Author

Topic: Scientific proof that God exists? - page 347. (Read 845572 times)

legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
February 25, 2015, 11:58:08 AM
All atheists are presumably humanists Since what else could they be?

Humanists do not agree with with rebirth even though the evidence is strong; one may search this thread for 'Eisenbeiss'.

first case....... chessplaying ghosts
Yes. Correspondence with the dead proven by Prof. Eisenbeiss.

Who from the non-god position will correlate the simplest explanation with the observations?
Two guys played a chess game? That is all the article outlines. One of the guys claims it was not him playing chess, but a dead person. There is nothing beyond that to examine. Not only is that not proof it is not evidence either. It is a claim.

A claim backed up with impressive statistics and Salient Points that (apparently) will not be explained by the skeptics in this thread.

Hey RodeoX I think you missed this post.

The evidence for rebirth does not exist. What exists is the fact that there are similarities between people in life, evidence of genetic memory, and evidence that people can make stories.

Smiley
legendary
February 25, 2015, 11:53:45 AM
Hundreds of years from now there will be explanations, as we have explanations now for what was deemed miraculous in the past.
For sure, but the religious folk will just simply move the goal posts.

Religious folks themselves have 4 main and diverse interpretations of God as per the Baylor Study

1 authoritarian

2 bevenolent

3 Critical or

4 Distant  

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/graphics/religious_bel/flash.htm

click  "four Gods"  then "turn all religions on"  bottom left and you will see that in the USA belief in each of the 4 interpretations is split almost equally if averaged out. ie.  one persons God may not be the same as anothers.

each to their own if it gives them benefit...

Ultimately belief in God or even which type of God is a matter of FAITH

I have no faith , nor need for a God since a very young age after travelling extensively but I do not need to attack or erode others beliefs provided they are not using that to improperly promote or gain advantage by their belief over those that do not believe. The belief itself does not make them better humans but may have contributed to their overall sense of good values and behavior. Coversely in many cases it can be argued ( and I have seen this ) that it actually makes them worse, intolerant of others beliefs , arrogant and superior outlooks and a host of other unsavoury characteristics.

At a stretch I could be persuaded to consider the possibility of a distant God like a being or group of entities that may or may not still exist but even if I did what relevance to my short life based on the DISTANT definition would that make provided I have already gained a very reasonable set of values and behaviour for the environment and cirumstances that I live in? .. effectively none.

So
- There will be no unquestionable solid scientific proof of the existance or continued  existance of a single God

- Belief is purely a matter of faith

- non belief is no better or worse for humanity provided a set of moral, fair, compassionate and reasonable values are taught and practised by both sides.

- using any belief system to promote conflict, war, agression, inequality is wrong and unacceptable in these times.

If I had to pidgeon hole my beliefs it would probably be close to secular humanism although I am not a follower of any group( but mention it so others may consider it) nor have any need for the safety net that belonging to a group, religous or otherwise, ... social, spiritual and financial that comes with that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_humanism

and if God is essential to you there is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_humanism

and the history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism

Be happy!!!!!

Actually, no two people have quite the exact same belief. This means that there are as many diverse religions as there are people. The only difference is the true Christian faith. All Christians who believe in Jesus salvation, have the Holy Spirit in their hearts. Since there is one Holy Spirit, He maintains them all in the same religion, even though they do not understand how He does it, or know that He is doing it, or have outer differing thoughts about aspects of their religion.

Nobody is without religion. Why not? Because nobody knows for a fact what will happen even one instant into the future. Everyone bases his life on hope, hope that the next instant will be at least as good as the last. This is a religion of fate in those who don't have any formal religion. A religion of fate is definitely a religion of faith. The faith is in the experiences of the past, that the future will be at least as good as the past, because nobody knows anything about any of his future. This religion of fate may be automatic in a person who doesn't accept any formal religion.

In everything that people do, they operate by faith, because nobody knows what the future is going to bring, even a nano second into the future.

Smiley
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
February 25, 2015, 11:36:30 AM

- non belief is no better or worse for humanity provided a set of moral, fair, compassionate and reasonable values are taught and practised by both sides.

- using any belief system to promote conflict, war, agression, inequality is wrong and unacceptable in these times.

If I had to pidgeon hole my beliefs it would probably be close to secular humanism although I am not a follower of any group( but mention it so others may consider it) nor have any need for the safety net that belonging to a group, religous or otherwise, ... social, spiritual and financial that comes with that

and the history

Be happy!!!!!

See my post above. Are you aware of the evidence for rebirth?
Activity: 546
February 25, 2015, 10:59:04 AM
All atheists are presumably humanists Since what else could they be?

Humanists do not agree with with rebirth even though the evidence is strong; one may search this thread for 'Eisenbeiss'.

first case....... chessplaying ghosts
Yes. Correspondence with the dead proven by Prof. Eisenbeiss.

Who from the non-god position will correlate the simplest explanation with the observations?
Two guys played a chess game? That is all the article outlines. One of the guys claims it was not him playing chess, but a dead person. There is nothing beyond that to examine. Not only is that not proof it is not evidence either. It is a claim.

A claim backed up with impressive statistics and Salient Points that (apparently) will not be explained by the skeptics in this thread.

Hey RodeoX I think you missed this post.
Activity: 405
Merit: 250
February 25, 2015, 07:34:39 AM
Hundreds of years from now there will be explanations, as we have explanations now for what was deemed miraculous in the past.

Religious folks themselves have 4 main and diverse interpretations of God as per the Baylor Study

1 authoritarian

2 bevenolent

3 Critical or

4 Distant  

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/graphics/religious_bel/flash.htm

click  "four Gods"  then "turn all religions on"  bottom left and you will see that in the USA belief in each of the 4 interpretations is split almost equally if averaged out. ie.  one persons God may not be the same as anothers.

each to their own if it gives them benefit...

I have no faith , nor need for a God since a very young age after travelling extensively but I do not need to attack or erode others beliefs provided they are not using that to improperly promote or gain advantage by their belief over those that do not believe. The belief itself does not make them better humans but may have contributed to their overall sense of good values and behavior. Coversely in many cases it can be argued ( and I have seen this ) that it actually makes them worse, intolerant of others beliefs , arrogant and superior outlooks and a host of other unsavoury characteristics.

At a stretch I could be persuaded to consider the possibility of a distant God like a being or group of entities that may or may not still exist but even if I did what relevance to my short life based on the DISTANT definition would that make provided I have already gained a very reasonable set of values and behaviour for the environment and cirumstances that I live in? .. effectively none.

So
- There will be no unquestionable solid scientific proof of the existance or continued  existance of a single God

and the history

Be happy!!!!!
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1016
February 25, 2015, 04:47:24 AM
Activity: 770
February 25, 2015, 04:12:59 AM
Just watched Morgan Freeman's latest wormhole, our ocean is alive. One huge life form connected by microbes and a nerve system. There you have it, the God who raised us.

Electromagnetic life forms predates hydrocarbon based life forms billions of years, they exist in the stars, metal cores of planets, galaxies and the vast span of the intergalactic space. They are many orders of magnitude more advanced than us. They are God.

No such thing as electromagnetic life just so you know. It's the affects of electromagnetic radiation on life. Just because something is complex, doesn't mean some god created it. In fact, it's most likely the opposite(that no god created it). Thousands of years ago human beings couldn't dream of exploring space through high powered telescopes, the very sky itself was a thing of immense mystery. Now we know more about, and know it has nothing to do with god or "the heavens". The same will be said for everything else today that we find mysterious. Hundreds of years from now there will be explanations, as we have explanations now for what was deemed miraculous in the past.

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
February 25, 2015, 01:22:25 AM
Can someone direct me to the peer reviewed scientific paper that proves there is a God?

Science is too limited in scope to comment upon the matter.

There are published proof(s) for God, although not peer-reviewed.  Although, you could say that it(they) have been informally peer-reviewed.  Christopher Langan's paper at www.ctmu.org is one (third bullet point; click on "here").  I've found it infallible so far, to the extent which I understand it and have analyzed it.

Edit: I should also mention that I'm familiar with many critiques of his theory.  I have not found any that are credible.

Edit 2:  Direct link to the theory is here: http://www.megafoundation.org/CTMU/Articles/Langan_CTMU_092902.pdf

The word your looking for is falsifiable. You can't peer review a proof of god. The hypothesis can not be proven false. Methodology can't be duplicated. A proof of god is not a mathematical proof with universally defined axioms. Religious zealots cant even agree amongst their own sects on what god is.

"Falsifiable" isn't the word I was looking for; I indeed meant "infallible."  It seems you're under the assumption that falsifiability only applies to empiricism.  It doesn't.  There are other kinds of falsifiability.  For example, you can falsify a proposition by showing its inverse to be true.  With specific regard to the reference I provided which proposes a model that implies intelligent design, you would be able to falsify the model by citing an example of something that should be explained by the model but isn't.  And if the model is correct, it falsifies your assertion that God does not exist (again because it is the inverse).

And if you're suggesting that logic is incapable of making comment about reality or (specifically) intelligent design without physical evidence and an empirical approach, that's self-apparently nuts.  Notice, for example, that the scientific method cannot even falsify its own assumptions because it cannot subject them to empirical falsification.  One of these assumptions is that we live in a Positivistic Universe.  Empirical falsification of this assumption would require evidence acquired through observation in a Universe that is totally absent of any observers.  General logic, however, can prove that a Positivistic Universe cannot exist right off the bat as result of the sameness-in-difference principle of logic which essentially states that all things reduce to a common medium.  Unlike classical scientists, quantum theorists make no such assumption of a Positivistic Universe.  Ever wonder why academia hasn't yet figured out a way to reconcile the disparities between classical and quantum physics?  Well, that's a huge reason why.

legendary
Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000
Live and enjoy experiments
February 25, 2015, 01:00:18 AM
Just watched Morgan Freeman's latest wormhole, our ocean is alive. One huge life form connected by microbes and a nerve system. There you have it, the God who raised us.

Electromagnetic life forms predates hydrocarbon based life forms billions of years, they exist in the stars, metal cores of planets, galaxies and the vast span of the intergalactic space. They are many orders of magnitude more advanced than us. They are God.

Activity: 308
February 24, 2015, 11:53:35 PM
Can someone direct me to the peer reviewed scientific paper that proves there is a God?

There are published proof(s) for God, although not peer-reviewed.  Although, you could say that it(they) have been informally peer-reviewed.  Christopher Langan's paper at www.ctmu.org is one (third bullet point; click on "here").  I've found it infallible so far, to the extent which I understand it and have analyzed it.

Edit: I should also mention that I'm familiar with many critiques of his theory.  I have not found any that are credible.

Edit 2:  Direct link to the theory is here: http://www.megafoundation.org/CTMU/Articles/Langan_CTMU_092902.pdf

The word your looking for is falsifiable. You can't peer review a proof of god. The hypothesis can not be proven false. Methodology can't be duplicated. A proof of god is not a mathematical proof with universally defined axioms. Religious zealots cant even agree amongst their own sects on what god is.

Perhaps no two people can agree on what God is, what He looks like, where He lives, and a host of other things one might think about God. Yet, because the dictionary definitions of God are very generalized, people can easily agree that He exists, even when they don't agree on much of anything about Him.

To me, the evidence for God in the universe is overwhelming. For example, we can make mechanical arms. But we can't make a real arm out of flesh and blood. We might be able to help and direct nature into growing one. But we can't make one. We wouldn't know how to start, because the technology that exists in an arm is way beyond us.

Smiley

All of that and more(creating a human arm), will be possible within the next 200 years. We've come a long way with stem cell research, cloning, and the like. Next step would probably be fast forwarding evolution(Starting with proteins, then forming single cell bacteria, then forming small animals from that, etc etc).

It's aleady happened. Synthetic life form.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2010/may/20/craig-venter-synthetic-life-form

We are god now. Please send your tithings this way. I'll send you a tax receipt.
legendary
February 24, 2015, 11:10:15 PM

Perhaps no two people can agree on what God is, what He looks like, where He lives, and a host of other things one might think about God. Yet, because the dictionary definitions of God are very generalized, people can easily agree that He exists, even when they don't agree on much of anything about Him.

To me, the evidence for God in the universe is overwhelming. For example, we can make mechanical arms. But we can't make a real arm out of flesh and blood. We might be able to help and direct nature into growing one. But we can't make one. We wouldn't know how to start, because the technology that exists in an arm is way beyond us.

Smiley

All of that and more(creating a human arm), will be possible within the next 200 years. We've come a long way with stem cell research, cloning, and the like. Next step would probably be fast forwarding evolution(Starting with proteins, then forming single cell bacteria, then forming small animals from that, etc etc).

Except that we don't know the future. The money system is near collapse. The world is near war. People are unprepared. More than likely, creating animals and human arms will be one of the last things that people will want to do. They will be too busy trying to survive the hard times that are coming.

Smiley
Activity: 504
eidoo wallet
February 24, 2015, 10:14:58 PM

Smiley

legendary
February 24, 2015, 07:49:09 PM

Smiley
Activity: 308
February 24, 2015, 05:40:30 PM

legendary
February 24, 2015, 04:36:59 PM

Reading your words gives me faith that people like you, delusional, misinformed, and extremely gullible, cannot be changed.

" Actually, women were being given a gift. They were being settled in a home with a husband to do the exact thing that they were made for... having and raising children. " - BADecker

I'm done here, it seems you do not respect women and place them as being worth only for childbearing and motherhood. If you can't even respect women, then you obviously don't have the capability to respect anyone with a sexuality besides your own.

You BADecker, are the classical case of an ignorant and intolerant human being. Have fun believing in one of the cruelest books ever written and good luck in obtaining your everlasting life through intolerance of others. It's people like you that passively contribute to the epidemic of violence against women and gays around the world. I'm sure your mother, sister, daughter, or any female you encounter would be proud. /sarcasm

Well, when you finally grow up and learn something, come on back.

Smiley
legendary
February 24, 2015, 04:33:08 PM

But this thread is interesting anyway, even though it keeps going off-topic.

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
February 24, 2015, 04:30:22 PM

Edit 2:  Direct link to the theory is here: http://www.megafoundation.org/CTMU/Articles/Langan_CTMU_092902.pdf
Activity: 770
February 24, 2015, 04:26:44 PM
Get some of the New Testament into yourself, so the Holy Spirit has something to work with in you, even if you understand very little of what you are reading.

So in other words your encouraging me to give up my life of peace and embraced a life of intolerance?
For example I have a couple of friends that are gay, *shrug* don't bother me, none of my business. (And no I'm not, I have a wife and kids if your wondering.)

Would I then have to dislike them?

The thing that confounds me the most, is that the old testament is clearly against any type of homosexual activity, yet in thet very same testament there are laws that show it is against women's rights, forgiveness, love, compassion, etc, all of which highly contradict what is spoken by Christ in the New Testament. So it makes absolutely no sense for people to "hate on gays", cause if they do, they should also hate on women, forgiveness, etc.

"Hating on gays" is not the way it is supposed to be done. However, even the New Testament is against gays. It's in one of the Corinthian books.

Will gays not be saved? God will judge, but it looks like His judgement will be against them.

The fact that the Old Testament seems to be against women is misleading. Actually, women were being given a gift. They were being settled in a home with a husband to do the exact thing that they were made for... having and raising children. When a woman married, she wasn't responsible for her actions except in the case of adultery. Her husband was responsible for her actions in the community, and she could make him downright miserable if she wanted to.

The O.T. laws were written for the people of Israel because they asked for it at Mount Sinai at the time Moses gave them the Ten Commandments. The other nations weren't being given these law. Only Israel. But the laws are absolutely the best. And they were made to match the customs that Israel had in those times. Most of our present-day nations would be given the laws in different ways than ancient Israel was, just because of our traditions and common law.

This also most likely means one thing: Christ was never god, he simply witnessed the suppression around him(Rome controlled Israel at that time), and choose to make a stand. The only way he thought he could effectively make a stand however, was to agree upon the old testaments teachings(as that's what the jews believed in), and extend further from there. Wasn't perfect, but look at how big Christianity is today.

You can do Internet searches and find sites with all kinds of Bible verses that show that Jesus is God.

That would explain why the teachings of christ differ extremely, extremely far from the teachings, laws, and words of the god in the old testament. Christ himself said he is god the son, and one with god the father, so if a christian is to listen to christ, then he/she must also listen to the atrocious laws that god has made in the old testament.

The O.T. teachings were supposed to revolve around two basic laws: Love for God above everything, and love for ones fellow person a much as for himself. The O.T. laws would produce the best living conditions if they were done out of love. The government of Jesus' day had changed the laws to be legalistic things, things without the love. Jesus was simply bringing them back to the love. He abolished nothing.

Smiley

Reading your words gives me faith that people like you, delusional, misinformed, and extremely gullible, cannot be changed.

" Actually, women were being given a gift. They were being settled in a home with a husband to do the exact thing that they were made for... having and raising children. " - BADecker

I'm done here, it seems you do not respect women and place them as being worth only for childbearing and motherhood. If you can't even respect women, then you obviously don't have the capability to respect anyone with a sexuality besides your own.

You BADecker, are the classical case of an ignorant and intolerant human being. Have fun believing in one of the cruelest books ever written and good luck in obtaining your everlasting life through intolerance of others. It's people like you that passively contribute to the epidemic of violence against women and gays around the world. I'm sure your mother, sister, daughter, or any female you encounter would be proud. /sarcasm
legendary
February 24, 2015, 04:19:36 PM
Get some of the New Testament into yourself, so the Holy Spirit has something to work with in you, even if you understand very little of what you are reading.

So in other words your encouraging me to give up my life of peace and embraced a life of intolerance?
For example I have a couple of friends that are gay, *shrug* don't bother me, none of my business. (And no I'm not, I have a wife and kids if your wondering.)

Would I then have to dislike them?

The thing that confounds me the most, is that the old testament is clearly against any type of homosexual activity, yet in thet very same testament there are laws that show it is against women's rights, forgiveness, love, compassion, etc, all of which highly contradict what is spoken by Christ in the New Testament. So it makes absolutely no sense for people to "hate on gays", cause if they do, they should also hate on women, forgiveness, etc.

"Hating on gays" is not the way it is supposed to be done. However, even the New Testament is against gays. It's in one of the Corinthian books.

Will gays not be saved? God will judge, but it looks like His judgement will be against them.

The fact that the Old Testament seems to be against women is misleading. Actually, women were being given a gift. They were being settled in a home with a husband to do the exact thing that they were made for... having and raising children. When a woman married, she wasn't responsible for her actions except in the case of adultery. Her husband was responsible for her actions in the community, and she could make him downright miserable if she wanted to.

The O.T. laws were written for the people of Israel because they asked for it at Mount Sinai at the time Moses gave them the Ten Commandments. The other nations weren't being given these law. Only Israel. But the laws are absolutely the best. And they were made to match the customs that Israel had in those times. Most of our present-day nations would be given the laws in different ways than ancient Israel was, just because of our traditions and common law.

This also most likely means one thing: Christ was never god, he simply witnessed the suppression around him(Rome controlled Israel at that time), and choose to make a stand. The only way he thought he could effectively make a stand however, was to agree upon the old testaments teachings(as that's what the jews believed in), and extend further from there. Wasn't perfect, but look at how big Christianity is today.

You can do Internet searches and find sites with all kinds of Bible verses that show that Jesus is God.

That would explain why the teachings of christ differ extremely, extremely far from the teachings, laws, and words of the god in the old testament. Christ himself said he is god the son, and one with god the father, so if a christian is to listen to christ, then he/she must also listen to the atrocious laws that god has made in the old testament.

The O.T. teachings were supposed to revolve around two basic laws: Love for God above everything, and love for ones fellow person a much as for himself. The O.T. laws would produce the best living conditions if they were done out of love. The government of Jesus' day had changed the laws to be legalistic things, things without the love. Jesus was simply bringing them back to the love. He abolished nothing.

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
February 24, 2015, 04:08:44 PM
Jump to: