Pages:
Author

Topic: SCAMMER: Cablepair (Tom) from BTCFPGA.com/bitcoinasic.net - page 10. (Read 24133 times)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522
man how come this shit only comes out after bASIC folds?

You think it would have made any difference if it came out earlier?

One of the top BFL guys is CONVICTED of scamming yet people happily send them funds.  If it came out he'd just say it was a mistake in his past / he'd been misunderstood / his email was hacked and everyone would just send him money as before.

Very much this.

That's exactly the reason why no-one should ever invest more than he can afford to lose. The dirt almost always comes to light only after the money has disappeared.

The reason is basically here. Before the scammer actually runs with the BTC, his shills are active and the bystanders are "giving the benefit of the doubt". When I pointed out that pirate was a scammer back in April 2012 people threw a fit about how "I'm unprofessionals", and pirate shills a la gigavps were trying to convince MP to fire me because of it. Meanwhile I was proven right but the same shills are still here repeating that "I'm unprofessional". Why? Because I've professionally blown their cover off with some regularity on numerous occasions, and their profession is lying so that's what they do. They're greatly helped by the fact that most people involved are both new and naive, so they're more likely to believe a lie they see from five sockpuppets than to use their heads and discover where the truth lies.
Activity: 349
Merit: 250
Wait till you learn how Pastor Tom fucked his flock.

http://www.onlinepot.org/mailing_scams/hallofshame.htm

Nice find Phin!  Up until this point, I was giving Tom the benefit of the doubt.  It was very plausible that bASIC was just a failed business, and I accepted the risk that the project might fail when I preordered.  Really, the only part that bothered me was that CC customers were given preferential treatment. If Tom had been extremely transparent about the project's finances, announced the project failed, and then paid back a good chunk of the preorder money, I wouldn't even be too mad.  With the rising BTC price, it might have been possible to return a good chunk of money to customers even if a large amount of USD had been spent developing ASICs.

However, if Tom really does have a history of scamming... I can't sympathize with him.

Tom owes me ~$8600 (8x 72Gh/s, paid in BTC). I will contact a lawyer this week.

Can you let us know what the outcome is?
Activity: 470

That's exactly the reason why no-one should ever invest more than he can afford to lose. The dirt almost always comes to light only after the money has disappeared.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
Pastor Tom: Walk Like an eChristian!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ROGq9yFFzA

Pastor Tom: Black Friday Bad! mkay?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drbPAcBAphU

Great title for a book: From the Pulpit to the Penitentiary.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500

You think it would have made any difference if it came out earlier?

One of the top BFL guys is CONVICTED of scamming yet people happily send them funds.  If it came out he'd just say it was a mistake in his past / he'd been misunderstood / his email was hacked and everyone would just send him money as before.
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

Nice find Phin!  Up until this point, I was giving Tom the benefit of the doubt.  It was very plausible that bASIC was just a failed business, and I accepted the risk that the project might fail when I preordered.  Really, the only part that bothered me was that CC customers were given preferential treatment. If Tom had been extremely transparent about the project's finances, announced the project failed, and then paid back a good chunk of the preorder money, I wouldn't even be too mad.  With the rising BTC price, it might have been possible to return a good chunk of money to customers even if a large amount of USD had been spent developing ASICs.

However, if Tom really does have a history of scamming... I can't sympathize with him.

Tom owes me ~$8600 (8x 72Gh/s, paid in BTC). I will contact a lawyer this week.
Activity: 588
firstbits.com/1kznfw

He may have started with the best intentions, but he ended with the worst of actions. I actually recommended a disabled guy with a limited government social income to use some of his last savings to buy 3 units from this guy.

Scammer tag?
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Great.... so maybe the CC company has MORE on this guy than they let be known......
But WTF would they issue a Credit card terminal in a situation like this?
Activity: 297
legendary

Scammer & Blackmailer 

& He is Back Scamming Again 12-01-06

Thomas Van Riper..
address: 6811 Creek Road # 1,
Chittenango, NY 13037

or  this  address

Tom Van Riper
105 S. Berkey Drive
Chittenango NY 13037

unclejohnsband 
unclejohnsband 

He went by the name "lohnlennon" on an auction site,
Recently but he got banned from there.

Also Has a Young Nephew That's Around On The Boards
& Is Just About As Bad As His Uncle Is

email names: [email protected]

and [email protected].

He offers to trade you high grade Canadian buds for pain killers, 
you send him the pain killers & he never sends you the buds, &
then he try's to blackmail you that if you do NOT send him more
pain killers he will turn you in for mailing narcotic pain meds with
out a prescription! 

Major Slime!
Activity: 238
I got a email and call from the bank as well, they couldn't tell me exactly where the card numbers were compromised from or what even happened for that matter, but i thought there might have been a connection. I have also been issued a new debit card (the one I used to pay for my bASIC). They said that they will update me with that info once the investigation has been finished. If there is a connection I will update.

Cant do much about the bitcoin orders but the one consolation is that banks have LOTS of lawyers to go after scammers who pull pre order scams such as this using traditional banking systems. inb4 Tom's ass is mining cocks in prison.
Activity: 440
Tom = scammer! Waiting STILL for scammer tag or at least to be recognized as a scammer!

The official site is DOWN and taken!
legendary

So, his user name was immune prior to changing it to Cablepair. That explains why he's used it elsewhere on the net.

Quote from: immune on June 22, 2011, 06:45:26 PM
security problems are going to be the end of bitcoin users who can't protect our own investments. And I'm not even talking about files that are broadcast across the world via web, I'm talking about my own personal computer. How fucking stupid are some of us?!

Bold, just about sums it up.

From the last post of the same thread:

further more not only have I made right on that situation but I have also conducted thousands of dollars in positive transactions on this forum since then, there is not a single person on this forum or any where else that can call me a scammer.

That being the case, guess it's time to close this thread.
Activity: 183
I think this is my first scammer accusation. I don't believe he did this on purpose but the fact of the matter is he not only stole my money; he absolutely fucked my chances of being an early ASIC adopter.
Activity: 742
I want to wait a couple more weeks and see if any progress is made.

There's no hurry in this case. He can't even access his account, so a scammer tag isn't going to help anyone (other than making some people feel better).

Hmm.. real shocker here.. he's obviously screwing over a lot of folks, but let's go ahead and slow roll this one some more.. 

True, that tagging him as a scammer for forum users to see is sort of moot at this point, but why he still gets any benefit of the doubt is still amazing, regardless of what he has done in the past.

I still don't buy the compromised/hacked account crap either... perhaps it should be "account is suspended due to being an incompetent drunk".

Bottoms up!
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
His account was compromised a few weeks ago, so I locked it. He needs to send me a PGP signature or some other strong identity verification if he wants the password reset. I've exchanged emails with someone claiming to be him, but he hasn't sent me a PGP signature yet.
Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

There's no hurry in this case. He can't even access his account, so a scammer tag isn't going to help anyone (other than making some people feel better).

Can you explain the "He can't even access his account"?
Has his account been locked?
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032

Pages:
Jump to: