Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 271. (Read 907212 times)

Activity: 236
Merit: 100
BS. That was sales tax and Amazon collected it directly on checkout. It was no hassle at all.

No.  Look it up.  They didn't collect state sales tax for years.  For example they started collecting CA state sales tax in 2012.
Quote from: AnonyMint link=topic=400235.msg6003364#msg6003364

Lots of tiny gains for every day transactions. No you won't. Even I won't. Hassle. Major hassle.

And don't tell me about software. I have a word for you n00bs:

interoperability

I am software guy. You are not.

Exactly.  Tiny gains that nobody will bother to report accurately, and nobody will bother to enforce.

Software is not even relevant here, but I'm a software guy.
Activity: 518
Merit: 521

About the tax planning+timing issue. You just don't get it. Normal people already have no incentive to use Bitcoin and now they will really stay away from it. Why fuck with the hassle? Most people don't even know what a Schedule D is.

New software? Have you tried using H&R Block? I do every year, and they are the experts on simplification. My ex can't figure it out. I have to do her taxes this week.

I'm sorry but this is nonsense.  For years people were required to declare and pay state sales tax on everything they bought from Amazon.com.   Guess how many people stayed away from Amazon because of this?  None.  Either they did the accounting work or they just fucking ignored the IRS.  Eventually Amazon was pressured into collecting the tax because the state governments had no way to enforce it.

I suspect Americans will do exactly the same with bitcoin CG that they did with Amazon state sales tax.  It will be an inconsequential amount for 95% of users, they will ignore it and the IRS will do jack squat about it.  It will cost more to audit than the revenue it will bring in.

BS. That was sales tax and Amazon collected it directly on checkout. It was no hassle at all.
the common man is not. He has all sorts of things to balance, such as reporting his unemployment assistance, tax credits, solar installation energy credit, alternative minimum tax, etc....

It would be a very uncommon man who managed the complexity of the tax code at that level of detail.  I think the overwhelming majority either outsource tax concerns and take general advice from experts, or simply don't plan at all.  Definitely a software development opportunity in any case.

I still want to know who AnonyMint is referring to that is going to get burned by the IRS policy on bitcoin.

Read my prior post, I said it is not so much about getting burned rather about it not being worth the hassle.

I have friends who work in call centers. Do you realize how many Americans can't figure out how to turn on their cell phone?

Even my mother who is intelligent would never use Bitcoin if it means another form for her to add to her IRS filing. I asked her.

It's not poor people, they owe no tax at all.

They collect the most refunds.

It's not rich people, they are already accustomed to handling CG with their other investments, and their use of bitcoin as a currency will incur negligible CG tax compared to their investment activity.

The rich people are not the target market for a currency. If we are talking about the fundamental adoption among white males, I already agreed this hasn't been affected.

It's not middle class people like me - given a choice between taxes on gains and no gains at all, I choose gains.

Lots of tiny gains for every day transactions. No you won't. Even I won't. Hassle. Major hassle.

And don't tell me about software. I have a word for you n00bs:

interoperability

I am software guy. You are not.

About the tax planning+timing issue. You just don't get it. Normal people already have no incentive to use Bitcoin and now they will really stay away from it. Why fuck with the hassle? Most people don't even know what a Schedule D is.

New software? Have you tried using H&R Block? I do every year, and they are the experts on simplification. My ex can't figure it out. I have to do her taxes this week.

I'm sorry but this is nonsense.  For years people were required to declare and pay state sales tax on everything they bought from Amazon.com.   Guess how many people stayed away from Amazon because of this?  None.  Either they did the accounting work or they just fucking ignored the IRS [Edit: state department of revenue].  Eventually Amazon was pressured into collecting the tax because the state governments had no way to enforce it.

I suspect Americans will do exactly the same with bitcoin CG that they did with Amazon state sales tax.  It will be an inconsequential amount for 95% of users, they will ignore it and the IRS will do jack squat about it.  It will cost more to audit than the revenue it will bring in.
the common man is not. He has all sorts of things to balance, such as reporting his unemployment assistance, tax credits, solar installation energy credit, alternative minimum tax, etc....

It would be a very uncommon man who managed the complexity of the tax code at that level of detail.  I think the overwhelming majority either outsource tax concerns and take general advice from experts, or simply don't plan at all.  Definitely a software development opportunity in any case.

I still want to know who AnonyMint is referring to that is going to get burned by the IRS policy on bitcoin.

It's not poor people, they owe no tax at all.

It's not rich people, they are already accustomed to handling CG with their other investments, and their use of bitcoin as a currency will incur negligible CG tax compared to their investment activity.

It's not middle class people like me - given a choice between taxes on gains and no gains at all, I choose gains.
Activity: 665
Merit: 500
I have a question to the bears. If the price does in fact go the other way at what level will you start buying back? At what level will you panik buy?

lol

I don't think you get it.

You sell when there is upside momentum. You buy / accumulate back when there is downside momentum. One does not simply panic anything. Shorts don't panic buy or panic sell, those who did lost their money long ago and are out of the game. This is why I do not have a short position as of right now.

Don't be fooled into thinking that shorts will panic buy this to the moon. Bears kill rallies they don't participate in them.

So you are a momentum trader. How has that worked out for you with bitcoin?
The other near-term implication of the tax ruling is the margin call on miners who have to get cash before April 15.

Ditto in China apparently with April 15 deadline to sell and get out before exchanges close.

So we have perhaps persistent selling for next 2 weeks.

Do you realize how stupid Americans are? They voted for Obama.  Cheesy

None of that affects the fundamental adoption by fanatical white males, but it is enough to bust the bubble run we've had and cause capitulation among all the weak hands.

And I think there are a lot of newbies that bought at $600 - $1000 who are sweating it right now.

Then there are those who are sure it can't go lower than $400. Some of them might capitulate as it breaks down from there.

We don't have the system of Sweden. IN the USA, everyone is afraid of the IRS. Or at least they don't want to add hassle with IRS just to use some stupid technobabble money that they don't need any way.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Who needs sleep when they mistake a joke for a serious statement?

Can't you tell that I see you are emotionally flustered and I am poking you. Now you played your pride card.
Its just an excuse to talk about the castle, dont be alarmed
I don't see enough capitulation yet. Risto needs to buy too high first.  Grin

Now I see that you need sleep. I have as many bitcoins now as I had a year ago, but bought a castle and have sizable fiat reserves with the profits. "buying too high" can only attributed to my name if the speaker does not see the picture  Wink

Who needs sleep when they mistake a joke for a serious statement?

Can't you tell that I see you are emotionally flustered and I am poking you. Now you played your pride card.

Risto you will talk all strong then if it goes lower you will say you only put 60% odds on it bottoming. You try to play both sides and always be seen as correct.
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

Now I see that you need sleep. I have as many bitcoins now as I had a year ago, but bought a castle and have sizable fiat reserves with the profits. "buying too high" can only attributed to my name if the speaker does not see the picture  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
Allow me to an express a view on the factual points you raised, creekbore:

I'm talking about the fact that the news, satire programs, newspapers, magazines etc ridicule BTC.

All press is good press.  Just wait until the next wave of pedophiles and terrorists.

I talk to people about BTC and they think I'm a crank.

Always true of the vanguard.  It means there's a lot of upside.

The IRS statement,

Good news.  Institutional money would not touch it until there was tax clarity.

China's slow strangulation of BTC,

Admittedly painful, but to be expected, and not in any way fatal.

Gox,

That's over.

the FUD surrounding NeoBee

NeoBee is rather minor.  Cyprus?  Noise.

The bid/sum ratio is dreadful, you can't dispute the numbers

Bids 50% out from the book can't be taken seriously.

You bring up adoption metrics but I actually raised this issue -- most of the data available through blockchain suggest adoption is going very poorly.  But instead lets focus on a single set of data (increased BTC addresses) ...but I use a new address for withdrawals and deposits everytime I do a BTC tx.  I suspect many do the same, so this data is meaningless.  No-one comments on this.

You are mistaken regarding which number I deem significant.  New addresses is not significant.  The number of active addresses during a rolling window is the best representation available for the size of the commerce network.  The only other number which reflects this vigor is the value transferred, again, during a rolling window.

Instead I get a page of n^p x p>x means everything is OK. 

It is what it is.  Whether it is OK or not is very subjective.  You might enjoy a benzodiazepine.  Not too much now.  It will make you feel things are a bit more OK.

Price can do many things, but it can't deviate from fundamental value for too long, or there is arbitrage.

Activity: 133
How can switch Blockchain.info default language away from Turkish to another language? It reverts back every time I click a page.

Go to your browser settings and erase all cookies related to blockchain.info
If it turns around I would start worrying after it passes 550

I have a question to the bears. If the price does in fact go the other way at what level will you start buying back? At what level will you panik buy?

so everything lower 550 would be just a bulltrap for you?
i think that will be the problem for the bears, as soon as the green volume bars start to be larger than the red volume bars, it could be the reversal or only a bull trap.  Cool

I don't expect a V reversal. I am waiting for it to get errie quiet after everyone has capitulated and exhausted their fiat capital.

I expect a long U reversal.

Well we have a U forming.

I am not certain. I just don't see any reason the bottom should be here. Why? What happened to make it a bottom?

Recent sentiment isn't exhausted yet. It is just getting started. Most don't even understand the tax implication issue yet.

Fair enough. About the tax situation at least in Sweden I know the Swedish IRS won't be going after bitcoin purchases. Bitcoin exchange transfers however will be a different ball game but that's not strange. I personally think you are too fearing of taxes and the government agencies collecting them. Even with an economic collapse a la Armstrong (which I'm counting on as well) there will not be a crusade to tax bitcoin purchases on orderly purchases, imo.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002
It will be the volume, not the price that will push the bears into panic buy

yea and it will be the volume too that will squeeze the last bulls out on panic selling when we go for another dip Grin
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
It will be the volume, not the price that will push the bears into panic buy
I never had to do that with dollars."  THAT'S BECAUSE YOU HAD NO GAINS BEFORE.

Read my post above this one, so you can have an epiphany.

The issue is that gains impact tax brackets and credits and all sorts of tax planning.

So you can't just take all the gains you can get.

You have to restrict yourself to scenarios.

This ruins the timing of being able to spend money when ever you want to.

At least this is how impacts some people. Maybe your tax situation is different and you take all the gains you can get, because you are in an investor class. But the common man is not. He has all sorts of things to balance, such as reporting his unemployment assistance, tax credits, solar installation energy credit, alternative minimum tax, etc....

Let's just compare the same person spending dollars vs spending bitcoin.  Their tax situation is exactly the same except for a small amount of CG on the bitcoin they spent.  How is paying CG worse than having no gain at all?

If you expect the CG to be significant, that means they must have held bitcoin as savings or investment, and not spent it before their next paycheck arrived.

Edit:
Now that I see your other post - I'm not a tax expert, but I have yet to see one tax credit that is all or nothing based on some income threshold.  Obviously that creates perverse incentives to avoid going over the threshold.  However, in the US at least, none of them work like that, or if any do, they're so uncommon as to be irrelevant to bitcoin adoption.
If it turns around I would start worrying after it passes 550

so everything lower 550 would be just a bulltrap for you?
i think that will be the problem for the bears, as soon as the green volume bars start to be larger than the red volume bars, it could be the reversal or only a bull trap.  Cool

I don't expect a V reversal. I am waiting for it to get errie quiet after everyone has capitulated and exhausted their fiat capital.

I expect a long U reversal.

Well we have a U forming.

I am not certain. I just don't see any reason the bottom should be here. Why? What happened to make it a bottom?

Recent sentiment isn't exhausted yet. It is just getting started. Most don't even understand the tax implication issue yet.
I find it comical that the opinions here seem so certain and grounded. For a change, I think we can up I also think we can go down.
Jump to: