Pages:
Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 85. (Read 907212 times)

Activity: 722
Merit: 500
It could be Sir Elton....because he is fabulous and so is bitcoin.

That sounds a bit gay,oh wait a sec.................... Kiss
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019
It's Sir Richard. He builds spaceships to take BTC to the moon.
Activity: 588
It could be Sir Elton....because he is fabulous and so is bitcoin.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1010
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
Did anyone stop to think Satoshi is Sir Paul? After all, The Beatles were masters at encrypting satanic messages into popular releases and everyone knows that Bitcoin is the one world money that ends the world. The Walrus is somehow the key to unravel the whole conspiracy.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 10832
Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"
Did any of you stop to think that Satoshi = Sir Richard?

no

there should be no decimals, only whole numbers

When btc is a billion $, (or whatever, I can't count), decimals can be added

So you want us to work from satoshis.  Personally, I believe that you are the exception, and most people are good with two decimal places b/c we are used to it, and we can easily identify two digits behind the decimal without developing a major brain fart.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

no

there should be no decimals, only whole numbers

When btc is a billion $, (or whatever, I can't count), decimals can be added
legendary

"Currencies today operate with two decimal spaces to the right ($1.00). In Bitcoin, there are currently eight so one could theoretically pay you 0.00000001 or one hundred-millionth of a Bitcoin. Not only is this confusing for consumers, it does not fit in existing systems and software for accounting practices."

So the standard would already have a rounding error of at least $1.80 (0.005 bitcoins). As soon as we go up again, that will only increase...

It seems that you are getting the unit wrong.  

The author is NOT talking about going back 3 decimal places, but instead he is talking about going back 6 decimal places.  Currently, if my calculations are correct, 6 decimal places would cause a $364.85 per BTC valuation to have an exchange price of $.00036485 per XBT - or $1 would buy you 274.09 XBTs which is 27,409 satoshis.

yep, this thread already had this discussion starting at page 278 and later
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.9124067

Yes, I had already read through the earlier posts of this thread, but I was attempting to respond to the contents of mmortal03's above post... b/c it seems to me that when he referred to a "rounding error" (as bolded above) he seems to have gotten the calculations wrong and even the concept wrong - b/c moving to a smaller bitcoin unit should lessen, rather than increase, the severity of any rounding error that might exist.
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 4078

"Currencies today operate with two decimal spaces to the right ($1.00). In Bitcoin, there are currently eight so one could theoretically pay you 0.00000001 or one hundred-millionth of a Bitcoin. Not only is this confusing for consumers, it does not fit in existing systems and software for accounting practices."

So the standard would already have a rounding error of at least $1.80 (0.005 bitcoins). As soon as we go up again, that will only increase...

The author is NOT talking about going back 3 decimal places, but instead he is talking about going back 6 decimal places.  Currently, if my calculations are correct, 6 decimal places would cause a $364.85 per BTC valuation to have an exchange price of $.00036485 per XBT - or $1 would buy you 274.09 XBTs which is 27,409 satoshis.

yep, this thread already had this discussion starting at page 278 and later
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.9124067
legendary
legendary

The author is NOT talking about going back 3 decimal places, but instead he is talking about going back 6 decimal places.  Currently, if my calculations are correct, 6 decimal places would cause a $364.85 per BTC valuation to have an exchange price of $.00036485 per XBT - or $1 would buy you 274.09 XBTs which is 27,409 satoshis.
legendary
For the Cryptonote coins, they have 12 decimal place for the coins, is it necessary? Is it better to increase the total number of coins by 10000  times and remove 4 decimal places?  Would that decrease the block size?

One recent block reward of XMR is 13.828558554977, if we remove the last 8 digit, so that it is 13.8285. That will remove the dust and that value is still close to the original one, the difference is only 0.0001/13.

Interesting. I traded a small number of BTC for XMR, but it is underperforming BTC.
XMR owners might need to wait much much longer (I give it 50:50 or even less to succeed, especially looking at BTC troubles).

Sir Richard is about to change bitcoin forever. Price to the moon!

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/press-releases/press-release-october-7-2014-bitcoin-foundation-financial-standards-working-group-leads-the-way-for-mainstream-bitcoin-adoption-2/

That Dick just assumed control of Bitcoin.

FIXED
Activity: 784
Merit: 1001
I'm only a casual observer of these TA discussions. The triangles and their sequences used are supposed to form patterns useful for predicting changes in price. Nobody ever makes predictions about volatility. I don't understand why they use extreme ranges as anchor points for TA lines. They are statistically insignificant. These extreme points are insignificant because they can be easily affected by individuals rather than market trends. Candles use volume distribution. Using volume distribution as weight for determining anchor points would at least make TA seem more like a statistical science. If they are going to use extreme points, they should be treated as a separate predictive factor to reflect reactivity. Instead, they seem to use the extremes of the candles over long periods of time which would heavily weight the most insignificant market activity for the predictive model.

TA is to fundamental analysis as astrology is to astronomy.

It's no accident that this thread is called "the Quality TA thread." The majority of posts in this thread have nothing to do with TA. The fact is that the best TA is ... no TA at all!

Hehehehe ...
legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011

donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1010
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
I'm only a casual observer of these TA discussions. The triangles and their sequences used are supposed to form patterns useful for predicting changes in price. Nobody ever makes predictions about volatility. I don't understand why they use extreme ranges as anchor points for TA lines. They are statistically insignificant. These extreme points are insignificant because they can be easily affected by individuals rather than market trends. Candles use volume distribution. Using volume distribution as weight for determining anchor points would at least make TA seem more like a statistical science. If they are going to use extreme points, they should be treated as a separate predictive factor to reflect reactivity. Instead, they seem to use the extremes of the candles over long periods of time which would heavily weight the most insignificant market activity for the predictive model.

On a different note, are there charts anywhere that analyze news, sentiment, and transaction phenomena?
Activity: 784
Merit: 1001
For the Cryptonote coins, they have 12 decimal place for the coins, is it necessary? Is it better to increase the total number of coins by 10000  times and remove 4 decimal places?  Would that decrease the block size?

One recent block reward of XMR is 13.828558554977, if we remove the last 8 digit, so that it is 13.8285. That will remove the dust and that value is still close to the original one, the difference is only 0.0001/13.

Interesting. I traded a small number of BTC for XMR, but it is underperforming BTC.
XMR owners might need to wait much much longer (I give it 50:50 or even less to succeed, especially looking at BTC troubles).

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/press-releases/press-release-october-7-2014-bitcoin-foundation-financial-standards-working-group-leads-the-way-for-mainstream-bitcoin-adoption-2/

Wait, what does Sir Richard have to do with this press release?

The chairperson of the working group, Beth Moses, works for Virgin Galactic
Activity: 715
For the Cryptonote coins, they have 12 decimal place for the coins, is it necessary? Is it better to increase the total number of coins by 10000  times and remove 4 decimal places?  Would that decrease the block size?

Wait, what does Sir Richard have to do with this press release?
Activity: 644
Merit: 504
Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks
Here is the one-week resolution chart of Bitstamp prices. I drew a resistance trendline down from the November 2013 peak  and a support trendline touching the capitulations. It forms a bullish falling wedge pattern, which this site says is resolved by an upwards breakout 68% of the time.

The KDJ indicator on the bottom of the chart is saying oversold as the purple line has a value less than 20.

what are your thoughts on the J line nearly crossing upward the K & D line on the 1w chart

the crossing looks to be a week away still but if we can maintain this week's momentum I feel that would be an extremely bullish sign considering the history of this indicator
Activity: 588

That Dick!
legendary

legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 4078

Pages:
Jump to: