Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 163. (Read 907212 times)

legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005
Experienced trader here: Buy with risk $400.

Closer to risk better reward.

If the terms were not an issue (ie. I had full trust on the seller that coins go to the highest bidder, and only $200k deposit per lot was needed) I might bid for two lots at $500 and $4xx for a short-medium term arbitrage play. Lower than that is probably dreaming - and if it should happen, they get sold in the exchanges anyway where it's possible to pick them up.

mtgox volume wasn't replaced... so I don't think we are at the correct settling price... I think $400 is a potential bottom but may not stop on the way down... I changed my mind and unless I see substantial gain in volume per day I think price is vastly overpriced...but this is a great thing for bit coin and its ability to attract a wider audience.

You are wrong in believing that the volume is a fundamental input for price rise. Even if you subscribe to the Keynesian quantity of money theory, which is wrong, but includes money velocity, you are wrong, because purely financial transactions are not included in the velocity. The price rise you see with volume (sometimes, not during dumps!) is from the people who were on the sidelines, then changed their minds and went in.

I really dont understand why you cant get it. Volume on exchange = demand, Block rate = supply.

Maybe you need to trade for longer.

My gawd. How can volume on exchange equal demand? Have you not heard about sellers?

Btc usd volume is key. I dont use total volume as indication the trick is to find buying volume.. I have my own way to calculatethat on the safe side.. seems to work for most coins.
legendary
Activity: 1512

If the terms were not an issue (ie. I had full trust on the seller that coins go to the highest bidder, and only $200k deposit per lot was needed) I might bid for two lots at $500 and $4xx for a short-medium term arbitrage play. Lower than that is probably dreaming - and if it should happen, they get sold in the exchanges anyway where it's possible to pick them up.

mtgox volume wasn't replaced... so I don't think we are at the correct settling price... I think $400 is a potential bottom but may not stop on the way down... I changed my mind and unless I see substantial gain in volume per day I think price is vastly overpriced...but this is a great thing for bit coin and its ability to attract a wider audience.

You are wrong in believing that the volume is a fundamental input for price rise. Even if you subscribe to the Keynesian quantity of money theory, which is wrong, but includes money velocity, you are wrong, because purely financial transactions are not included in the velocity. The price rise you see with volume (sometimes, not during dumps!) is from the people who were on the sidelines, then changed their minds and went in.

I really dont understand why you cant get it. Volume on exchange = demand, Block rate = supply.

My gawd. How can volume on exchange equal demand? Have you not heard about sellers?

legendary

Activity: 336
Merit: 250
I don't really understand why you are short-term worried of the share of one pool. I heard that in 24 hours, it had shrunk from 51% to 34%, which means that the community was able to redirect 1/3 of the hashing previously sent to Ghash to other pools. IN 24 HOURS! In decentralized way! Wow.

It remains somewhat of a concern that a malicious entity can own 76% of the hashing power, but a pool where people voluntarily send 51% is not a realistic threat to the Bitcoin ecosystem. Calm down. The problem was solved already, proving that it was not much of a problem.

I'll bite.

Who would be the malicious entity wielding 76% hashing power? Government buyout of two or three large mining pools? What is 76% representative of?
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
I don't really understand why you are short-term worried of the share of one pool. I heard that in 24 hours, it had shrunk from 51% to 34%, which means that the community was able to redirect 1/3 of the hashing previously sent to Ghash to other pools. IN 24 HOURS! In decentralized way! Wow.

It remains somewhat of a concern that a malicious entity can own 76% of the hashing power, but a pool where people voluntarily send 51% is not a realistic threat to the Bitcoin ecosystem. Calm down. The problem was solved already, proving that it was not much of a problem.
Activity: 263
Merit: 280
Ghash.io 51% mining control could only be useful for double spending. That's all.
So don't sell your BTCs because of this FUD.

No, that's not all.  They could take 100% of the mining rewards by only building on their own blocks, knocking everyone else out of the mining business so that they then control 100% of the mining.  They could also halt the network and destroy it completely.   

And you're going to say "but they can't steal coins".  So what?  They can make everyone's coins value drop to zero, which is about the same as stealing them from any coin holder's standpoint.

So then you might say "but why would they destroy the network?  They'll lose money too."  We don't even know who "they" are.  Maybe that was their intent all along, or maybe a government agency is going to compensate them.  Given what's at stake you can't just ignore this risk.

They would need much bigger mining percentage to be able to do what you say.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
rpietila, what do you think will now happen when Wall Street started trading Bitcoin. Do you think it's good or bad?

Good initially. Bad over the long run. Good initially because they'll pump the price getting in. After that, they have a million tricks to play.

They certainly have a million tricks - manipulating news, huge liquidity to move the price, etc. But, there is the rest of the world involved
here, and no derivatives, naked short selling, etc. which they no longer have at there disposal - I get the feeling once BTC gets going, there bag of
tricks will be much smaller.

But, ass long as they have "the" or "a" reserve currency at their disposal, they can certainly make things extremely
ugly. Buying and selling huge amounts to make BTC very volatile (like we have not yet seen) is a worry. They might be able to effectively neuter it.
Could you imagine them buying the complete order book up, then dumping everything? When you can print money, why not? When you can hide
behind countries, people, etc. why not?
But I think rather than that they will try to utilize it...

IAS

Re tricks: Would you pay dollars for a contract to be able to sometime in the future, not to receive a certain weight of gold, but to receive dollars for that weight at the current gold price? That is essentially the paper gold market. Maybe you would, because you can not buy a bank quality gold bar, divide it in parts, keep them for a while, sell one part to someone in India, another part to someone in China, without incurring cost for storage, protection, transport, regeneration and assaying. You also get, with paper, near perfect liquidity.

But would you do the same with bitcoin? Probably not.

The paper gold adds volume to the physical gold, and thus depresses the price of gold. I'm quite convinced that paper bitcoin (in the gold paper sense, not paper wallets!) will be offered, but will not play an important role.

We are talking about something Disruptive in BTC. We all know how powerful, manipulative and dangerous, etc. the derivatives market is. My hope is that the disruptive force spawns more disruptions, which I think is a given. Little Black Swans are among us... (And the event horizon is short, hard to see imo.) I don't think it can be easily steered, at least past a point in time. Sometimes those in control, only think they are in control, and when they realize they are not, well, then they are not. We seem to be approaching that space in time.

I don't see bitcoin as the solution. It is still money and if it exists in 50 years or further into the future, I think we will have failed as a species. But, it is a destabilizing step in the right direction. It gets us questioning what money is and such. That is more important than BTC imo. Taking away the power of others to create our realities. I am very open to a money that just acts as an exchange, and can in no way give you power over others. Perhaps that is just understanding, but in the interim it might be time based or involve other "stepping stones".

To answer your question, I will not get involved in contracts and that form of speculation. Not being evasive, I'm just saying it doesn't much matter to me. The quicker that profiting/manipulative system is gone, the better. I'm glad in a way that we at least have a chance for some change. I am, or rather was, extremely familiar with the manipulated precious metals markets, but still have something resembling hope, but not exactly that. Maybe trust?

As Terrence McKenna said, We are a part of Nature, we come from it. Just as an apple tree apples, the Earth peoples.  Shocked
And to think that we can actually guide it, is a bit illusory (or something like that).

Its about sharing
legendary
rpietila, what do you think will now happen when Wall Street started trading Bitcoin. Do you think it's good or bad?

Good initially. Bad over the long run. Good initially because they'll pump the price getting in. After that, they have a million tricks to play.

They certainly have a million tricks - manipulating news, huge liquidity to move the price, etc. But, there is the rest of the world involved
here, and no derivatives, naked short selling, etc. which they no longer have at there disposal - I get the feeling once BTC gets going, there bag of

But, ass long as they have "the" or "a" reserve currency at their disposal, they can certainly make things extremely
ugly. Buying and selling huge amounts to make BTC very volatile (like we have not yet seen) is a worry. They might be able to effectively neuter it.
Could you imagine them buying the complete order book up, then dumping everything? When you can print money, why not? When you can hide

IAS

Re tricks: Would you pay dollars for a contract to be able to sometime in the future, not to receive a certain weight of gold, but to receive dollars for that weight at the current gold price? That is essentially the paper gold market. Maybe you would, because you can not buy a bank quality gold bar, divide it in parts, keep them for a while, sell one part to someone in India, another part to someone in China, without incurring cost for storage, protection, transport, regeneration and assaying. You also get, with paper, near perfect liquidity.

But would you do the same with bitcoin? Probably not.

The paper gold adds volume to the physical gold, and thus depresses the price of gold. I'm quite convinced that paper bitcoin (in the gold paper sense, not paper wallets!) will be offered, but will not play an important role.

Activity: 812
Merit: 587
Space Lord

IAS

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. They could crush Bitcoin if they wanted to. Let's just hope Bitcoin goes mainstream before that happens.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile

IAS
Activity: 378
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

Activity: 812
Merit: 587
Space Lord
Activity: 338

Exchange volume is not a good indicator in my opinion.

A better indicator would be the volume of BTC that is transacted each day, measured in USD.
https://blockchain.info/fr/charts/estimated-transaction-volume-usd

We are much higher than in 2013, but not exponentially higher.

It does not look to me like price is vastly overpriced. But the price level given by the trendline certainly is.
legendary
Note that comparative publicized volume is no longer a valid measure of activity post-MtGox for a combination of several reasons:

1. Scams, hacks, insolvencies... The volume coming through public exchanges are a fraction of what they were in the past due to loss of public trust. Even now, Bitstamp with its impossible KYC/AML procedure is being put to the question of whether it is solvent or not.

2. With the advent of services like BitPay and Coinbase, many merchants and customers are finding themselves off-chain.

3. Bitcoin has gotten way more expensive, each bitcoin transacted represent a lot more value now. My observation is that though the volume in terms of BTC has gone down, the aggregate value transacted has gone up.

Bottom line: Don't put too much weight in volume.

Volume is everything... #3 is moot point since this just means we are overbought is you think # of coins transacted is too high compared to price. At some point price will stabilize based on number of new coins bought per day vs sellers of older coins... this is where volume comes into play... I usually divide by 10 to be safe.

#1 means we are overpriced too...

#2 is valid.. not sure about offline tx but may be alot less and negligible compared to exchange volume (most people still buy bitcoins online vs offline... i dont care that much about one time transactions.. but daily volume is more important to determine equilibrium.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Note that comparative publicized volume is no longer a valid measure of activity post-MtGox for a combination of several reasons:

1. Scams, hacks, insolvencies... The volume coming through public exchanges are a fraction of what they were in the past due to loss of public trust. Even now, Bitstamp with its impossible KYC/AML procedure is being put to the question of whether it is solvent or not.

2. With the advent of services like BitPay and Coinbase, many merchants and customers are finding themselves off-chain.

3. Bitcoin has gotten way more expensive, each bitcoin transacted represent a lot more value now. My observation is that though the volume in terms of BTC has gone down, the aggregate value transacted has gone up.

Bottom line: Don't put too much weight in volume.
legendary

legendary
anyone have a link to total average exchange volume traded for bitcoin per day? I want to know how many btc are being traded on the big exchanges.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Downtrend or not, how low do oyu seriously think it will go?

I think $550 is as low as it gets. And even that was much lower than i ever expected it to be.

Looking at the selling pressure today, I really would not rule out breaking 550. We might very well test the green support line that pftq was drawing a few posts ago. It is currently around 520. If 520 would not hold, there is not much technical support until 440.

But I hope 550 holds fine and we rebound now.

While $550 seems the "right" value for the correction, I guess the downtrend will continue until the auction closes so it can break the $500 line before rebound
Activity: 338
Downtrend or not, how low do oyu seriously think it will go?

I think $550 is as low as it gets. And even that was much lower than i ever expected it to be.

Looking at the selling pressure today, I really would not rule out breaking 550. We might very well test the green support line that pftq was drawing a few posts ago. It is currently around 520. If 520 would not hold, there is not much technical support until 440.

But I hope 550 holds fine and we rebound now.
Jump to: