Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 272. (Read 907212 times)

Activity: 665
Merit: 500
If it turns around I would start worrying after it passes 550

I have a question to the bears. If the price does in fact go the other way at what level will you start buying back? At what level will you panik buy?

so everything lower 550 would be just a bulltrap for you?
i think that will be the problem for the bears, as soon as the green volume bars start to be larger than the red volume bars, it could be the reversal or only a bull trap.  Cool

I don't expect a V reversal. I am waiting for it to get errie quiet after everyone has capitulated and exhausted their fiat capital.

I expect a long U reversal.

Well we have a U forming.
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
Interesting points, but:

The last capitulation could very well happen again.

What I notice about the July 2013 capitulation is some very high volume (relative to the time) around the days prior to and after the final low. In contrast, the volume around the present low has been in contrast, average and the most notable trades have been large scale dumps, with the price rising on much lower volume. I am open to the idea of this being a big fish accumulation period and will gladly jump on board the gravy train when/if Bitcoin rebounds proper off the $400 zone, which I think it will in the first instance as too many people are seeing this as the ultimate bottom. However, for this to be a trend reveral proper, Bitcoin needs to break through the long term down trend that has been in place since the Dec double top. The big fishes will have done their shopping  $400-$450, the gravy train riders will have gotten in $450-$500, the panic buyers $500-$550........and then who is buying? Nobody? Well guess what happens next amongst a back drop of hoardes of stolen coins and arbitrage taking and USD cashing out Chinese? If Bitcoin swings strongly upwards from the $400 zone, but fails to break and confirm itself beyond the long term down trend, I doubt that the market will waste much time in deciding Bitcoin's fate. There will be no doubts and a race to take profits/cut losses. How would support at and above $380 be if such a scenario were to play out, and lets face it, it easily could. Hate to say it but what Bitcoin probably needs to avoid an inevitable slide below $380 is some kind of isolated non USD economic crisis, and a bit of good old capital flight.......which is what I have come to believe Bitcoin was designed for in the first place (I have gone from being a libertarian 'believer' to having the view that Bitcoin is most likely a US intelligence agency project) .
Activity: 518
Merit: 521

I have a question to the bears. If the price does in fact go the other way at what level will you start buying back? At what level will you panik buy?

i think that will be the problem for the bears, as soon as the green volume bars start to be larger than the red volume bars, it could be the reversal or only a bull trap.  Cool

I don't expect a V reversal. I am waiting for it to get errie quiet after everyone has capitulated and exhausted their fiat capital.

I expect a long U reversal.

However working against my scenario is the bottom price rises about $10-15 per week that this drags out.
Activity: 681
Merit: 507

i think that will be the problem for the bears, as soon as the green volume bars start to be larger than the red volume bars, it could be the reversal or only a bull trap.  Cool
I never had to do that with dollars."  THAT'S BECAUSE YOU HAD NO GAINS BEFORE.

Read my post above this one, so you can have an epiphany.

The issue is that gains impact tax brackets and credits and all sorts of tax planning.

So you can't just take all the gains you can get.

You have to restrict yourself to scenarios.

This ruins the timing of being able to spend money when ever you want to.

At least this is how impacts some people. Maybe your tax situation is different and you take all the gains you can get, because you are in an investor class. But the common man is not. He has all sorts of things to balance, such as reporting his unemployment assistance, tax credits, solar installation energy credit, alternative minimum tax, etc....

P.S. We do have gains with dollars when we trade for another investment. Yet we are not charged for those gains until we sell and come back into dollars.
Activity: 236
Merit: 100
A wallet that tracks your fiat cost base is important to develop so that U.S. people can pay taxes, but "discussion" about it among people who don't have the capability to make it (not to say it is difficult because it is a standard requirement for enterprise accounting since 1800s) is moot.
The issue is not just record keeping and calculation, but also planning and timing. The timing on planning interferes with the timing-fungibility of money. This is one of the reasons why investments are not money.

He missed the point. If everyone has to factor the timing of tax planning into the timing of spends, then money sometimes loses the main reason it existed, which was to remove the gridlock caused by barter due to mismatches of the timing of what trading parties wanted to trade. For example, you want to buy that $1000 item, but this would move you into a higher tax bracket for the year, so you must wait until after Dec. 31.

You set up your wallet software such that it automatically spends the last earned coins, which makes it a wash generally (or yields a small gain for which you need to pay taxes and be happy that you get to keep about 60-90% of the purchasing power that would have been 100% lost to inflation in the case you had been using USD instead of Bitcoin). This is similar to using currency.

If you are spending more than you earn, then your wallet spends the coins that were accumulated earlier, in which case you suffer a larger tax hit. This is similar to selling your investments for profit, and paying taxes.

Can someone else explain why this is the end of Bitcoin because I fail to see it?

Like most other bitcoin issues, you've analyzed it correctly and other people are just spewing their knee-jerk reaction:  "Oh no, if I use bitcoin I have to report my gains to the IRS?  I never had to do that with dollars."  THAT'S BECAUSE YOU HAD NO GAINS BEFORE.

IIUC, in the US, you can use whatever method of accounting you want (FIFO, LIFO, etc), as long as you don't count the same bitcoin twice.  However your LIFO suggestion makes the most sense for those wanting to use bitcoin as a currency.

I still don't understand this stuff about bitcoin not being fungible now.  It's still fungible.  Just because you bought them at different prices doesn't mean it matters which are which.  Shares of stock are still fungible despite the reporting of capital gains.
I just read a comment in the Darkcoin thread where a user said he bought in too high and is tempted to sell but is holding on.

These are the ones who capitulate when there is blood on the streets. I bet he sells at $300.

There is no blood yet. They are still hodling on.
A wallet that tracks your fiat cost base is important to develop so that U.S. people can pay taxes, but "discussion" about it among people who don't have the capability to make it (not to say it is difficult because it is a standard requirement for enterprise accounting since 1800s) is moot.
The issue is not just record keeping and calculation, but also planning and timing. The timing on planning interferes with the timing-fungibility of money. This is one of the reasons why investments are not money.

He missed the point. If everyone has to factor the timing of tax planning into the timing of spends, then money sometimes loses the main reason it existed, which was to remove the gridlock caused by barter due to mismatches of the timing of what trading parties wanted to trade. For example, you want to buy that $1000 item, but this would move you into a higher tax bracket for the year, so you must wait until after Dec. 31.

You set up your wallet software such that it automatically spends the last earned coins, which makes it a wash generally (or yields a small gain for which you need to pay taxes and be happy that you get to keep about 60-90% of the purchasing power that would have been 100% lost to inflation in the case you had been using USD instead of Bitcoin). This is similar to using currency.

If you are spending more than you earn, then your wallet spends the coins that were accumulated earlier, in which case you suffer a larger tax hit. This is similar to selling your investments for profit, and paying taxes.

Can someone else explain why this is the end of Bitcoin because I fail to see it?

You still don't get it. It may have nothing to do with minimizing BTC gains.

The issue is that tax law is complex. For example there is a $1000 Tax Credit where if you earn less than a certain amount or more than another higher amount, you don't get the credit. So it happens that you are ready to spend BTC on Dec. 23rd for Xmas gift, but it would push over the bracket and you lose $1000. So you need to decide to not spend until Jan 1 (much too late for Xmas). Thus Bitcoin wasn't money for you.
Activity: 208
Merit: 101

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

Best idea regarding the tax implementation!
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

I remember that one. I remembered telling myself, "if you want to buy this is last chance". I knew it was going higher.

Now I  know it is going lower.

Lol I like your confidence.

I remember that one. I remembered telling myself, "if I want to buy this is my last chance under $100". I knew it was going higher. I didn't buy for numerous reasons (not having capital positioned, had not evaluated tax implications, being preoccupied with illness, not stable in one work place haphazardly landing to plug in computer, etc).

Now I  know it is going lower.
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
Some people argue that price always moves towards the deepest Wall on the order book, I would suggest that it is entirely dependent on the situation in the market at the specific time.

Sure. As we are now at the bottom, the only ones who sell at this price are panickers. If you wanted to sell in an orderly way, there was plenty of time in December-January. This makes me forecast that price has an explosive upside potential, or at least the potential for explosive upside is higher than bloodbath.

All the time since December, until Feb 25th, I was having about that much money in bids in Bitstamp. For 6 weeks, they were about 10% of the visible orderbook between 400-800. All the time, I was wanting for Bitcoin price to go... up?

I would suggest that these buy-in tranches are structured in such a way where the stinging ones that are triggered way above 'the bottom' can and will be sold back into market at break even or profit. They range deep enough, that should they all be triggered, then it would have to be some kind of flash crash where a violent rebound is nearly always guaranteed. Cos it is on Bitstamp, chances are these bids can be taken at face value however....Bitfinex, now that would be another matter entirely.

It is an excellent time to make daytrade gains, if you are on top of it. There is volatility, the general direction of the market is clear (up - no matter what you say), there is volume, and percentagewise the rise from 400 to 600 is a cool 50%, unlike 1000->1200 which is only 20%.

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Lazy, cynical and insolent since 1968
What is to be gained by denying the current issues we are presented with.  (and I'm talking as a 'community' rather than personal or individual gain.)

I repeat: there are no new issues. It is a common scare-tactic to raise some evergreen issues when it is important to fool the newcomers.

Therefore "presented with" reveals you agenda pretty well  Cheesy

I think the various adoption metrics that eg. AnonyMint has brought up are interesting and important.

I think that Bid/Ask ratio is only relevant in the region where you may actually get bitten by a market order (let's say 5,000 coins). Anyone can load coins to 700+ region to supposedly scare people away but only fools and trolls are deceived.

5,000 coins takes the price lower by $36 and higher by $104 as of now. I think it tells the obvious.

Eh?  What agenda?

I'm talking about the fact that the news, satire programs, newspapers, magazines etc ridicule BTC.
I talk to people about BTC and they think I'm a crank.
The IRS statement, China's slow strangulation of BTC, Gox, the FUD surrounding NeoBee...the list is endless....all these things have happened first quarter....it's not reheated propaganda, its what is happening outside Mala Towers.

YOU have set yourself up as the self-appointed leadership of the BTC community with your exclusive forum and your BTC retreat.  But all you have to offer is advising newbs to keep buying.  Can you see how suspicious that looks.  The bid/sum ratio is dreadful, you can't dispute the numbers, yet you claim my quoting it measn I have an agenda.  Isn't this the Quality TA thread?

What I have invested in BTC wouldn't keep you in cigars.  But I have an agenda?

You bring up adoption metrics but I actually raised this issue -- most of the data available through blockchain suggest adoption is going very poorly.  But instead lets focus on a single set of data (increased BTC addresses) ...but I use a new address for withdrawals and deposits everytime I do a BTC tx.  I suspect many do the same, so this data is meaningless.  No-one comments on this.

Instead I get a page of n^p x p>x means everything is OK.  (And I have great respect for Aminorex and AnonyMint btw) But even if this is true (and thus far no-one has independently verified this), perhaps YOU (self-appointed leader etc etc) should try and explain how this does and will work in terms that the rest of us may understand, rather than ask us all to have 'faith'.  Faith has nothing to do with investment.

PS I noted your 'scale' of comments a few pages back and I think its pretty arrogant to assume that anyone who disagrees or questions you has some sort of personal axe to grind -- you seem like a pretty decent bloke, but if you want to be a 'leader' you need to allow people to challenge your views without dismissing them as having either an agenda or a personal vendetta.

Going to bed....I'll catch up tomorrow.
France is already taxing the wealthy at 75% even though everyone acknowledges it is not actually going to bring in much if any revenue (wealthy are leaving France).

It is the way to start the demand to tax externally to close all the places the wealthy can run to. G20 has already agreed to cooperate on this and NSA has signed on to providing them the data. I can provide citations.

And later they will be forced to just outright confiscate.

Btw, on the anonymity front, I blew up Zerocash and Darkcoin today:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5999317
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6001085
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1055
[...] I see confiscation coming in 2016. So that is why I am analyzing [...]
I am so sorry to pollute Risto's thread with unsuitable words, but WTF ?!
What confiscation ? Who's confiscating what ?! Are we in the middle ages or bolshevik Russia _(CCCP)_ now ?
AnonyMint, would you please care to share your thoughts / analysis / sources on this one with us ?

The world economy is going down the drain due to the enormous debt build up. In order to prevent total chaos when the castle starts breaking apart governments will want to confiscate as much wealth as possible. They won't go down without a fight so to say. And their best fighting power is taxation of different sort. How far they go is the question. I don't think they would go to the obscene levels Anonymint speaks of (70%+ taxation) but who knows.

France is already taxing the wealthy at 75% even though everyone acknowledges it is not actually going to bring in much if any revenue (wealthy are leaving France). President Hollande has said the new tax is "symbolic" and designed to make a political statement that everyone should pay their fair share.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/30/news/economy/french-tax-75/

Nothing preventing that logic from marching right down the tax brackets first to the upper middle class and then the middle class.

Did you not read the link I gave you upthread on that?

Here is the link again for you to read my short explanation:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5953000
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
5,000 coins takes the price lower by $36 and higher by $104 as of now. I think it tells the obvious.

Last time I seen a situation like that was post $400 bottom. I bought in at $480, and as Bitcoin approached $550, there was some 5000K of Ask wall standing between spot price and $560, so I cashed in my coins. Literally 2 minutes later, a stream of massive bids pushed Bitcoin up to $570, and we know how things ran after that.

Some people argue that price always moves towards the deepest Wall on the order book, I would suggest that it is entirely dependent on the situation in the market at the specific time. With that said, what large scale buyer of Bitcoin is going to push the price up over $100 with so many fretting bag-holders around desperate for a chance to cut losses? Who wants to make a collective $2.25 million investment only to see the nominal value of this investment nose dive 10% within the next day of trading?

I would suggest that there is a tint of emotion and defensiveness in your posts that isn't normally there. I am not saying this to try and wind you up, I am saying it because I notice it.

All the time since December, until Feb 25th, I was having about that much money in bids in Bitstamp. For 6 weeks, they were about 10% of the visible orderbook between 400-800. All the time, I was wanting for Bitcoin price to go... up?

Yeah, of course I can't really disagree with your logic...I just find it hard to imagine someone being mad enough to throw that quantity of money at Bitcoin when it seems obvious that it is going down much further......but that is of course just my opinion. Perhaps better informed persons know differently.

I would suggest however that these buy-in tranches are structured in such a way where the stinging ones that are triggered way above 'the bottom' can and will be sold back into market at break even or profit. They range deep enough, that should they all be triggered, then it would have to be some kind of flash crash where a violent rebound is nearly always guaranteed. Cos it is on Bitstamp, chances are these bids can be taken at face value however....Bitfinex, now that would be another matter entirely.

Edit: Further on the same topic. There are surely a lot of vested interests already up to the eyeballs in Bitcoin who really really do not want to see Bitcoin fall much below the $380 support. Bitcoin is still a very light market when it comes to players with actual money. Perhaps these buy-ins represent some institution taking a position, or perhaps it really is a measured defense mechanism implemented by an existing Bitcoin billionaire or entrepreneur. As I describe, these tranches can serve to reinforce Bitcoin through a difficult time without the need for the buyer to take any real losses on the trades, unless an unforseeable avalanche occurs. it is certainly the case that with these Buy-ins taken out the picture (some 500 BTC per $10), that the Bid pressure on Stamp would be looking much weaker and much more of a cause for concern for nervous investors/holders. If I was really wanting to accumulate that amount of Bitcoins at those prices, I wouldn't set up a great big range of buy-in tranches that actively discourage the price from ever meeting them.
Jump to: