Pages:
Author

Topic: Silver Wallets a new kind of physical storage for your bitcoin - page 11. (Read 38749 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078
I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

Clearly you are in a mood today to show everyone just how wrong I am, how smart you are, how my coin doesn't make any sense and how you proved it.
So congrats, I had the wrong understanding of the meaning of this sum (which I previously stated correct me if I'm wrong and that it was my understanding to my educational level as this is not my area of studies). You obviously are more educated in this area than I am.
The thing is, I still like the coin, the design, and will be moving forward with it.

Oh and thank you for pointing out the fact that these coins will be minted with an error. I guess now just like Casascius I have my own error coin (unintentionally) and both were do to incorrect or lack of letters. Weird how we are all human and all make mistakes huh?

Wink

Well, I'd characterize my mood as inquisitive as to the reference of this sum on your nice-looking silver coins.  In trying to find out more, I'd characterize your response as defensive.  Because I simply wanted to get to the bottom of it, I went and read the paper.  I hope my clarification helped.  Cheers.
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

Why does anyone memorialize anything? From war heroes to baseball players, from symbols to comic heros, from words to flowers, the sun, moon and stars? Because they like it, it means something, it has to do with something etc. After reading the white paper and understanding it to the point my education level can comprehend I enjoyed this specific (formula, sum, equation, whatever it's called) and what it had to do with. I like that to the lamen eye it is complex, incomprehensible, and gives a little insight into the complexity of bitcoin.

Um, so it sounds like the emphasis is on "little" here.  Smiley

And I'm not saying it doesn't look nice.  Sounds like learning what it refers to is up to me.  Cheers!

Ugh I have you a direct quote as to what it means from the white paper.

You can say "ugh" if you want, but your "direct quote" wasn't very informative.  You vaguely mentioned an "infinite tail" of a distribution and "rearranging" something.  You referred to a sum as an equation.  An explanation of what it means would simply say what the values of g,k,lambda, refer to in context.  I think it's quite okay for you to simply say "i don't know, it looks pretty".  But pretending that you explained something isn't really helpful.

I said that here;

The equation is appealing to the eye

Here;

I enjoyed this specific (formula, sum, equation, whatever it's called) and what it had to do with. I like that to the lamen eye it is complex, incomprehensible, and gives a little insight into the complexity of bitcoin.

Clearly you are in a mood today to show everyone just how wrong I am, how smart you are, how my coin doesn't make any sense and how you proved it.
So congrats, I had the wrong understanding of the meaning of this sum (which I previously stated correct me if I'm wrong and that it was my understanding to my educational level as this is not my area of studies). You obviously are more educated in this area than I am.
The thing is, I still like the coin, the design, and will be moving forward with it.

Oh and thank you for pointing out the fact that these coins will be minted with an error. I guess now just like Casascius I have my own error coin (unintentionally) and both were do to incorrect or lack of letters. Weird how we are all human and all make mistakes huh?

Wink
legendary
Ok, so then I went back to the paper and read the relevant section so I can go ahead and clarify for the purposes of posterity. Smiley

1) This does not have to do with the 51% attack.  This section of the paper is about calculating the probability that a node can spend bitcoin and then maliciously include a transaction that reverses that spend in a subsequent block.  The high-level observation is that the attacker necessarily has to start behind the blockchain because it has to wait for the first transaction to be included in a block before trying to maliciously undo it.

2) The "infinite distribution" referred to is a poisson distribution (a random distribution) so there is an infinite tail.  The particular rearrangement just has to with manipulating the expression of the probability in such a way that there's not an infinite sum to calculate.  By rearranging the sum, we can calculate a finite sum from 0 to k

3) It looks like the coin as printed actually has an error, Satoshi's paper has q= 'probability that he attacker will find the next block' whereas the coin has a 'g', which is undefined in Satoshi's paper.

Cheers!
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062
One coin to rule them all
Coins traditionally display history and significant events/things. the 51% issue is a significant thing in Bitcoin and is worth memorializing on a silver coin.

Absolutely, I live in a country where there is tradition to put all kind of historical stuff on the tail of the coins, everything from from bridges, statues, famous battles.
Content from Satoshis whitepaper on a bitcoin follows this idea. I can relate to Nightowlace's idea here.
legendary

Why does anyone memorialize anything? From war heroes to baseball players, from symbols to comic heros, from words to flowers, the sun, moon and stars? Because they like it, it means something, it has to do with something etc. After reading the white paper and understanding it to the point my education level can comprehend I enjoyed this specific (formula, sum, equation, whatever it's called) and what it had to do with. I like that to the lamen eye it is complex, incomprehensible, and gives a little insight into the complexity of bitcoin.

And I'm not saying it doesn't look nice.  Sounds like learning what it refers to is up to me.  Cheers!

You can say "ugh" if you want, but your "direct quote" wasn't very informative.  You vaguely mentioned an "infinite tail" of a distribution and "rearranging" something.  You referred to a sum as an equation.  An explanation of what it means would simply say what the values of g,k,lambda, refer to in context.  I think it's quite okay for you to simply say "i don't know, it looks pretty".  But pretending that you explained something isn't really helpful.

It's a rather odd feature to put on the coin. I don't agree with the decision.

Otherwise, nice looking coin!

Coins traditionally display history and significant events/things. the 51% issue is a significant thing in Bitcoin and is worth memorializing on a silver coin.

Fair enough, I'm not saying it shouldn't be memorialized.  I'm just wondering if the designer of the coin can comment on exactly what is being memorialized.  So far all I've learned is 'something to do with the 51% attack'.  But then again, I understand that I can go read the paper if I really want to understand.

legendary

Fair enough, I'm not saying it shouldn't be memorialized.  I'm just wondering if the designer of the coin can comment on exactly what is being memorialized.  So far all I've learned is 'something to do with the 51% attack'.  But then again, I understand that I can go read the paper if I really want to understand.

Fair enough, I'm not saying it shouldn't be memorialized.  I'm just wondering if the designer of the coin can comment on exactly what is being memorialized.  So far all I've learned is 'something to do with the 51% attack'.  But then again, I understand that I can go read the paper if I really want to understand.

legendary

Fair enough, I'm not saying it shouldn't be memorialized.  I'm just wondering if the designer of the coin can comment on exactly what is being memorialized.  So far all I've learned is 'something to do with the 51% attack'.  But then again, I understand that I can go read the paper if I really want to understand.
legendary
What does the equation describe?

It's from the bitcoin white paper regarding 51% attack

Does look nice, but I'm also curious about the specifics of this sum.  Why would we want to see it on the face of a silver bitcoin?  Perhaps the designer can offer a comment.

It's the equation on rearranging to avoid summing the infinite tail of the distribution which would prevent (correct me if I'm using the wrong terminology) or make it less likely for an attacker to be able to 51%. The equation is appealing to the eye, incorporates the complexity of bitcoin, and brings some substance into the design. We understand everyone's desire for bitcoin to go to the moon but it's also nice to step back and think about the complexity, the security, and the sheer innovation that is bitcoin.  This is why we chose to incorporate something like this equation into the design.

I guess I need to go back to that paper to see this formula in context.  I just want to note that this is not and equation (there's no equals sign), it's a sum.  Also, it doesn't look like it's a sum to infinity.  It seems to be a sum from z to k.  Again, I guess I need to take a look at the paper for more detail, but what distribution?  what infinite tail?  The number of miners is always going to be finite.
legendary
Activity: 1377
Merit: 1134
The Cryptonumist

Does look nice, but I'm also curious about the specifics of this sum.  Why would we want to see it on the face of a silver bitcoin?  Perhaps the designer can offer a comment.

It's the equation on rearranging to avoid summing the infinite tail of the distribution which would prevent (correct me if I'm using the wrong terminology) or make it less likely for an attacker to be able to 51%. The equation is appealing to the eye, incorporates the complexity of bitcoin, and brings some substance into the design. We understand everyone's desire for bitcoin to go to the moon but it's also nice to step back and think about the complexity, the security, and the sheer innovation that is bitcoin.  This is why we chose to incorporate something like this equation into the design.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250

legendary

legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062
One coin to rule them all

Oh yeah Cheesy Great design.
Activity: 205
Merit: 105
My silver wallet arrived! It's from the first batch of 100 coins (#63). I bought it from Yankee (BitInstant). It was a pleasure doing business with him since he is very patient and I was indecisive. Thank you!
Is anyone going to Bitcoin Chicago? Silver Wallets will have a booth set up. Stop by and say hello if you are, always great meeting people in person.
Activity: 363
Merit: 250
The dies for design #2 are currently being cut. We will be taking preorders shortly. Anyone who ordered a numbered coin from design #1 will have the option to purchase the same # they previously ordered, after that we will open it up to forum members.

Here is a sneak peak of design #2. This is the rendering from the mint.

Nice design.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005
PGP ID: 78B7B84D
The equation makes the coin! I'd definitely want one
legendary
Activity: 1578
Merit: 1000
May the coin be with you..
Definatley getting this, beautiful design to be fair.
And thanks for staying loyal to the people who bought the first batch Wink
Pages:
Jump to: