Pages:
Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 87. (Read 907212 times)

Activity: 715
Merit: 500
Bitcoin is about to undergo a 1:1000000 "stock" split.
essentially, they want a base unit and a second unit being 1:100 of the first.
https://bitcoinfoundation.org/press-releases/press-release-october-7-2014-bitcoin-foundation-financial-standards-working-group-leads-the-way-for-mainstream-bitcoin-adoption-2/
We already have two units: bitcoin and satoshi
Therefore, the only way to make this possible would be to recalculate bitcoin as 100 satoshi (deep inside everything is measured in satoshis anyway).
So, everyone with a current BTC will suddenly discover that he or she will have 1000000 bitcoins (officially called XBT from then on).
I think that this will put new bitcoin/XBT on a path that will eventually lead to XBT=~$1 with each satoshi=~1c.
How long it might take-maybe 20 years. If this happens, current BTC would equal $1,000,000

This is a very reasonable proposal, and will definitely increase adoption since BTC XBT will again look cheap.

Support +1.

Agreed.

Average Joe, one year from now: "I heard they redid this bitcoin thing so now one bitcoin only costs one penny and regular folk like me can afford it. But it's supposed to go to one dollar, like, real fast. I'm gonna get me some today!"

Buy a million XBT today for only $350!  Smiley
Activity: 784
Merit: 1001
https://bitcoinfoundation.org/press-releases/press-release-october-7-2014-bitcoin-foundation-financial-standards-working-group-leads-the-way-for-mainstream-bitcoin-adoption-2/
Therefore, the only way to make this possible would be to recalculate bitcoin as 100 satoshi (deep inside everything is measured in satoshis anyway).
So, everyone with a current BTC will suddenly discover that he or she will have 1000000 bitcoins (officially called XBT from then on).
I think that this will put new bitcoin/XBT on a path that will eventually lead to XBT=~$1 with each satoshi=~1c.
How long it might take-maybe 20 years. If this happens, current BTC would equal $1,000,000

This is a very reasonable proposal, and will definitely increase adoption since BTC XBT will again look cheap.

Support +1.

Agreed.

Average Joe, one year from now: "I heard they redid this bitcoin thing so now one bitcoin only costs one penny and regular folk like me can afford it. But it's supposed to go to one dollar, like, real fast. I'm gonna get me some today!"

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

Support +1.

For global adoption (more average Joes discovering/trying bitcoin) this is very important. I'm also thinking its a good thing and we should support it.

Even though "look cheap" isn't really an objective factor as price is just a ratio between 2 currencies. I'm pretty sure every bitcointalk user already tried to explain what is this strange "virtual bitsomething money" and then got an answer like this one : "wowww, so you're telling me you have to give hard-earned 500$ to get only 1 bitcoin ? That's very expensive, I not that rich to try this".
You can explain whatever you want about how it got plenty of decimals etc. but when people remember how expensive is this intangible thing they feel out of the game.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Support +1.

Wow.  Crazy.  Everyone who values BTC (soon to be XBT) as a store of value should be totally excited about this! Who will essentially decide to do approve of this change?  Does the Bitcoin Foundation have total authority to make this happen? 
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

Support +1.
Activity: 235
Merit: 100
I was promised da moon
Here is the one-week resolution chart of Bitstamp prices. I drew a resistance trendline down from the November 2013 peak  and a support trendline touching the capitulations. It forms a bullish falling wedge pattern, which this site says is resolved by an upwards breakout 68% of the time.

The KDJ indicator on the bottom of the chart is saying oversold as the purple line has a value less than 20.

I have noticed a price direction correlation between bitcoin, and gold and oil. The latter two have been in a slump this summer. Gold is falling because equity market investments are more profitable given stimulative monetary policy, and oil is slumping because there is new supply in the market due to hydraulic fracturing technology, i.e. tight oil. I suppose that fundamentally gold and oil should continue to slump and if indeed bitcoin is linked to these, then perhaps bitcoin will continue to slump too. On the other hand, bitcoin transaction volume for bitcoin is continuing towards a new all-time high, which should be bullish for bitcoin - apart from any connection to gold and oil.

I made a similar chart just a few days ago. It would indicate a small rallye to 400+, then grinding down again to ~200 till summer 2015. Still I can't really believe in it. Let's see if we can break through the resistance line Smiley
Activity: 686
Merit: 501
Stephen Reed
Here is the one-week resolution chart of Bitstamp prices. I drew a resistance trendline down from the November 2013 peak  and a support trendline touching the capitulations. It forms a bullish falling wedge pattern, which this site says is resolved by an upwards breakout 68% of the time.

The KDJ indicator on the bottom of the chart is saying oversold as the purple line has a value less than 20.

I have noticed a price direction correlation between bitcoin, and gold and oil. The latter two have been in a slump this summer. Gold is falling because equity market investments are more profitable given stimulative monetary policy, and oil is slumping because there is new supply in the market due to hydraulic fracturing technology, i.e. tight oil. I suppose that fundamentally gold and oil should continue to slump and if indeed bitcoin is linked to these, then perhaps bitcoin will continue to slump too. On the other hand, bitcoin transaction volume for bitcoin is continuing towards a new all-time high, which should be bullish for bitcoin - apart from any connection to gold and oil.

legendary
Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027
Now that we have bounced off 300 would love to see some updated TA...
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

Coinbase has been using "bits": 1 BTC = 1,000,000 bits, 1 bit = 100 satoshi

So now the proposal wants to use:  1 BTC = 1,000,000 bitcoins , 1 bitcoin = 100 satoshi  ?

I know, this is confusing, however since they will call a base unit XBT, there is no way they can call XBT "bit" because "bitcoin" is instantly recognizable, but "bit" is not.
I think that they are aiming to have just two units: bitcoin (XBT) and satoshi. If they will try to replace bitcoin with a term "bit" for XBT, there will be a huge resistance. However, if they simply recalculate bitcoin (XBT) as 100 satoshi instead of 100000000 satoshi, then they have a chance for the transition to go smoother.

Sounds like a reasonable proposition that could remove some barriers/confusion for the average Joe.  Change is never easy, but it is occasionally worthwhile.  And hey, Cheap Coins  Grin

Cheap coin indeed. Looking at a big balance of xbt would be interesting. Holders might be subject to The Wealth Effect - feel richer and maybe spend more xbt.

Guys, you are wrong.
They propose to have an iso currency code for bitcoin (e.g. XBT), a standardized bitcoin symbol ( e.g. BTC) and a subunit consisting of 100 satoshi's.
1 bitcoin will remain 100.000.000 satoshi's, no stock split or whatever...

I don't think so (at least at a first glance). They said:
In addition, the working group will recommend Bitcoin subunits. In a currency, there is usually a main unit (base), and a subunit that is a fraction of the main unit. Currencies today operate with two decimal spaces to the right ($1.00). In Bitcoin, there are currently eight so one could theoretically pay you 0.00000001 or one hundred-millionth of a Bitcoin. Not only is this confusing for consumers, it does not fit in existing systems and software for accounting practices.

Since bitcoin (XBT) will be clearly a base (main unit), then the only way is to make satoshi a subunit at 1:100 of bitcoin (XBT).
There is room in currency standard for a historical unit, which is what BTC will probably become. It will be just called BTC (not bitcoin) at 100,000,000 satoshi.

If this is done I would far prefer the base unit to be 100 Satoshi (think of a name) and the subunit to be a Satoshi. The purchasing power of Bitcoin is already too high for your proposal and this trend will continue.
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 4078

So now the proposal wants to use:  1 BTC = 1,000,000 bitcoins , 1 bitcoin = 100 satoshi  ?

I know, this is confusing, however since they will call a base unit XBT, there is no way they can call XBT "bit" because "bitcoin" is instantly recognizable, but "bit" is not.
I think that they are aiming to have just two units: bitcoin (XBT) and satoshi. If they will try to replace bitcoin with a term "bit" for XBT, there will be a huge resistance. However, if they simply recalculate bitcoin (XBT) as 100 satoshi instead of 100000000 satoshi, then they have a chance for the transition to go smoother.

Sounds like a reasonable proposition that could remove some barriers/confusion for the average Joe.  Change is never easy, but it is occasionally worthwhile.  And hey, Cheap Coins  Grin

Cheap coin indeed. Looking at a big balance of xbt would be interesting. Holders might be subject to The Wealth Effect - feel richer and maybe spend more xbt.

Guys, you are wrong.
They propose to have an iso currency code for bitcoin (e.g. XBT), a standardized bitcoin symbol ( e.g. BTC) and a subunit consisting of 100 satoshi's.
1 bitcoin will remain 100.000.000 satoshi's, no stock split or whatever...

I don't think so (at least at a first glance). They said:
In addition, the working group will recommend Bitcoin subunits. In a currency, there is usually a main unit (base), and a subunit that is a fraction of the main unit. Currencies today operate with two decimal spaces to the right ($1.00). In Bitcoin, there are currently eight so one could theoretically pay you 0.00000001 or one hundred-millionth of a Bitcoin. Not only is this confusing for consumers, it does not fit in existing systems and software for accounting practices.

Since bitcoin (XBT) will be clearly a base (main unit), then the only way is to make satoshi a subunit at 1:100 of bitcoin (XBT).
There is room in currency standard for a historical unit, which is what BTC will probably become. It will be just called BTC (not bitcoin) at 100,000,000 satoshi.
Activity: 379
Merit: 250

legendary
Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

Sounds like a reasonable proposition that could remove some barriers/confusion for the average Joe.  Change is never easy, but it is occasionally worthwhile.  And hey, Cheap Coins  Grin
legendary

Activity: 379

So now the proposal wants to use:  1 BTC = 1,000,000 bitcoins/XBT , 1 bitcoin/XBT = 100 satoshi  ?
legendary
Activity: 588
Oh shit, I misinterpreted that as a decimal...it is almost impossibly hopeless to think they only have reserves to cover less than 1% of deposits.
Activity: 470
FDIC only insures you against the bank walking away with your money in a bankruptcy.

There is no insurance for QE or runaway inflation making your money worthless.

Also, as the above info suggests...in the event of a pandemic banking collapse (see Cyprus) it looks like depositors would only have coverage for about 79% of their deposits anyway since the FDIC is underfunded.
Small note, that chart is stating the deposit insurance fund covers 0.79% of insured deposits (not 79%).
Activity: 378
Merit: 254
Activity: 722

The ignore button?!  Please no!!1!

Before I too put you back on ignore, here's some of mmitechs double digits..

edit. job done.
Activity: 378
Merit: 254
I actually didn't "compare the US to Cyprus", I presented an example of a scenario where the FDIC wouldn't be able to cover their obligations. I never stated whether or not that scenario was possible in the US but perhaps you are forgetting your US history lessons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_U.S._bank_failures

Perhaps ask yourself why the FDIC was founded in the first place....oh yes, a pandemic banking collapse occurred.

"The FDIC was created in 1933 in response to the thousands of bank failures that occurred in the 1920s and early 1930s."

I always thought it was created because banks never failed, and it was just another example of wasteful gubermint bureaucracy.  But you say it ain't so, huh?  Well I'll be!

Do you think that govt or the banking industry learned anything from these historical banking collapses?
Do you think they learned anything from 2008-2010 collapses?

Of course.  Not everyone is uneducable.  Stop projecting.

Do you think that's air you are breathing?

Heavens no!  Our Beneficent Reptilian Overlords (long may they reign!) replaced it with Litimbium in 2011.  Around the same time we outlawed gravity.

To be this stubborn and argumentative there are only two plausible scenarios...firstly, you are simply an asshole and for that you should go on ignore, or secondly you are possibly a paid disrupter like JTRIG but I think that is giving you too much credit seeing your lack of subversive tactics and psychological effectiveness here.

So, you get the only remedy I have to make sure your stupidity doesn't leak into my world...the ignore button.

The ignore button?!  Please no!!1!

Pages:
Jump to: