Pages:
Author

Topic: SkepsiDyne Integrated Node - The Bitcoin Mining Company - page 24. (Read 104236 times)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100
I really wonder however, how you manage to have THIS many hardware failures?!
Easy:

1) He's got a lot of hardware, and plenty of hardware is shipped faulty. So it's numbers
2) He's stressing the hardware, mining really puts hardware through it's paces, and quite a bit doesn't make it.
1) I don't consider 15 mainboards "a lot" - and there were more than 1 DOAs amongst them, reportedly. I don't even blame tawsix for anything, it's just very strage, that the hardware failure rates seem through the roof to me and far above anything I would expect.
2) Then he does something wrong - as he won't disclose exact specs, one can only speculate (no pun intended...). Might be for example a too cheap PSU model that is running too hot or something else like a simple BIOS switch or whatever.

Yes and no. One needs more info for saying whether this was funny. For example if they got all delivered in one run from one dsitibutor it may have been a bad batch and / or a transport issue.

I regularly buy enterprise drives. not so long ago I returned a complete purchase order within 3 weeks as one after the next drive went dead.

Statistical distribution is not normal here, often you have glitches on storage, transport or production.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1007
Easy:

1) He's got a lot of hardware, and plenty of hardware is shipped faulty. So it's numbers
2) He's stressing the hardware, mining really puts hardware through it's paces, and quite a bit doesn't make it.
1) I don't consider 15 mainboards "a lot" - and there were more than 1 DOAs amongst them, reportedly. I don't even blame tawsix for anything, it's just very strage, that the hardware failure rates seem through the roof to me and far above anything I would expect.
2) Then he does something wrong - as he won't disclose exact specs, one can only speculate (no pun intended...). Might be for example a too cheap PSU model that is running too hot or something else like a simple BIOS switch or whatever.
Activity: 90
Merit: 10
Sounds like someone is buying old used parts off eBay and charging the investors for new parts. Is there any auditing of invoices, or is everyone just expected to have faith?
Dear lord, how many conspiracy theories do we have to come up with?

No, it does not sound like someone is buying old used parts.  It sounds like someone is buying new parts that have a pretty standard DOA rate of 2-4%.  I buy a decent amount of computer hardware myself, and I'd guess DOA rates to be around 5% for the stuff I've bought.  So he's ahead of the game compared to my personal data.

agreed just stop with the conspiracies. Seriously it seems perfectly normal.
Activity: 210
I have always been afraid of banks.
Update: second rig came today and is currently up and running.  Still working on the first.  We currently have 13 full rigs up and running.  I will be installing the replacement GPU tomorrow as well, so we'll only be down one card then.  The replacement for the remaining card is on its way.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
Sounds like someone is buying old used parts off eBay and charging the investors for new parts. Is there any auditing of invoices, or is everyone just expected to have faith?
Dear lord, how many conspiracy theories do we have to come up with?

No, it does not sound like someone is buying old used parts.  It sounds like someone is buying new parts that have a pretty standard DOA rate of 2-4%.  I buy a decent amount of computer hardware myself, and I'd guess DOA rates to be around 5% for the stuff I've bought.  So he's ahead of the game compared to my personal data.
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
Activity: 602
Merit: 512
GLBSE Support [email protected]

Easy:

legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1007
legendary
I was thinking about suggesting you keep some spare parts on hand, but OTOH, if you have spare parts to replace anything in any of the computers, you may as well put those spare parts to mining as well, in which case, they're no longer spares.  Wink
Well, it seems we may have another bum motherboard.  I'm going to do more thorough testing tomorrow on it, but I will be ordering a replacement just in case.  At worst we'll have a spare motherboard laying around.  The next computer should arrive by Friday along with a replacement for one of the GPUs, so we'll have almost 14 full computers running by the weekend, and hopefully 15 if I can get this motherboard to cooperate.  I'll update further tomorrow.
One of the shipments didn't come today as scheduled, so I will be getting up the next rig tomorrow when it comes.  That will bring us up to 14 rigs.
Update:  This is the 500th post.  That is all.

edit: Also, no, that is not my real address, nor is my name SkepsiDyne Integrated Node, for those who were wondering.
legendary
I hope that is not your actual address showing when you do a whois.

Phil
You mean it's a bad idea to advertise the location of storage for tens of thousands of dollars worth of computer equipment?  Tongue

+1 to what Phil said though... if that IS your real address, I would suggest... uh... doing something about it.
Activity: 866
Merit: 1001
I hope that is not your actual address showing when you do a whois.

Phil
legendary
Tip: next time use ANSI Editor for design Wink

But the contact page with visible mail address will give you a sh!tload of spam. I don't think that's a good idea.
Na, I do that all the time on websites when I'm lazy about it, and it really doesn't bring in much spam.  Some sites I've had for years that way, and I get maybe a couple spams a month on those mailboxes.
legendary
Activity: 892
Merit: 1002
1 BTC =1 BTC
Tip: next time use ANSI Editor for design Wink

But the contact page with visible mail address will give you a sh!tload of spam. I don't think that's a good idea.
We have ordered a new rig, which is scheduled to arrive by the end of the week.  The rig ordered last week is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, which will bring us up to 14 rigs.

Also, I registered skepsidyne.com a little while ago and recently I threw some pages together (it looks awful but it's concise) that contains some information about the company for people who don't want to sift through this thread for answers.  If you think anything should be added, especially to the FAQ, please say so.  If I hear enough about its looks then I'll put some time into actually making it pretty, but I have been very busy lately and didn't want to spend too much time on eye-candy.
Activity: 22
Merit: 0
Aprox APR return on investment:

Latest dividend return - 1.24% (0.0080015BTC in 6 days on 0.75BTC investment)
Aprox annualized return on investment just from dividends alone (not counting equity) = 60-70% APR
Activity: 602
Merit: 512
GLBSE Support [email protected]
this sucks. your extremely unlucky with malfunctioning and DOA parts.
A surprisingly high percentage of computer hardware is defective from the getgo.  Considering the fact that he has 14 motherboards, 14 sticks of ram, 14 PSU's, 14 processors, and 28 video cards, well, that's 84 pieces of hardware that could be DOA.  Having only 3 parts (that I am aware of) arrive DOA is actually a pretty good percentage...

This, numbers game. Google's had to deal with this for hard drives, they've got their famous study. Bitcoin miners could probably do the same for GPU's.
legendary
this sucks. your extremely unlucky with malfunctioning and DOA parts.
A surprisingly high percentage of computer hardware is defective from the getgo.  Considering the fact that he has 14 motherboards, 14 sticks of ram, 14 PSU's, 14 processors, and 28 video cards, well, that's 84 pieces of hardware that could be DOA.  Having only 3 parts (that I am aware of) arrive DOA is actually a pretty good percentage...
Pages:
Jump to: