Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 127. (Read 907212 times)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Look here's the problem im comfronting when I talk about Bitcoin to people:

1) They do not want to spend FIAT on it to access it. The see this as a waste of time, and they actually lose money due fee's.
2) They don't understand how something has volatile can be used as a currency.
3) People tend to hold BTC and use it as a store of value like Gold. They feel paying with BTC is as dumb as paying with a piece of Gold because anything you can buy with BTC, is available easier with cash/transaction.
4) They feel they are just serving the lucky early adopters while they get shit nothing.
5) The ATM machines are shit as demonstrated by the Tested video

How does that get solved so we can reach mass adoption? Unless legitimate jobs where you get paid good amounts of BTC arise, I dont see any other way to get legit amounts of BTC beyond risking FIAT into it in the first place. But of course, im not sure if people is going to want risking getting paid in BTC.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
Who's there?
Russians are very peaceful people, but they unlucky with their neighbors: all of them keep provoking them into  wars. That's how Russia become the biggest country in the world. Because of provocateur neighbors. The Finnish people are guilty of this too: you provoked them in 1939 to grab part of your country. You should be ashamed of it.

I don't know the truth about 1939, obviously as a Finn it is difficult for me to find out due to the official version being so ingrained since primary school.

But I am very ashamed of the current actions of our Prime Minister and many leading politicians, because during my conscious age, Russia has never provoked Finland, and always has acted very rationally and peacefully, trying to solidify good trade relations (that were lost with the fall of the Soviet Union). Now these foolish guardians of my motherland are seemingly trying hard to squander all this trust - developed over a generation - in one year, without getting anything in return. Well, themselves they receive a reward for sure, but the Finnish people receive suffering.

If you look at the last ~1000 years of history, there is a pattern of Russia and the western European monarchies using those countries that are geographically inbetween them as either cats paws or battlefields (I'm sure as a Finn you will be aware of the countless wars between Russia and Sweden, it could easily be interpreted as one long war by both against Finland itself). The issue was always something different, but is usually about as believable as so many attributed causes of wars.

Moderators have asked that the politics & society discussion would happen either in its own section, OR the Adam's Wall Observer, which is incurable. So let's abide by this from now on.
OK
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3079
Concur, there was no TA/speculation angle to that post. I have a bit of a non-conformist tendency when it comes to strict topics, in fact I'm probably one of the worst for it on the forum. 

Oh btw...

...are you even aware of the Happy donation thread? I gifted you 50 mBTC for your consistently high quality posting! Read more from my sig.

Smiley

I missed that thread... (ironically, I don't check into the off-topic sub  Cheesy) Reading up now
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
Concur, there was no TA/speculation angle to that post. I have a bit of a non-conformist tendency when it comes to strict topics, in fact I'm probably one of the worst for it on the forum. 

Oh btw...

...are you even aware of the Happy donation thread? I gifted you 50 mBTC for your consistently high quality posting! Read more from my sig.

Smiley
Activity: 686
Merit: 501
Stephen Reed
Here is a two-year, 7-day moving average, log chart of the number of unique Bitcoin addresses used, which is provided by Blockchain.info. Note the growth in the most recent few weeks which confirms the growth in Bitcoin transaction quantity noted in a previous post. Metcalfe's Law would indicate higher bitcoin prices, unless this fundamental trend reverses. Metcalfe's Law, as interpreted by Peter R for Bitcoin, says that prices are related to the square of the number of participants, i.e. nodes in an economic network.
[image removed]

How are they actually calculating the number of unique Bitcoin addresses used? I mean, if a Bitcoin address has been used, it can't be unused. Or is it simply the number of addresses that have been used within those 7 days?

Blockchain.info does not plainly show their data gathering algorithm for this series, so I suppose that the answer is from the title of the chart. I would iterate over the set of daily bitcoin transactions and count the number of unique addresses taken from the inputs and outputs. The seven day moving average is taken over the daily counts and can be displayed according to a charting option which I chose. Alternatively the raw data shows daily counts that clearly have a day-of-week component.

Here is a link to the chart with its default linear scale and daily data . . .

https://blockchain.info/charts/n-unique-addresses
legendary

Aww, but your off-topic posts are consistently interesting and well written! 

Well, I am pleased that someone gets something out of them! But, the timing is bad right after we've had a chunky thread split off from a well recognised perma-thread. Perma-threads can tolerate slightly more OT posting without spoiling the tone, but the boundaries will be periodically broken and reasserted. Fear not, it's not the end of my wilful digressions, I'll find a new opening  Grin (and I've got so little to add to the TA threads, it's all I have to offer)
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

Aww, but your off-topic posts are consistently interesting and well written! 

legendary
donator
Russians are very peaceful people, but they unlucky with their neighbors: all of them keep provoking them into  wars. That's how Russia become the biggest country in the world. Because of provocateur neighbors. The Finnish people are guilty of this too: you provoked them in 1939 to grab part of your country. You should be ashamed of it.

I don't know the truth about 1939, obviously as a Finn it is difficult for me to find out due to the official version being so ingrained since primary school.

But I am very ashamed of the current actions of our Prime Minister and many leading politicians, because during my conscious age, Russia has never provoked Finland, and always has acted very rationally and peacefully, trying to solidify good trade relations (that were lost with the fall of the Soviet Union). Now these foolish guardians of my motherland are seemingly trying hard to squander all this trust - developed over a generation - in one year, without getting anything in return. Well, themselves they receive a reward for sure, but the Finnish people receive suffering.

If you look at the last ~1000 years of history, there is a pattern of Russia and the western European monarchies using those countries that are geographically inbetween them as either cats paws or battlefields (I'm sure as a Finn you will be aware of the countless wars between Russia and Sweden, it could easily be interpreted as one long war by both against Finland itself). The issue was always something different, but is usually about as believable as so many attributed causes of wars.

Moderators have asked that the politics & society discussion would happen either in its own section, OR the Adam's Wall Observer, which is incurable. So let's abide by this from now on.
legendary

Activity: 350
Honest 80s business!
Here is a two-year, 7-day moving average, log chart of the number of unique Bitcoin addresses used, which is provided by Blockchain.info. Note the growth in the most recent few weeks which confirms the growth in Bitcoin transaction quantity noted in a previous post. Metcalfe's Law would indicate higher bitcoin prices, unless this fundamental trend reverses. Metcalfe's Law, as interpreted by Peter R for Bitcoin, says that prices are related to the square of the number of participants, i.e. nodes in an economic network.
[image removed]

How are they actually calculating the number of unique Bitcoin addresses used? I mean, if a Bitcoin address has been used, it can't be unused. Or is it simply the number of addresses that have been used within those 7 days?
Stephen Reed

donator
Russians are very peaceful people, but they unlucky with their neighbors: all of them keep provoking them into  wars. That's how Russia become the biggest country in the world. Because of provocateur neighbors. The Finnish people are guilty of this too: you provoked them in 1939 to grab part of your country. You should be ashamed of it.

In the old times that sort of people were called traitors.
Activity: 350
Honest 80s business!
The logistic model of bitcoin prices that I maintain shows a relatively large deviation downwards from the trendline that I hand fit back in November 2013. I plan to refit the trendline after the peak of the next  bubble whenever that is. It is difficult for me to believe that we are anywhere near the midpoint of adoption.

My model indicates that the trend price for today is $2,405 and obviously we are far beneath that price on Bitstamp.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArD8rjI3DD1WdFIzNDFMeEhVSzhwcEVXZDVzdVpGU2c

The adjusted number of bitcoin transactions chart from Blockchain.info suggests that fundamentally Bitcoin is resuming transaction quantity growth in the past few weeks . . .

That's a very nice graph! I think Bitcoin is indeed starting to grow again. there are a lot of people on holiday talking about Bitcoin with their spouses or people they meet in the ClubMed, and so people are opening up their own wallets. We'll see a large flow of new money when those people got home and get their first 1-2 paychecks after the holidays. Good times ahead!!!
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
An interesting discussion concerning 9/11 was moderated away from my thread.

I never intended to have a discussion, it is a disgusting subject. So many people still believe the lie that is touted by the administration that murdered those people there, the same one trying to kill enough people in Ukraine to make it believable that Putin would be provoked by it to start a war that only the banksters want.  Angry Maranata!

+1 Great points. Keep the reminder going...

LOL at the cognitive dissonance you are creating in people who respect and follow you, suddenly having to face a truth they had avoided.
And what about those using constant logical fallacies in their arguments suddenly. Hmmm, sounds like an important forum to control...

Its about sharing
donator
An interesting discussion concerning 9/11 was moderated away from my thread.

I never intended to have a discussion, it is a disgusting subject. So many people still believe the lie that is touted by the administration that murdered those people there, the same one trying to kill enough people in Ukraine to make it believable that Putin would be provoked by it to start a war that only the banksters want.  Angry Maranata!
Stephen Reed
The logistic model of bitcoin prices that I maintain shows a relatively large deviation downwards from the trendline that I hand fit back in November 2013. I plan to refit the trendline after the peak of the next  bubble whenever that is. It is difficult for me to believe that we are anywhere near the midpoint of adoption.

My model indicates that the trend price for today is $2,405 and obviously we are far beneath that price on Bitstamp.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArD8rjI3DD1WdFIzNDFMeEhVSzhwcEVXZDVzdVpGU2c

The adjusted number of bitcoin transactions chart from Blockchain.info suggests that fundamentally Bitcoin is resuming transaction quantity growth in the past few weeks . . .

Activity: 784
Merit: 1001
With the price moving sideways for so long, how long before the trendline is falsified? At some point, we'll have to conclude that an exponential model no longer applies, won't we? What if the vertical part of the S-curve already happened (in 2013) and we are now in a slow-growth phase approaching saturation?

I'm hodling, but for the first time in a long time I wonder whether bitcoin will ever have mass appeal. Will it be like Linux--fascinating to geeks but a bit too complicated for ordinary folk to adopt?

I remember wondering during the run-up above $1000 in November-December whether the trendline had been falsified and we were going to rise up even faster than previously expected. I immediately reminded myself that tremendous fluctuations both above and below the trendline are expected. I even said to myself that at some point in the future I'd probably be questioning the trend line due to a downtrend ... and here we are!

iow the current market is far from falsifying the trendline model. Keep hodling.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
With the price moving sideways for so long, how long before the trendline is falsified? At some point, we'll have to conclude that an exponential model no longer applies, won't we? What if the vertical part of the S-curve already happened (in 2013) and we are now in a slow-growth phase approaching saturation?

I'm hodling, but for the first time in a long time I wonder whether bitcoin will ever have mass appeal. Will it be like Linux--fascinating to geeks but a bit too complicated for ordinary folk to adopt?

GNU/Linux on the desktop has a 1.68% market share. For Bitcoin to have a similar market share of the world M1 money supply one would need a XBT/USD rate in the neighbourhood of 17,000 or more. So we have a ways to go yet with "just the geeks".

pa
Activity: 528

Jump to: