Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 159. (Read 907212 times)

legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
I believe the Universe is absolutely teeming with (intelligent) life, but not all life is in the form we can see or recognize yet. However I think we will make great discoveries in this matter within the next 100 years which will turn our entire world view upside down, if we don't kill ourselves beforehand that is. I actually wouldn't be surprised if we are already being visited, studied and observed by more advanced forms of life, and that they're keeping a low profile on purpose.

This 'revelation' of being part alien came to me...

I don't know......
However, every human carries on average 2.5% neanderthal DNA with some outliers 5% or above.
I believe that Ozzie has the high percentage, which he is very proud of...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcoweoZ6jpM

On a more serious note:
Multicellularity has evolved independently at least 46 times (on earth)
Eye (an organ of sight) has evolved independently 40-65 times
True Intelligence with sustained ability to create and manipulate environment-only ONCE in one or two primate species
If something happens just once-you don't know the probability of this event because of the observer bias. It could be 1:100000000000 chance or even lower.
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
I believe the Universe is absolutely teeming with (intelligent) life, but not all life is in the form we can see or recognize yet. However I think we will make great discoveries in this matter within the next 100 years which will turn our entire world view upside down, if we don't kill ourselves beforehand that is. I actually wouldn't be surprised if we are already being visited, studied and observed by more advanced forms of life, and that they're keeping a low profile on purpose.

Or perhaps 'we' have been visited, and studied by more advanced lifeforms tens of thousands of years ago, and modern man is the result of a little alien manipulation on a 'naturally evolving' ape species. Perhaps this is why modern man is alone in both his tendency and ability to exploit and detach himself from the environment which ultimately created him and sustains him.

This 'revelation' of being part alien came to me on a DMT trip. Although it seemed realer than real at the time, I don't know if its true or not. If it were true, how would we possibly know or 'proev' it, if this alien entity operated on a completely different plane of reality and time scale from what we can comprehend? Would a soldier ant in an ant colony in some university research station be able to even begin to fathom the existence of the teams of scientists who were responsible for ensuring the foundation of the ant colony (perhaps genetically engineered) or what their objectives might be? Of course not.
legendary
Activity: 1246
It is diffucult to calculate the unknowable probabilities.
As an example, Drake equation together with Kepler data suggest that life should be all over the Universe, but so far-no indication of intelligence being present anywhere else-Fermi's paradox. My point is-it is diffucult to calculate the true probability of an event when too many variables are involved.

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
In Adam's thread, I posted this, but I'm looking for actual rational intelligent feedback on updated BTC risk factors, so I repost here:

On a scale of 0 to 100, my risk factors are something like this:

Satoshi coins - .001% probability or less, impact 10, duration 3 = .0003
ECDSA vulnerability - .01% or less, impact 10, duration 2 = .002
Implementation vulnerability - 1% or less, impact 8, duration 1 = .008
Bitstamp defection - .1% or less, impact 8, duration 2 = .016
Social apocalypse - 1% or less, impact 6, duration 10 = .6
Mining centralization - 5% or less, impact 5, duration 5 = 1.25
Nuclear war - 2% or less, impact 8, duration 10 = 1.6
US AML Fungibility crisis - 20% or less, impact 9, duration 10 = 18
unknown unknown - NaN

Being rational, a hodler should try to plan for the risks, starting with the largest.  How do we deal with the US fungibility issue?
Do you see this as forcing ID to address mapping?  White- and black-listing addresses?

Is it time to anonymize our coins?  Would anonymizing the coins be likely to put us on the blacklist?

Personally, I like privacy.  Right now, there are too many people who can map me to my addresses.  I ought to fix that.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
Some interesting discussion in here, thanks to everyone contributing.
pa
Activity: 528
Merit: 501
As an example, Drake equation together with Kepler data suggest that life should be all over the Universe, but so far-no indication of intelligence being present anywhere else-Fermi's paradox. My point is-it is diffucult to calculate the true probability of an event when too many variables are involved.

If you were intelligent, would you call Earth?

As in Frank Herbert's "Dosadi Experiment," perhaps the Galactic civilization views us as so virulent that they're actively jamming signals that would allow us to infer their existence.
legendary

I would text..[to Satoshi] Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas

legendary
legendary
Isn't nuclear war probability too big? Impact would also depend on its scale.
I have an atypical view on this.  I think a Russian first strike is far more likely than just about anybody thinks, and getting likelier.  Any scale which would kill me I don't worry about, and just average the rest.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

And if you include nuclear war shouldn't you also include Harrington events, meteor impacts, plague, famine, etc?

I think you mean Carrington events: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859
Activity: 722
Merit: 500

And if you include nuclear war shouldn't you also include Harrington events, meteor impacts, plague, famine, etc?
Activity: 427
Merit: 250
Activity: 238
In Adam's thread, I posted this, but I'm looking for actual rational intelligent feedback on updated BTC risk factors, so I repost here:

unknown unknown - NaN

What is your timeframe for probabilities. If you have a long enough time frame 2 to 5 years, I would assign greater probabilities to - Implementation vulnerability(>1%) and ECDSA (>0.01%).
legendary
Is your scale really 0 to 100 or 0 to 10? Looks a bit off to me. . .

The maximum possible score is 100% probability * 10 impact * 10 duration.

I'm looking for things that could lead to a "bitcoin is dead" consensus over the next 365 days, and trying to exclude all else.
pa
Activity: 528
Merit: 501

unknown unknown - NaN

Is your scale really 0 to 100 or 0 to 10? Looks a bit off to me. . .
legendary

unknown unknown - NaN
legendary
Activity: 876
rpietila spirituality and philosophy observer thread Grin

It's only when other people than me start threads with "rpietila" in the header, then my victory is complete Wink

You yourself, already started a thread with my name in the header. So, you have a lot to learn, noob.
Activity: 134
play with "settings" -> "depth range"

for 1 minute max zoom you should switch it off, but even then you wouldn't see a lot more than right now
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
bitcoinwisdom auto-scale doesn't like me:

anyone know how to fix the scaling so I can actually see bars?
Jump to: