Author

Topic: [SDC] ShadowCash | Welcome to the UMBRA - page 460. (Read 1289636 times)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500
★ IT's Party Time! ★
December 16, 2014, 09:37:53 AM
What makes you think someone asking for the spend code to be open sourced means they want to buy cheap SDC?

Maybe some people just want to know there are no potential vulnerabilities in the code. The SDC dev team seems to be very competent. However smart people can make mistakes.

Look at what happened at blockchain.info this week despite all their coders, good intentions and VC money. Asking for code should not be viewed as FUD or a personal attack.

I understand that SDC may not want others to copy their coin (like others copied their stealth address code) but the 1st will always be the leader. Copycats cannot be prevented. Many have copied BTC and BTC remains the leader. Many have copied the cryptonote code and XMR (first fair launch) and BCN are FAR ahead of all later copycats.

SDC will remain the leader for this version of ZK tech once it is proves, even when/if others copy it.  Without going open source, there are huge risks to all SDC holders which some are not willing to accept. This is an important moment for the future direction of SDC

I agree with this, the code should be open source for peer review. It is critical for trust, especially when dealing with systems that protect anonymity.

Every coin at this point stands on the shoulders of giants, they all utilize open source code written by programmers who came before them. For the forward progress of cryptocurrency as a public good to continue it must remain open source.

Please, look at these simple words:

I am confused.  Is the present ShadowCash release opensource, or not?

We've committed the verification code for exchanges: https://github.com/SDCDev/shadowcoin/tree/anon
Its enough to build the daemon, and it will be able to accept and verify anonymous transcations.

We've left the spend code out for now, as we wan't to give investors a chance to have something unique.

Most of the checks and validations are done in main.cpp (https://github.com/SDCDev/shadowcoin/blob/anon/src/main.cpp) and ringsig.cpp (https://github.com/SDCDev/shadowcoin/blob/anon/src/ringsig.cpp)

We committed the verification code, so that people can go through it Smiley

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
December 16, 2014, 09:36:55 AM
It has to be provable that no coins have been created out of thin air at any point. If it can't be done, then the value of the currency is zero and nothing can be done about it because no one can say how many coins there actually are. Maybe that can be proven using the currently released source, I don't know. If someone knows, then speak up and explain it before the fork.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
thrasher.
December 16, 2014, 09:28:32 AM
What makes you think someone asking for the spend code to be open sourced means they want to buy cheap SDC?

Maybe some people just want to know there are no potential vulnerabilities in the code. The SDC dev team seems to be very competent. However smart people can make mistakes.

Look at what happened at blockchain.info this week despite all their coders, good intentions and VC money. Asking for code should not be viewed as FUD or a personal attack.

I understand that SDC may not want others to copy their coin (like others copied their stealth address code) but the 1st will always be the leader. Copycats cannot be prevented. Many have copied BTC and BTC remains the leader. Many have copied the cryptonote code and XMR (first fair launch) and BCN are FAR ahead of all later copycats.

SDC will remain the leader for this version of ZK tech once it is proves, even when/if others copy it.  Without going open source, there are huge risks to all SDC holders which some are not willing to accept. This is an important moment for the future direction of SDC

I agree with this, the code should be open source for peer review. It is critical for trust, especially when dealing with systems that protect anonymity.

Every coin at this point stands on the shoulders of giants, they all utilize open source code written by programmers who came before them. For the forward progress of cryptocurrency as a public good to continue it must remain open source.
Activity: 158
Merit: 100
December 16, 2014, 09:25:23 AM
I am confused.  Is the present ShadowCash release opensource, or not?

Part of it is.

See comment from ryno above regarding the verification code (good)

Some are selling (before block 257,000) because of the closed source spend code (scary)
LOL.

Look like someone is trying to buy cheap SDC ^^

SDC will remain the leader for this version of ZK tech once it is proves, even when/if others copy it.  Without going open source, there are huge risks to all SDC holders which some are not willing to accept. This is an important moment for the future direction of SDC
Activity: 308
thrasher.
December 16, 2014, 09:12:10 AM
Of course the github source is production capable! Hense its current state. Every other exchange is using it and so are every one of my nodes.
Its on the op, the wiki, and the website.

The github source has not been pushed to in 28 days, it appeared to us looking through the git commits, the majority of the development was not occuring on the github. Our system requires a somewhat up to date coind API so we can provide proof of reserves.
How "up to date" is PPC and Doge? Just curious because the last commits I see is in July for PPC and August for Doge.

I think it may be off topic but I will answer anyways.

Peercoin development appears to be stagnant as far as merging in updates from main trunks on their main github. However there is a community maintained client called PeerUnity, this client is actively maintained and may eventually take over as the primary client.

The doge github appears to us to be pretty stagnant at this point. It has issues and pull requests piling up and they are not merging in the more recent updates from the trunks. If it continues it may lead us to eventually close our DOGE exchanges.

Hey yourstruly

We've committed the verification code for exchanges: https://github.com/SDCDev/shadowcoin/tree/anon
Its enough to build the daemon, and it will be able to accept and verify anonymous transcations.

We've left the spend code out for now, as we wan't to give investors a chance to have something unique.

Thanks rynomaster, you have built something very innovative. We look forward to seeing your progress as the project moves forward.

We built the wallet and are downloading the blockchain. We will be opening up our SDC exchange within the next 24 hours.
legendary
Activity: 868
Merit: 1006
December 16, 2014, 08:36:46 AM

Part of it is.

Some are selling (before block 257,000) because of the closed source spend code (scary)
LOL.

Look like someone is trying to buy cheap SDC ^^
Activity: 414
Merit: 251
December 16, 2014, 07:55:49 AM

Part of it is.

Activity: 821
Merit: 1000
December 16, 2014, 07:55:14 AM

Most of the checks and validations are done in main.cpp (https://github.com/SDCDev/shadowcoin/blob/anon/src/main.cpp) and ringsig.cpp (https://github.com/SDCDev/shadowcoin/blob/anon/src/ringsig.cpp)

Activity: 438
December 16, 2014, 07:49:28 AM
Activity: 714
RISE Project Manager
December 16, 2014, 07:44:46 AM
Its pretty straight forward.

CTransaction::CheckAnonInputs in main.cpp first checks the key image against the blockchain, if the keyImage doesn't exist in the blockchain, the signatures are verified.

I think its healthy to discuss this, together we can all come up with the way forward.

Thanks for some extra clarification!
Activity: 164
Merit: 100
December 16, 2014, 07:43:22 AM
Its pretty straight forward.

CTransaction::CheckAnonInputs in main.cpp first checks the key image against the blockchain, if the keyImage doesn't exist in the blockchain, the signatures are verified.

I think its healthy to discuss this, together we can all come up with the way forward.
Activity: 490
December 16, 2014, 07:31:36 AM
Cloak had anon that was initially believed to be trustless until it became evident that a posa tx could be decrypted / hacked by a bad wallet (although very difficult to do so) to reveal sensitive data. It took many weeks after testing for that to surface.

Now SDC is doing something different and very clever. It seems SDC is using a purely blockchain based process for issuing / destruction / redemption of Shadow and on that basis, if correct, makes the unforgeability very strong indeed.

From whitepaper.

Shadow can be minted, which will destroy SDC
(ShadowCash), and will output a group of Shadow tokens totaling the same value
(minus the transaction fee) of the destroyed SDC.

The obvious weakpoints in SDC anon, if there are any, as pointed out before by people raising questions would have to be the risk of cheating the system for gain.

What would seal the deal in SDC is:

Irrefutable proof that there is no possibility to hack the wallet to allow minting of shadow tokens without destroying SDC of same value.

This is my concern as well. I plan on dumping all of my SDC quickly because of this fear (before we hit block 257,000) but will come back and buy more once I am confident in the safety of the code.

Things could be great but block 257,000 and forcing a mandatory upgrade by this weekend is way too fast. We need more time and eyes to bug test the code

why?We tested 2 rounds,I'm sure we will all goes well, we should enjoy the happiness of Christmas.
December 16, 2014, 07:10:45 AM
Cloak had anon that was initially believed to be trustless until it became evident that a posa tx could be decrypted / hacked by a bad wallet (although very difficult to do so) to reveal sensitive data. It took many weeks after testing for that to surface.

Now SDC is doing something different and very clever. It seems SDC is using a purely blockchain based process for issuing / destruction / redemption of Shadow and on that basis, if correct, makes the unforgeability very strong indeed.

From whitepaper.

The obvious weakpoints in SDC anon, if there are any, as pointed out before by people raising questions would have to be the risk of cheating the system for gain.

Irrefutable proof that there is no possibility to hack the wallet to allow minting of shadow tokens without destroying SDC of same value.

This is my concern as well. I plan on dumping all of my SDC quickly because of this fear (before we hit block 257,000) but will come back and buy more once I am confident in the safety of the code.

Things could be great but block 257,000 and forcing a mandatory upgrade by this weekend is way too fast. We need more time and eyes to bug test the code
Activity: 714
RISE Project Manager
December 16, 2014, 07:00:48 AM

From whitepaper.

December 16, 2014, 06:56:23 AM
Anyone want to buy SDC off the market?

I want to sell a lot of it quickly but would prefer not to crash the price. Currently there is not much buy support on Bittrex.

Send me a PM if interested
Activity: 700
★ IT's Party Time! ★
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
December 16, 2014, 06:02:41 AM
Hi all

After much planning and development, we are proud to bring you our latest release.  Many of you have been involved in the testing process, and we are very thankful for all the help that has gone into this release.

The main feature in this release is ShadowSend v2, but here's a list of other improvements we've made during the development cycle:

• Anonymous transactions using zero-knowledge proofs
  • Multiblock download (Thin and Full Modes)
  • ShadowChat now shows unread message count instead of total message count
  • Ring size suggestion for Shadow spend transactions
  • HTML options page
  • Transaction type display selection
  • Notification type selection
  • Enable/Disable Thin Mode from options

We thank you all for your patience as well, and without this community, this release would have never been possible.

Without further ado, here is our WP:
ShadowCash: Zero-knowledge Anonymous Distributed E-Cash via Traceable Ring Signatures

Anonymous ZK transactions will only work from block 257000 onwards, as to prevent too many forks in the chain.

This is a mandatory upgrade, so please make sure you are on v1.3.0.5 before the weekend.

OMG!

The Blockchain just got a WHOLE lot better!
"What a long, strange trip it's been"

This is the Dream. This is what Satoshi wanted. This is the Dream

THX RYNO + TECHOVERT: YOU GUYS JUST CHANGED THE GAME!

\o/
Activity: 277
legendary
Activity: 868
Merit: 1006
December 16, 2014, 05:16:40 AM

Is that enough to verify no coins can be made out of thin air?

@yourstruly, can you comment on that if you've had enough time to take a look at the code?

it was tested by a lot of people on Testnet during 1 month

don't worry about that
Activity: 277
December 16, 2014, 05:11:53 AM
I would suggest to name shadow/sdc in frontend very simple and userfriendly. for an example:

- send Anonymous
- send normal

This is easier to understand. For the real tech savvys can read the whitepaper. Its all about userfriendly

Great job! Love the whitepaper !
Jump to: