Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 161. (Read 907212 times)

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
Reality is made of language and money is a language, too.

If you take the language and make it programming language, it's spot on.

Some of the scientists who are not so afraid to step out of linear/group thinking are beginning to understand and express that the fabric of reality is information and code, while the bing bang is something like ...a PC "booting" loading the OS.

This reality has hardcoded constants for what constitutes "money". These constants are gold and silver.

When fiat money was adopted, it wasn't really a systemic rebellion of humans vs the "program". Fiat was primarily used by the Elite so that the commoners can have their paper scam while they hoard the gold. So it was still recognized that gold is the #1 and paper was just a substitute so that they can acquire more of it. Gold was considered too precious to be in circulation and owned by the billions of people, so it was "devalued" in the eyes of the public and rendered "useless" compared to fiat money - which allowed the debt-slavery system to leech people of their resources and gold.

Bitcoin represents a systemic rebellion because it is "coded" money. The people living inside the coded virtual reality have now coded their own money to bypass existing structures. This dynamic is extremely fierce because multiple factors collide:

- Gold and Silver are hardcoded so they can't be beaten
- The fiat scam is vulnerable to the Bitcoin model - although the political power can influence adoption
- The global electronic currency which they have been planning now has a better "alternative" (Bitcoin) which will not be issued as debt or controlled by the Elite in the same manner (hierarchical/centralized vs P2P)
legendary
Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163
Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos
eheheh, I listened to those two guys so much. I actually combined the two there. I remember now that it was Watts with the Apples and Peoples example. And thanks for that link, I'm going to show it in class. ;-)

Watts & McKenna, together with Robert Anton Wilson are something of a trinity of people who shaped my way of thinking more than any others. I have pretty much listened to everything ever recorded by them, many things more than once. This is how I can tell from your way of communicating, that you did, too Smiley

All three of them had a very clear understanding of the dangerous hubris of trying to "improve" upon the immense complexity of the natural order by using universal systems thought up with our tiny monkey brains. George Carlin understood this as well and might have articulated this particular point most clearly.

Reality is made of language and money is a language, too. The sooner we understand this on a society-wide cultural level, the sooner we can begin repairing the damage wrought by letting a handful of individuals define reality through language and control it from the top down, where they don't have any accurate feedback about what is going on anywhere and thus mess up everything.

Agreed on Andreas as the McKenna of Bitcoin. I've had that thought occur to me, as well. Seems we think alike Smiley

Activity: 441
Merit: 250
1. After I place an order, continually modify the order to outbid/outask other traders by $.01.

I don't think you want this. Think about what the result would be if two people used this same logic on the same exchange...

2. Buy/sell on a cross of the 1H or 4H MACD once I have decided that this is what I want to do - So I can stop watching the MACD and go to sleep. It wouldn't do this all the time - just a one-time thing when I tell it to.

Sounds simple enough. Is there a authoritative data source for the MACD or do you calculate it yourself?
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005
I set up a few automated charts here for anyone interested:
http://ripple.tech-trader.net/?pair=BTC-USD

Main value of the algos there are the trendlines and support/resistance drawing, which are strength-weighted based on how well the levels are tested.  I'm also working on a few automated strategies for the trading itself if anyone's interested in collaborating.

I'm mainly watching to see if the support at $550 holds.  If not, I'd expect a test of the next closest trendline below that.

The buy signal from Tech Trader a few days back ended up working quite well.  Is anyone else taking an automated approach to this?
I think the divergence pattern was obvious and didn't need any tools. The eye looking at raw price and volume is the best tool.

The point of my post was that the automation is good enough to catch and trade these setups on its own. I didn't mean you needed it as a crutch to guide your trading. That's not what it's meant for.  I was asking if anyone was doing anything like this as well (fully automated swing trading, not just using tools). My own trading is still often better than the automation, but it's nice to know I can walk away if I needed to or focus on other things with my time. Smiley

I'm looking into writing a trading bot, but I don't know how to make one yet, I'm trying to learn it. I don't trust third party bots so I want to make it myself.

Don't. They cannot see what people can see. Trade yourself, even if it's two trades a day. You're so much better on your own than using bots.

Well, more correctly i was thinking about an arbitrage bot, which do not really need market knowledge that much, they only have to know if the arbitrage will be profitable or not.

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
One option with custom bots is to use the API to make things more efficient, but stop short of trying to make an algorithm to automate all the trading.

Exactly. I want a bot that I can use to automate certain instructions at occasional times when I tell it to, so that I don't have to do them manually. This might include:

1. After I place an order, continually modify the order to outbid/outask other traders by $.01.

2. Buy/sell on a cross of the 1H or 4H MACD once I have decided that this is what I want to do - So I can stop watching the MACD and go to sleep. It wouldn't do this all the time - just a one-time thing when I tell it to.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
well articulated post

[snip]

As Terrence McKenna said, We are a part of Nature, we come from it. Just as an apple tree apples, the Earth peoples.  Shocked

This was actually Alan Watts, not the psychedelic bard. Well stated otherwise - Bitcoin is here to disrupt our perception of money and in that process might even make itself useless. But that will be a sign of progress and a good thing if it happens. Personally I don't think we are heading into a moneyless society any time soon. Just the concept of money and how we use it will be more clearly defined and understood by a wider range of people, thus allowing it to have more desirable characteristics. With digital, frictionless currencies, money can become just a way of expressing and keeping track who and what is valued by society in general instead of a means of enslavement.

eheheh, I listened to those two guys so much. I actually combined the two there. I remember now that it was Watts with the Apples and Peoples example. And thanks for that link, I'm going to show it in class. ;-)

But it was McKenna who said something along the lines of "We come from nature, we are of it, and those in control only think they are control. And if you think you are
larger than nature and can control it, then no no no little man, think again." I chopped that up bad, heard it in a podcast years ago and can't find the text. Watts often
spoke a bit similarly I believe, been years since I've listened to him.

My hope is that BTC, being as disruptive as it is, is going to get people really questioning what money is and was. It will help redefine money for us. I like what Andreas Anonopolous said about Bitcoin being a language of money: "I started thinking about currency as a means of expression. You see, money at the very root of it is a language, it’s a language that we use to express value to each other." Taken from this talk: http://altcoinpress.com/2014/04/andreas-antonopoulos-cryptocurrency-is-a-language/ Funnily enough, I have often referred to Andreas as the Terrence McKenna of Cryptos. He is a Bard as well.

I do see BTC as something to usher in something that is beyond the event horizon of most. At this point I can smell it buy can't quite define what is cooking.  Grin

Regarding not being close to a moneyless society, I think the number of variables to find out that answer is huge and don't put it past nature to point us in that direction, maybe gracefully, maybe violently. Anything can happen when you change those variables. I'm not saying it does happen soon however as it looks decades away minimally from our current society.

Nice post,
IAS
legendary
This was actually Alan Watts, not the psychedelic bard. Well stated otherwise - Bitcoin is here to disrupt our perception of money and in that process might even make itself useless. But that will be a sign of progress and a good thing if it happens. Personally I don't think we are heading into a moneyless society any time soon. Just the concept of money and how we use it will be more clearly defined and understood by a wider range of people, thus allowing it to have more desirable characteristics. With digital, frictionless currencies, money can become just a way of expressing and keeping track who and what is valued by society in general instead of a means of enslavement.

You don't reckon?

How old are you? Are you old enough to remember how you got paid your wages, and bought and paid for most things in the 80's. 95% Cash, 5% Cheque book?

and then electronic banking came along and by the mid 90s, 95% electronic payments, 5% cash?

I would suggest that we are almost already living in a cashless society.

If we're talking about a cashless society then I agree - I think we'll be seeing that pretty soon.

I was talking about a moneyless society, though. One where the concept of money itself has faded into obscurity and been replaced by a radically different form of resource allocation. I can't see that coming any time soon (sorry Zeitgeisters).
Activity: 840

You don't reckon?

How old are you? Are you old enough to remember how you got paid your wages, and bought and paid for most things in the 80's. 95% Cash, 5% Cheque book?

and then electronic banking came along and by the mid 90s, 95% electronic payments, 5% cash?

I would suggest that we are almost already living in a cashless society.
legendary
well articulated post

[snip]

As Terrence McKenna said, We are a part of Nature, we come from it. Just as an apple tree apples, the Earth peoples.  Shocked

Activity: 30
Merit: 0
I'm looking into writing a trading bot, but I don't know how to make one yet, I'm trying to learn it. I don't trust third party bots so I want to make it myself.

Don't. They cannot see what people can see. Trade yourself, even if it's two trades a day. You're so much better on your own than using bots.

I agree, but I'd still recommend everybody who can program to write a bot or to play around with the existing ones. You learn a lot about different strategies, indicators and you can backtest your ideas very quickly. Many people think they can easily beat the market with simple strategies like EMA crossover and don't realize that you can waste a lot of money when you have the wrong parameters. Even if you end up trading manually or even if you come to the conclusion that buy & hold is better for your needs, it pays off to invest some time to implement and backtest a bot.
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
Well we all have our different goals - I'm actually aiming for fully automated.  You can't use set thresholds or static rules to achieve that (I'm working with ML, image recognition, etc).  I'm not going to try to change people's minds on this if they're already set against it, but if anyone else happens to be working something similar, it'd be nice to team up. Smiley
Activity: 193
Merit: 117
HODL
One option with custom bots is to use the API to make things more efficient, but stop short of trying to make an algorithm to automate all the trading.
legendary
Activity: 981
No maps for these territories
Seriously thinking in programming a trading creature in java... then I realised how buggy the APIs are (looking at alts here poloniex/mintpal, just to see if can work).

I didn´t finished it just for the APIs, but if you find a more serious/performing ones you can get some benefits, at least arbitring with the fastest transaction altcoins and tweeking some dials until you find your hotspot
Activity: 812
Merit: 587
Space Lord

Main value of the algos there are the trendlines and support/resistance drawing, which are strength-weighted based on how well the levels are tested.  I'm also working on a few automated strategies for the trading itself if anyone's interested in collaborating.

I'm mainly watching to see if the support at $550 holds.  If not, I'd expect a test of the next closest trendline below that.

The buy signal from Tech Trader a few days back ended up working quite well.  Is anyone else taking an automated approach to this?
I think the divergence pattern was obvious and didn't need any tools. The eye looking at raw price and volume is the best tool.

The point of my post was that the automation is good enough to catch and trade these setups on its own. I didn't mean you needed it as a crutch to guide your trading. That's not what it's meant for.  I was asking if anyone was doing anything like this as well (fully automated swing trading, not just using tools). My own trading is still often better than the automation, but it's nice to know I can walk away if I needed to or focus on other things with my time. Smiley

legendary
Activity: 1106

Main value of the algos there are the trendlines and support/resistance drawing, which are strength-weighted based on how well the levels are tested.  I'm also working on a few automated strategies for the trading itself if anyone's interested in collaborating.

I'm mainly watching to see if the support at $550 holds.  If not, I'd expect a test of the next closest trendline below that.

The buy signal from Tech Trader a few days back ended up working quite well.  Is anyone else taking an automated approach to this?

legendary
Activity: 1498
So how many log units below the trendline are we now?

Are we still on track for $1,000,000 in 2017?
You do understand that you suffer from depression, right?

Lol. That might actually be true. It would explain a lot of things.
Paleo diet + crossfit and you are out!  Wink Cool
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

Lol. That might actually be true. It would explain a lot of things.
legendary
Activity: 1498

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

legendary
Activity: 2044
Divergence only works with no margin and averaging in, but then again avging in on a losing trade is a no no according to livermore.
Jump to: