Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 124. (Read 907212 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
Portfolio recommendation:

99.5% in Bitcoin

0.3% of your wealth in gold

0.2% of your wealth in industrialized nation fiat currency of your choice

Spoiler: I'm the smartest one on this forum.

donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
Hasn't AnonyMint proved that Monero is not truly anonymous, certainly not to a "killer attribute" level? I've seen him tear it apart in a thread on here, and stayed away for that reason.

He proved that it is truly anonymous, in that he agrees that transactions are both cryptographically untraceable and unlinkable. He thinks that our decision to use i2p as a low-latency mixnet to disguise traffic is no going to prevent a determined attacker with lots of resources from ascertaining whether an individual (as in an IP address) is using Monero, but on that point we disagree. That notwithstanding, he does not fault the cryptography or the implementation behind Monero's transactional and address privacy.

AnonyMint's requirement for full anonymity is such that you cannot, even if you wanted (or under threat), provide any information on your own transactions, that would link you to the recipient or sender.

He thinks Monero is not fulfilling that.

Another highly respected contributor has said that NSA can mess with Monero but nobody else cannot, and this makes it an excellent vehicle for private transactions by parties who cooperate with government (such as corporations).
Activity: 427
Merit: 250
In regards to Monero: I don't see any sign of real development on GitHub, exception made for a few sporadic backports from bytecoin. Also the client is a memory hog (because it still loads the whole block chain in RAM) and in my opinion if they don't change that (like RIGHT NOW ffs) then in a few months it will be unusable even on a decent machine.

The Github repo is staging - dev doesn't get pushed to it until it's been tested, and even then the staging branch is not for production (that's what tagged releases are for). It would be absolutely insane to push commits straight into the staging branch, most especially because there ARE exchanges / miners / people who build straight off that branch, and if it contains bugs and falls apart we would lose credibility big time.

A month ago there were a handful of minor backports from Bytecoin, but there's nothing on the entire first page of commits that are anything but our work.

If you want to see the ongoing development, a good starting point is the Dev Diary in the weekly Monero Missives. A quick summary of the ongoing work would be:

Is there any effort being put towards minimization of blockchain bloat, which seems the biggest issue?
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1010
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
Not to derail the thread, but this discussion about Monero is merely a distraction to Bitcoin's adoption. People are overly concerned about anonymity. Don't keep all your wealth in Bitcoin. I think it's speculators wanting anonymity. If you want to invest in businesses that improve your community, then you don't want anonymity anyway. Bitcoin and gold are enough privacy.

I'd say with the mass surveillance going on, people are less concerned about anonymity than they should be. You don't know what all this information will be used to. It's not out of they question that they will hunt you down to confiscate your wealth or in other ways try to frame your for making various kinds of transactions that they deem unlawful.
Cameras will be everywhere anyway. There is no escaping the surveillance state. Just get used to it and take your anxiety meds.

From what I can read, the economics behind big government is just flawed, and therefore it will eventually fall, but that doesn't mean it won't try to save itself until the very end. And with that, it will hunt down as much wealth as possible. We'll see..
The recognition technology genie is out of the bottle. If not a state, then someone will use it.
legendary
Activity: 930
Not to derail the thread, but this discussion about Monero is merely a distraction to Bitcoin's adoption. People are overly concerned about anonymity. Don't keep all your wealth in Bitcoin. I think it's speculators wanting anonymity. If you want to invest in businesses that improve your community, then you don't want anonymity anyway. Bitcoin and gold are enough privacy.

I'd say with the mass surveillance going on, people are less concerned about anonymity than they should be. You don't know what all this information will be used to. It's not out of they question that they will hunt you down to confiscate your wealth or in other ways try to frame your for making various kinds of transactions that they deem unlawful.
Cameras will be everywhere anyway. There is no escaping the surveillance state. Just get used to it and take your anxiety meds.

From what I can read, the economics behind big government is just flawed, and therefore it will eventually fall, but that doesn't mean it won't try to save itself until the very end. And with that, it will hunt down as much wealth as possible. We'll see..
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
Was this the bottom? final capitulation? or another wave down?

No-one knows, I'm curious to find out though. Every time it's more extreme than you expect with Bitcoin. Yes, I'm mostly conservative in my predictions.
Activity: 722
Merit: 500
Just get used to it and take your anxiety meds.

No.
donator

Activity: 293
Merit: 250
Was this the bottom? final capitulation? or another wave down?
legendary
Activity: 930

donator
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
In regards to Monero: I don't see any sign of real development on GitHub, exception made for a few sporadic backports from bytecoin. Also the client is a memory hog (because it still loads the whole block chain in RAM) and in my opinion if they don't change that (like RIGHT NOW ffs) then in a few months it will be unusable even on a decent machine.

The Github repo is staging - dev doesn't get pushed to it until it's been tested, and even then the staging branch is not for production (that's what tagged releases are for). It would be absolutely insane to push commits straight into the staging branch, most especially because there ARE exchanges / miners / people who build straight off that branch, and if it contains bugs and falls apart we would lose credibility big time.

A month ago there were a handful of minor backports from Bytecoin, but there's nothing on the entire first page of commits that are anything but our work.

If you want to see the ongoing development, a good starting point is the Dev Diary in the weekly Monero Missives. A quick summary of the ongoing work would be:

donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Hasn't AnonyMint proved that Monero is not truly anonymous, certainly not to a "killer attribute" level? I've seen him tear it apart in a thread on here, and stayed away for that reason.

He proved that it is truly anonymous, in that he agrees that transactions are both cryptographically untraceable and unlinkable. He thinks that our decision to use i2p as a low-latency mixnet to disguise traffic is no going to prevent a determined attacker with lots of resources from ascertaining whether an individual (as in an IP address) is using Monero, but on that point we disagree. That notwithstanding, he does not fault the cryptography or the implementation behind Monero's transactional and address privacy.
legendary
Activity: 1473
Merit: 1086
Rpietila, what makes you think that Monero is getting stronger every day? What am I missing?

Well I am in active IRL & chat contact with many of the devs. They have convinced me that things are going on well, yet they are careful not to give me information that is not publicly accessible because we have a mutual feeling that my "adoption" of this coin is not what is actually happening and therefore should not be marketed as such.

But it is true that I see the enormous potential, even to replace Bitcoin, as the team in Monero is stronger, and the tech corrects the most glaring flaw of Bitcoin.

- As a result of Bitcoin trying to have a rudder (foundation), it was left entirely without one.

- A short time ago, people generally thought using Bitcoin keeps their finances private. Well, that's pretty far from the case.

I am not here (yet) to make convincing arguments why everyone should buy. The day will come, when the coin is ready. Short list:

- Best team

- Fairest launch of all coins

- Very good emission schedule

- Killer attribute (anonymity with ring sig)

Quite easy really. The coin will deliver if it can be transacted anonymously. Nothing else needed. And it can. But it is too difficult now.

Uhm no, his concerns were about a potential blockchain bloat issue because of the ring signatures and a potential scaling problem in the next 1-2 years. On the other hand, the anonymity technology is bleeding edge and working.
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
Rpietila, what makes you think that Monero is getting stronger every day? What am I missing?

Well I am in active IRL & chat contact with many of the devs. They have convinced me that things are going on well, yet they are careful not to give me information that is not publicly accessible because we have a mutual feeling that my "adoption" of this coin is not what is actually happening and therefore should not be marketed as such.

But it is true that I see the enormous potential, even to replace Bitcoin, as the team in Monero is stronger, and the tech corrects the most glaring flaw of Bitcoin.

- As a result of Bitcoin trying to have a rudder (foundation), it was left entirely without one.

- A short time ago, people generally thought using Bitcoin keeps their finances private. Well, that's pretty far from the case.

I am not here (yet) to make convincing arguments why everyone should buy. The day will come, when the coin is ready. Short list:

- Best team

Quite easy really. The coin will deliver if it can be transacted anonymously. Nothing else needed. And it can. But it is too difficult now.

donator

- Best team

legendary
Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000
Everyone and their hairdresser is now aware of bitcoin...

I ask at least one cab driver every week whether they have ever heard of bitcoin, and have done for the past year.  Keep in mind that these people are overwhelmingly recent immigrants who make regular remittances to family overseas, a first-order use case for bitcoin, which would save them as much as 10% on transfers of thousands of dollars each year.

Exactly one has ever heard of bitcoin.

Regular Joe wont go to bitcoin because of fear to be hacked. Unless one will create way to keep bitcoins safe from bad guys and easy system how to pay for goods and services, mainstreamers will stay away from BTC. Myself I'm tech guy and even I cannot sleep at night because of fear being hacked. Imagine someone not that techy, family with kids who use that computer to play games, install screensavers with all the viruses and keylogers. I dont see adoption without 100% security solution.

Fear of being hacked.  An easy to use and nearly unhackable wallet.  An easy to use and nearly unhackable means of obtaining bitcoin.  These are all still hurdles for the regular joe.  I had a 50 year old programmer co-worker on coinbase, trying to set up an account so he could start buying BTC.  The process was long enough and complicated enough that he got bored and put his money he was going to buy BTC with into a semi-legal online poker site.  Yes, he wasn't the guy that was going to send us to tha moon, but if someone who is technical can't figure out one of the currently easiest means of getting BTC, a non-technical person still has no shot.  Those things need to come out from the companies doing that work, and then we will see greater adoption rates.  

Regular Joe Six-Pack doesn't have the disposable income to buy bitcoin.  Between rent/mtg, fuel and food for starters, there isn't much left to "play" with - to put into some scammy-sounding-techno-hackable unknown that doesn't give instant gratification (see programmer co-worker story above). In addition, it is a PITA/expensive to convert from fiat and back again.

Now if Joe was paid in bitcoin, and paid his groceries in bitcoin, then we could imagine mass adoption and demand as possibilities.

But not now.  Joe Six-Pac is overwhelmed and clueless, and lacks the critical thinking skills to even ask the right questions.

ETA:  Just my .0001BTC
Activity: 728
Merit: 500

donator
I see no increased volume in the uptick. Things still look pretty weak to me.

I think his point was not to argue that. Things do look weak, and the point was to say that it may take one more year before turning better.

But the downside is so little that it still makes sense to be fully invested. Every week the adoption/infrastructure gets stronger, so you're on the winning side. Personally I don't think it'll take a year, rather a month. Meanwhile Monero is doing a really good job and looks much stronger if BTC looks weaker - a hedge, that is Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531
yes
Here is an interesting chart comparison between the great bubble of June 2011 and the November 2013 bubble. The general shape is that of a dampened oscillation. Because 2013 was a year in which two bubbles occurred, perhaps the November 2013 bubble will have a longer period of collapse than the April 2013 bubble.

This is the weekly chart from Mt. Gox from the 2011 bubble . . .

And here is the current weekly chart from Bitstamp . . .

I see no increased volume in the uptick. Things still look pretty weak to me.
Jump to: