Pages:
Author

Topic: SilkRoad domain Seized? - page 15. (Read 46621 times)

Activity: 72
Merit: 10
October 02, 2013, 03:12:13 PM

It JUST happened.....I see btc going down a bit, but rebounding.  Might be a nice time to buy

My thoughts exactly.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
October 02, 2013, 03:11:22 PM
pretty obvious TOR has a vulnerability that is being actively exploited - I suppose it's just about possible that freedom hosting was coincidentally found and then every other TOR site was screwed from TORMAIL... but I doubt it.

Wonder if the blackmailer was the prick behind freedom hosting. It's not as if he was a nice guy.

I have some unencrypted stuff on silk road but I have already had the joy of being convicted for it so I hope they waste many hours investigating me  Grin

As for putting a hit on someone, obviously it's not something that most of us could ever justify. But I can see how an idealist could. One prick blackmailer dead versus the many deaths and thousnads of ruined lives that would be an inevitable consequence of a massive silk road leak.

Remember the reason drug dealers (some of them) are so violent is ultimately because they cannot go to the police. It is a direct consequence of the state sponsored war on drugs and the blood is on the politicians' hands.

I think:

Blackmailer = Assassain.

They found no proof that anyone was murdered, as the assassain stated.  Assassain  and blackmailer, one and the same.  Only reason the blackmailer stopped blackmailing after payment received.  Obvious scam against DPR is obvious
legendary
Activity: 4130
Merit: 1307
October 02, 2013, 03:10:30 PM
I've read it all now, and it was interesting.  They definitely did a lot of work on it.

It should be useful for anyone setting up a S.R. replacement as a list of things to avoid doing.  

Overall, after reading the report, I must say that I was impressed by the good work of the FBI on this case.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
October 02, 2013, 03:10:15 PM
However, the court documents note that Canadian law enforcers have said there was no record of a homicide taking place in White Rock, British Columbia at the time.

Do you really think a person on the silk road just went up and shot someone. They probably used a poison method.

Death by poison would be considered a homicide as well, Sherlock..

Not if they aren't looking for it. Look up Robert "Iceman" Kuklinski, many of the people he killed were never linked due to the fact he used poison and it looked like a heart attack.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
October 02, 2013, 03:10:08 PM
A second document alleges that private communications recovered from the Silk Road's computer server suggested the suspect had been willing to pursue violent means to defend his interests.

Not to be a broken record, but nothing that the FBI alleges originates from the server can be trusted.
legendary
Activity: 1498
October 02, 2013, 03:07:42 PM
However, the court documents note that Canadian law enforcers have said there was no record of a homicide taking place in White Rock, British Columbia at the time.

Do you really think a person on the silk road just went up and shot someone. They probably used a poison method.
Activity: 1050
Merit: 110
October 02, 2013, 03:09:42 PM
so is it confirmed bitcointalk admins turned him in basically? in regards to gave his gmail account from his forum post?  thats really shitty to do IMO knowing you are risking the safety of many forum users

You should probably learn to read: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.568744
i did read, do you think i made this out of nowhere? look:
Agents attempting to track the Silk Road founder looked back into early promotion of the site, looking at messages posted on drug discussion forums and WordPress blogs by a user named “altoid”. Agents tracked this name to a Gmail address, which they then claim was registered to Ulbricht.
Read more at http://www.maxkeiser.com/2013/10/silk-road-founder-arrested/#JY38196O3lX0cPIz.99

i was misinformed, SORRY ADMINS MY BAD.
Activity: 53
October 02, 2013, 03:09:19 PM
By the way, if I were trying to get DPR and were a shady spook, I would arrange this sort of thing so he can deny being responsible for the messages... at which point the question becomes which messages WERE you responsible for? After all denying responsibilty 100% ain't gonna wash. Plea bargain here we come...
Activity: 392
October 02, 2013, 03:08:41 PM

Death by poison would be considered a homicide as well, Sherlock..
Activity: 53
October 02, 2013, 03:06:41 PM
pretty obvious TOR has a vulnerability that is being actively exploited - I suppose it's just about possible that freedom hosting was coincidentally found and then every other TOR site was screwed from TORMAIL... but I doubt it.

Wonder if the blackmailer was the prick behind freedom hosting. It's not as if he was a nice guy.

I have some unencrypted stuff on silk road but I have already had the joy of being convicted for it so I hope they waste many hours investigating me  Grin (sniffer dog coincidentally finding something then watch put on my mail, combined with me not really giving a shit about consequences - not likely to have been a sophsiticated operation!)

As for putting a hit on someone, obviously it's not something that most of us could ever justify. But I can see how an idealist could. One prick blackmailer dead versus the many deaths and thousnads of ruined lives that would be an inevitable consequence of a massive silk road leak.

Remember the reason drug dealers (some of them) are so violent is ultimately because they cannot go to the police. It is a direct consequence of the state sponsored war on drugs and the blood is on the politicians' hands.
Activity: 236
Merit: 100
October 02, 2013, 03:06:29 PM
I like the quote on page 13 of the criminal complaint (http://www1.icsi.berkeley.edu/~nweaver/UlbrichtCriminalComplaint.pdf).
"Bitcoins are not illegal in and of themselves and have known legitimate uses."

lol

I guess they intend to sell the seized BTC at auction.  Roll Eyes

Likely to be used in more honey pots.

Good point.  They may be able to keep them for use as assets in future investigations.
Activity: 56
October 02, 2013, 03:04:50 PM
A second document alleges that private communications recovered from the Silk Road's computer server suggested the suspect had been willing to pursue violent means to defend his interests.

It said that messages sent in March and April indicated he had "solicited a murder-for-hire" of a Canadian Silk Road user nicknamed FriendlyChemist who had tried to extort money by threatening to release the identities of thousands of the site's users.
FBI notice It is no longer possible to access the Silk Road's website

Subsequent messages indicated he had been sent a photograph of the victim after paying $150,000 to have the blackmailer killed.

"I've received the picture and deleted it. Thank you again for your swift action," Mr Ulbricht is alleged to have written to an assassin.

legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035
October 02, 2013, 03:03:58 PM
I like the quote on page 13 of the criminal complaint (http://www1.icsi.berkeley.edu/~nweaver/UlbrichtCriminalComplaint.pdf).

lol

I noticed it too, and I liked it.

If you read the full report, you will see that there is no conclusive evidence that the "ordered" murder actually happened, only a suspicion. It may just have been part of an intimidation or something. Not that I'm defending him...

Overall, after reading the report, I must say that I was impressed by the good work of the FBI on this case.
legendary
Activity: 868
Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!
October 02, 2013, 03:03:52 PM

lol

Likely to be used in more honey pots.
legendary
Activity: 1764
October 02, 2013, 03:03:18 PM
regarding this hitman case:

I find this hard to believe, why would he communicate this in clear text? I'm damn sure this guy knew how to use PGP
Activity: 236
Merit: 100
October 02, 2013, 03:02:46 PM

lol

Activity: 103
Merit: 10
It From Bit
October 02, 2013, 03:02:30 PM
2 months ago there was a mysterious post from theymos IIRC, maybe he was in for questioning...

Who will ever really know?  Roll Eyes

"Torvalds was also asked if he had ever been approached by the U.S. government to insert a backdoor into Linux. Torvalds responded “no” while [nodding] his head “yes,” as the audience broke into spontaneous laughter. "
Activity: 252
October 02, 2013, 03:01:51 PM
If they had the hard drive they most likely had the key to operate the site and thus access to that information.

Which also means that his words about hiring a hitman could be forged in order to screw him to the wall harder and remove support from the Bitcoin community.

Yeah I call bullshit on this hitman stuff, he does not look like the sort of person who would put hits out on people. Probably a smear campaign to make him out to be a hardened criminal rather than an business man.

Your basis for calling "bullshit" is he doesn't "look like the sort..."?  Please tell me you're joking.  What should he look like then?  Tony Soprano?  Roll Eyes
Activity: 726
Merit: 500
October 02, 2013, 03:01:29 PM
I would like to know how they found the server.
legendary
Activity: 868
Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!
October 02, 2013, 03:01:07 PM
Someone needs to start working on the Hollywood movie of this story. That kind of publicity can only be good for Bitcoin.

I read the affidavit,  definitely looks like something Hollywood can make into a movie.
Pages:
Jump to: