMarket hasn't bought coins for 3 months now, is that accurate? Could this be because everyone's waiting for a definitive direction we're going or maybe the summer where the markets supposedly hibernate?
(Sorry to disturb your castle-talk!)

This should be question for Silbert.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
Or a sociopathically delusional one.
In case of a global Ebola outbreak, who gives a fuck about our little money experiment?

History shows that civilization doesn't stop due to global anomalies, wars, disease, financial metldowns etc. Neither will Bitcoin - which is far more than our "little money experiment". Show will go on - as always. The only question is whether we'll be part of the show or not...

Sound money will be weapons, ammo, canned food and medicines. The odds for survival in such a situation are more in favour of the most cruel and fittest men than in favour a bunch of bitcoin nerds like you and me, so pray your gods we will never have to witness such a catastrophic event in our lifetime.

Guns and canned food won't really save one from a pandemic virus. Neither will medicine (for other stuff).

True and in any catastrophic event , common things required for sustaining life will be much valuable than any crypto.

And how will you buy them, if government has nullified -by law- the value of paper currency in favor of electronic currencies, as to "prevent people from spreading the virus"?

Either gold/silver, or cryptos. Or plain' old bartering of one thing with another. We'll see how it goes, if it ever materializes as a global eventuality. Let's hope that it doesn't though.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas

In case of a global Ebola outbreak...Sound money will be weapons, ammo, canned food and medicines. The odds for survival in such a situation are more in favour of the most cruel and fittest men than in favour a bunch of bitcoin nerds...

It's not a zombie apocalypse.  More like the spanish flu epidemic.

Get a grip dude.  You watch too much Hollywood.
Activity: 518
Trust me!
I just see more and more selling pressure in the 600s (fake or not) and not much buying pressure atm. I am a tad worried for the possibility of another step down. OTOH we are in the first half of August which I expect to be quiet* if not slightly downwards (because people spend instead of saving).

* 2012 was different IMO because Pirateat40's final fuckup caused both spike and crash.

Having said that, I stay in coins - the weather is just too warm and nice to spend it trading, or worrying about having a considerable amount of fiat in an exchange.

I think that's a healthy sentiment! I think it's remarkable, that none of those minor dumps or mini-crashes of $10 cause the market to panic. It's rather stable and we don't seem to go below $580 as of now. Which is a strong sign. But I'd like to see some of those walls at $600, $610, etc. tested! They're making me uncomfortable!
I just see more and more selling pressure in the 600s (fake or not) and not much buying pressure atm. I am a tad worried for the possibility of another step down. OTOH we are in the first half of August which I expect to be quiet* if not slightly downwards (because people spend instead of saving).

* 2012 was different IMO because Pirateat40's final fuckup caused both spike and crash.

Having said that, I stay in coins - the weather is just too warm and nice to spend it trading, or worrying about having a considerable amount of fiat in an exchange.
Activity: 770
I was thinking that Ebola as a global pandemic = very bullish for BTC.

The Elite have always wanted to monitor money flows and Ebola, if it reaches worldwide scale, will give them the necessary excuse to ban cash (as one of an extensive list of "measures" to prevent virus spread).

So once cash is 100% digital, what is left to conduct transactions between individuals that do not want to use or do not have government money?

Bitcoins / cryptos (and gold/silver for physical transactions).

If we also contemplate consequences of a 30-60% population reduction (and how that affects BTC owners as well - removing BTCs from circulation for ever), BTC can explode.

That's an excellent point.

In case of a global Ebola outbreak, who gives a fuck about our little money experiment? Sound money will be weapons, ammo, canned food and medicines. The odds for survival in such a situation are more in favour of the most cruel and fittest men than in favour a bunch of bitcoin nerds like you and me, so pray your gods we will never have to witness such a catastrophic event in our lifetime.

True and in any catastrophic event , common things required for sustaining life will be much valuable than any crypto.
Activity: 518
Trust me!
So, it seems SecondMarket hasn't bought coins for 3 months now, is that accurate? Could this be because everyone's waiting for a definitive direction we're going or maybe the summer where the markets supposedly hibernate?
(Sorry to disturb your castle-talk!)
legendary
Activity: 2002
Merit: 1040

The Elite have always wanted to monitor money flows and Ebola, if it reaches worldwide scale, will give them the necessary excuse to ban cash (as one of an extensive list of "measures" to prevent virus spread).

So once cash is 100% digital, what is left to conduct transactions between individuals that do not want to use or do not have government money?

If we also contemplate consequences of a 30-60% population reduction (and how that affects BTC owners as well - removing BTCs from circulation for ever), BTC can explode.

In case of a global Ebola outbreak, who gives a fuck about our little money experiment? Sound money will be weapons, ammo, canned food and medicines. The odds for survival in such a situation are more in favour of the most cruel and fittest men than in favour a bunch of bitcoin nerds like you and me, so pray your gods we will never have to witness such a catastrophic event in our lifetime.

Uh yeah, this ^

I'm as long bitcoin as the lot of you, but you guys that think a major social or economic collapse will be some boon for BTC crack me up.

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Welcome to the new business lounge. Wine and cigars are on the house.

The intention of this thread is to post analysis on short to medium term fiat/BTC price developments, scenarios, portfolio allocation, etc. what fits the topic. No double bottoms, ad hominem, trolling or low level comments. As usual, your post will be deleted if not conforming to guidelines above.
interesested about this . nice warn and real rules for all .
mature forum.
Activity: 707
I have found another castle for you rpietila!!

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/08/this-cheap-1-2m-castle-in-scotland-will-cost-you-less-than-a-flat-in-london-4824671/

I think it also needs a bit of work.. but all the same. It's a nice castle! Perhaps supernode 2?

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Indeed, it's one big money pitt, once serious renovation starts you can see the money flowing away faster than bitcoin goes up, and most of the times those old buildings keep having moisture problems, because of bad work all those years ago. But hey, that's why it was so cheap to buy it in the first place...

I'm a builder by trade and you've got no idea what you're talking about. I'd take something built back then over the shitty mass produced buildings we have these days. Sure, they didn't have a lot of the special materials (and knowledge) we have these days to fight things like salt damp, however they were built tough, were labours of love and have oodles of character. I applaud Risto on his plans with this place. It may seem daunting on the outset but in the end; if done right, it will be something amazing

Not sure where you live, but where I live, new buildings are A LOT better build than the old ones, regarding insulation, most old buildings have mistakes like concrete floors touching the outer walls, causing moisture problems and cold creeping in, because there's no seperation with insulation. New buildings also have no salt damp. Wooden constructions in the old homes, like the roofs, are all poorly done. The list is endless. And those old houses are probably high end in other parts of the world...

Regarding structural strength, the new buildings are build tougher.

So from my point of view, you don't know what you are talking about and I wouldn't hire you as a builder.

The fact that old buildings were made with love and character doesn't make them better or change the fact that Risto his castle is going to be a big money pitt, if he is going to restore it according to western europe standards. And in the end he will have to deal with problems he probably can't fix to keep it financially viable, wich he wouldn't have had with a new building. But Risto has enough money, so no problem there.

Thanks for your input, but to me it looks like a poor response from a poor builder.

That's true. In the past, there were also different buildings of different quality levels. The past high quality houses can be better then some ultra-cheap modular houses that we see nowadays, but current high quality buildings are better then past high quality buildings, and current low quality building are better then past low quality buildings.
I think that the main fun starts when rpietila will start dealing with local Estonian contractors. We'll be probably reading a lot of whining and self-pity then.

Dealing with the local contractors and also dealing with the local government officials.  There's gotta be some regulatory restrictions when we are dealing with historical landmarks.. which will likely cause building restrictions.

Not only restrictions, but more headache and less BTC in your own pocket, but more fiat in their pocket.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 10832
Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"
Indeed, it's one big money pitt, once serious renovation starts you can see the money flowing away faster than bitcoin goes up, and most of the times those old buildings keep having moisture problems, because of bad work all those years ago. But hey, that's why it was so cheap to buy it in the first place...

I'm a builder by trade and you've got no idea what you're talking about. I'd take something built back then over the shitty mass produced buildings we have these days. Sure, they didn't have a lot of the special materials (and knowledge) we have these days to fight things like salt damp, however they were built tough, were labours of love and have oodles of character. I applaud Risto on his plans with this place. It may seem daunting on the outset but in the end; if done right, it will be something amazing

Not sure where you live, but where I live, new buildings are A LOT better build than the old ones, regarding insulation, most old buildings have mistakes like concrete floors touching the outer walls, causing moisture problems and cold creeping in, because there's no seperation with insulation. New buildings also have no salt damp. Wooden constructions in the old homes, like the roofs, are all poorly done. The list is endless. And those old houses are probably high end in other parts of the world...

So from my point of view, you don't know what you are talking about and I wouldn't hire you as a builder.

The fact that old buildings were made with love and character doesn't make them better or change the fact that Risto his castle is going to be a big money pitt, if he is going to restore it according to western europe standards. And in the end he will have to deal with problems he probably can't fix to keep it financially viable, wich he wouldn't have had with a new building. But Risto has enough money, so no problem there.

Thanks for your input, but to me it looks like a poor response from a poor builder.

That's true. In the past, there were also different buildings of different quality levels. The past high quality houses can be better then some ultra-cheap modular houses that we see nowadays, but current high quality buildings are better then past high quality buildings, and current low quality building are better then past low quality buildings.
I think that the main fun starts when rpietila will start dealing with local Estonian contractors. We'll be probably reading a lot of whining and self-pity then.

Dealing with the local contractors and also dealing with the local government officials.  There's gotta be some regulatory restrictions when we are dealing with historical landmarks.. which will likely cause building restrictions.

Indeed, although we need people like Risto to preserve old buildings that are of some culture significance.... I would naver have done it.

It's also not about how strong old buildings were built. But interior layout these days is also different than in the old days, giving additional costs to rearrange walls, etc.

But given plenty of money, there's no reason to doubt that this castle will look amazing.

FACT:

With the same amount of money, a new building would still be better, although it would lack the "castle" and "culture" themes.

Some people prefer nostalgia, me I prefer modern and comfort.

Jump to: